Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 02 vs Hawthorn

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Leaving injuries aside when you win by 7 goals why change?

Well there may be a reason, yesterday was a very hot day and with one day less the Hawks who played in the cool we may need some fresh legs. Then we have two games in Adelaide, the second game is only a 5 day break.

This.  This will be the longest season ever and player management for mature lists like ours is paramount. 

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Dogs are a 6-10 side. Hawks are a 10-14 side.

If we are any good needs to be a regulation win in what is looking like a pleasant day

Dogs aren't a top 8 side with that backline imo.   Coffield, Khamis were absolute passengers if not liabilities. Add in Lobb and they are playing with 3 fewer players every other week. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

This.  This will be the longest season ever and player management for mature lists like ours is paramount. 

Dogs aren't a top 8 side with that backline imo.   Coffield, Khamis were absolute passengers if not liabilities. Add in Lobb and they are playing with 3 fewer players every other week. 

It's way too early, but It just seems that there are a bunch of teams like Geelong, Adelaide, Freo, Port, who have a tougher underbelly and are gearing themselves towards adding pressure and defence with their attack. Those attitributes should help them leap frog the Dogs, who are stuck in Bevo Land and need a fresh start - they just can't learn to defend territorially. Then you've got the northern academy teams who are sure to feature heavily in the finals. Leaving Coll/Carl/Melb probably up there too as the big Vics. I just can't see a reason for the Dogs to get out of the bottom 6. Talent doesn't get you beyond that anymore.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

Let's hope Goody doesn't go back to fielding a side full of smalls - the balance of bigs and littles was just so much better than against Sydney, not to mention that we have a better balance of quicks and slows this year with Windsor complimenting Kozzie, Langdon etc.

This week the Hawks are likely to have Lewis, Chol and either Gunston or Kossy, which means we can again go big down back.

Personally I don't see how anyone could drop Brown after his game, but if they are desperate to play him, then happy for him to be the sub.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

29 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Let's hope Goody doesn't go back to fielding a side full of smalls - the balance of bigs and littles was just so much better than against Sydney, not to mention that we have a better balance of quicks and slows this year with Windsor complimenting Kozzie, Langdon etc.

This week the Hawks are likely to have Lewis, Chol and either Gunston or Kossy, which means we can again go big down back.

Personally I don't see how anyone could drop Brown after his game, but if they are desperate to play him, then happy for him to be the sub.

Agree. We keep Brown until he needs a rest or hits a rough patch (Prob in wet weather) - Petty comes in for SA games. Its not out of the realm of possibility we go with 3 talls. Or that JVR gets dropped on form, before both. No one can predict what the best forward line mix will be come September. Roll with it!

Edited by John Demonic
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

the suspension is just for the kick i believe. The upending part must have been deemed legal? or just worthy of a free kick

id be surprised if they can’t overturn the decision and grade the kick low impact 

Really?  I would have thought attacking a player when the game is stopped, coming in low and flipping him right up in the air and off his feet must be deemed an offense worse than a free kick.  Not to mention the possibility of the player landing on his head and injuring his neck.  IMO a kick even if it misses is unforgivable.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

9 minutes ago, sue said:

Really?  I would have thought attacking a player when the game is stopped, coming in low and flipping him right up in the air and off his feet must be deemed an offense worse than a free kick.  Not to mention the possibility of the player landing on his head and injuring his neck.  IMO a kick even if it misses is unforgivable.

McGrath went at Sicily. Sicily sitting him on his backside should be rewarded for efficient self defence. The kick was a little bit naughty, but he should get off.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Agree. We keep Brown until he needs a rest or hits a rough patch (Prob in wet weather) - Petty comes in for SA games. Its not out of the realm of possibility we go with 3 talls. Or that JVR gets dropped on form, before both. No one can predict what the best forward line mix will be come September. Roll with it!

Add to that , the option of Petty going Back.

Where they play him will most likely be decided by the form/ fitness of Brown and McDonald ( Van Rooyen less part of that discussion as he is required as the relief for Gawn )

When ready, Petty comes in, at this stage most likely for McDonald ( unlucky ).

42 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

McGrath went at Sicily. Sicily sitting him on his backside should be rewarded for efficient self defence. The kick was a little bit naughty, but he should get off.

Doesn't matter that McGrath initiated things.  If what he did was worthy of punishment, then he should get punished too.  But launching a player up in the air and then slinging a leg at him is not excused by having been provoked.  If he Sicily gets off then it's open slather on doing similarly every time the play is stopped.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

14 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Add to that , the option of Petty going Back.

Where they play him will most likely be decided by the form/ fitness of Brown and McDonald ( Van Rooyen less part of that discussion as he is required as the relief for Gawn )

When ready, Petty comes in, at this stage most likely for McDonald ( unlucky )

.Never has two opinions been expressed with such odd statements and comments.

Really neither Petty will play in defence nor will JVR be dropped. 
Tmac if fit could play all season in defence although we must consider our small defenders on some occasions to play on opposition smalls.

Bowey could well return when fit but it does look rosy when Judd and Riv also Howes are doing fine. 

watch this space.

32 minutes ago, sue said:

Doesn't matter that McGrath initiated things.  If what he did was worthy of punishment, then he should get punished too.  But launching a player up in the air and then slinging a leg at him is not excused by having been provoked.  If he Sicily gets off then it's open slather on doing similarly every time the play is stopped.

The kick will be a fine or a week, I'm not really fussed.

Dumping McGrath was well worth it. You run at someone looking for trouble and it should be open slather. Players agitating a defender after kicking a goal and as blatantly as McGrath did don't deserve any protection, it should be an immediate free kick against them, failing that, a body slam.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, DubDee said:

but it’s the AFL system so applying logic doesn’t work. It’s a kick but it’s graded by severity. Anyone can argue the kick was not high impact, and they would win the argument 

Yep, understand your point.

A deliberate kick, as opposed to a tap, should not be condoned by lack of severity.

It’s always been a no no, like spitting, biting and king hitting.

• Clap 1

4 hours ago, Winners at last said:

There's no way Petty will play v Hawks.

Would have thought you don't tinker with a 45 point win.

And with a buy coming up you have the 'managed' side covered for now.

Unless there's a serious niggle or two post match?

Sparrow & Fritsch need to lift.

A fit (and in form via Casey?) McAdam would put some pressure on Fritta but he still has plenty of credits.

Moniz same for Chandler but not after his performance vs the Doggies.

Sparrow also has credits but has opened with two pretty poor performances.  And who replaces him?

Petty needs further time at Casey & at training according to Mr Fence.  No need to rush him back in.  Sounds very much like he's still two to three weeks away from being match ready (minimum).

From Hawks big footy site… plenty of comedy gold left there, they went from very cocky to bronzing themselves after the doggies match, tbf, plenty of respect for Gawn though. The fact they argue about Frost the way we used to had me in stitches.

‘Frost was probably on our top 3-4 players today, absolutely no way he gets dropped. Even suggesting it is laughable and shows you are letting your pre conceived notions about Frost take over.’

and

I'd argue that Frost has the best weapon out of any dour stoppers in the league. He's lightning quick and can kick the leather off the ball. 

The only problem is he's a weapon that often cuts both ways!

and

The Dees demise appears overstated

and

Max was bloody awesome today. An extra mid. Ominous signs. 

My personal favourite 

Gawn just demolished English. Get the vas.

you think Sicily just misunderstood Mitchells instructions on how to cork an oppositions players leg?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I wouldn't be calling for Sparrow to be dropped. From what I can tell he is doing enough execute his role without necessarily getting any rewards. Sometimes players need continuity of games to break through drops in form. Sending blokes to the VFL is not always the answer. Chandler on the weekend is a great example of that. 

No need to play around too much with a team that just beat the Dogs by 7 goals. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Not about dropping him or keeping him, I think everyone would want a fit Ben Brown in the side every week but it will be about managing him if he can't withstand a whole season of straight games, which he probably can't.  Rest him and play him as his body allows, let him heal etc. 

Be well :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Redleg said:

Yep, understand your point.

A deliberate kick, as opposed to a tap, should not be condoned by lack of severity.

It’s always been a no no, like spitting, biting and king hitting.

100% agree. The level of impact is irrelevant, kicking is just a shocking thing to do.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

I reckon Sicily gets off due to the MRP framework at Hawthorn's disposal.

All Hawthorn have to do is argue that the kick was low impact rather than medium. McGrath will help out Sicily and has already been on record by confirming on radio that the he received no bruising and incurred no pain from the kick.

I think we need to prepare for Sicily to play on Saturday and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

100% agree. The level of impact is irrelevant, kicking is just a shocking thing to do.

McGrath is off the ground trying to hip and shoulder him. I’d give McGrath a fine and Sicily a reprimand. If Sicily played for Melbourne we’d be fuming this decision.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 18/03/2024 at 10:42, forever demons said:

Dont get all the love for Petty on here,has not done enough to convince me he is a top forward,good backman yes but !!

AGREE 100%

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

McGrath is off the ground trying to hip and shoulder him. I’d give McGrath a fine and Sicily a reprimand. If Sicily played for Melbourne we’d be fuming this decision.

I wouldn't personally. I'd accept it and move on and tell the player to never kick someone again.

I had no issue with Sicily knocking McGrath over given they were coming at him, but kicking in any form is a dog act.

In my view biting, spitting on or kicking a player should be automatic suspensions.

No place for them in the game.

Edited by DistrACTION Jackson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

26 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I wouldn't personally. I'd accept it and move on and tell the player to never kick someone again.

I had no issue with Sicily knocking McGrath over given they were coming at him, but kicking in any form is a dog act.

In my view biting, spitting on or kicking a player should be automatic suspensions.

No place for them in the game.

The barely connects, it’s basically incidental contact 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1