The Demons @ Docklands

TheOx05

Afternoon...was reading the Herald Sun online just now and came across this in an article about the Docklands District...

Meanwhile, Melbourne Football Club has stepped up talks with Melbourne Council about the Demons' hopes of building a multi-million-dollar training facility in the shadow of the Bolte Bridge to help bring the precinct to life.

The club recently held a community meeting in Docklands to explain its plan for a shared facility with Netball Victoria.

It would be built at Waterfront City, along the eastern edge of Moonee Ponds Creek and next to the Bolte Bridge.

Modelled on grounds such as Princes Park and Punt Rd Oval, it would include a gym, aquatic centre, medical centre and possibly a childcare facility for community use.

I know its old news but the community meeting is a step in the right direction..

Afternoon...was reading the Herald Sun online just now and came across this in an article about the Docklands District...

Meanwhile, Melbourne Football Club has stepped up talks with Melbourne Council about the Demons' hopes of building a multi-million-dollar training facility in the shadow of the Bolte Bridge to help bring the precinct to life.

The club recently held a community meeting in Docklands to explain its plan for a shared facility with Netball Victoria.

It would be built at Waterfront City, along the eastern edge of Moonee Ponds Creek and next to the Bolte Bridge.

Modelled on grounds such as Princes Park and Punt Rd Oval, it would include a gym, aquatic centre, medical centre and possibly a childcare facility for community use.

I know its old news but the community meeting is a step in the right direction..

The major query I have with a training base at Docklands is that it always appears to be one of the windiest places in Melbourne.

• 8 months later...

I work at the Docklands and it is very windy there all the time.

Will give us something to talk about during the lull, but not sure how it fits with our tennancy at the MCG and long term lease arrangement at Casey?

Is it essentially just a move away from Olympic Park to the Doclands and that's it?

• Like 1

I thought that we have just signed up for the 'state of the art' facility at Bubbledome, and the Gosh's Paddock was regarded as an excellent training oval? And we have the commitment to Casey, though I am not sure how long.

Won't this just spread our brand thinner, and add to the concept of us as a nomad club, as was Fitzroy in its declining years?

Surely there must be some super financial deal to get us to move from the current arrangement to another stadium in that soulless part of town,

Is it another move to shift our home games away from our true home?

I thought that we have just signed up for the 'state of the art' facility at Bubbledome, and the Gosh's Paddock was regarded as an excellent training oval? And we have the commitment to Casey, though I am not sure how long.

Won't this just spread our brand thinner, and add to the concept of us as a nomad club, as was Fitzroy in its declining years?

Surely there must be some super financial deal to get us to move from the current arrangement to another stadium in that soulless part of town,

Gee M I wouldn't think that anyone who goes to Gosch's Paddock would call it an "Elite Training Oval" it is after all just a paddock.

Casey has been committed to as our Summer Training base and a base for community activities.

There is more to this move than just a footy ground. Melbourne is trying to strengthen their brand in Melbourne. The Precinct already house a lot of people and more to come. These people have money and will look for a local club to identify with. Melbourne will still play at the "G" the club hasn't got back into bed with the MCC for nothing.

I'm not really a fan of this move. I like the fact that after years at the Junction Oval we have finally come "home" (well as close to home as home can be be) and are now ony minutes walk from the MCG. I know our admin is set-up at the G and so there is a split there between the admin/FD but I would prefer that than moving out to Docklands which is a pretty horrible area of the city. As stated we have only just moved to the Bubbledome which is in the heart of the sports precinct and would prefer we maintain ourselves there rather than up and moving again. Our new FD has come in and said our new facilities are equal to anyone in the league so after all these years I guess the main issue is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Is definitely something that I would want to see raised at the AGM as this is something that seems to have not been fully disclosed to the members. Most of our info comes from snapshots in the Hun or Age.

• Like 1

Been a while coming, had a few guises but could be very interesting. The knockers might want to think for a moment. "Do yo seriously think that the club(s) havent already thought of just about every relevance and condition ...already?"

This isnt ..an oh..lets just pop down the road by the bridge. Theyve had years to pour all over this idea, refine it, nudge it etc.. Its very worthy of consideration.

I agree Dr Gonzo - the close link to the MCC/MCG, both physically and spiritually is important. In an ideal world the entire club would be based at the G - advance gyms/pools in one of the stands, train on the G once a week. See about building a training ground in Yarra Park with replica MCC Pavillion for 'Heritage' and play the low drawing teams there. Fanciful, but would be great.

If we see ourselves outgrowing AAMI then we have to look at alternatives.

I know it makes a few dizzy after all the talk form the club saying they are so glad not to be nomadic anymore...

But, that's life. Things change.

I would love for Casey to have a 25k seater stadium that we play GWS, GC, PA, Freo, Adel, and WCE as it would make us a power club and assure our future but that is probably not going to happen...

I think the AFL may get involved in this proposition and may include this ground- Western Park, the 3rd ground to cover all needs.Smaller revenue earning games could be played there.

If they did,they would build a roof over it.If not, netball will be played there, and therefore a roof would be a requirement, I believe.We may be able to get another major sponsor to have naming rights of the ground.Some of these thoughts will be interesting to see if they are included in the final proposal by C.S.

Yeah, succession planning is completely pointless...

Sustainability comes to mind.

For those wondering about AAMI Park (& Gosch's Paddock) and Casey, there is a short term agreement with AAMI where the costs are "would prefer a lower/better agreement" so it can be reviewed when and if required (I think the initial term IIRC was either a 3 or 5 year agreement).

The Casey arrangement is a long term investment where the club seeks to leave a footprint in the huge developing growth community, by being active in community projects and mixing with local schools & projects; with it's alignment with Casey Scorpions (hopefully soon to be Casey Demons - ppov). It's a long term 30 year arrangement .

So if or when the Docklands project comes to fruition, there will still be a stake in the development and relationship with Casey as it stands now. The Docklands project I would imagine (as it's reported) will allow a better balanced outcome than the AAMI arrangement and the club would have access to the same if not better facilities and it's offices all in the one precinct.

I wouldn't be so quick to thumb thy nose and dismiss it.

AAMI Park is far superior to Junction Oval. However, that doesn't mean it's ideal, so why wouldn't we look at alternatives?

The current administration weren't in love with the AAMI Park deal and, even now, it's not up to scratch in terms of office space etc, so I'm glad the Club is exploring other options.

The Casey commitment is neither here nor there; 'Western Park' would replace AAMI Park.

Another move? What was our other move?

Might be a bargaining chip in negotiations with AAMI Park - if we've got no other viable alternative they've got us over a barrel.

True. And it may well work that way in the next lot of terms when the current term arrangement expires. AAMI would be doing very well housing Victory, Storm, Demons.

Thanks to all for their various opinions and clarifications.

I was almost a Schultz - "I knew almost nothing"

I didn't read anything in that article this morning that was new information.

Did I miss some little gem?

No DC you did not miss a thing.

We will be in wheel chairs before it happens.

IMO it is a potential future development plan.

If the MFC is based at docklands before 2030 it will be a miracle.

This may be out of left field, but if a Docklands base means that the whole club is located in one location then this is a good thing.

I certainly believe that the current set up, whereby most of the senior management are located at offices in the MCG, while the footy department is at Olympic Park, was one (not necessarily the primary) cause of divisions within the club in 2011. It tends to encourage an 'us versus them' culture. I've witnessed this at many organisations and footy clubs are no different.