Ross Lyon

Grandson of a gun

I reckon for all intensive purposes on the new coach possibility, that Ross Lyon be typed as RL and Garry Lyon as GL. Only because reading Lyon says that Lyon is doing this or that it can get a little confusing, :wacko:

Confucious say, 'Man who purposes with intensiveness holds himself hostage to desire.'

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of messages on Twitter from AFL Newsbreaker and TrueSainters.

@Truesainters........BREAKING NEWS: Ross Lyon has come to agreement with the St Kilda Football Club and will be staying on throughout 2012 & beyond.

@Aflnewsbreaker.......@RobWaters10 @TenSportMelb has confirmed Ross Lyon will be staying at @stkildafc.However he is still in contract negotiations.

Clearly nothing definite, if you have a look on @stkildafc they mention nothing.

This story also appears on @aflnewsbreaker before the story regarding our compensation picks which is also on AFL website and MFC website but neither have any news on this Ross Lyon story!

Edited by waikikkamukau

sportingbet and sportsbet have taken down the "next MFC Coach" betting.

I know you should follow the money but that indicates to me a coach for MFC is now most likely known by some.

If RL was re-apponted to ST Kilda I would assume they would just make his odds longer like they did with Clarkson. Strange.

Edited by Franky_31

There are a couple of messages on Twitter from AFL Newsbreaker and TrueSainters.

@Truesainters........BREAKING NEWS: Ross Lyon has come to agreement with the St Kilda Football Club and will be staying on throughout 2012 & beyond.

@Aflnewsbreaker.......@RobWaters10 @TenSportMelb has confirmed Ross Lyon will be staying at @stkildafc.However he is still in contract negotiations.

Clearly nothing definite, if you have a look on @stkildafc they mention nothing.

This story also appears on @aflnewsbreaker before the story regarding our compensation picks which is also on AFL website and MFC website but neither have any news on this Ross Lyon story!

There is always the possibility that Rob Waters is full of crap. You would expect far more exposure for an announcement this big.

Edited by Bluelegs

I really am sick of looking at four million websites to try and find the latest news on who our coach is. I hate the fact that an opinion is thrown up from healy,sheehan,Ox,sportsnewsfirst,my mum and the milkman (Stay away from my mum milkman!!) and it is taken as truth when nobody seems to know much at all. Everyone is telling us what they think and it is reported as fact and a lot of people including myself get sucked in everytime.

it MOVED from OPINION ! to TONY TARDIO NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT !!

CONVERSATION; AS IT UNFOLDED..

DWAYNE RUSSEL before 7pm, " i think RL will go !

GERARD HEALY <"i think that RL will stay & he will announce to saints players to be ready for a big pre season,

& he thought SCOTT BURNS would be a good fit for MELB. with NEIL CRAIG as an overseer"..

it then went to news where it was announced that RL OR CLUB. will make his announcement tomorrow that he is staying at STK;

after coming back to dwayne & gerard.,:

DWAYNE said " i have been set up & that gerard knew all along..

GERARD ,denies this.

AND then puts a call out to any SAINTS FANS, ru happy that RL WILL BE STAYING.?

whereby a few rang in to say YES....

later GERARD comments that WHISPERS states that DON MC. IS IN PERTH TO SEE SCOTT BURNS & that CAM SCHWAB has bee seen WITH NEIL CRAIG..

;FLAMIN HECK

NO WONDER THE "SCULLY " thread went 50 PAGES.

it MOVED from OPINION ! to TONY TARDIO NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT !!

CONVERSATION; AS IT UNFOLDED..

DWAYNE RUSSEL before 7pm, " i think RL will go !

GERARD HEALY <"i think that RL will stay & he will announce to saints players to be ready for a big pre season,

& he thought SCOTT BURNS would be a good fit for MELB. with NEIL CRAIG as an overseer"..

it then went to news where it was announced that RL OR CLUB. will make his announcement tomorrow that he is staying at STK;

after coming back to dwayne & gerard.,:

DWAYNE said " i have been set up & that gerard knew all along..

GERARD ,denies this.

AND then puts a call out to any SAINTS FANS, ru happy that RL WILL BE STAYING.?

whereby a few rang in to say YES....

later GERARD comments that WHISPERS states that DON MC. IS IN PERTH TO SEE SCOTT BURNS & that CAM SCHWAB has bee seen WITH NEIL CRAIG..

;FLAMIN HECK

NO WONDER THE "SCULLY " thread went 50 PAGES.

Well that clears it up then...

Sounds like we're going to end up with a first time Coach - not the worst thing but it'd be good to have someone like a Neil Craig in the Bomber Thompson type role.

Having said that, not every coach needs an older experience coach with them. Hird was an unusual one, he had absolutely no experience as an Assistant, and everyone agrees that Voss should have had some help, but he was in the same boat. The Scott's, Hardwick etc didn't have any help and I'm not sure it's greatly hindered them.

Although StKilda could be meeting for any number of post season debriefs, it just doesnt make any sense for him to be meeting with the team to clarify that he was going to continue as coach.....which he had already stated.

Surely at most its a presser and a club announcement.

Oh well, interesting times

Sorry but Garry would not be walking around telling people if true. Unless your niece was having breakfast at gazz's and throwing toast around the kitchen, she may have miss heard the conversation.

she txt me and swears that what she heard, Garry wasn't talking to her but she overheard it, but as we know all stuff is just chinese whispers

Sounds like we're going to end up with a first time Coach - not the worst thing but it'd be good to have someone like a Neil Craig in the Bomber Thompson type role.

Having said that, not every coach needs an older experience coach with them. Hird was an unusual one, he had absolutely no experience as an Assistant, and everyone agrees that Voss should have had some help, but he was in the same boat. The Scott's, Hardwick etc didn't have any help and I'm not sure it's greatly hindered them.

I hope not, we need experience, I'm still hoping that Viney will coach one more year then Malthouse takes over

Anyone else confused there is no media on this apart from ten and 3aw.

Why a meeting with players?

Thats right and the reports that our 'Coach Team' scouts are all around the country??? Why if true if we're about to Sign Lyon??? Or is this another media play to 'Play', everyone?

Or are they playing the field, to check every option, before meeting to decide the best coach, or coaching team?

I'm not sure why we are playing this out in the media?

she txt me and swears that what she heard, Garry wasn't talking to her but she overheard it, but as we know all stuff is just chinese whispers

This is hilarious - in the same mould as Judd's grandmother.

Nevertheless, this is what I heard from a close friend of my Dad's over dinner last Thursday night.

Her demon-supporting son ran into Ron Barrassi the day before (Wed last week). They were keen to know about Scully and the new coach. RB did not yell from the rafters but did confirm both rumours as true.

1. Scully gone. However, for 6 yrs at 6 million, rather than the usual 5 for 5.

2. Ross Lyon signed, sealed and delivered for five million over five years to the Demons.

I still wait with anticipation as to the truth of the latter, but she was certainly right with 1. She doesn't even follow the footy!

Thats right and the reports that our 'Coach Team' scouts are all around the country??? Why if true if we're about to Sign Lyon??? Or is this another media play to 'Play', everyone?

Or are they playing the field, to check every option, before meeting to decide the best coach, or coaching team?

I'm not sure why we are playing this out in the media?

Ok....here we go again. It's heresay off SEN's 'All Night Appetite' last night with host Cameron Luke and somone else, maybe Darren Parkin, not sure who the other host was. Whoever it is is a Demon supporter anyway . I returned home from work and was looking for anything on web/here re news on Lyon and heard this around 2am on their show...

They took a call from a regular Collingwood insider on there. I didn't pick up who it was as i came in just after call started. However he wasn't a nobody as he was giving away excess finals tickets, $30 below face value and some free to kids etc for one of the matches this weekend.

He stated the following.....take it however you wish...

- After the loss to the Swans....Lyon decides it's time for a shake up in the playing list and he also wants to make a few technical changes and adjustments to the FD. Obviously this was partially played out on the night with the announcement of the four retirements & delistings. He believes this is a non-negotiable if the Saints are to have any chance of a another GF shot. Not a full rebuild but still significant enough that it 'might' ruffle the feathers of a few people both at board level and also within the playing group.

- He informs his leadership group of the intentions (sometime over the weekend...maybe after the game itself in the rooms).

- The leadership group have probably met informally after this at some point to discuss. They then head over to RL's place on Monday night for a solid informal chat fest. They confirm to Lyon that they are in full support of his proposed changes and that they will back him all the way in 2012.

- With the leadership support behind him, Lyon goes to Board (yesterday...and this is where the media circus spot some of the movements and some misinterpret them early as a change happening!) and confirms what he feels is required and what his intentions are for 2012.

- The board agree in principal and state their intentions that he is a required coach going forward and that they wish to finalise contract negotiations ASAP (Note: This part wasn't conveyed in the interview......pure speculation on my part)

I guess that then leaves it as an issue for settlement between Lyon and the Saint's board over the next week or so. But definitely no serious interest in the Demon offer at this point (formal or otherwise).

I think all our offer is doing at this point is forcing the Saints to potentially pay over what they had in mind and also potentially offering him a longer contract deal to seal it. Lyon's management would no doubt be using our offer (formal or otherwise) as leverage.

The only glimmer of light in the call was that the same insider believed that Mick was a great fit for Melbourne. And although reluctant to see him go, he believed it was in the best interests of Mick, in terms of doing the right thing by him after all his given the filth, to let him follow his wishes and continue coaching. Again pure speculation but this view just might be something that's permeating from the top (Eddie) down.

P.S. I'm not sure it's 'us' that's playing it out in the media Dee.....just the usual media circus.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Ok....here we go again. It's heresay off SEN's 'All Night Appetite' last night with host Cameron Luke and somone else, maybe Darren Parkin, not sure who the other host was. Whoever it is is a Demon supporter anyway . I returned home from work and was looking for anything on web/here re news on Lyon and heard this around 2am on their show...

They took a call from a regular Collingwood insider on there. I didn't pick up who it was as i came in just after call started. However he wasn't a nobody as he was giving away excess finals tickets, $30 below face value and some free to kids etc for one of the matches this weekend.

He stated the following.....take it however you wish...

- After the loss to the Swans....Lyon decides it's time for a shake up in the playing list and he also wants to make a few technical changes and adjustments to the FD. Obviously this was partially played out on the night with the announcement of the four retirements & delistings. He believes this is a non-negotiable if the Saints are to have any chance of a another GF shot. Not a full rebuild but still significant enough that it 'might' ruffle the feathers of a few people both at board level and also within the playing group.

- He informs his leadership group of the intentions (sometime over the weekend...maybe after the game itself in the rooms).

- The leadership group have probably met informally after this at some point to discuss. They then head over to RL's place on Monday night for a solid informal chat fest. They confirm to Lyon that they are in full support of his proposed changes and that they will back him all the way in 2012.

- With the leadership support behind him, Lyon goes to Board (yesterday...and this is where the media circus spot some of the movements and some misinterpret them early as a change happening!) and confirms what he feels is required and what his intentions are for 2012.

- The board agree in principal and state their intentions that he is a required coach going forward and that they wish to finalise contract negotiations ASAP (Note: This part wasn't conveyed in the interview......pure speculation on my part)

I guess that then leaves it as an issue for settlement between Lyon and the Saint's board over the next week or so. But definitely no serious interest in the Demon offer at this point (formal or otherwise).

I think all our offer is doing at this point is forcing the Saints to potentially pay over what they had in mind and also potentially offering him a longer contract deal to seal it. Lyon's management would no doubt be using our offer (formal or otherwise) as leverage.

The only glimmer of light in the call was that the same insider believed that Mick was a great fit for Melbourne. And although reluctant to see him go, he believed it was in the best interests of Mick, in terms of doing the right thing by him after all his given the filth, to let him follow his wishes and continue coaching. Again pure speculation but this view just might be something that's permeating from the top (Eddie) down.

P.S. I'm not sure it's 'us' that's playing it out in the media Dee.....just the usual media circus.

I was starting to think along those same lines Re RLyon & the said proposal. I still have a sneaking suspicion that we've been into MM since around April/May? I hope not.for mine, the pies don't play enough hard physical brand footy, that I'd like Us to do.

I prefer the teams style liike the Matthews Lions/ the Hawks style/ & the Cats way around.

I do Not like the Tight floods & presses of the Saints & the Pies. I hope we don't go this way. Bring back some Biffo!