Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY: Rd 01 vs Box Hill

HIBERNATING by KC from Casey

When they locked up the rooms for summer at the end of last year’s football season, the rooms gathered cobwebs, the atmosphere became dense and the place developed a sleepy feel. They opened up the rooms to let Casey out to play on Sunday but the team was still hibernating and they missed the bulk of the opening quarter.

By the time they worked out it was game on, their opponents from Box Hill had accumulated five goals and, if the game wasn’t over, it might as well have been.

For a season opener at their home ground, this was a major disappointment for the Casey Demons who were uncompetitive for so much of the game. It began in the middle where the Hawks dominated in the ruck as well as at the stoppages.

There were times when the home side worked to regain the momentum such as was the case in the latter half of the second term but the Hawks were always in control and their pressure game constantly forced turnovers that were uncharacteristic of any Casey team of the past decade. 

Adding to the disappointment was the fact that some key injuries and an upcoming heavy schedule for Melbourne have opened up places at a higher level which demand standout performances that simply didn’t eventuate.

I mentioned the dominance of the Box Hill engine room and the Demons would be lamenting the loss of regulars such as Luke Dunstan, James Harms, Jimmy Munro and co. who previously gave the midfield such a hard edge. The vacuum left by their will take a while to be adequately filled.

Of the players in contention for higher places, Adam Tomlinson would have been close to the front of the line given that a couple of key defenders at AFL level are in doubt for the month ahead. As it was, Tomlinson’s game in Melbourne’s season opener wasn’t all that shabby. He certainly put his hand up to fill a key defensive spot with his 24-disposal display.

Former Brisbane Lions big man cum forward, Tom Fullarton was also under consideration for a chance to be called up. He had some moments with his 12 disposals and ten hit outs but he paled in the shadows of the more dynamic Box Hill ruck lineup.

One youngster with big wraps about him is Koltyn Tholstrup, a teenager with senior state league experience at Subiaco in the West. He impressed with his 18 disposals and a cool head under pressure and shouldn’t take long to make the step up to another level. Kynan Brown worked hard in the tough environment of a team that simply failed to gel further afield.

Others who had their moments were Bailey Laurie who kicked a goal and had 21 touches and Andy Moniz-Wakefield and Taj Woewodin, each with 19 disposals. 

The standout among Casey listers was former Magpie VFL team leader Campbell Hustwaite who was the best of  the team’s midfielders and promises to be a big feature at Casey in the future. Another newcomer, Caleb Lewis looked promising early but faded after half time after kicking a nice goal in the second term.

All in all however, it was a nightmare of a game in which the Hawks were a class above making it an occasion to forget. 

It is expected that Melbourne will take an expanded squad to Adelaide and remain in the city between its next two games so the Casey Demons can expect to have much less than the dozen Demon listed players they had available for the season opener when they take on Footscray next Saturday afternoon at Casey Fields.

Let’s hope they don’t miss their wake up call for that assignment.

CASEY DEMONS 1.3.9 3.5.23 4.6.30 6.10.46

BOX HILL HAWKS 5.6.36 6.9.45 10.13.73 12.15.87

GOALS

CASEY DEMONS Cross Hustwaite Laurie Lewis Schache Steele

BOX HILL HAWKS Butler 3 Meek 2 Hall Parsons Ramsden Rule Stefanakis Tucker Wood 

BEST

CASEY DEMONS Hustwaite Woewodin Tomlinson Fullarton Moniz-Wakefield Laurie

BOX HILL HAWKS Meek Hustwaite Morrison Serong Butler C Brown

Statistics 

Jed Adams 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 2 marks 1 tackles 26 dream team points
Kynan Brown 5 kicks 9 handballs 14 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 53 dream team points
Leo Connolly 5 kicks 5 handballs 10 disposals 2 marks 28 dream team points
Paddy Cross 1 goal 4 kicks 4 handballs 8 disposals 2 marks 32 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 8 kicks 8 handballs 16 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 60 dream team points
Kyah Farris-White 1 handball 2 dream team points
Tom Freeman 5 kicks 7 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 44 dream team points
Tom Fullarton 9 kicks 3 handballs 12 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 10 hitouts 55 dream team points
Andrew Green 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 30 dream team points
Campbell Husthwaite 1 goal 5 kicks 18 handballs 23 disposals 5 marks 3 tackles 82 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 7 kicks 1 handballs 8 disposals 4 marks 32 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 1 goal 1 behind 11 kicks 10 handballs 21 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 67 dream team points
Caleb Lewis 1 goal 1 behind 3 kicks 2 handballs 5 disposals 1 mark 22 dream team points
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 11 kicks 8 handballs 19 disposals 5 marks 5 tackles 1 hitout 80 dream team points
Ned Moodie 2 kicks 10 handballs 12 disposals 1 marks 2 tackles 38 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 6 kicks 2 handballs 8 disposals 1 marks 25 dream team points
Josh Schache 1 goal 3 behinds 7 kicks 2 handballs 9 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 53 dream team points
Roan Steele 1 goal 2 behinds 8 kicks 6 handballs 14 disposals 2 marks 4 tackles 63 dream team points
Koltyn Tholstrup 9 kicks 9 handballs 18 disposals 4 marks 6 tackles 81 dream team points
Adam Tomlinson 20 kicks 4 handballs 24 disposals 6 marks 86 dream team points
Will Verrall 1 behind 5 kicks 4 handballs 9 disposals 1 mark 10 hitouts 37 dream team points
Mitch White 1 behind 12 kicks 6 handballs 18 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 71 dream team points
Taj Woewodin 12 kicks 7 handballs 19 disposals  7 marks 2 tackles 76 dream team points

IMG_2105.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Anti-Saint said:

where does Casey get its top up players?

Is there a VFL 2s?

We looked poor but top point Monbon

There is no VFL 2s.

Casey has a list of players who are called upon, depending on the availability of listed players who are automatic selections.

Spots at Casey can be hard to get where Melbourne has a short injury list.

Casey players play for their local club when not picked at Casey.

Some Casey listed players go a season without call up.

Very tough gig.

Edited by Bystander
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

The list needs a big cut. A significant number of our young depth are not quick enough or skilled enough. 

Really unimpressed with the comments on the Casey Dees and our AFL contingent after the first real match.

Going through The players not there and naming Harmesy Dunstan JJ as missing.

Get a life they are not our AFL future any more. To keep them on our list was considered and rejected. JJ had a right to go.

I reckon every one who has posted has questioned these players ability to be an AFL Player over the last 2/3 years and y to get their long  term role at our Club.

ONE game in and surprise surprise up bobs their names as date I say it NOT THERE ie missing!!!’

The role of Casey is to feed through players of potential for our AFL and any team  success is a BONUS. 

Experience is the common ingredient missing from most of the 12 AListed who represented Casey from the Dees yesterday. 

That's why it looked a sort of a shambles plus due to our stuff up in the Finals of over estimating numbers of potential reserves needed for our AFL QF and Semi decimating the Casey team in the Finals and no doubt resulting in a walk out or two. 

It’s the very good Casey guys that were missed more so yesterday. 

Now our list of players have not weakened or strengthened their AFL careers as if losing yesterday at all. 
ONE swallow does not maketh  a summer.

Woe Kolt Pup Kynan AMW Adams Verrall Tommo Schache MJ KFW and one other are all depth at different stages and promising as well. No vhsnge from yesterday morning. All the better for the run and experience. 

Fat Tony and of course our resident Mr Negativity Poita have written all of the boys as above as no chance or too this or that. Cool the jets. We only need 4 or 5 to continue to show and improve to be back ups. 

For 2024 Woe AMW Pup and Kolt plus Tommo ( Disco Sestan as well) are legitimate depth potential who are likely to improve as the season progresses. Thsts what Casey provides. If you have a stronger list with more experience at Casey then you may have a successful team as well. 

It’s about the players  not the team performance that is the most vital for the Dees. 

Yhe cticism from one poster  of Kolt was disgraceful and unnecessary and MJ is a whipping boy of many. Players develop at completely differently levels in underage comps. 

You don’t throw your son or daughter out if they don’t walk by 10/12 mths and purchase another baby from the state authorities. 

Calm down snd look at the REAL objective of Casey and the inexperience of most of our depth which is exactly what’s needed st this stage. 

Howes Duke McVee etc are only a very good example of fast tracked AFL players contributing to our AFL success. There is no doubt thst A couple of others are there nearly as ready but we ate ridiculously impatient and overly judgemental in our expectations. 

The club is developing nicely at a fair pace as results are showing. It’s not s as instant so show some sense about our projected plans for recruits fgs. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

19 minutes ago, 58er said:

Howes Duke McVee etc are only a very good example of fast tracked AFL players contributing to our AFL success.

Howes is actually a better example of patience. He was drafted in the 2021 draft, so he waited 2 full seasons before getting a chance.

If you ran a regression analysis of AFL team performance and VFL team performance I would expect some relationship but not a strong one.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

Howes is actually a better example of patience. He was drafted in the 2021 draft, so he waited 2 full seasons before getting a chance.

If you ran a regression analysis of AFL team performance and VFL team performance I would expect some relationship but not a strong one.

Howes however showed promise during his first 2 seasons at vfl level, if it werent for injury he probably plays end of season 1 and most of season 2

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tracca said:

Howes however showed promise during his first 2 seasons at vfl level, if it werent for injury he probably plays end of season 1 and most of season 2

Howes was named as an early emergency in 2022 before his injury. Jason Taylor I believe has been on record stating that had he not been injured that year he would have played senior footy.

• Like 5

one thing that i'd like to see change is pup brown moved out of 'starvation corner' of half-forward

he's not going to learn anything in the vfl trying to play the role anb plays at senior level

from memory, nibbler played predominantly midfield at vfl level before he found his niche as that gut-running half-forward 

i get that brown is very slight but it'll benefit him being more involved in the play

he played mid at underage level, and i'm confident he's smart enough in the contests to be more involved than he will be in the forward set-up at casey

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 8

I've said this before, but how are we giving Farris-White any chance to succeed when he gets minimal game time in unfamiliar positions at a level that is far too strong for him? He is contributing nothing to the team (1 handpass), and gaining no confidence or experience.

He needs to be playing significant minutes rucking at a suitable level, and then maybe he can get a gig at Casey when he is ready.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

I’m pleasantly surprised how well Howes is going at AFL level because I’ll admit I had my doubts that he had the requisite intensity to play at that level 

This week Casey were blown away in the first 15 mins and then spent the remainder of the match killing any chance of of a comeback through shocking skill errors and costly turnovers 

I was quite impressed by Tholstrup who did some nice things and showed that he was fine competing against stronger more mature bodies - a couple of time he probably did the team things when arguably he could of achieved a better outcome by being a bit more selfish - he has the right attitude though 

of the others 

Tommo - was playing in a backline that was under siege for most of the day and was not helped by some terrible turnovers - he was guilty of a couple of these himself mind you. Serviceable game I think but not screaming pick me imo

Adams - I’d like to be seeing more but he reminds me of a very green Petty so hopefully he keeps improving during the year - he has the tools to be ok 

Jefferson - I’m really not convinced and I can see a lot of Schache and Weed in Matt - his first efforts are passable - his second efforts are non existent. Yes he is young and yes some talks take longer but there are also some that just don’t have what it takes. Hope I’m wrong but he looks like he is going to struggle 

Woey- ok but struggled a bit with disposal. Still think he will be useful as a an AFL player the question is whether or not he is a best 22 player 

Fullarton - like KFW he was monstered in the ruck by Meek who is a very big boy. I think there is a reason he spent his last year at Brisbane VFL team as a forward predominantly - rucking against taller and heavier opponents is tough for him and let’s face it at AFL level that is going to be the norm. We would be better off playing him as a KPF and trying to get him good at that - next season he may be one of our only options for that position 

Laurie - he has ability but his lack of consistency is a bit disappointing. Does some good things and then either goes missing or makes silly mistakes. Still can make it imo 

AMW - feels like he would perform better with more talent around him - not sure where he would get a game at AFL level though - HFF possibly- but replacing who? 

Schache - looks ok at VFL but still really doesn’t impose himself enough given his size - I would be surprised if he kept his place on the list next year 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Fullarton - like KFW he was monstered in the ruck by Meek who is a very big boy. I think there is a reason he spent his last year at Brisbane VFL team as a forward predominantly - rucking against taller and heavier opponents is tough for him and let’s face it at AFL level that is going to be the norm. We would be better off playing him as a KPF and trying to get him good at that - next season he may be one of our only options for that position 

Seems to be a bit of a reverse Grundy situation! I think the club knows he’s better as a forward, but if he is to play he’ll have to be a back up ruck. So they’re getting him as many ruck minutes as they can justify. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Seems to be a bit of a reverse Grundy situation! I think the club knows he’s better as a forward, but if he is to play he’ll have to be a back up ruck. So they’re getting him as many ruck minutes as they can justify. 

Maybe but reckon JVR will always be a better back up ruck than Fullarton - he’s much more aggressive and physical 

Imo if Fullarton is going to make it as a an AFL footballer it has to be as a KPF - over to you Tom 

• Clap 1

4 hours ago, 58er said:

Really unimpressed with the comments on the Casey Dees and our AFL contingent after the first real match.

Get a life they are not our AFL future any more. To keep them on our list was considered and rejected. JJ had a right to go.

I reckon every one who has posted has questioned these players ability to be an AFL Player over the last 2/3 years and y to get their long  term role at our Club.

ONE game in and surprise surprise up bobs their names as date I say it NOT THERE ie missing!!!’

The role of Casey is to feed through players of potential for our AFL and any team  success is a BONUS. 

Experience is the common ingredient missing from most of the 12 AListed who represented Casey from the Dees yesterday. 

That's why it looked a sort of a shambles plus due to our stuff up in the Finals of over estimating numbers of potential reserves needed for our AFL QF and Semi decimating the Casey team in the Finals and no doubt resulting in a walk out or two. 

It’s the very good Casey guys that were missed more so yesterday. 

Now our list of players have not weakened or strengthened their AFL careers as if losing yesterday at all. 
ONE swallow does not maketh  a summer.

Woe Kolt Pup Kynan AMW Adams Verrall Tommo Schache MJ KFW and one other are all depth at different stages and promising as well. No vhsnge from yesterday morning. All the better for the run and experience. 

Fat Tony and of course our resident Mr Negativity Poita have written all of the boys as above as no chance or too this or that. Cool the jets. We only need 4 or 5 to continue to show and improve to be back ups. 

For 2024 Woe AMW Pup and Kolt plus Tommo ( Disco Sestan as well) are legitimate depth potential who are likely to improve as the season progresses. Thsts what Casey provides. If you have a stronger list with more experience at Casey then you may have a successful team as well. 

It’s about the players  not the team performance that is the most vital for the Dees. 

Yhe cticism from one poster  of Kolt was disgraceful and unnecessary and MJ is a whipping boy of many. Players develop at completely differently levels in underage comps. 

You don’t throw your son or daughter out if they don’t walk by 10/12 mths and purchase another baby from the state authorities. 

Calm down snd look at the REAL objective of Casey and the inexperience of most of our depth which is exactly what’s needed st this stage. 

Howes Duke McVee etc are only a very good example of fast tracked AFL players contributing to our AFL success. There is no doubt thst A couple of others are there nearly as ready but we ate ridiculously impatient and overly judgemental in our expectations. 

The club is developing nicely at a fair pace as results are showing. It’s not s as instant so show some sense about our projected plans for recruits fgs. 

This will make you happy.

IMO Jeffo and Kolt will be regular players for us in the future.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'd be stoked if we can delist Kye Farris White before the mid season draft if it means it frees up a spot for an actual footballer from the bush or suburban who knows how to actually play as a ruckman.

Genuinely one of the worst AFL listed players I've seen since Brendan Van Schaik.

What a waste of a list spot.

This is an unnecessarily description of a bloke who is busting his gut to make it at AFL footy and Kyah is certainly doing that.  I know a little about him and he's leaving no stone unturned to get there and his commitment can't be questioned, only admired.

That said I agree it's highly unlikely he'll make it and that his game yesterday was poor.  But it wasn't for want of trying and the Casey coach did him no favours.  I was right behind the interchange bench and Kyah would have been lucky to play 40 minutes of footy.  And when he did play he didn't at any stage ruck, he played as the deepest forward and in the forward line with him were Schache and often Fullerton or Verrell. Jeffo also spent the last quarter there.

The delivery into the forward line, for anyone that saw it, was just awful and as third tall I can't remember Kyah being the target inside 50 once.  It was a diabolical piece of coaching for a bloke trying to learn the game and feel part of the team. To be playing third banana in a position he wasn't recruited for is just setting him up to fail.  Why wouldn't they have rucked him in the last 10 minutes when the game was gone?  Why not give him a go in his primary position?

I think there is a chance that you'll get your wish Dazzle and he might be gone by midyear although I'm not sure that achieves the objective of freeing up a list spot as he's a catagory B rookie.  But what a horrible unnecessary commentary from you, I thought you had more brains.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

This is an unnecessarily description of a bloke who is busting his gut to make it at AFL footy and Kyah is certainly doing that.  I know a little about him and he's leaving no stone unturned to get there and his commitment can't be questioned, only admired.

That said I agree it's highly unlikely he'll make it and that his game yesterday was poor.  But it wasn't for want of trying and the Casey coach did him no favours.  I was right behind the interchange bench and Kyah would have been lucky to play 40 minutes of footy.  And when he did play he didn't at any stage ruck, he played as the deepest forward and in the forward line with him were Schache and often Fullerton or Verrell. Jeffo also spent the last quarter there.

The delivery into the forward line, for anyone that saw it, was just awful and as third tall I can't remember Kyah being the target inside 50 once.  It was a diabolical piece of coaching for a bloke trying to learn the game and feel part of the team. To be playing third banana in a position he wasn't recruited for is just setting him up to fail.  Why wouldn't they have rucked him in the last 10 minutes when the game was gone?  Why not give him a go in his primary position?

I think there is a chance that you'll get your wish Dazzle and he might be gone by midyear although I'm not sure that achieves the objective of freeing up a list spot as he's a catagory B rookie.  But what a horrible unnecessary commentary from you, I thought you had more brains.

Yes upon reflection I was harsh and didn't mean it to come across that way but this isn't off the back of yesterday's performance.

His last 3 games at VFL level last year he didn't even register a stat at all. So let's not pretend it was yesterday's performance that was justified why people are writing him off already. 

It's harsh but it's also the reality. 

I've been quiet vocal previously around the way this category B selection is designed. It seems our recruiters got completely sucked in by athletic ability off the back of zero footballing ability. We've got genuine footballers out in the bush and suburban level who are busting their [censored] just to get on a list and yet we can just hand a list spot to a guy that his only strentgh os being really really tall.

I can think of Mark Blicvas and Mason Coz as successful storied to come out of this. That's it.

Nothing against KFW because I'm sure he's a lovely kid, but reality is, he's not even Essendon District Footy league standard level.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yes upon reflection I was harsh and didn't mean it to come across that way but this isn't off the back of yesterday's performance.

His last 3 games at VFL level last year he didn't even register a stat at all. So let's not pretend it was yesterday's performance that was justified why people are writing him off already. 

It's harsh but it's also the reality. 

I've been quiet vocal previously around the way this category B selection is designed. It seems our recruiters got completely sucked in by athletic ability off the back of zero footballing ability. We've got genuine footballers out in the bush and suburban level who are busting their [censored] just to get on a list and yet we can just hand a list spot to a guy that his only strentgh os being really really tall.

I can think of Mark Blicvas and Mason Coz as successful storied to come out of this. That's it.

Nothing against KFW because I'm sure he's a lovely kid, but reality is, he's not even Essendon District Footy league standard level.

There is a solution and I’m not sure that it’s going to be palatable for everyone but it’s something I suggested a while ago. That is to give him more of an opportunity to develop KFW’s ruck craft by loaning him to a suitable club in the VAFA where he can get plenty of game time actually playing in the ruck. There are some seasoned ruckmen at that level and 80 minutes of time in the ruck is better than 40 minutes stranded in a forward pocket when the ball is spending 75% of time in defence.

The idea is not original. A couple of years ago, Collingwood arranged for one of its rookies to play with Beaumaris Reserves in VAFA B Section. I don’t think it succeeded in the end, but the player in question was given every opportunity to develop his craft.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

This will make you happy.

IMO Jeffo and Kolt will be regular players for us in the future.

I really hope you’re right Redleg - Kolt I can see it with Jefferson I just can’t despite wanting him to succeed 

36 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

There is a solution and I’m not sure that it’s going to be palatable for everyone but it’s something I suggested a while ago. That is to give him more of an opportunity to develop KFW’s ruck craft by loaning him to a suitable club in the VAFA where he can get plenty of game time actually playing in the ruck. There are some seasoned ruckmen at that level and 80 minutes of time in the ruck is better than 40 minutes stranded in a forward pocket when the ball is spending 75% of time in defence.

The idea is not original. A couple of years ago, Collingwood arranged for one of its rookies to play with Beaumaris Reserves in VAFA B Section. I don’t think it succeeded in the end, but the player in question was given every opportunity to develop his craft.

See ive been a big fan of this proposal for a long time and don't understand why clubs don't often do this.

Since the VFL got rid of thee development league, I really feel that this has stunted the development and growth of so many players over the journey especially the raw taller players that need the time and effort.

KFW for instance would be a starting ruckman in the development league and would play much more bigger minutes then what he is doing now.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, 58er said:

I think you are completely missing the point.

People are pointing to players no longer there to demonstrate the difference in the quality of the team’s midfield strength this year compared to last and not because of regrets about their leaving.

What disappointed me was that there are some development players on the Casey list who were close to being drafted in the past year or two but not selected. I refer to the likes of Brayden Laplanche, Kobe Shipp, Ziggy Toledo, Oscar Van Dam and Kai Windsor. The club might be better served giving games to players of this ilk than to a few on the fringe who struggled to get a touch yesterday.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I could be wrong but recall last year KFW playing at a lower level, particularly early in the season. I suspect they'll do the same this year.

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

I really hope you’re right Redleg - Kolt I can see it with Jefferson I just can’t despite wanting him to succeed 

Yeah well Jeffo certainly did show some signs last year playing forward and lets face it he was recruited pick 15 AS A FORWARD! WTF this decision to play him as a defender has no merit whatsover. Whatever confidence he did have must be gone to the Shizzen! Terrible player management IMV

Edited by picket fence
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, The Oracle said:

I think you are completely missing the point.

People are pointing to players no longer there to demonstrate the difference in the quality of the team’s midfield strength this year compared to last and not because of regrets about their leaving.

What disappointed me was that there are some development players on the Casey list who were close to being drafted in the past year or two but not selected. I refer to the likes of Brayden Laplanche, Kobe Shipp, Ziggy Toledo, Oscar Van Dam and Kai Windsor. The club might be better served giving games to players of this ilk than to a few on the fringe who struggled to get a touch yesterday.

I believe we have one spot in the midseason draft.  Would any of these be an option? If so who would you see as the best prospect?

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Yeah well Jeffo certainly did show some signs last year playing forward and lets face it he was recruited pick 15 AS A FORWARD! WTF this decision to play him as a defender has no merit whatsover. Whatever confidence he did have must be gone to the Shizzen! Terrible player management IMV

Mr Fence.  I can only think as others have mentioned that this could be perhaps seen as development, though I agree that we are in pressing need of a tall forward in the near future. 
I don’t know enough about Casey’s forward talls - is he being squeezed out at all?  I sadly remember KF prospects when we were aligned with Sandringham being squeezed out and their development stunted by Nick Saunter.  Though, frankly, our young player development was overall pretty 💩 back then.  The only youngster I can clearly remember from those days who had any success developing through the Zebras was  one Nathan Jones. 

Edited by monoccular

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

I don’t see playing the kid in the backline as his biggest problem 

There have been plenty of guys who have spent time in defence as part of their education before becoming AFL forwards - in our own club we’ve had several 

Neitz and Petty being recent examples

He has a very long steep hill to climb imo before he is even close to playing AFL 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1