2½ MONTHS

Demonland

2½ MONTHS by Whispering Jack

Time flies. 

It's close to 2½ months since the 2011 season ended for the Demons and, for the fans, this period has been dominated by two major sets of stories, one negative and the other positive.

The first has been the fallout from the disappointment of a season that went decidedly pear-shaped for the Melbourne Football Club. The team, with its young list was expected to continue its trend of improvement in 2011 and a finals appearance or two was not considered out of the question. That never happened. Instead, the club laboured under the strain of injuries, poor form, question marks over the game plan and the dark grey cloud of the Scully saga. 

Ultimately, Dean Bailey was sacked, the team limped into 13th place and Scully, as predicted by most in the football world, accepted a lucrative offer to join the AFL's new franchise, the Greater Western Giants.

All of these issues have resurfaced in the past 2½ months. The MFC board's sacking of Bailey and the extension of CEO Cameron Schwab's contract continue to be questioned in some quarters from time to time and, in the case of the Scully saga, the young man's credibility over comments he made during his last season at the club was significantly damaged by further revelations including those surrounding his father's employment as a recruiter and the AFL's decision to include his remuneration as part of that club's salary cap. The state of Scully's injured knee which limited him to just ten games in 2011 also continues to come under scrutiny.

Indeed, the Scully situation degenerated into farce with various media pieces including comments from the youngster, some of which contradicted statements made by him early in the year ("I know my future's here and I anticipate I'll be here for the rest of my career") while others, such as the Age article Courage under fire published on Remembrance Day, border on absurdity.

The suggestion made on this of all days, that it took courage for a 20 year old to accept a playing contract that will reportedly see him collecting $2m next year while his father also gets paid between $100,000 and $200,000 is risible and an insult to the intelligence of readers.

Still, life goes on, Scully is now the property of another club and that club continues to have major problems of its own as it prepares for its debut season in the AFL.

On the other hand, the really big story of Melbourne's off season so far has been the seamless way in which Jim Stynes' reluctant deputy Garry Lyon has made every post a winner in restoring stability to the club after the firestorms of July and August. This has led to a total overhaul of many of the club's structures, in particular the troubled football department, the appointment of new coach Mark Neeld and a bevy of new assistants,  new football department head Neil Craig (invaluable with his coaching experience and sports science background) and the club's head of strength and conditioning David Misson.

Neeld set an instant example with his proactive role in securing Mitch Clark in the club's first major recruiting coup in over a decade. The way in which this was achieved demonstrates that Neeld is a man who gets things done.

Neeld and Misson were  both lured from Collingwood and St Kilda respectively - two clubs that have featured strongly in recent grand finals. They know what it takes to win premierships and, as this article by Mark Stevens in today's Herald Sun suggests - Mark Neeld's hardline approach to lift Dees out of the doldrums - they have literally hit the ground running in their quest to raise the standards of their young list to those required to achieve success in the elite form of the game. The same message appears in today's Melbourne Age article by Michael Gleeson entitled  "Neeld's blank canvas".

2l8ko6h.jpg

Neeld is giving the place a much-needed shake up and no player will be immune from his direct approach. He swiftly laid down the law with Colin Sylvia over that player's recent late night activities and has made it clear at a number of levels that past reputations mean very little to him as he sets about "challenging people, respectfully".

This is the good story of the off season to date for the Melbourne Football Club and one which should pale thoughts of the departed Scully to the oblivion where they belong.

The many young, talented players on the club's list are being challenged as they never have before and we can expect some major changes in both body shape and attitude from many of them. Some, like Rohan Bail and rookie Dan Nicholson who have hitherto been very much unheralded, are thriving at early pre season training sessions. Others are finding out just how tough life will become under the new regime.

The Stevens article mentions that it will be imperative for Liam Jurrah to work "as hard defensively as when a goal is on offer". Neeld's stern advice to number one draft pick Jack Watts has also been noted - Lift your game Melbourne Mark Neeld tells Jack Watts.

The player whose progress I will watch closely is Cale Morton, taken at No.4 in the 2007 draft, but whose development seems to have stalled in the past two seasons. The impression gained from watching him on the ground is that he lacks confidence although he clearly has talent and ability. When I met him at a dinner attended by some club supporters and a handful of young Demon players (including Scully) late in the season, I found him to be anything but the shy and reserved person I was expecting and, indeed, he came across as the most impressive young man of the group. 

I hope that he takes up his coach's challenge head on along with his many talented young team mates as Mark Neeld's canvas begins to take shape and colour.

Another in the gun is the talented Cale Morton, who was taken at No.4 in the 2007 draft, but is yet to fulfil his potential.

"It was a similar message to Jack [Watts]. Get to know the conditioning staff and the strength staff really well. You've got four months to put yourself in the picture to play senior footy," Neeld said.

"Good luck, have a go at it, see how you go.

"I have had a chat with Cale and asked him where he thought he could play . . . and I think he told me any position except for the ruck, so that's a positive."

Jack, to put it simply, I hope they all take up the challenge. They are there of their own volition, no one's press ganged them into a life of sport and indeed AFL. This is their life. Yet some still have to be nagged and cojoled into action all the whiles taking home a very heathy pay packet. Its been far too cushy for far too long for far too many.

We've all been hoping , praying let alone insisting that things change at the MFC. That time has come.

Cream rises.

I read both articles in the papers, pleased with the words, was OS when the shite hit the fan late this season, but it was a lot of doom,

now at least the position seems to have reverted to looking up, and I am as positive now for 2012 as I was 12 months ago looking forward to 2011

I wonder how many of our "stars" will rise up with our expectations as they absorb the workload MN and the other coaches are putting on them!

Blimey I hope our players respond with the desire to play well like most supporters on these web sites expected them to do.

Go Dees Give 'em HELL !!!

just a thought on the notion of REPUTATION - I think Daniher epitomised how fraught with error it can be when you allow yourself to let players take their place in the side based on what they have done in the past. The worst example for mine was Brad Miller. This bloke played about 5 good games but inexplicably took the field for us 133 times. It is almost as if these rare performances cemented him in Daniher's mind as our star KPP and booked him in for nine seasons. Of course we ended up being a side that was lacking a couple of key ingredients that kept us from the ultimate glory, who knows what might have happened had ND realised Miller was not the man and recruited/poached/developed a better replacement. If I was Neeld I'd be telling the players that I don't give a rats about the great game ou played on Barry Hall once, or even the great season you had a couple back, i'm only interested in what you are going to do for this week's match.

• Like 1

Has the great Norman Smith been reincarnated???

Hell -- sure sounds like it, and sure hope so.

Sends shivers down the spine.

Ditto & thanks WJ.

What interests me is what was it that impressed you about Cale Morton?

The four players who came to dinner that night were all impressive characters in their own way but it was the refreshingly honest way that Cale was able to discuss where he was at this stage of his career that impressed me the most.

I'm glad that Mark Neeld has publicly thrown the challenge to him. It suggests that if Cale is up to it then he has a role to play in his future plans for the team and a 194cm player with a big tank can be invaluable.

The four players who came to dinner that night were all impressive characters in their own way but it was the refreshingly honest way that Cale was able to discuss where he was at this stage of his career that impressed me the most.

I'm glad that Mark Neeld has publicly thrown the challenge to him. It suggests that if Cale is up to it then he has a role to play in his future plans for the team and a 194cm player with a big tank can be invaluable.

And where WJ DOES he think he is on that journey ?

Neeld has 21/2 months to get this list ready for season for 2012, it will be then when we can see if the improvement is enough.Neeld has shown he will go after and get what he wants re Clark whom he saw to cover one of our major weaknesses being a tall forward.He has identified other weakness and it will be very interesting to see if he goes after other experienced players to cover the list shortfalls he has identified.

Edited by jayceebee31

I'm not sure that it's right to go into all the detail but it's fair to say that he thinks he can improve on 2010/11 and needs to settle into a role at the club.

I think it should also be stressed (and I'm referring to the group and not any particular individual) that while the emphasis at this early stage of pre season training would appear to be on physical conditioning - and we know the new regime feels that the group is way behind the leading clubs in this area - that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Neeld has to work out how a team that can win three games by 15/16 goals can also capitulate by 31 goals to Geelong in the same season. Politics of the time aside, there's the mental factor that allows such results that needs to be tackled head on as well and that will be part of the challenge for every member of the list from our first round picks right through to the rookies.

• Like 2

I would back that Cale and Neeld both know here he is at, i dont know why people seem to think that Cale believes he is in brownlow form when he obviously isnt. I dont know many players who dont understand their own form especially when it is lacking and any level of any game.

Also the article sounded like Cale is an impressive individual in many ways, and we all know he has talent, but has been unable to use it recently....for what ever reason.

If anyone can turn Cale into the player we all want, i think Mark will be it with his hardlined approach and expectations.

I would back that Cale and Neeld both know here he is at, i dont know why people seem to think that Cale believes he is in brownlow form when he obviously isnt. I dont know many players who dont understand their own form especially when it is lacking and any level of any game.

Also the article sounded like Cale is an impressive individual in many ways, and we all know he has talent, but has been unable to use it recently....for what ever reason.

If anyone can turn Cale into the player we all want, i think Mark will be it with his hardlined approach and expectations.

Would love to see him go toe-to-toe with Brogan next year. Another reason to look forward to round 13.

This is why iwas curious as to where Cale himsefl thought he was. Often our own thinkings arent as many others see ourselves. I was interested to understand whether Cale was au fait with the view many of us have and if he shared it , or if he actually thought he was going ok .

Ive often thought of him as a 3 legged stool missing one leg. . He has the ability and skill just lacks the grunt. For mine if he cant find that aspect of his mojo he might as well stand aside and let someone else actually play footy, to be involved in the game. Hes like a spectator from amidst, quite bizarre really.

I'm of the opinion that talk is cheap at this time of year. It's easy to come in and say or intimate that the previous lot were below par. I could go back and find the initial Bailey threads which were full of enthusiasm and positivity.

Whilst I'm also happy with the way things are going Neeld has yet to show anything. The recruitment of Clark was due mainly to Tim Harrington's work, not Neeld. And while we have a chest beating media performer I'll wait for the performances.

Our win loss performance last year was better than I expected and If the Club had been well managed may well have been better. Our list was the youngest and second least experienced aside from the Suns, it suffered injuries to key players prior to the start of the season and as a result our already weak midfield was weakened.

Our losses were terrible and I've no issue with Bailey being replaced. But I'll wait until Neeld does something other than talk tough before I'll claim him the messiah.

Having said that, I'm pretty optimistic.

• Like 3

A question:

You have entity A

You have particpants P

You have status S

Old management is OM

New management is NM

Now NM come into A and note that P are S. Thas is just what IS. How else can they describe it other than S ?

NM arent particulalry looking to bignote themselves or lambast OM they are just acknowledging that S is S.

if they are honest they cant say anything else can they.??

If they are to do a proper job they have to begin with where things are. That is all they are doing

Some one asks them what they think...and they say so... . Yep maybe talking the talk so to speak, but as any acreditation of efforts to date are unmeasurable thats all they can show for whats hapened to date.....surely.

I'm of the opinion that talk is cheap at this time of year.  It's easy to come in and say or intimate that the previous lot were below par.  I could go back and find the initial Bailey threads which were full of enthusiasm and positivity.  

Whilst I'm also happy with the way things are going Neeld has yet to show anything.  The recruitment of Clark was due mainly to Tim Harrington's work, not Neeld. And while we have a chest beating media performer I'll wait for the performances.

Our win loss performance last year was better than I expected and If the Club had been well managed may well have been better.  Our list was the youngest and second least experienced aside from the Suns, it suffered injuries to key players prior to the start of the season and as a result our already weak midfield was weakened.

Our losses were terrible and I've no issue with Bailey being replaced.  But I'll wait until Neeld does something other than talk tough before I'll claim him the messiah.

I don't understand where you get the idea that Neeld is "chest beating".

He has articulated exactly what he wants from the players at this time and he speaks logically and with the authority of someone who comes from a successful premiership winning club. 

We're not expecting him to win matches in November but he's done nothing other than demonstrate that he's determined to turn the club around from where it was when it suffered those terrible losses under Bailey but that is in no way what I would describe as "chest beating".

I'm of the opinion that talk is cheap at this time of year.  It's easy to come in and say or intimate that the previous lot were below par.  I could go back and find the initial Bailey threads which were full of enthusiasm and positivity.  

Whilst I'm also happy with the way things are going Neeld has yet to show anything.  The recruitment of Clark was due mainly to Tim Harrington's work, not Neeld. 

I think it says a lot for all of us after so many years of frustration and failure that we can still be optimistic about the future and I share that optimism.

However, part of my optimism stems from the role Neeld played in convincing Mitch Clark to come to the club. I think you've underplayed his role in the recruiting coup of the trade period.

Apart from the fact that it was such a good story, it demonstrated something about Neeld to the club, the players, the supporters and to the football world as a whole - his determination to succeed at getting his man. 

I accept that the credit for the legwork might deservedly go to Tim Harrington but Neeld the coach also took the flight to Brisbane and fronted Clark along with CEO Cameron Schwab. I call that a team effort.

I'm not sure that many newly appointed coaches would have done that and I think it's fair to say that the player would have been impressed with such a high powered delegation seeking to persuade him (against the odds I might add) to come to Melbourne rather than to his publicly declared destination of preference, Fremantle.

That achievement alone suggests to me that Mark Neeld is about much more than cheap talk.

• Like 2

Right now looks like Neeld is certainly getting cracking. He has definitely got a better list than the last bloke....and a club that is on a decent financial footing ......and he seems to be getting on with it.

That is all great to see and I expect it helps us all look forward to the new season.

As far as the media statements (particularly around individual players) go I can do with out that. I wonder if it's actually Mark's style or a club plan.

Anyway pretty minor in the scheme of things but it would be interesting to ask Neeld in a few years time whether he recokons that was the best way. If we are holding Premiership 13 I guess the answer will be yes!

Conspiracy theory time - anyone else notice how the "capturing Mitch Clark" story always features Neeld, and was a party of 3, but it changes within a combination of Neeld, Schwab, Harrington, Josh Mahoney and Jade Rawlings?

Might be lazy and poor journalism, but I also get the feeling it may have been a carefully scripted story to appeal to supporters and the footy media as a whole, but at times Neeld has slipped and given the wrong names.

Conspiracy theory time - anyone else notice how the "capturing Mitch Clark" story always features Neeld, and was a party of 3, but it changes within a combination of Neeld, Schwab, Harrington, Josh Mahoney and Jade Rawlings?

Might be lazy and poor journalism, but I also get the feeling it may have been a carefully scripted story to appeal to supporters and the footy media as a whole, but at times Neeld has slipped and given the wrong names.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I reckon it's just lazy and poor journalism though.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I reckon it's just lazy and poor journalism though.

Yes, it is more likely that.

And sub-editors change things because they think it flows better. ie. if you mentioned Mahiney earlier in the article the SE thinks you will tie him in later and then changes the name because the journo in question 'must' have 'misheard.'

Anyway...

Did you hear the story of when Michael Jordan, Bob Hawke, and the dolphin from Seaquest 'single-handedly' recruited Mitch Buchannon from Baywatch?

"Some people stand in the darkness..."

Anyway...

Did you hear the story of when Michael Jordan, Bob Hawke, and the dolphin from Seaquest 'single-handedly' recruited Mitch Buchannon from Baywatch?

"Some people stand in the darkness..."

I think you will find the dolphin was actually the kangaroo from Skippy (Bob 'arranged' it)

Edited by daisycutter