3 things I learnt

deemonkey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of reminds me of our own supporters. We were touted top 4 after last week by quite a few. This week. Crucify. Own.

Only if it's the same ones that touted top 4 doing the crucifying .

Seem to think it was more media driven anyway .

Some perspective?

1) Supergoal rule hurt us. Nugget/ Bate/ Dunn etc kept trying to slot em from outside 50 when they could have run in.

2) We had Evans playing in the midfield, Warnock KPB, Jones looking sore, no chip, scully, mckenzie, petterd

3) We were still with them at 3/4 time at Etihad in the NAB cup where the bombers desperately need to win to vindicate their appointment of Hird.

I think all is not lost! Lots to work on but at the G in the h & a season we'll win that game.

1. Good signs from some, bad signs from others. I liked Bartram, Maric and Trengove, and Dunn seems to be carrying on from where he finished last year. Jones is more agile and more willing to try agility rather than bullocking only. Bad signs from others, Bennell was patchy, MacDonald did well for a while but lost concentration and discipline as the game went on.

2. We are experimenting with the defence while Frawley is out - a LOT of zoning and reading the play for intercepting marks, rather than manning up. Particularly from Grimes and Rivers. Working this way let through a lot of goals and marks in forward 50.

3. The forward line is hugely promising but not there yet as a 'unit'. Worries on Bate - I love the guy and his efforts, but things just don't seem to quite go right around him!

3. The forward line is hugely promising but not there yet as a 'unit'. Worries on Bate - I love the guy and his efforts, but things just don't seem to quite go right around him!

That sums it up nicely.

Hopefully by mid-season/end of the year, these guys will know each other a lot better than they do now, and we'll have a forward line.

1. Joel M seems to lose his composure when under siege (esp in last Q)

2. How rare it is for the MFC to physically impose themselves (i.e. still young), loved Dunns heavy body work and general aggro.

3. In this even a comp, 4 quarter intensity is the key to our year.

1. Our switches of play usually go backwards and put our teammates under more pressure

2. Jack Trengove is a star (just needs to have the remainder of our best mids around him all the time, Sylvia, Scully, Mckenzie) and can take a great leaping mark when required

3. We need to not bomb it forward all the time, on occasions it works but it is much better to hit up a target.

Hopefully we learn from our errors, but the game was not as bad as some have made it. If you are sensible you know where we are at, and at the moment we are middle of the field if we play our best, if we play our worst we will be cellar dwellers again.

Yes, yes, and stating the bloody obvious is wortwhile when most posters don't see it.

We all talk about the talent that is 21 and under then in the next breath talk about flags as early as next season and top 4 this season.

Geelong's superdrafts were 2000 and 2001 and they won a flag in 2007.

Ours were 2007, 2008 and 2009 and we want one in 2012.

So the three things are:

1. We wont get a flag or top 4 in 2011, but should make the 8.

2. We should aim for top 4 in 2012, and GF in 2013.

3. Put those last two dates back a year if Scully goes to GWS.

1, Bate is in the best nick of his career (please don`t confuse that with `form`). He needs to start imposing himself on the contest a bit more, he is quite a big and solid unit now. He is one of those rare breeds that looks slow, but is deceptively quick (like Swan)

2, I`m not expecting any of our most recent draft picks to have much game time in 2011. Early days i know, but nobody is sticking their hand up just yet.

3, We missed Junior`s tackling pressure in this particular match and I dare say, will do so for the season proper.

1. Joel M seems to lose his composure when under siege (esp in last Q)

2. How rare it is for the MFC to physically impose themselves (i.e. still young), loved Dunns heavy body work and general aggro.

3. In this even a comp, 4 quarter intensity is the key to our year.

1/ That, at his age & maturity means he's not a leader, but is a fine competitor, with strong leaders about him.

2/ Dunn 2 shirks early,,, just before he went in hard & low was, it looked to me, to make up for shirking the first 2... I hope it was intentional, to go in hard anyway, & not a dive. I'd need to see it againn to be sure, but no mistake the shirks.

3/ Intensity is much needed, agreed, but some of our players are playing to get through the preseason. We can't afford to lose someone like Jamar,,, or even Warnock, with Frawley down. Whereas other kids need to push to show their improvement.

We shouldn't get too underwhelmewd with pre season... I remember Todd V,,, going easy in the preseason comps & training. But fullon in the season proper.

Yes, yes, and stating the bloody obvious is wortwhile when most posters don't see it.

We all talk about the talent that is 21 and under then in the next breath talk about flags as early as next season and top 4 this season.

Geelong's superdrafts were 2000 and 2001 and they won a flag in 2007.

Ours were 2007, 2008 and 2009 and we want one in 2012.

Not that it is in anyway important, but 99 and 01 were their years. 00 was Hunt and sweet fa else.

However looking this up inspired me to scroll through a few more years of the draft focusing on Geelong. I find it incredible that luck/skill can result in such amazing draft years as those two, yet 02/03/04 returned them close to NOTHING.

Not that it is in anyway important, but 99 and 01 were their years. 00 was Hunt and sweet fa else.

However looking this up inspired me to scroll through a few more years of the draft focusing on Geelong. I find it incredible that luck/skill can result in such amazing draft years as those two, yet 02/03/04 returned them close to NOTHING.

Good work and it is important - there drafts were 99 and 01 and they got it done in 07.

That is eight years.

So if we were to follow - 2015 would be our year with a few years of being thereabouts leading up to it.

But here we are in 2011 expecting to be thereabouts already.

Our hopes and expectations...

Muse fans can tell you the next line.

Good work and it is important - there drafts were 99 and 01 and they got it done in 07.

That is eight years.

So if we were to follow - 2015 would be our year with a few years of being thereabouts leading up to it.

Many have been sucked into the Dawks timeline .

Got up and pinched 1 considerably quicker than Geelong .

Edited by Fork 'em

That is eight years.

Our hopes and expectations...

Muse fans can tell you the next line.

FCS I am sick of this type of garbage

who the hell cares what some club did in x amount of years

WE ARE NOT THEM. IT IS NOT 5 YEARS AGO.

and whatever has happened in AFL history has stuff all to do with the future of the MFC

1. Maric might actually crack into the side.

2. I miss James Frawley.

3. Jordie McKenzie is extremely important to our side.

Been happy with Maric's improvement, Id say a cert for Round 1

and whatever has happened in AFL history has stuff all to do with the future of the MFC

So where is our list at then ? It's arguably younger than last year and it's still yet another development year this year. rpfc highlighted that we may be thereabouts leading up to 2015. What is wrong with that ? Is it not good enough ?

Fwiw, there is nothing wrong comparing against a yardstick (arguably former yardstick) in terms of the timeline to reach the pinnacle. I can't fathom how you think it is "garbage". At all. Stating that is ridiculous.

You're an excitable fellow, aren't you?

We have unrealistic expectations.

I'll finish the Muse song for those interested...

Our hopes and expectations, black holes and revelations.

Unless you tamp down the first two, you're going to get the last two.

Edited by rpfc

Many have been sucked into the Dawks timeline .

I think they peaked at the right time, if they left it later they would have missed out. In 2008 they had Franklin winning the Coleman, Crawford was on his last legs as were Croad and Dew. I think they are a chance again this year but it has taken them a while to recover from the loss of the senior players.

Bombers in 93, Hawks 2008 and the Pies in 2010 are the 3 youngest (average) sides in the past 20 years to win flags.

It's doable and we should stop mollycoddling our young group. They need to learn how to play with INTENSITY every week. Nothing less is acceptable.

Results will follow.