Trade Targets 2025

GEELONG premiership players Gary Rohan and Brandan Parfitt are among seven Cats delisted after their season ended in a preliminary final loss to Brisbane.  Phoenix Foster, Oscar Murdoch, James Willis, Mitch Hardie have also been delisted having not played an AFL game. Former Hawthorn tall Emerson Jeka has also been axed.

*** I hate the Cats.  But I admire how ruthless they are.  These are not easy calls as each have shown real ability.  Rohan could play another year.  Parfitt is capable.  Hardie was excellent in the VFL winning a role in VFL team if the year.  Foster is like a young Tomahawk.  But they are ruthless. They see them as not quite premiership material. So they are out.  They are after new youngsters. They are after Bailey Smith.  They are after 1-2  Werribee players in the same way they got Mannagh.
MFC hangs onto players with extensions and extra years beyond what they have demonstrated.  FFS. Did I mention  *** I have the Cats.  

Parfitt is a chance.  Obviously he had talent.  It’s the hard work to bring out the talent.  Does he still have it ????? 

• Like 5

It’s a bull rush.  Houston now available.  Peatling definitely testing the market.  Derksen chooses Dees.  Parfitt now delisted.  

Though I think the Dees can only really bring in max 2-3 players from other clubs   Want to keep 4 picks in this years draft 

Yes to Houston but at what price … who and how ? How could clubs afford him ??? 

Yes to Peatling (if he was to leave GWS and we can beat the other 5 clubs in the offer) . Four year deal.  Wow he’s pushed up the rankings this year.  Best offer is future 2025 2nd round to GWS  It’s a battle !!! 

Yes probably to Parfitt (delisted free agent). Does he have the motivation to work hard ?

Yes to Derksen. Given he’s played zero games, Dees would offer pick 60 to start. Probably be fair enough   

Not that keen but a possible maybe to:

Tim Membrey (swap for Tomlinson)

Matt Owies 

Matt Kennedy 

No to … Macrae, Daniel, Ross, Taberner, Cerra, Ladhams, Jack Martin, Marchbank, Hind, Sam Day , Rosas (jnr),  Haynes, Stringer, Darling, Jernaine Jones, Tom Campbell, Soldo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

GEELONG premiership players Gary Rohan and Brandan Parfitt are among seven Cats delisted after their season ended in a preliminary final loss to Brisbane.  Phoenix Foster, Oscar Murdoch, James Willis, Mitch Hardie have also been delisted having not played an AFL game. Former Hawthorn tall Emerson Jeka has also been axed.

*** I hate the Cats.  But I admire how ruthless they are.  These are not easy calls as each have shown real ability.  Rohan could play another year.  Parfitt is capable.  Hardie was excellent in the VFL winning a role in VFL team if the year.  Foster is like a young Tomahawk.  But they are ruthless. They see them as not quite premiership material. So they are out.  They are after new youngsters. They are after Bailey Smith.  They are after 1-2  Werribee players in the same way they got Mannagh.
MFC hangs onto players with extensions and extra years beyond what they have demonstrated.  FFS. Did I mention  *** I have the Cats.  

Parfitt is a chance.  Obviously he had talent.  It’s the hard work to bring out the talent.  Does he still have it ????? 

Good enough to play in the 2022 flag so assume he is still AFL level in a better than Hunter way 

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Fullarton looked good in preseason.

He was abysmal in the ruck all year, he now has a chance to play as a permanent forward which is a simpler role.

There’s nothing from the club about Derksen’s role yet but I suspect his value will be as a swing man rather than purely forward.

If Fullarton can demonstrate he has the tank and hard leading style, plus be more than a total zero in aerial contests he can claim the CHF role. I’m not feeling sorry for him that he has to compete with a guy who’s never cracked an afl game.

Perhaps I'm off the mark here, but personally I don't think he was ever brought in as a pure backup ruck? Was always intended as a forward/ruck wasn't he? That's why I'm compared his VFL form to Petty's AFL form.

I watched a lot of Casey this year, and agree Fullarton was generally beaten in ruck contests in terms of hitouts, but he was good at ground level, won clearances, got around the ground - evidenced by his marking numbers, found the ball, and hit the scoreboard. These were all things Petty wasn't doing for a long time at senior level in my view.

I think Petty is a better player overall with a higher ceiling, but on form alone I think Fullarton should have got a game in front of him at various stages this year.

Edited by FreedFromDesire
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Good enough to play in the 2022 flag so assume he is still AFL level in a better than Hunter way 

Yeah he was a fixture in the side when Geelong started 7-0 and was getting his 19 touches a game.

He was then omitted for our game which raised eyebrows among the Cats supporters.

Came back a couple of weeks later for 3 games when Geelong started losing a number of games, and then wasn't really seen again.

Could be a sneaky good/rebound kind of recruit for a club next year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Yeah he was a fixture in the side when Geelong started 7-0 and was getting his 19 touches a game.

He was then omitted for our game which raised eyebrows among the Cats supporters.

Came back a couple of weeks later for 3 games when Geelong started losing a number of games, and then wasn't really seen again.

Could be a sneaky good/rebound kind of recruit for a club next year.

I think post Lions season, Dev Robertson will be available and he is a much better option.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Lol.. how can you seriously praise their ruthless list manage yet take a swipe at ours at the same time?

Rohan is absolutely cooked and was struggling even at VFL level to get a kick this year.

In 5 VFL games this year he averaged 6.4 disposals per game and yet you think he had a one year left in him and that him being cut is ruthless and good list management but poor on Melbourne's behalf?? Bizarre..

Foster a young Tomahawk!?? Lol if he is a young Tomahawk then why didn't he play senior footy or is getting delisted? 19 goals in 18 games averaging 6 disposals a game doesn't reek anything remotely close to being compared to Tom Hawkins. 

Hardie and Parfitt are clearly both VFL scrubbers and no different to any other delisted player going around. They'd add zero benefits to our team.

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

AMW, Derksen and potentially Parfitt?  Loading up on some Territory boys. Some challenges there for all concerned. Team redemption and career resurrection amongst it. And hopefully a diamond or two in the rough and tumble.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lol.. how can you seriously praise their ruthless list manage yet take a swipe at ours at the same time?

Rohan is absolutely cooked and was struggling even at VFL level to get a kick this year.

In 5 VFL games this year he averaged 6.4 disposals per game and yet you think he had a one year left in him and that him being cut is ruthless and good list management but poor on Melbourne's behalf?? Bizarre..

Foster a young Tomahawk!?? Lol if he is a young Tomahawk then why didn't he play senior footy or is getting delisted? 19 goals in 18 games averaging 6 disposals a game doesn't reek anything remotely close to being compared to Tom Hawkins. 

Hardie and Parfitt are clearly both VFL scrubbers and no different to any other delisted player going around. They'd add zero benefits to our team.

You say this as we're getting ourselves ready to recruit Wade Derksen and Tom Campbell.

• Clap 1

30 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

You say this as we're getting ourselves ready to recruit Wade Derksen and Tom Campbell.

Because when you finish the year like we have, then realistically you're not going to attract the A grade talent.

I'm a big believer that if we can grab another first rounde pick inside the top 20 then that will go a long way into rejuvenating our list and stay in finals contention over the next few year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

If we took Parfitt and he struggled next year, as he does most years, SONS would bemoan it as another Hunter/Billings style acquisition. 

If Geelong were truly ruthless they wouldn’t be holding onto Stanley and Duncan. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

28 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

If we took Parfitt and he struggled next year, as he does most years, SONS would bemoan it as another Hunter/Billings style acquisition. 

If Geelong were truly ruthless they wouldn’t be holding onto Stanley and Duncan. 

I agree, although I do think Parfitt has good footy in him if fully fit and motivated. Sometimes it takes getting cut to find that motivation again.

I also think we can’t go in to a season not having replaced Gus, JJ, Harmes and with doubts over Oliver and Tracc. We do have to add at least 1 ready made mid. If it’s not a clear best 22 guy like Peatling the options get murkier.

But also I say it in every thread, let’s stop trying to fix depth problems with blind purchases in September. Get 3 guys to train with us over summer.

Add the best option to the main list in March, get the second best option on the Casey list with the carrot of the midseason draft. 

• Like 4

I'd be into Parfitt costs us nothing like Campbell good depth we had no depth this year. I know people aren't gonna be rapt about getting 2 delisted free agents and a player we gave pick 50 or 60 for but I don't think it's that bad. You have to give something to get something in the trade period.

It's the draft where you get excited at the draft that's where our improvement is going to come from. We could have picks 5 and 17 or 18. If the Brisbane deal comes through which means we will give up picks 25, 38, 45 and 51.

Our squad could look like this:

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Rivers, McDonald, Salem

C: Windsor, Smillie, Langdon

HF: Petracca, Petty, Pickett

F: Fritsch, van Rooyen, Turner

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Bowey, Sparrow, Tholstrup, Chandler, Melksham

Casey

B: Howes, Adams, Brown

HB: Moniz-Wakefield, Derksen, Woewodin

C: Billings, Laurie, Hunter

HF: Spargo, Kentfield, Sestan

F: McAdam, Jefferson, Fullerton

FOLL: Campbell, Hynes, Parfitt

IC: Yze, Mentha, Verrall

Just now, Wells 11 said:

too injured or ? 

too injured, too slow, doesn't win enough of his own footy, doesn't use the ball well enough

to me he's a classique good vfl, not good enough for afl player

the sort of player who can eke out 100-150 games over a decade or so but will never be anything more than a fringe player

i don't know for certain, but i'd assume he's been subbed in / out a lot over the course of his career

• Like 1

On 23/09/2024 at 17:40, FreedFromDesire said:

Must surely be frustrating for Fullarton after a tough year. The difference perhaps though is that, in my view, Fullarton was taken as a forward/ruck option where Campbell seems to be more 'pure' ruck. Different roles maybe? Campbell also seems more likely the true Gawn backup in case of injury.

Of course in saying that, seeing Fullarton toil away for Casey for some genuinely good returns while Petty was allowed months to find form at senior level was surely as frustrating to him as it was to a lot of us supporters. So even with the different roles argument, the selection is still truly baffling.

He was traded as a ruck.

All the talk about him not being a ruck is because we got him in to play ruck and realised that he can't play ruck.

Even our own website has him listed as a ruck.

Now we have to get another ruck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BAMF said:

He was traded as a ruck.

All the talk about him not being a ruck is because we got him in to play ruck and realised that he can't play ruck.

Even our own website has him listed as a ruck.

Now we have to get another ruck.

In the actual text on the website it says: "At 200cm tall, he is set to add to the Demons’ ruck and forward stocks."

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/players/1771/tom-fullarton

From trade time:

"The Demons secured the ruck-forward in exchange for pick No.47 in this year’s AFL Draft."

Dees welcome Tom Fullarton

"Melbourne used the pick, which was bumped back to pick No.47 after Jade Gresham's move to Essendon earlier in the day, to land ruck-forward Fullarton, who is 200cm and 97kg, from the Lions."

Dees bring in tall from Lions after Grundy departure

I think he played more ruck once Verrall was injured didn't he? He was certainly still kicking goals all year. I agree he may have been there for more depth in the ruck if needed, but don't think it was ever a 'pure ruck' role.

• Like 3

@BAMF - In saying the above, as mentioned earlier, I don't think he was a good option as a ruckman. Was clearly beaten most weeks in the hitout battle. My only point was around selection and the timing of his solid VFL form vs the very poor form of Petty in the same kind of role at the same time. I wouldn't have expected a lot of impact from him at AFL, I'm not a big Fullarton fan by any stretch, but I just feel he had earned a chance in the circumstances.

2 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

I'd be into Parfitt costs us nothing like Campbell good depth we had no depth this year. I know people aren't gonna be rapt about getting 2 delisted free agents and a player we gave pick 50 or 60 for but I don't think it's that bad. You have to give something to get something in the trade period.

It's the draft where you get excited at the draft that's where our improvement is going to come from. We could have picks 5 and 17 or 18. If the Brisbane deal comes through which means we will give up picks 25, 38, 45 and 51.

Our squad could look like this:

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Rivers, McDonald, Salem

C: Windsor, Smillie, Langdon

HF: Petracca, Petty, Pickett

F: Fritsch, van Rooyen, Turner

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Bowey, Sparrow, Tholstrup, Chandler, Melksham

Casey

B: Howes, Adams, Brown

HB: Moniz-Wakefield, Derksen, Woewodin

C: Billings, Laurie, Hunter

HF: Spargo, Kentfield, Sestan

F: McAdam, Jefferson, Fullerton

FOLL: Campbell, Hynes, Parfitt

IC: Yze, Mentha, Verrall

Hunter getting another deal? Different from what everyone else is suggesting...