Mark Stevens raises tanking

Jonesbag

Riley had three retrirements in Rd 22, 2007, we never attempted to tank - caretaker coaches rarely tank, unless they are assured of a job if they tank...

On an entirely unrelated note - Matthew Lappin retired in Rd 21, 2007 with Ratten as caretaker...

Riley was probably assured a job at Carlton for winning (or losing?) the 'Kreuzer cup'

Do I think we should deliberately try to lose games? No.

Do I think we should refuse to play Green, Moloney, Davey, Jamr etc in the second half of the year if their form doesn't warrant it and we can try our the rest of our list to see who should be retained? Absolutely.

I don't know how far we can sink, but I just cannot envisage a situation where we will finish below GWS. Gold Coast? Maybe.

So what do we have to gain out of this year? We will not play finals and probably won't win many more games than in 2008. But we could get 2 of the best 3 or so kids in the land, another handy player at pick 13-15 and Viney in the mid-20's. Assuming we can make the most of our picks for a change that could set us up for the next 10 years.

It is an absolutely travesty that already after round 3 we are looking forward to our "one day in November" but that is due to the team and where we currently sit not due to any perceived "tanking".

Also, who cares whether outsiders refer to us as "tankers" or make allegations of "tanking"? They can say whatever they want but there is no way they could ever prove anything and if the AFL ever tried to come down on us over it (which they wouldn't) we could take them to court (and win).

We are not tanking FFS anyone who thinks otherwise is either trying to sell papers or has an agenda. It's round 3 and whilst Im not filled with enthusiasm of a big turn around to come it's far to early to write the season off.

If in another 6 rounds we are still winless and there is absolutley no sign of improvement, then it's not tanking it's thanks we know the older brigade can not change so 1 farewell game before spending the season at Casey, and we just play the younger players so by middle to end of 2013 they know the game plan inside out.(but that in itself raises issues with salary cap for player payments of rookies and new draftees)

• Like 1

http://www.heraldsun...c-1226330742519

interesting article in the sun this morn

Not interesting at all in my opinion. The suggestion we knew we would have a bad year and then the implication that we might position ourselves is pure fiction and typical Herald Sun fodder (i.e. when there's no news, mine for it or make it up). Fact is we lost a key member of our midfield for which we have no replacement. Why therefore would we sit on the compo picks given the relative young avg. age of our list and given one 1st rnd. pick is likely to be committed for a FS?

The whole article is a crock.

Headline : TANKING ISSUE LOOMS ....

Column 4 : "It would be ridiculous to suggest that the Dogs or Dees are tanking .."

Sensationalism lives at the H-S

Get a grip

Agree. Now watch Mark Stevens vent that his beloved Doggies didn't receive enough compensation for Ward for going to GWS and comparing him to $cully.

Oh wait, he's already done that.

The whole article is a crock.

Headline : TANKING ISSUE LOOMS ....

Column 4 : "It would be ridiculous to suggest that the Dogs or Dees are tanking .."

Sensationalism lives at the H-S

Get a grip

Yep - the other thing is of course we believe (hope?) we will be better next year and the year after than we are this year so of course we are activating our picks now. Ridiculous premise, ridiculous headline and rubbish article.

I think the Herald Sun is tanking so as to get a better choice for Chief Football writer to replace Mike Sheahan. Jay Clark's ridiculous (almost/actual) defamatory comments about Luke Ball last Saturday night and now the cowardly approach of raising tanking but then declaring "it would be ridiculous" to suggest it bring the Herald Sun to a new low.

• Like 1

I read this article on the train, and then had to reread it again just to make sure i read it right. What an utterly

pointless column-filler. The general concensus around the football community is this draft is the strongest there

has been in some time, hence we and the Bulldogs both activated our compensation picks. Not only that, so too

did Richmond, Brisbane and GWS. Are they all tanking as well?

To say we are already deliberately losing games right now is an insult to our current ineptitudes.

That's the way i saw it. Why else would he leave Trapper on the ground to wander free? Riley knew what the prize was. He was gone 1-2 weeks later. I wasn't at all suprised.

You should go and start up a tank-i-leaks blog, might save us all the dribble you're posting here.

I thought Riley put in for the Melb job but did not get it. Then went to Carlton

Happy if this did not happen but it's the way I remember it.

I thought Riley put in for the Melb job but did not get it. Then went to Carlton Happy if this did not happen but it's the way I remember it.
That's the way is happened if you take it at face value. If you're a great big conspiracy theorist, it's that Riley already had the Carlton job sewn up and acted as a double agent. I take it at face value (because of lack of evidence to the contrary) - I'm expecting to be told by stmj that I don't get it and that all the real thinkers understand what really happened.

I thought Riley put in for the Melb job but did not get it. Then went to Carlton

Happy if this did not happen but it's the way I remember it.

Could have produced less than the DB era?

Guest José Mourinho

nice article of 'convenience' raising the tanking issue, then cowardly suggesting it can't be called tanking at round 3 right at the end of the article.

make the big headline then retract the insinuation right at the end. pathetic article.

Mark Stevens is apporaching the Jon Ralph school of utter gutter journalism, saying anything just to sell some papers whether its true or not. Then in this case not even standing by your thoughts.

Neither of them have anything on Damien Barrett though.

A weasel of the lowest order.

And we 'tanked' one game in Rd 18 of 2009.

Anyone talking about tanking in Rd 3 is a little misguided - to put it politely.

How exactly did we tank genius? We were ahead when the siren went. Or are you saying we stuffed that up as well ha ha.