PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

Demonland

2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I would have Tomlinson in for TMac, he’s coming off a calf niggle and a lot of people have listed him as cooked? I would also give Windsor another run and Verrall needs to be in the starting 22 to support Max.😁

Agree with your Verrell comment. Don’t take notice of all the trackers mis have written both Tmac and BBB as dead. 

We wont  know unless they get to full fitness if that’s possible. How long they can be match fit over 35 weeks is in the lap of the gods but it’s worth our while trying to get them to the post. Both would be a better prospect than Schache unless he gets busy and competes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I would have Tomlinson in for TMac, he’s coming off a calf niggle and a lot of people have listed him as cooked? I would also give Windsor another run and Verrall needs to be in the starting 22 to support Max.😁

I’ll tell you who is cooked Tomlinson complete spud with Windsor can’t fit them all in and with Verrall van Rooyen can take his spot

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 2

3 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I’ll tell you who is cooked Tomlinson complete spud with Windsor can’t fit them all in and with Verrall van Rooyen can take his spot

You want Verrall, a 2nd year ruckman to play as a key defender?

• Like 3

On 18/02/2024 at 16:37, whatwhat say what said:

seems to me the plan is for salem to play in the guts in 2024

i expect, given this is the last run before season start, they'll go with a similar line-up to that which they intend to take on sydney with, which might mean pickett doesn't play in this practice game

Nope, don't like Salem in the guts; his best strength is back flank for mine, he knows the Lever/May/McVee routines and clears well to position - particularly when fit or free to make running space with the ball. Some backline shepherding would help, as would run-on either side. Defensively, he's quite good at spoils and intercepts, tagging the man and short clearances to expectant and moving receivers. The backline needs him in these roles bringing more 'team' to their responsibilities onfield.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

You want Verrall, a 2nd year ruckman to play as a key defender?

No. McDonald can do it.

• Like 1

Just now, drysdale demon said:

Windsor a spud? WTF, Tomlinson is no spud either, I hate that term of calling payers spuds.

You've taken it out of context. It reads with Windsor you can't fit them all in. Not that he's a spud, but I disagree Tomlinson and Schache are spuds the sooner they are off the list the better.

• Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

26 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

You've taken it out of context. It reads with Windsor you can't fit them all in. Not that he's a spud, but I disagree Tomlinson and Schache are spuds the sooner they are off the list the better.

You didn't type that exactly, have a look at your original post.

2 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

• Like 2

Interesting that we rolled 2 complete midfields, with extras, on Sunday.  Trac, Viney and sparrow (add in ANB and kozzie), then Salo, Oliver and (brayshaw*) (with Riv to pinch through there).  Both would be competitive in the afl. Perhaps we will rollout two elite groups where the others rest/ take on alternate roles throughout games.  Would be unique in approach.

• Like 2

FWIW Tomlinson was very poor Sunday, and yet he has been excellent in match sims at Casey, Shache gee he also has been very good at match sims but just doesn't do enough in games! Windsors execution with hand and foot has been fantastic in match sims but was of target Sunday. He will be every bit as good as a Winger as anyone currently playing in the AFL! Veral REALLY impressed me last Sunday and might surprise a few!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/02/2024 at 14:38, WERRIDEE said:

Play the strongest side possible

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Salem, McDonald, Rivers

C: Brayshaw, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Billings, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Pickett, Fritsch, Spargo

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Bowey, Sparrow, Chandler, K. Brown

SUB: Verrall

EMERG: Windsor, Woewodin, Howes

I liked the look of Verrall, another promising South Aussie product.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Like the cut of Verrall's jib.

Another talented SA boy.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 18/02/2024 at 15:45, Diamond_Jim said:

Tomlinson is not the guy to have against a fastball team other than in the last line and we have May for that.

Turner was probably the next in line but he's now out for months.

Suppose that leaves Howe. Is he up to it?

On 18/02/2024 at 15:56, Neil Crompton said:

Hore maybe?

On 18/02/2024 at 15:39, beelzebub said:

🤔 whos our 3rd up defender.... might be an opening.....just sayin' 

Marty for mine with Turner out.

Howes is more suited to a winger role imv.

Just don't expect miracles from Marty early.  Been out of the top line system for a while.  Might take him a month or so to find his mojo but that would also be dependent on his overall performances and how tolerant Goody & the FD are.

Marty's a damn fine player on his day.  His only question mark was his disposal skills.  Can only hope he's cleaned that up a fair degree during his abscence.

If he has, he just might surprise a few and become the regular 3rd wheel in defence in 24.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Nope, don't like Salem in the guts; his best strength is back flank for mine, he knows the Lever/May/McVee routines and clears well to position - particularly when fit or free to make running space with the ball. Some backline shepherding would help, as would run-on either side. Defensively, he's quite good at spoils and intercepts, tagging the man and short clearances to expectant and moving receivers. The backline needs him in these roles bringing more 'team' to their responsibilities onfield.

Absolutely Deemania you have my vote  Salem belongs in the backline. Nothing more satisfying than seeing that perfect left foot kick of his hit up a teammate running through the middle 

Rivers a stint in the guts is ok by me. What about the odd cameo from young Brownie? Maybe not strong enough yet but I reckon he'll be there one day.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Marty for mine with Turner out.

Howes is more suited to a winger role imv.

Just don't expect miracles from Marty early.  Been out of the top line system for a while.  Might take him a month or so to find his mojo but that would also be dependent on his overall performances and how tolerant Goody & the FD are.

Marty's a damn fine player on his day.  His only question mark was his disposal skills.  Can only hope he's cleaned that up a fair degree during his abscence.

If he has, he just might surprise a few and become the regular 3rd wheel in defence in 24.

Yes indeed Dd.

I'm so glad we have taken him back into the fold. Especially with Disco out for a while.

I was surprised we let him ever go in the first place. He's a quality player. But yes, he may take a couple of weeks for him to find his groove. Welcome back MH.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, picket fence said:

FWIW Tomlinson was very poor Sunday, and yet he has been excellent in match sims at Casey, Shache gee he also has been very good at match sims but just doesn't do enough in games! Windsors execution with hand and foot has been fantastic in match sims but was of target Sunday. He will be every bit as good as a Winger as anyone currently playing in the AFL! Veral REALLY impressed me last Sunday and might surprise a few!

I think what we take away is that match sims within our own team are not a great reflection of how guys will perform when the rubber hits the road 

I haven’t watched the game against Richmond (is it available anywhere other than Kayo?) but I’m encouraged by your comments on Windsor and also Verrall who I think has a reasonable future if he can get really fit 

17 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Sam Walsh unlikely to play against us and is on a modified program due to back soreness.

Gee if he needs to have more surgery on his back the blues chances are just about cut in half. 

Walsh will have back issues for his whole career after he had surgery on it last year, he and Carlton need to find the right balance for training loads and recovery. Not the first sportsman to face such issues and won't be the last. Will poll very well in the Brownlow in 2024 is my sneaky tip ...

21 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

I know, everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but name-calling? Really???

• Like 6

Wasn't sure where to put this, but so awesome to see Clarry with Trac and Andy Moniz-Wakefield working with a stretching coach outside of the club. Trac posted this on his Instagram if anyone is wondering.

He seems to be really putting in the extras to get himself fit and ready for the season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1