PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

Posted (edited)

@WalkingCivilWar if you're attending training this morning can you please post any observations on a training thread?

I hope you are not put off by the 1 or 2 that seemed unappreciative last week.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, SPC said:

Might be worth giving Jeffo a run. A weak game, away from home with little expectations. See if he can play and give him a taste of it. 

I would go with something left field this week in the ruck and ruck with Sparrow or another mid. Just nullify and get to work at ground level (like the Richmond blueprint has shown) Only 1 week till JVR is back so it is temporary. 

I have thought about this, Giving Jeffo a go, given he kicked 3 the game before and the news that he presented well and crashed a few packs leading to goals makes me think that in case of both JVR and Disco out, could be worth blooding him to give him a taste? Not the worst idea going around! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

@WalkingCivilWar if you're attending training this morning can you please post any observations on a training thread?

I hope you are not put off by the 1 or 2 that seemed unappreciative last week.

If nobody else turns up I will, DZ.

I’m guessing I should look out for Disco, right?

• Like 4

Just had a lovely chat with Zeets. He was outside Punt Rd because there’s something to report there this morning (the mind boggles).  He asked me about being in the cheer squad and what that entails etc. I asked him how he feels about the Dees. He said he respects and admires us and we’re a stable, well-run club. I was about to bid him cheerio when all of the sudden sch!tt got real: he said, “There is one thing I really, really don’t like about the Dees. *my note to self… never EVER leave home without an enormous carving knife, you never know when you might need it* 😅He said, “Your fans simply don’t turn up. It’s very disappointing how few supporters attend your matches.”  TBF, he’s kinda got a point. He made the point about us lamenting being the Sunday arvo staple years ago and now that we’re getting prime time we don’t show up.

Anyways, they’ll never find his body. 😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

Walking over to Gosch’s with the entire Storm team right now 😁 Really nice guys. 

13 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Just had a lovely chat with Zeets. He was outside Punt Rd because there’s something to report there this morning (the mind boggles).  He asked me about being in the cheer squad and what that entails etc. I asked him how he feels about the Dees. He said he respects and admires us and we’re a stable, well-run club. I was about to bid him cheerio when all of the sudden sch!tt got real: he said, “There is one thing I really, really don’t like about the Dees. *my note to self… never EVER leave home without an enormous carving knife, you never know when you might need it* 😅He said, “Your fans simply don’t turn up. It’s very disappointing how few supporters attend your matches.”  TBF, he’s kinda got a point. He made the point about us lamenting being the Sunday arvo staple years ago and now that we’re getting prime time we don’t show up.

We have the fifth largest home ground attendance this year of any Vic club. Considering our membership numbers compared to the other 4 clubs, I am really not sure what the hell his problem is?

We got almost as many people to the Geelong home game, than Carlton got the week later against us, and it was their home game! 

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it Zeeto.

• Like 8
  • Clap 3

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

We have the fifth largest home ground attendance this year of any Vic club. Considering our membership numbers compared to the other 4 clubs, I am really not sure what the hell his problem is?

We got almost as many people to the Geelong home game, than Carlton got the week later against us, and it was their home game! 

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it Zeeto.

It will take a generation or two to change this perspective. We have been irrelevant for almost 4-5 decades with the odd few years where we good but not good enough. Our numbers just dropped away. But in the junior leagues the amount of kids i see wearing Melbourne kit are extraordinary. I hold hope that we will prevail in the longer term. What will secure this and potentially accelerate it, is another premiership. 

It is just the external perspective that you have to take on board. Its also an easyfix.... 

• Like 4

Didnt want to start a new thread but grabbed this from SEN's "Whately and King top 4 weekly rating" and saw Whately with this

3. Melbourne

“I've got Melbourne at three because if Christian Petracca is going to play like that, they’re three with a bullet.

Except I know that he won't, but I just thought they’re at three.”

Is it me or is that extremely disrespectful re comments on Trac? i was actually really surprised at that comment (in fairness i wasn't listening live so am missing a bit of context). Whately is usually really measured so again it plays to this media narrative around Melbourne of late. Daicos goes missing for 6 games this year and he has one game and suddenly he is the GOAT. Trac has had a far better year so far and has only been below his best (not by much) for the last 2-3 games and is likely second or third in the Coaches Votes. His game against a very good opponent was a class above. Almost like a 16yo playing in U12s - the absolute monstering of that performance was undeniable. Had Melbourne won, the narrative surrounding just how good Trac is would have reignited the whole Dusty 2.0.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

Going with a player who is about 6 foot would be an…interesting move

A couple of weeks ago in VFL our rucks often didn't go up at centre bounces so perhaps there's a precedent

32 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Didnt want to start a new thread but grabbed this from SEN's "Whately and King top 4 weekly rating" and saw Whately with this

3. Melbourne

“I've got Melbourne at three because if Christian Petracca is going to play like that, they’re three with a bullet.

Is it me or is that extremely disrespectful re comments on Trac? i was actually really surprised at that comment (in fairness i wasn't listening live so am missing a bit of context). Whately is usually really measured so again it plays to this media narrative around Melbourne of late. Daicos goes missing for 6 games this year and he has one game and suddenly he is the GOAT. Trac has had a far better year so far and has only been below his best (not by much) for the last 2-3 games and is likely second or third in the Coaches Votes. His game against a very good opponent was a class above. Almost like a 16yo playing in U12s - the absolute monstering of that performance was undeniable. Had Melbourne won, the narrative surrounding just how good Trac is would have reignited the whole Dusty 2.0.

I just assumed it was due to him kicking more points than goals the last 2 years. Only one way to end that debate, keep slotting them

8 minutes ago, roy11 said:

I just assumed it was due to him kicking more points than goals the last 2 years. Only one way to end that debate, keep slotting them

I would assume that it’s about him being a mid not a forward 9 times out of 10

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Ruck relief aside I'd be playing McAdam. TMac as stand in ruck relief with Turner dropping down back when TMac is in the ruck.

Should win this easily. If not we have some way bigger issues.

Essendon nearly lost to them last week. They're the media's current darlings.

Sydney was behind them for half the game in Gather Round. They're the undisputed number 1 seed right now.

If Yeo and/or Waterman play, they are a much stronger side.

I don't accept that if we don't "win this easily" we "have some way bigger issues".

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

3. Melbourne

Haven't heard it but I suspect what he's saying is not that Trac isn't capable of playing that well, but that he won't play near-permanent forward each week, so that's why he won't "play like that".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Weagles will be fired up

They play well against us - hell, every team seems to 'step' up against us

We are serious contenders this year....there, I said it!

They are banged up and missing key players (Allan, McGovern, Waterman, Yeo, potentially Darling) pass mark is 6 goals. i would hope that as a response and confidence boosting performance we aim for 10+ goals. 

2 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

They are banged up and missing key players (Allan, McGovern, Waterman, Yeo, potentially Darling) pass mark is 6 goals. i would hope that as a response and confidence boosting performance we aim for 10+ goals. 

Doesn't matter - their willingness to compete will be elevated

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

2023 stats

Membership ladder and home attendance in brackets

COL 106 (63) WCE 103 (42) RFC 101 (51) CAR 95 (51) ESS 86 (46) GEE 82 (31) HAW 81 (33) MEL 71 (45) ADE 68 (39) SYD 65 (33) PA 64 (38) FRE 62 (41) STK 60 (33) WB 56 (28) BRI 54 (27) NM 51 (21) GWS 33 (10) GCS 23 (14)

As a percentage of membership base

Fre 66 %

Mel 63 %

Col 60 %

PA 59 %

GCS 58 %

Its simply not true our supporters 'don't turn up' as measured by home attendances and membership base.  I'd say to him it's nice you live in a fantasy land of make believe. 

• Like 7
  • Clap 3

From WCW training report McAdam has another week in the two's, with Fullarton apparently also injured and both JVR and Disco out I would give the young Verrell a run to give Max a hand plus BBB to play forward with Petty. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, back at the thread:

Methinks Turner will be the backup ruckman. Plays similar position and is similar size to JvR. New centre bounce rule will favour him in that he won’t need to jump (a la the way Grundy is playing). Two issues - Disco is injury prone and has probably never played ruck in his life.

I assume whoever the FD has in mind will be practising the craft at training.

Edited by M_9

2 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Methinks Turner will be the backup ruckman. Plays similar position and is similar size to JvR. New centre bounce rule will favour him in that he won’t need to jump (a la the way Grundy is playing). Two issues - Disco is injury prone and has probably never played ruck in his life.

not when he's missing 2-3 rounds with a calf he won't be

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Essendon nearly lost to them last week. They're the media's current darlings.

Sydney was behind them for half the game in Gather Round. They're the undisputed number 1 seed right now.

If Yeo and/or Waterman play, they are a much stronger side.

I don't accept that if we don't "win this easily" we "have some way bigger issues".

Completely agree. There are no easy games. Taking oppo for granted is a recipe for disaster. We play them at their home, in front of their crowd - I am not expecting anything other than us treating them with respect and trusting that 4 quarters of our brand of footy will prevail. If we win, based on our system, I will be happy. If we win by 50, great. But I won't expect it. We snoozed against the Blues last week, and it cost us a win. That's the stuff I am more interested in. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Been reading the WC forum on Bigfooty and Waterman  was under concussion protocols and will return this weekend.

Yeo is 50/50 but leaning towards playing.

That automatically makes them a better side.

A 6 goal win would be probably more than satisfactory.

51 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Disco has joined the injury list. Fullerton. Turner. JVR. 

• Like 1