PREGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Definitely interesting that he spent so much time on the bench after being inserted into the game at the 3 minute mark of the last quarter.

While I don't necessarily agree perhaps they will prefer a more mature player like Hunter as the sub this week.

Carlton, Sydney, GWS and the Pies plus the Eagles in Perth (no pushover on recent form) what a hard run !!

We play the lions, pies, docker's and power twice this season. Not a ripper of a fixture in terms of double play.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

People suggesting we should rest players because of the five day break...forget it.  Goodwin doesn't do that.  If you're fit, you play.

We have 5 players who have less than 10 games experience. Maybe we will evolve…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

We play the lions, pies, docker's and power twice this season. Not a ripper of a fixture in terms of double play.

That fixture looks much better after adding our two other double games:  Eagles and Bulldogs.

So, there are nine of the double games left:  Lions x 1, (G) Pies x 2 (MCG), Port x 1 (MCG), WBD x 1 (MS), Freo x 2 (Alice/OO), Eagles x 2 (MCG/OO). 

All 9 very winnable but wouldn't be surprised or fussed if we drop one or two. 

The good news is we do not play Syd or Geelong again.  Yet to play GWS and Ess of the current top 8. 

We will drop games here or there but I'm quite optimistic of a top 2 finish.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

I hope all our supporters can survive a five day break and turn up to the Carlton game.

Is it just me but I almost get the impression that Goody at his post match press conference is subtly begging for more of our fans to turn up.

i have no doubt that positive (and noisy) crowd support makes a big difference. 

• Like 6

I would love to see Petracca get his skates on and destroy Carlton. I have been a tad underwhelmed by his season. There’s more in there.

Big C Curnow has this game circled on his calendar. A bit of gentle ribbing from teammates about his “daddy”, Steven May. Maybe we could have our banner on Thursday reflect that?🤔

I thought Woey looked as good as he has all season on the weekend and would hate to stifle the continuity. Billings is ok and I am not a fan of players coming straight back in after an extended break so I don’t think Bowza should play.

My feeling is that we might see Laurie out and Hunter come in.

18 minutes ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I hope all our supporters can survive a five day break and turn up to the Carlton game.

Is it just me but I almost get the impression that Goody at his post match press conference is subtly begging for more of our fans to turn up.

nope

the club was effusive in the praise for our fans turning up

felt like we had about 40k of the 52k there i thought

the passionate dees were loud

• Like 10

On 05/05/2024 at 06:20, Wells 11 said:

Huge challenge off 5 days here. Prob the only disappointment last night for mine was Billings. Think he needs a rest. 

Wells - do you mean a rest or a game at Casey?

On 05/05/2024 at 07:35, buck_nekkid said:

No to McAdam.  Not yet.  We have set ourselves for this 2 game block so no change unless needed. Hold the blues to 60-70 points and we will take the chokkies.

I thought that I read that McAdam had concussion.   Please enlighten us, VFL Casey watchers. 

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

I thought that I read that McAdam had concussion.

That was reported at the time, but later news suggests that he was feeling crook and took himself off.

I hope he's OK and good to go for the West Coast game or, if not, the week after.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

That was reported at the time, but later news suggests that he was feeling crook and took himself off.

I hope he's OK and good to go for the West Coast game or, if not, the week after.

We have a Friday evening (5pm) game against Carlton at Princes Park. Could answer a few questions as many players will be available that did not play in the game against Williamstown

3 hours ago, JJJ said:

I would love to see Petracca get his skates on and destroy Carlton. I have been a tad underwhelmed by his season. There’s more in there.

Big C Curnow has this game circled on his calendar. A bit of gentle ribbing from teammates about his “daddy”, Steven May. Maybe we could have our banner on Thursday reflect that?🤔

I thought Woey looked as good as he has all season on the weekend and would hate to stifle the continuity. Billings is ok and I am not a fan of players coming straight back in after an extended break so I don’t think Bowza should play.

My feeling is that we might see Laurie out and Hunter come in.

Billings was less than ok for me but he had some patches of good play before he was subbed off. Just not enough and I feel like he's been like that for a few games now. He'll get the benefit of the doubt though because he's had some good form early in the season and Goody doesn't often make big changes after a win. And  that's a good a win as you can get.

Like you I thought Woey was very good and maybe he can play further up the ground. But he won't be dropped.l just

My feeling is just change Laurie with Bowey as the sub. It's too much I think to give Bowser a full game and Laurie was underwhelming in his limited game time despite his two goals v tigers.

Perhaps Bowey could be subbed on for Woey to play fwd or experiment with him as a small fwd for a Cameo.

I've been told by those in the know that McAdam isn't ready yet. Someone even said he was ill. I'm keen to see him play.

Hunter back too would be great but who to take out for him?

I feel the old adage that If it ain't broke ....is the way it will go down.

Although the argument of fresh legs may hold merit. Like my usual posts I have nothing to really say.

Except that this club is awesome on the way we stood up to the Cats. I know it's early and we had a couple of iffy games but I really feel that this could be our year again.

WhatI wouldn't give to get to see us win a flag at the MCG and be able to watch it person. 

I've always said I'd be happy with just one flag before I go to that big arena in the sky ( surely God is a closeted Demons flag...I mean if one believes in that sort of thing ..He'd have a good sense of humour) but now I've  discovered how good one feels.....I feel that one idea was a load of bollocks. In the immortal wise words of Grandpa Simpson.....

"Gimme, gimme, gimme".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JJJ said:

He has been tagged as Clarry and Vines have had a slow start to the season, all the attention has gone to stopping Trac. Clarry is getting better and will carve up the blues if they spend too much effort on Trac. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

That fixture looks much better after adding our two other double games:  Eagles and Bulldogs

Let me have my whinge L.H.

It doesn't cost anything 😃😃😃

4 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

The Freo games will be tough.. their profile is soo similar to ours and there isn’t any love lost between the midfields.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Watching it on Telly was the first big game for a long time where the crowd sounded definitely pro us.

It actually sounded like there were hardly any cats supporters. Sounded great. Would like to know the breakdown of the 52 k.

If I had to guess from the noise and crowd shots Id wager Dee's fans 30 odd. But it's a figure I'm pulling out of ..

Too far for cats supporters to drive quite possibly. But great effort to all you who attended. Thanks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sparrowsfart said:

The Freo games will be tough.. their profile is soo similar to ours and there isn’t any love lost between the midfields.

And Jackson puts on a clinic. Turncoat.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sparrowsfart said:

Due to the family connection - both teams should wear armbands for the existential death of Angus's career.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1

I thought Woey had a solid game, but understand that Bowey if fit is likely to come in for him.

No one seems to think Turner could go back out?  Good game two weeks ago, but was pretty much unsighted for most of the match on Saturday against Geelong, not sure who would replace him at the moment, but if BBB is fit, I'd like to see him return.

Billings, was ok but for someone rated as an elite kick, he had a couple of horrible shanks. Looks like he's deer in the headlights, counting down to Melky's return if I'm honest.

NO CHANGE 🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Watching it on Telly was the first big game for a long time where the crowd sounded definitely pro us.

It actually sounded like there were hardly any cats supporters. Sounded great. Would like to know the breakdown of the 52 k.

If I had to guess from the noise and crowd shots Id wager Dee's fans 30 odd. But it's a figure I'm pulling out of ..

Too far for cats supporters to drive quite possibly. But great effort to all you who attended. Thanks.

I live on the Surfcoast and travelled up by train. V Line had an additional train up and back. Not sure it was needed. I have 30 or so mates who are Cats members and attend every home game. Not one attended Sat night. The return train arrives at Geelong at 12:30am. Can’t really blame them although almost as many Dees fans travelling up and back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, M_9 said:

I live on the Surfcoast and travelled up by train. V Line had an additional train up and back. Not sure it was needed. I have 30 or so mates who are Cats members and attend every home game. Not one attended Sat night. The return train arrives at Geelong at 12:30am. Can’t really blame them although almost as many Dees fans travelling up and back.

Gotta query why the afl would fixture cats on a Saturday nite

oh wait the answer is obvious; they’re idjits 

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

I thought Woey had a solid game, but understand that Bowey if fit is likely to come in for him.

No one seems to think Turner could go back out?  Good game two weeks ago, but was pretty much unsighted for most of the match on Saturday against Geelong, not sure who would replace him at the moment, but if BBB is fit, I'd like to see him return.

Billings, was ok but for someone rated as an elite kick, he had a couple of horrible shanks. Looks like he's deer in the headlights, counting down to Melky's return if I'm honest.

NO CHANGE 🤣

Not so sure about Turner, Ouch!  If I read the play correctly, Disco payed a defensive roll on Stewart, and limited his impact significantly.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

Not so sure about Turner, Ouch!  If I read the play correctly, Disco payed a defensive roll on Stewart, and limited his impact significantly.

21 disposals 7 intercept marks, 410 meters gained going at 83% efficiency...  pretty poor ;)
But I get your point, but Turner needs to have his own positive impact.  That said, I don't think Van Rooyen is setting the world alight either, but he at least can be involved thru the ruck contests.

• Like 2

we are quite inexperienced so i don’t mind a bloke like Billings playing once he does the team things and keeps being an important link player. He was average on Sat but can do better

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

Gotta query why the afl would fixture cats on a Saturday nite

oh wait the answer is obvious; they’re idjits 

I’m not sure a Sat or Sun arvo would make much difference (I haven’t looked at the stats re past Cats v Dees at the G). Geelong resident Cats are spoilt. They’ll travel up to 20km but no more.

2 hours ago, Ouch! said:

NO CHANGE 🤣

Turner was playing defensive forward on Stewart.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

I think we’re pretty settled now.
There’s some upgrades in the wings,

Melksham>>> Billings 

Bowey >>> Woey (although Woey is versatile and could be moved elsewhere). 

McAdam >>> Turner (for now, Turner has massive upside as a forward but the little we’ve seen of McAdam is pure forward craft and incredibly dangerous assets, he’s special if we get him on the park, him and Fritsch in the same forwardline will be a nightmare for most defenses, especially with Petty and Roo finding form).

Salem >>> Laurie and Woey.

If we can get those four in on the run home without losing anyone we’re a very dangerous team. Especially given Bowey, Salem and Rivers all in the same team has massive midfield rotation potential, especially with May, McDonald, Lever, McVee, Howes looking a pretty unstoppable core defensive setup. 

The only other one I wouldn’t mind seeing at some point is Verrall playing Forward/2nd ruck at some point. Although they may feel he is still be a year away from AFL level.

This week I’d have:

In: Bowey

Out: Laurie (Woey sub) 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 1