For those who underrate our 2021 premiership…

Cassiew

On 20/09/2024 at 20:18, Cassiew said:

Just think when we were down by 19 points at 3 quarter time. Many (myself included) thought it was over and we’d blown our chance. Had we lost that game our drought would now be 60 years. Only 3 other teams  have gone that long (Sydney, St Kilda and Footscray.) We didn’t get another crack at it and our premiership window may be closed now. That was our one chance to win a flag and we did it. 
Be always thankful for that.

We should have at least made a prelim in 22 and the GF in 23.

Sure we got our premiership (in front of WCE members) but we wasted the 2 years after 21.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 20/09/2024 at 22:51, fr_ap said:

The criticism isn't always about shortened quarters...it's also about doing it away from the cauldron of the MCG and without the distraction and pressure that the normal week brings. 

Even though we absolutely [censored] it in, I do wonder whether we would have got it done at the G. We'll never know but there's enough fragility about this group to suggest to me the forced relocation and togetherness was actually an advantage rather than a hurdle.

I most definitely agree with your last sentence.

Also the fact that we had the vast majority of WA football fans that hopped on the Demon bus.  Trust me, they were loud, very loud.  I was lucky enough to make it over there.

I reckon at the GF it was around a 65/35 split, maybe even a 70/30 split and the noise was unbelievable. Think West Coast and Freo supporters combined, charged up, enjoying the show, particularly when we got going in the third quarter (yes, including the booing). Our players must have relished all that. It was pure magic.

Last but not least, let’s not forget the fortnight earlier when we busted Geelong out of the park. I reckon it might have even been more noisy then. My theory being that they must really hate Geelong. Crowd would have been say a 75/25 split. Most memorable moment? When the whole crowd started chanting ‘Gawny, Gawny….’ You just had to be there. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hi.  Haven’t posted here for a long time.  But my family and I are die in the ditch dees.  We are Perth people - I have been a member for 30 years and my son since he was born!!!  Courtesy of a well known Demonland member ( she will know who she is and we are forever grateful) my wife and daughter were also able to experience the amazing 25/9/21 day.   I am amazed at why anyone would try to take the gloss off this day.   You can find tiny things about everything if you want perfection.  But , gosh , just enjoy.  It was the most amazing thing.  We will have our day in Melb soon - but you don’t need to talk this down in the meantime.   Just enjoy 

• Like 10
  • Love 8

5 hours ago, Harbinger43 said:

Hi.  Haven’t posted here for a long time.  But my family and I are die in the ditch dees.  We are Perth people - I have been a member for 30 years and my son since he was born!!!  Courtesy of a well known Demonland member ( she will know who she is and we are forever grateful) my wife and daughter were also able to experience the amazing 25/9/21 day.   I am amazed at why anyone would try to take the gloss off this day.   You can find tiny things about everything if you want perfection.  But , gosh , just enjoy.  It was the most amazing thing.  We will have our day in Melb soon - but you don’t need to talk this down in the meantime.   Just enjoy 

Absolutely love this. You would never have expected it in your wildest dreams. Perfect.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2024 at 22:25, Roost it far said:

I’ve got a bombers mate who’s adamant the Dogs were unlucky not to win it. I still can’t understand his logic after a dozen tries. Something about Fritsch’s second goal being lucky and an unplayed free kick prior to Brayshaw’s goal. 😂

I can't believe you're mates with a Bombers fan. Find a new mate

• Like 2

On 23/09/2024 at 00:20, Harbinger43 said:

I got the chance to go over there for a grateful fan who paid for me to come over after I gave him my GF ticket.

I was wondering what was the weather like? I saw people alternating between hot and cold weather wear and size watching the GF I’ve been curious about it

On 21/09/2024 at 16:27, Jaded No More said:

I’d argue that given the Dogs form at the MCG, and given we would have had far more support on the day given the MCC is so heavily stacked with Melbourne supporters, we would have won comprehensively against the Dogs at the G too. 

To suggest 2021 was a Covid flag is just wrong. It was full games, full quarters, not one single game was shortened or missed. But we had to play multiples games interstate and hub for weeks prior to the grand final, and needed to win 3 straight away finals to win it all. It was and always will be the single hardest premiership to win for a Victorian side. It was a golden opportunity for the interstate sides and they [censored] the bed. Too bad so sad. 

Thank you Jaded. You have corrected fr_p and another poster. 

IT WAS NOT SHORTENED QRTERS.  That was in 2020.Also I haven't heard anyone call Richmond's 2020 flag called a Covid flag.    

As for fr_p again I call you out. 

Yes for about 4/5 games in July our form dipped and we lost as you said to Dogs GWS and drew with Hawks at the G. I don't think you can query the Adelaide game we won by 41 pts in the final quarter after a 3 quarter tussle when Fritta had a purple patch.

BUT our form in the last 4 H and A games was great like our Finals when it mattered. 

Gold Coast T Marvel  90 odd pts WIN at Marvel 

Cats that last quarter comeback from 44 pts down at The Cattery WIN 

West Coast WIN by 12 pts at Optus after being 30/40 pts up before the lightning strike! WIN

And Adelaide as above. 

And 30 plus pts in Qual Final at Adelaide Oval vs Lions leafing all day. WIN 

Prelim Final at Optus vs Cats a thrashing 80 pts with Maxy  kicking 5 goals the hero. WIN 

Spoiler Alert. if you believe Chris  Scott  said Cats had Covid / Virus which killed their chances. 

And the Granny. 74 pts vs Dogs  our 13 th flag !!!! WIN 

IMO nothing too fragile about those last 7 games when all said and done. 

You may look at things being half empty but it’s the end results that count. 

We were the best side in 2021 and I believe no matter where we played the Finals we would have prevailed.

I was in Perth for the GF and yes the second term and the third quarter for 15 mins was a tussle but once we hit our straps no way were the Dogs going to challenge us that day. 16 of the last 17 on that day. Unbelievable and not been seen in a GF or other game for years if ever. 

It was a great effort to win our Flag away in strange and unusual circumstances and our team adapted and was razor sharp at the end part of the 2021 season. Results do not lie. 

There are no asterisks to any AFL/VFL flags as all are earnt over a season, not just 2/3 finals games in the end. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Questioning our flag is just stupidity.  It is probably in the top 3 most legitimate flags in the last 15 years.

Flags that should have questions over them

Richmond 2020 - shortened qtrs

Hawks 2013-15, Tigers 2017/19, Pies 2023 - Won on their home ground against interstate teams.

Dogs, Geelong - GFs played in Melbourne against interstate teams.

Probably the only flags that aren’t tarnished in some way recently are West Coast and Sydney 2012 who had to beat their opponents on their opponents home deck.

Edited by Watson11
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't understand why people are saying it's not a real premiership. 

I mean not every gf has been won at the G.

I reckon we did it harder because the players were away from family & friends, out of their comfort zone, couldn't really go anywhere, away from there home & had to win on a different ground.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Yeah I don't understand why people are saying it's not a real premiership. 

I mean not every gf has been won at the G.

I reckon we did it harder because the players were away from family & friends, out of their comfort zone, couldn't really go anywhere, away from there home & had to win on a different ground.

Correct ... the Demons won our first flag at the old East Melbourne ground (1900) and a number of other venues have been used for the GF including the Lake Oval, Junction Oval & Princes Park

In a parallel universe the GF might have been played at all sorts of different venues if not for the MCG contract

So, it doesn't matter where you play the GF, as long as you win it!

That's all that matters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

On 23/09/2024 at 00:20, Harbinger43 said:

Some D landers over think things at times. I don’t think  and never will that our 2021 team was fragile far from it. We lost  only 4 games that year and won the flag in Finals with almost record margins. 

Also some  fans are always looking at the half glass empty way of life. Credit where it’s due in 2021 but greater reasons for our failures in 2022/23 than being at the MCG have been mulled over adinfinitem

Lrys move on and rejoice after 3 years  and give cheap reasons for other Clubs to sneer at our success. . 

We won in a most challenging year when we adapted superbly to the tasks and situation at hand. 

West Coast and others sooked it up and ended ruining their own dynasty and have not recovered yet. And tha AFL other Clubs just love it.  

• Thanks 1

I also was lucky enough to make it to Perth to witness our glorious victory. After witnessing our defeats in 1988 and 2000 it was bloody fantastic. I travelled from Queensland spent 2 weeks in Quarantine in Tasmania and then flew to  Perth. What annoys me about this site is the presumption that everyone at the game were  West Coast Supporters dressed up as Demons. Just not true. I was surrounded by die in the wool Dees. I went to the final training day on the Friday and not sure how many Dees  supporters were there but heaps as were the thousands who gathered in the Mall on Sunday as Garry Lyon presented the players and the guttural roar that emanated from the crowd when we hit the front in the 3rd quarter was spine tingling. My point is there were so many true supporters there. I would suggest there were double the number of true supporters at that game compared with the paltry crowds who came out to support the Dees in our last 2 home and away games this season. Just saying.

• Thanks 1

On 20/09/2024 at 22:26, No10 said:

I will dissent. Although that premiership was a magical moment and hard earned in its own way. It wasn’t under the pressure of the MCG and all that comes with a traditional finals series. For which I’d argue we’ve shown deficiencies.

We need to win it at the G. And we will.

Agree.. I doubt we would have won the premiership that year if there wasn’t a Melbourne lockdown and games were played at the G

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Best flag ever, as it's written in the AFL record books as ours forever.  For the finals we were the dominate side. 
We haven't performed as we should have in the finals of 22/23. More so in 23 and how it may have turned out without the hit on Angus.  

The crowd was dominated for support for the Dee's.  

P.S. I still greatly appreciate the members that shared their numbers that allowed more of my demon supporting family members And lots of others in the WA supporter group) to attend here in WA (since at the time we only had 1 GF guarantee membership).

2025 will be our year again :) 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Winners at last said:

I'd trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday.

Not really sure how that is relevant, but it sounds profound.

Thanks Kris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched the 2021 AFL Grand Final last night.

Brought back some amazing and wonderful memories. Seeing the Melbourne Demons break their 57 year Premiership drought was probably one of the most happiest days of my life. Finally claiming our 13th Flag.

Christian Petracca was a titan winning the Norm Smith Medal. Angus Brayshaw was inspirational too. For us to come back from 19 points down half way through the third quarter was incredible.

Just hope we can win our 14th Premiership at the MCG very soon!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Watched the 2021 AFL Grand Final last night.

Brought back some amazing and wonderful memories. Seeing the Melbourne Demons break their 57 year Premiership drought was probably one of the most happiest days of my life. Finally claiming our 13th Flag.

Christian Petracca was a titan winning the Norm Smith Medal. Angus Brayshaw was inspirational too. For us to come back from 19 points down half way through the third quarter was incredible.

Just hope we can win our 14th Premiership at the MCG very soon!

Gus’s contribution that day is underrated by so many - incredible 3rd quarter doing so many of the 1%’s 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Saw the other day that Mark "Choco" Williams has a side hustle selling little models of the MCG.

He was promoting them on Fox Footy a few nights ago.

Here's the link for anyone interested: https://mcgshop.com.au/mymcg-replica-stadium/

A bit too expensive for me. But each to their own.

Anyway, I digress, after watching the 2024 Grand Final on TV, I have gotta admit winning an AFL Premiership at the MCG on Grand Final Day is the ultimate triumph. The AFL did an impressive job getting Katy Perry to perform. Although, $5 million dollars for 20 minutes of work is a pretty sweet deal for her!

Now, don't get me wrong, the Melbourne Demons winning in Perth at Optus Stadium in 2021 was wonderful. Especially as we ended our 57 year Premiership drought.

But winning a Premiership at the home of football at the MCG must be the ultimate objective. I hope Simon Goodwin and many of the Melbourne Demons players got together to watch the Grand Final on TV and it motivates them to aim for Premiership glory next year in 2025.

Winning at the MCG would be absolutely amazing for us as long-suffering Melbourne members and supporters. Particularly if it's a beautiful day on the last Saturday in September. The COVID-19 lockdowns back in 2021 prevented us from celebrating the way we deserved to do.

I am sure many of us want to celebrate a Premiership win here in Melbourne at the MCG so we can paint the town red and blue. Go crazy and party all night, go to a few pubs, get drunk and pass out in Swan Street, Richmond or some other place in the City.

Ideally, we will have our home base built at Caulfield Racecourse in a few years so we can celebrate at our Home Base too! Especially, as I don't think the Melbourne Demons have any specific supporter friendly pubs like the Brisbane/Fitzroy Lions do such as the Royal Derby Hotel on Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.

Anyway, let's hope we don't have to wait another 57 years to celebrate our next Melbourne Demons Premiership and that it is at the MCG IN Melbourne!

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Saw the other day that Mark "Choco" Williams has a side hustle selling little models of the MCG.

He was promoting them on Fox Footy a few nights ago.

Here's the link for anyone interested: https://mcgshop.com.au/mymcg-replica-stadium/

A bit too expensive for me. But each to their own.

Anyway, I digress, after watching the 2024 Grand Final on TV, I have gotta admit winning an AFL Premiership at the MCG on Grand Final Day is the ultimate triumph. The AFL did an impressive job getting Katy Perry to perform. Although, $5 million dollars for 20 minutes of work is a pretty sweet deal for her!

Now, don't get me wrong, the Melbourne Demons winning in Perth at Optus Stadium in 2021 was wonderful. Especially as we ended our 57 year Premiership drought.

But winning a Premiership at the home of football at the MCG must be the ultimate objective. I hope Simon Goodwin and many of the Melbourne Demons players got together to watch the Grand Final on TV and it motivates them to aim for Premiership glory next year in 2025.

I was lucky enough to be there in 21 and with respect location does not matter. It's a national competition.

If the AFL had an integrity the GF should be at a neutral ground end of story. Yesterday and when there is an all Victorian GF are the exceptions to this.

• Like 6