Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

Club to Assess Training Program

Recommended Posts

No coincidence imo that the two most maniacal trainers are the two with foot stress issues (Viney/ T Mac).  these blokes need to be saved from themselves more than anything else.  Just do the set training and don't do too many extras

I LOVE their committment and they are the two best leaders at the club but they are precious commodities

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right on cue we lose Hibberd to a quad injury at training. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we just copy what Richmond are doing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

how many soft tissue injuries we had this season?

Edited by Grapeviney
Deleted a quote with an expletive-filled rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think it’s missions fault you need to look at the players 

viney

mcdonald 

stretch

all have 1 thing in common they are the hardest trainers at the club they probably just need to calm down a touch 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nearly every team has had foot injuries this year. Cory Gregson is out again with a navicular injury that requires surgery. Toby Greene missed over 10 weeks with a foot injury. Rory Sloane. Just to name a few.

Edited by Clintosaurus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

 

Muckraking. Guessing Mark Stevens is all over this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a similar theme I would like to see them do a review of the VFL team. Although it's winning it does not seem to be producing players that can slot into the AFL team. It could be the players but one wonders whether the structure and VFL game plan is necessarily the best for upskilling our players.

I'm no expert but it is an area hot for radical thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

Can we just copy what Richmond are doing?

 

How about we just copy Richmond's Doctors....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our training oval is rock hard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jnrmac said:

How about we just copy Richmond's Doctors....

 

38 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Our training oval is rock hard

Hasn't anyone heard of sprinklers, and doing some ground maintenance,,,,  instead of just manicuring the grass?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our training oval is as hard as a turf wicket. Was gobsmacked when I had a kick on it recently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ICU2 Jerry Jerry said:

Our training oval is as hard as a turf wicket. Was gobsmacked when I had a kick on it recently 

I had a kick there on Saturday afternoon for about an hour it was really hard, looked great but the grass offered no cushioning at all.  I wonder if Collingwood had many stress related injuries when they trained at the same oval 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DubDee said:

how many soft tissue injuries we had this season?

Not terribly sure, and frequency seems to be accelerating. Why not ask a few of the players? There are at least a dozen who could answer this year alone. My thoughts are often focussed upon relieving the experience and expertise of Lewis as a player - to be more influential at the coaching level in the first place right across the board. If someone as great as Paul Roos took on a 2IC in training, surely Goodwin and Company could do the same, accepting the fact that Lewis knows the answers more fully than they do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

On a similar theme I would like to see them do a review of the VFL team. Although it's winning it does not seem to be producing players that can slot into the AFL team. It could be the players but one wonders whether the structure and VFL game plan is necessarily the best for upskilling our players.

I'm no expert but it is an area hot for radical thinking.

The problem with the VFL team is that it largely consists of developing key position players (and Pedersen) and more established flanker / utility types. When the injury list consists of elite midfielders and key position players, the cupboard is bare when it comes to like for like replacements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next to our ground at Goschs the victory train. Before they train they turn on the sprinklers. These are the pop up/integrated watering systems (just need the tap turned on and off). My guess is because they play through the warmer months they do this to soften the turf. Their fields are also immaculately groomed. Makes me wonder why the stronger professional league, AFL doesn't get premium care by the managers of the paddock.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that the MFC has announced they are investigating the injuries publicly suggests this is no ordinary review. They could have just gone about assessing their training without making it public which I am sure happens to some degree all the time.

So for me, this is the beginning of some over due changes to our sports science team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is any announcement required ?

Surely businesses conduct reviews on an ongoing basis ?

All rather odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

The fact that the MFC has announced they are investigating the injuries publicly suggests this is no ordinary review. They could have just gone about assessing their training without making it public which I am sure happens to some degree all the time.

So for me, this is the beginning of some over due changes to our sports science team.

Good call.

 

 

My 5c worth is...

1. Don't let players decide that they will play 2 weeks after a plantar-fascia operation.

2. When the physio comments that the player's foot injury is directly related to his 'poor core stability', that is code for "I have no idea about musculoskeletal foot pathology, but do this in case it works...eventually".

3. Foot surgeons are experts at foot surgery.  We overrate their knowledge about how to deal with secondary and tertiary sequale of the original/main problem.  As Lyon says, let the 'cobbler's do the cobbling'.

4. Full-time foot/ankle expertise at AFL clubs is a myth at the present time and will be standard practice by 2030.  It will take another 12 years for the penny to drop that money should be spent on the cake, and not the icing.

5. Go to 1

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TGR said:

Good call.

 

 

My 5c worth is...

1. Don't let players decide that they will play 2 weeks after a plantar-fascia operation.

2. When the physio comments that the player's foot injury is directly related to his 'poor core stability', that is code for "I have no idea about musculoskeletal foot pathology, but do this in case it works...eventually".

3. Foot surgeons are experts at foot surgery.  We overrate their knowledge about how to deal with secondary and tertiary sequale of the original/main problem.  As Lyon says, let the 'cobbler's do the cobbling'.

4. Full-time foot/ankle expertise at AFL clubs is a myth at the present time and will be standard practice by 2030.  It will take another 12 years for the penny to drop that money should be spent on the cake, and not the icing.

5. Go to 1

 

 

whats your vested interest.... I ask with interest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×