Demonland

Big things were predicted for Bennell after he completed a strong preseason but his form in 2011 was patchy.

He was tried with moderate success in defence and up forward but failed to string together many successive good games.

Games MFC 2011 16 MFC Total 51 Goals MFC 2011 5 MFC Total 20

Games CSFC 2011 16 Goals CSFC 2011 5

Needed player. Love me some Jamie. Becoming solid in the backline and deserves a better crack at it in 2012.

Best game was the Collingwood game, where he completely shut Krakouer out of the forward line and forced the Pies to send him to midfield to get a decent touch.

Could be a very good player.

The very big could word - has all the tricks except one - that is getting the ball 20 times plus per game. Once he learns that trick he will be a gem

• Like 1

The very big could word - has all the tricks except one - that is getting the ball 20 times plus per game. Once he learns that trick he will be a gem

You beat me by a minute Nutbean. "could" is the word.

After 50 games I would have thought he would be a lot better by now.

Will need a big 2012 for mine.

I am still waiting impatiently

Perhaps all he needs is some "tough love"...and hopefully Neeld may be the person to provide it.

Hope you are right ht I have suffered through a lot of ordinary ones in his total of 51

I like Bennell, he can play and hopefully he can take a spot in our back 6. He has to learn to put his head over the footy and get the flashy one hand pick up attempts out of his game, it looks great when it comes off but when it doesn't it looks soft.

Edited by drdrake

The upside to this kid is enormous, and I'm a fan, but geez it's frustrating at the moment. He shows these flashes of how good he could be, and then the next game struggles again. I only hope that this new coach can find a way to get through to him. That said, if he manages to get through to all the players I'm hoping he does, then the bloke might as well be JC :lol: I do love the way Jamie plays, but it's like something hasn't twigged yet. Really does need to show some solid improvement next year, otherwise it starts to become hard to justify his position IMO.

Guest The Exorcist

Disappointing season. Let's not mince words, needs to pack on some muscle, get angry and start running at the ball and the man in a straight line.

If he won't do it in 2012, delist him.

Hope you are right ht I have suffered through a lot of ordinary ones in his total of 51

Like you, old dee, I must have missed a lot of games as if I were asked to guess, I would have said maybe 25-30 games. Many have been quite underwhelming.

Good talent: let's see what an uncompromising coach and fitness team can get out of him, or rather help and guide him to get out of himself.

Like you, old dee, I must have missed a lot of games as if I were asked to guess, I would have said maybe 25-30 games. Many have been quite underwhelming.

Good talent: let's see what an uncompromising coach and fitness team can get out of him, or rather help and guide him to get out of himself.

Definately 51 over 3 seasons

yep, when you judge him against the rest of the '08 draft he doesnt really stack up. He hasnt become a settled consistant player yet.

Having said that, the review on the clubs website resonated with me - if they stop swinging him from backline to forward line he might be able to actually learn a position and develop there. bit like stef martin, give him a role (ruck) to learn and focus on and he has come good

Jamie seems to have most of the attributes to be a very damaging player off HB or wing. His ball handling skills and pace are near the elite level. The problem is that we only see occasional cameos, and he then 'goes missing' for a quarter or more. I have no idea why this has become the norm with Jamie. Is it lack of desire / willingness to impose himself on the game(?), poor endurance (?), lack of confidence (?), the absence of a settled role within the team (?). Who knows? If Mark Neeld and his team can identify and address the problem(s), I think we will have a star on our hands, if they don't, then Jamie is in danger of falling by the wayside. 2012 is a very important year for him.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 2

chalk one extra on the COULD list.

There are a handful of players I expect to improve in quantum leaps as a result of a little 'whispering" Bennel is one. 2012 will be very interesting on so many fronts.

• 3 months later...

Jamie really made great strides for me in the last three games of the year when he was allowed to settle as a lock down small defender. It appears that he will continue down that road this year and I think as his confidence grows you will see him improve the attacking side of his game and increase his possession count. Observing training he seems to have improved his body shape over summer and I would have him as smokey for most improved player by end of year.

I was at training earlier this week and Neeld and Choco continually directed the ball to be delivered via JB, I think Neeld has big plans for him, could be that he will prosper with a clearly defined role, contrary to the past where he has floated forward and back. I think he will continue to improve as a lot of players do between 50 -100 games.

From the training reports so far, Jamie seems to have made significant strides this pre season, but IIRC, he was doing similar things at this time last year. There is no denying his talent, so lets hope that 2012 will see him cement a regular spot in our best 22. He has the class to be an excellent player imo, and I'm hopeful that our new coaching panel will bring out his best.

• Like 1

From the training reports so far, Jamie seems to have made significant strides this pre season, but IIRC, he was doing similar things at this time last year. There is no denying his talent, so lets hope that 2012 will see him cement a regular spot in our best 22. He has the class to be an excellent player imo, and I'm hopeful that our new coaching panel will bring out his best.

Leopards!