• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

4 hours ago, Demondan75 said:

It's a speculative decision Jeremy, but I'm sure the club is stoked that he chose to stay in Melbourne, and I don't reckon he'd be on big bucks for the duration of this contract. He's an above average second ruck when needed, and when he gets his timing right I reckon he'll be a very dangerous option in the forward fifty going forward.

Jackson was an above average second ruck. JVR is nowhere near Jacko. JVR really needs to do more. He's not clunking marks (he's a two-grabber and that makes it easier to spoil), not kicking goals, not even flattening a few opposition players. Why is he there? Answer: there's no-one else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

“If we play like that next week vs (whomever), we’re done.”

”Had we been playing against a half-decent side we would’ve been flogged.”

Same old, same old. 🙄 

We’re not even a third of the way through the season, and the season is long. There’s gonna be ups and downs and even sideways. Nothing is decided in April. Take the win ffs. Moreover, ENJOY the win. Enjoy each and every win, even if only for 24 hours. Please and thanks. 👍🏽😃

Agree, it seems like so many of our supporters are so used to following a [censored] team that they can't get the enjoyment out of being a good team. We massively boosted our percentage, we won on a Wednesday and now there's a long weekend of footy to enjoy in the afterglow of a Dees win. Cheer up everybody.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Steno said:

Not how I saw it…

Good by him to say he would do the interview.

The ribs comment was just trying to get Pickett (?) off for punch / open hand.

Having met Clayton a few times… he is always uncomfortable. Which surprised me that he was happy to be the “face” for Melbourne tonight. Not sure he would have done that a year ago.

Yes actually seemed ok with the chat. 

Usually a few brief words and can't wait to end the interview.

I'd say that's the most open i've heard Clarry since he joined. 

Kudos for him agreeing to do that.

Not so happy with chunk's hand shake at the end though and neither was Clazz... grrr.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

5 hours ago, Go Lordie said:

Embarrassing that half our goals came from a duo with less than 10 games between them.

On the contrary, I think its very encouraging that our younger players can step up like that when our senior guys aren't at their best. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Oliver is Dusty like but worse for how little he likes talking on camera, obviously stresses him massively. I also though Pickett's cheap shot got him flush on his short rib.

Been a sniper his whole career.

• Like 1

Didn't mind Laurie, everyone always saying he needs confidence...maybe last night's good cameo will give him that and he will open up a bit.  I'd like to see more of him after last night and the other player's sub-par performance.  

Turner awesome, so happy to see that from him when we really need it up forward.

Petty probably won't be dropped, probably should be after the recent string of matches really.

Can't wait to see McAdam but another game in VFL sounds like the plan.

Need to be better than that to beat cats and blues, mids need to wake up, which I'm sure they will.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, BDA said:

A win is a win. Wasn’t our best but we got the job done against a game but very limited tiges outfit.

Disco was very good and great to see bill laurey come on and kick his 2 goals.

Petty a major concern. I think a run at casey to build up his confidence the sensible thing to do.

We’ll need to be much better if we want to beat the Cats and Carlton.

Go Dees

Here's the thing, he got a game weeks ago on a ZERO, thats right Zero possesion game at Casey, and is WAAAY OF!! VAN ROOYEN is totally overated, also AINT the messiah. Sorry to say people we aint getting anywhere near a flag this year. Turnovers were under 11 stuff. CLARRY, was a lot better this week. MC ADAMS to debut next week. DISCO great, LAURIE, surprisingly good, and I thought BILLINGS played his best game. WOEY was really good early when heat was on.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Was at the game, haven't seen a replay yet.  I know I shouldn't be surprised at some of the negative commentary on here, but here I am, surprised again.  The first half was an arm wrestle and there were certainly some skill errors, but the Tigers were competitive and have a lot of quality players in that side not withstanding their wretched injury run.  11 premiership players took the field for the Tigers, and that's not counting guys like M. Rioli and Hopper who both played very well.  

We were off in the first half with our skills and sometimes decision making, and that can sometimes happen in AFL footy.  We don't have a great record post bye and we were maybe a little fortunate that we played another team coming off an extended break.  But we did have Gawn, and boy is he in some great form.  Along with our defence, he really stood up when the game was there to be won. Some nice cameos from some of the younger, less experienced players, a rollicking performance from Ed Langdon and a real injection of speed and sure ball handling from Pickett made the second half a pleasure to watch.

Petracca, Viney and Oliver once again not as influential as we'd like but that's also a silver lining.  Our improvement is right there for all to see.  The night itself was great as always.  This has probably turned into my favourite footy night of the year and well done to both clubs for the way they put the show together.  Appropriately solemn and respectful and the atmosphere before the game enables some serious reflection about what the evening and the following day means to us all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, DutchDemons said:

Agree, it seems like so many of our supporters are so used to following a [censored] team that they can't get the enjoyment out of being a good team. We massively boosted our percentage, we won on a Wednesday and now there's a long weekend of footy to enjoy in the afterglow of a Dees win. Cheer up everybody.

Agree.

since mid 2020. No other side comes near us. 
was it Richo on the box last night conceded that we have won 5 lost the 2  we are going  as well as we need to be.

in the afterglow of a Dee’s win. Cheer up everybody.

I remember other afterglows but forget why.  That’s right  Once a king

Go Dee’s 

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, DubDee said:

Fritsch is a fascinating player. maybe the most skilled kick i’ve seen for the demons

could end up our 2nd highest goal kicker of all time 

most underrated player in the comp

Yes he's a good kick, that's in part why I was so annoyed just b4 half time with 30 secs on the clock that he kicked it straight to a Tiger when he had so many options. Luckily Grimes kicked a point.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Here's the thing, he got a game weeks ago on a ZERO, thats right Zero possesion game at Casey, and is WAAAY OF!! VAN ROOYEN is totally overated, also AINT the messiah. Sorry to say people we aint getting anywhere near a flag this year. Turnovers were under 11 stuff. CLARRY, was a lot better this week. MC ADAMS to debut next week. DISCO great, LAURIE, surprisingly good, and I thought BILLINGS played his best game. WOEY was really good early when heat was on.

In my opinion. Your tight and your wrong.

i see JvR as work in progress. Prefer him to mark the ball better , but , I see his ruck work just each week is getting better,

negating their ruck beating them on occasion but most importantly giving Max a rest. And he is not JC as you say.

and how many other clubs would like to be where we are on the ladder  a third the way through.  A great start to September 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I'm not sure I agree with this mate, but why can we not continue with Howes, Woey, WIndsor and Laurie? I thought Woey struggled for most of the night and the jury is still out in general, but his intercept late in the game shows that he is slotting nicely into the back half and where he is supposed to be. 

High pressure early, he struggled, but let's give him some time. More VFL footy isn't going to improve that. He needs more AFL exposure and who would you play in place of Salem and Bowser? We need that extra small. For me it's Woey for now.

As for Windsor and Howes, they've been brilliant this season and did their jobs tonight.

Jury is out on Laurie too, but he was very handy when he came on.

Is it a lack of experience thing you're worried about?

Windsor had 6 kicks but a couple of times he kicked straight to a Tiger which lost us momentum

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A nice game to come back too after a bye round, a quality outfit would have got a hold of us.

Blew some cob webs off, now onto the pussys.

McAdam will be huge when he comes into this team.

Hope he has a good run at it and has taken the appropriate time to get the kms in and allow his body to get over his calf injury.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1

The Clarry interview was the best part of the night.

He doesn’t often get in front of the cameras but as long as he isn’t being bombarded, he generally gives us an insight into his character. Funny, self-effacing , generous, and just basically very likeable.

Also a rare props to Seven for not overtly probing into his mental health and “how he’s doing off the field”. Only he truly knows if he’s in a good headspace or not. But it certainly seems like he’s doing just fine.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 7

Wow. Really enjoyed that game at the end.

Thought the game was sloppy for the first half. My brother thought it would be like that the whole game, but I had a feeling someone would push past. 
But wow. I didn’t expect to double their score or held them to their lowest since 1965. It was a delight how they played and totally dominated them. 
Thinking of not going to Richmond games (along with collingwood.) Their fans are so feral. Boo EVERYTHING that doesn’t go their way. I get umpire decisions, but booing just because the other team gets a goal?! Even with that sloppy play the got us that brilliant goal, didn’t have any accountability on how bad their play was. Just boo boo boo. I never boo if the opposition scores (unless it’s from a suspicious penalty.) Richmond along with collingwood just have this “boo out the other fans” mentality. So sick of this coming into our game. Seems to soccer-like.

Other than that, really enjoyed the game. Great putting tigers back in their place. Gawn back in form. Will admit I do feel for Yze as he was one of my favourite players and a really nice guy 

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 6

Some being a bit harsh on Roo

I thought he played ok doing his usual ruck chop out and in a more high forward role that many have been asking from him.

Ok so he didnt clunk some marks and wasn't a prolific scorer.  But some of his involvements and little one percenters were handy and team orientated.

He'll come good playing this role more often i believe as it will help with his confidence, awareness and tank as he grows into getting out of his comfort zone as a mostly deep forward in the past.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Go Lordie said:

Jackson was an above average second ruck. JVR is nowhere near Jacko. JVR really needs to do more. He's not clunking marks (he's a two-grabber and that makes it easier to spoil), not kicking goals, not even flattening a few opposition players. Why is he there? Answer: there's no-one else. 

We have our next Jackson and he plays in number 28.

He will be a permanent in senior side next year.

Same height as LJ, a better mark and just probably developing a little later than LJ. Good below his knees too, a good kick for goal and imo a better ruckman than LJ.

Not sure how long he is contracted for, but I would be extending it, as Crows will end up wanting him more than Petty.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4

Thought Rivers and Lever were far more deserving of the medal.

Max had a good game but under immense pressure I thought these two were the ones that really kept us in the game after Richmond were coming hard with their forward entries.

We know individual awards really is a midfield award and stats wise Max had a good game but in terms of influential on thr game I really thought Lever and Rivers were my two standards with May a close third.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Max had a good game but under immense pressure I thought these two were the ones that really kept us in the game after Richmond were coming hard with their forward entries.

We know individual awards really is a midfield award and stats wise Max had a good game but in terms of influential on thr game I really thought Lever and Rivers were my two standards with May a close third.

Lever, May and Rivers (despite his several turnovers) were great, but IMO Max against 2 ruckmen was BOG.

That was possibly Lever’s best game for us, I had him next after Max. May, I simply love him. If Rivers can improve his disposal, he will go to another level.

• Like 2

After being frustrated last night with the game, waking up today I'm thinking how good is it to follow a team that plays a "bad" game and wins by 43 points. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Rivers played well but had 3 contested possessions, and one contested mark and one tackle and went at 79%

Lever was great but no tackles and 15 of his 26 possessions were uncontested. 2 of his 10 marks were contested. Obviously the 15 intercepts were a highlight and I thought he was in the top 3 on the ground.

By way of comparison, Gawn won the ball 23 times, 16 being contested.  He took 10 marks, 4 being contested.  He laid 3 tackles, 5 clearances and kicked an important goal.

I think whoever decided the medal got it right.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

I just came here to say @Mel Bourne told yas all! Absolutely bang on the money . 

871F72D8-159C-45E8-AD8B-2C0726787B26.thumb.png.8e6910ec7a72badcb0b69f6875a14144.png

Oh wow, this is a serious post. My wife said the same thing, she’s been following Melbourne and the sport as a whole for 8 years. I’m not trying to be disrespectful but Mel Bourne’s post was hardly visionary, what Melbourne did last night was what we do just about every time we play a team we should put away. I posted we should be aiming to win each qtr by 4 goals, because that’s what I believe a team of our calibre should be doing, when we play a bottom 4 team with 6 of its best players missing. 

Had Mel Bourne or anyone else told me last week to load up on the Eagles, well then I’d be sitting up taking notice.

And while I’m going to all the posters / commentators who continue to roll out the Yze / McQualter factor played its part last night. This is the nearly the most scrutinised / analysed game in the world, with stats, graphs or heat maps for just about everything. Clubs have coaches whose sole job is to study the opposition. All clubs know what other clubs are going to do 99% of the time.