binman’s rant (Goody defence)

14 minutes ago, praha said:

I couldn't be bothered. I am not normally one to personally go on a rant against people for disagreeing with me. And frequently wear it when I'm wrong. My point is that going on the rant he did after beating Essendon was going way too early. Today is proof. For the record I'm not calling for Goodwin to go but people pretending like he hasn't already spent some of the credits he got after 2021. Some don't realise how many credits he burnt on September 15 2023.

We are being let down by our leaders

Fritsch absolutely no second effort 

Clarrie absolutely no 2 way run and knowing he has no fitness still stands off his opponent at stoppage

Kossie picks and chooses and when he’s on we’re on

Our Recent improvements not just beating Essendon was on the back of the young players standing up they will be inconsistent and it’s time a few truths were told to some of the big earners

• Like 6
  • Clap 3

Just now, Pennant St Dee said:

We are being let down by our leaders

Fritsch absolutely no second effort 

Clarrie absolutely no 2 way run and knowing he has no fitness still stands off his opponent at stoppage

Kossie picks and chooses and when he’s on we’re on

Our Recent improvements not just beating Essendon was on the back of the young players standing up they will be inconsistent and it’s time a few truths were told to some of the big earners

100%. 

But saying this is a problem of on field leaders is only more of an indictment. Official team leaders are the only players with direct and impactful influence on a coach. They are like senior leaders in any business, and their relationship with the unit's Head Of or GM. It doesn't bode well for a head coach when literally every leader of the team puts in a shocker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, praha said:

100%. 

But saying this is a problem of on field leaders is only more of an indictment. Official team leaders are the only players with direct and impactful influence on a coach. They are like senior leaders in any business, and their relationship with the unit's Head Of or GM. It doesn't bode well for a head coach when literally every leader of the team puts in a shocker.

I see it the other way and think the FD knows the way forward is with the new brigade stepping up and why I wouldn’t be surprised if Clarrie left for the right price

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I see it the other way and think the FD knows the way forward is with the new brigade stepping up and why I wouldn’t be surprised if Clarrie left for the right price

Now I'm depressed because I'm talking with Melbourne supporters actually entertaining trading Oliver.

What have we become? It's like 2003 all over again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, praha said:

Now I'm depressed because I'm talking with Melbourne supporters actually entertaining trading Oliver.

A few posters wanted Viney gone and Free Agent'ed to Geelong a few years back. Same goes for now with Clayton. He is top end MFC Royalty and needs to be treated like that. We need to stick strong with him. Not trade him out.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

Whether you like or dislike Simon, it’s clear to everyone that he has a clear tactical issue against Fremantle. Specifically our ability to defend turnover and transition, as evidenced by Freo’s numerous walk in goals from the goal square.

And furthermore it’s undeniable that he’s struggled to get his team up for game day, far more than most of  his  previous years. How many times has the warning signs been up in neon lights at quarter time. Brisbane, Carlton, West Coast Fremantle x2, Collingwood.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Longmuir is not a good coach and he has us worked out. 

Same things all game. 

Win the tap,  quick handpass, another quick handpass to a man out wide or off the shoulder.  Bang it in long to a man on his own...goal! 

Or else we whack it long and high from half back for a taller freo player to outmark us.

Or overuse it up forward and kick it away for Freo to cut us up with the same running handpass patterns till the longer kick out the back.  

Were SG and the other coaching staff watching the same game as us?  His metric for success is winning flags or finals at a minimum.  Home and away results only count as stepping stones to finals. 

Stop trying to gaslight us fellow demon fans by defending really rubbish leadership by setting us up so badly and tolerating poor effort like today.  

The problem wasn't the Kolt it was clearly Petty in the ruck.  Belatedly stealing Roo from the forwardline left us without our best target.

It was not good enough the first time and twice in one season is totally unacceptable.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, praha said:

I couldn't be bothered. I am not normally one to personally go on a rant against people for disagreeing with me. And frequently wear it when I'm wrong. My point is that going on the rant he did after beating Essendon was going way too early. Today is proof. For the record I'm not calling for Goodwin to go but people pretending like he hasn't already spent some of the credits he got after 2021. Some don't realise how many credits he burnt on September 15 2023.

Well said. Goodwin paid off a lot of the complaints many posters here had about him pre-2021 by winning that flag. Since he's absolutely burned the credit he had in the bank. Bunch of shoulda, coulda, woulda about our performances in the finals, end result is we lost and left as a laughing stock each year. 

However, right now It's not about getting rid of him. It's about him and the staff around him proving they're good enough to get us back to that level. Just because we won one flag doesn't mean he gets infinite cracks at the whip. 

Re-building on the run, injuries, 1 senior ruckman, lack of quality talls forward of the ball are all being used as excuses to save him when he is the man in charge who is allowing it to happen (bar injuries, he has no control over that).

Todays result was obvious, easiest tip of my life. You can get away with beating Draper and 2MP in the wet on our home deck but you're not having the same luck against 2 million dollar ruckmen. "But what could he have done? we have no other ruckmen!". Exactly, he can stand behind the choice of bringing in a C grade fwd/ruck option rather than a genuine number 2 option.

• Like 4
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, praha said:

He’s been handled with kid gloves and I understand why he is a freak and has been an absolute game changer, but if they don’t believe he can get back to that effort they would be negligent to not listen.

I trust both Clarrie and the FD will know the answers and whether last pre season was just a one off

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

34 minutes ago, Hellfire Dub said:

Same things all game. 

Win the tap,  quick handpass, another quick handpass to a man out wide or off the shoulder.  Bang it in long to a man on his own...goal! 

Or else we whack it long and high from half back for a taller freo player to outmark us.

Or overuse it up forward and kick it away for Freo to cut us up with the same running handpass patterns till the longer kick out the back.  

Were SG and the other coaching staff watching the same game as us?  His metric for success is winning flags or finals at a minimum.  Home and away results only count as stepping stones to finals. 

Stop trying to gaslight us fellow demon fans by defending really rubbish leadership by setting us up so badly and tolerating poor effort like today.  

The problem wasn't the Kolt it was clearly Petty in the ruck.  Belatedly stealing Roo from the forwardline left us without our best target.

It was not good enough the first time and twice in one season is totally unacceptable.  

Im not sure about your opening gambit  but much of the rest reads with merit.

3 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Imagine having the lack of courage to hold your response till now. Speaks more about you.

3 hours ago, praha said:

It’s pretty weak to say nothing after a win, wait for a loss, then say “you [censored]” or “told you so” or similar. 

But equally, the reaction to beating Essendon was OTT. 

I maintain my general view that Goodwin’s a far better coach than most give him credit for, principally because our list has not been anywhere near as good as what some have tried to make it out to be. It’s becoming clearer now that making even finals, let alone top 4, in 2022-23 was an achievement given what the other three recent premiers have done (or not done) post-flag. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

18 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

It’s pretty weak to say nothing after a win, wait for a loss, then say “you [censored]” or “told you so” or similar. 

But equally, the reaction to beating Essendon was OTT. 

I maintain my general view that Goodwin’s a far better coach than most give him credit for, principally because our list has not been anywhere near as good as what some have tried to make it out to be. It’s becoming clearer now that making even finals, let alone top 4, in 2022-23 was an achievement given what the other three recent premiers have done (or not done) post-flag. 

Absolutely correct

There were a bunch of very influential Carlton supporters who wanted them to trade Cripps when he had a couple of injury interrupted years. Questioned his focus and commitment etc.

I guarantee they are happy the club trusted their judgement and kept Cripps.

• Like 1

I'm glad our loss to freo has given the face palm posse an opportunity to take their pots shots at me.

I'm not going to bother to defend my opinion on goody other than to say if you listened to my rant and think a loss this weekend gone changes my opinion that goody is a legend of the MFC for the record he has established in his 8 years as senior coach then you have serious comprehension issues.

And if you haven't listened to it but feel the need to come on here to have a pot-shot at me when you dont even know what i said then I live in your head rent free and perhaps you need to put me on ignore for your own well being as my opinions are clearly very triggering.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 2

23 hours ago, Wizard of Koz said:

A few posters wanted Viney gone and Free Agent'ed to Geelong a few years back. Same goes for now with Clayton. He is top end MFC Royalty and needs to be treated like that. We need to stick strong with him. Not trade him out.  

Agree 100%!

I’ll take a fit Oliver with a preseason over any draft pick trades!!

He has only won four B&Fs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, praha said:

I know, it’s a disgraceful that Clarry cops all the blame, stick by our boy, he’s the best since Robbie& deserves to show the critics in 2025 with a full preseason & no injuries what he can do.

On another topic where’s Petracca, is he at the club supporting his teammates or has he taken the remainder of the season off?

• Thinking 1

43 minutes ago, binman said:

I'm glad our loss to freo has given the face palm posse an opportunity to take their pots shots at me.

I'm not going to bother to defend my opinion on goody other than to say if you listened to my rant and think a loss this weekend gone changes my opinion that goody is a legend of the MFC for the record he has established in his 8 years as senior coach then you have serious comprehension issues.

And if you haven't listened to it but feel the need to come on here to have a pot-shot at me when you dont even know what i said then I live in your head rent free and perhaps you need to put me on ignore for your own well being as my opinions are clearly very triggering.

I support your opinion on Goody 100%. It’s your simplistic interpretation of stats that troubles me and I enjoy the debate.

I’m not going to pot you @binman because I thought your podcast was great, and I agreed with what you said. But I was just thinking, what if Andy’s holiday was a week longer and you had decided in advance to play your Goody pod tonight - I wonder what the DL reaction would be? 

8 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

I’m not going to pot you @binman because I thought your podcast was great, and I agreed with what you said. But I was just thinking, what if Andy’s holiday was a week longer and you had decided in advance to play your Goody pod tonight - I wonder what the DL reaction would be? 

@Webber might not have chosen to create this thread!

But the content of the rant would be the same.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

23 hours ago, Hellfire Dub said:

Same things all game. 

I was at the footy a couple of weeks ago & was chatting to a few guys I see now & then at Melb games. One made a comment to me “have you ever read a forum called Demonland , it’s great for a laugh especially after a loss.”  So true …the OTT comments after a loss & the vitriol against coach & certain players is downright embarrassing. I’m all for understanding the emotion during the game day thread (never read it) but when that’s died down …quite unbelievable. Now I’ve read your post ..understand completely where they were coming from  …laughable/embarrassing..pick your adjective 

• Like 1