Jump to content

PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton


Demonland

Recommended Posts

I know it's only a preseason game, but think we need to win this to build some confidence and belief heading into round 0. After our preseason from hell hopefully only good news from here...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

I know it's only a preseason game, but think we need to win this to build some confidence and belief heading into round 0. After our preseason from hell hopefully only good news from here...

When we win the GF 😉 we will have experienced the longest season in VFL/AFL history. Most important to me is no injuries and enough glimpses to have confidence we are on the right track. Being right on top of our game in February would actually make me more nervous than confident. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rednblueriseing said:

I know it's only a preseason game, but think we need to win this to build some confidence and belief heading into round 0. After our preseason from hell hopefully only good news from here...

Be nice to get a win but I don't think it will really have any bearing on the season proper...Carlton will be out for a strong showing on their home deck too. No injuries is always the most important thing!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sisso said:

Be nice to get a win but I don't think it will really have any bearing on the season proper...Carlton will be out for a strong showing on their home deck too. No injuries is always the most important thing!

These games are about getting match reps into plays sans injury first and foremost. Then they would be looking to tick a whole lot of boxes in terms of implementing what they have been working on in their own match sims.

Being closer to opening round there will likely be larger periods of best 22 if available. I'm most keen to see how we structure up behind the ball. See if there has been any changes to Goodwins drop tactics to allow teams to move the ball freely up until the HB line to create turnover and attack from HB through the corridor like we saw early on last week.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, sisso said:

Be nice to get a win but I don't think it will really have any bearing on the season proper

Maybe not the season proper but it will certainly have a big bearing on whether or not the sky is falling and all of Demonland is going to implode into a vortex of hopelesness.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TDS said:

This is 5 mins from my place. You need to be early. One tip is to hit bottom of sydney road west side at 6:01pm when the clearway ends. Heaps of parks, and a 1-2 tram stops back down to IKON. Unless you have pre-game committments that's my hot tip. Parking over east side of IKON is a mix of permit, 2hr and full. Royal parade itself if you get lucky. 

I appreciate your first post here being used to give such excellent advise - thanks! 👍

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Max said Clarrie will play in the VFL game on Wednesday. What do we think?

Yes - the Herald Sun is quoting Max that Clarry will play with the VFL team on Wednesday morning, the objective being to ensure that he’s cherry ripe to return and to do so over the long term. I’m good with that and hope he’s not ruled out for Round Zero.

In a separate report in the Herald Sun:-

WHO DIDN'T PLAY IN MATCH SIM: Tall Tom McDonald (calf), winger Lachie Hunter (calf) and Charlie Spargo (achilles) missed against Richmond but hope to play against Carlton.

Harrison Petty was also absent due to toe soreness, with the Demons to monitor him in the next few days. Taj Woewodin (concussion) and Andy Moniz-Wakefield (thigh) are both expected to be available to face Carlton.

WHO WILL UP THEIR MINUTES: Key men

Clayton Oliver and Christian Salem both played in the back end of the seven periods against Richmond and will be watched closely as they push to play in Opening Round. Max Gawn also just played one half.

WHO IS A WHILE OFF: Shane McAdam has had an interrupted pre-season and looks likely to miss the Carlton game due to calf tightness.

Daniel Turner (leg stress fracture), Ben Brown (knee), Tom Fullarton (hamstring), Jake Melksham (knee) are also out. Angus Brayshaw has retired.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/02/2024 at 15:33, Deemania since 56 said:

Nope, don't like Salem in the guts; his best strength is back flank for mine, he knows the Lever/May/McVee routines and clears well to position - particularly when fit or free to make running space with the ball. Some backline shepherding would help, as would run-on either side. Defensively, he's quite good at spoils and intercepts, tagging the man and short clearances to expectant and moving receivers. The backline needs him in these roles bringing more 'team' to their responsibilities onfield.

 

Well get used to it! It’s likely gonna shown at least early, reiterated by Richo & makes sense at stages given he keeps getting tagged out of games at HB

Edited by Tolstoys Nudge
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Well get used to it! It’s likely gonna shown at least early, reiterated by Richo & makes sense at stages given he keeps getting tagged out of games at HB

I like this however wouldn't have minded seeing Rivers get a run through there. Can't see that happening as our back flankers are looking thin if Salem plays more midfield.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Nascent said:

I like this however wouldn't have minded seeing Rivers get a run through there. Can't see that happening as our back flankers are looking thin if Salem plays more midfield.

If its choice between Riv and Salo in the middle i'd take Salo.

One, on what i swa in the praccy match he looks a natural inside mid.

And two, i think we lose more not having Riv playing back with his run and carry and long kicking. He has become a critical player for us down there, particularly in terms of how we transition the ball. 

And i think we can cover salo more easily too - Bowser for one. Not sure we have a natural cover for Riv - Howes perhaps in time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Yes - the Herald Sun is quoting Max that Clarry will play with the VFL team on Wednesday morning, the objective being to ensure that he’s cherry ripe to return and to do so over the long term. I’m good with that and hope he’s not ruled out for Round Zero.

In a separate report in the Herald Sun:-

WHO DIDN'T PLAY IN MATCH SIM: Tall Tom McDonald (calf), winger Lachie Hunter (calf) and Charlie Spargo (achilles) missed against Richmond but hope to play against Carlton.

Harrison Petty was also absent due to toe soreness, with the Demons to monitor him in the next few days. Taj Woewodin (concussion) and Andy Moniz-Wakefield (thigh) are both expected to be available to face Carlton.

WHO WILL UP THEIR MINUTES: Key men

Clayton Oliver and Christian Salem both played in the back end of the seven periods against Richmond and will be watched closely as they push to play in Opening Round. Max Gawn also just played one half.

WHO IS A WHILE OFF: Shane McAdam has had an interrupted pre-season and looks likely to miss the Carlton game due to calf tightness.

Daniel Turner (leg stress fracture), Ben Brown (knee), Tom Fullarton (hamstring), Jake Melksham (knee) are also out. Angus Brayshaw has retired.

Angus Brayshaw has retired.

How about calling it out for what it is? Assault and battery.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

WHO DIDN'T PLAY IN MATCH SIM: Tall Tom McDonald (calf), winger Lachie Hunter (calf) and Charlie Spargo (achilles) missed against Richmond but hope to play against Carlton.

Harrison Petty was also absent due to toe soreness, with the Demons to monitor him in the next few days. Taj Woewodin (concussion) and Andy Moniz-Wakefield (thigh) are both expected to be available to face Carlton.

WHO IS A WHILE OFF: Shane McAdam has had an interrupted pre-season and looks likely to miss the Carlton game due to calf tightness.

Daniel Turner (leg stress fracture), Ben Brown (knee), Tom Fullarton (hamstring), Jake Melksham (knee) are also out. Angus Brayshaw has retired.

With the BB article suggesting he is only 2-3 weeks away from being back training in the main group and Fullerton a couple of weeks away from returning, our injury situation is not quite as dire as some in the media have suggested - certainly not preseason from hell stuff. 

Including Gus, with Melk and turner out for that's only three players who wont be available for big blocks, and Turner will be back before the mid season bye (and got the clicks in before his injury).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, binman said:

With the BB article suggesting he is only 2-3 weeks away from being back training in the main group and Fullerton a couple of weeks away from returning, our injury situation is not quite as dire as some in the media have suggested - certainly not preseason from hell stuff. 

Including Gus, with Melk and turner out for that's only three players who wont be available for big blocks, and Turner will be back before the mid season bye (and got the clicks in before his injury).

Your forgetting Petty his injury is unclear.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll With Clarry playing in the 2's I have to change the team. I think the team won't change too much. Salem will come in and maybe Woewodin, unfortunately, I think McDonald will start in the 2's.

B: Hore, May, McVee

HB: Salem, Lever, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Billings, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Chandler, Fritsch, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Sparrow, Viney

IC: Bowey, K. Brown, Verrall, Laurie

SUB: Woewodin

EMERG: Spargo, Howes, McDonald

Casey

B: Howes, Tomlinson, Adams

HB: Connelly, McDonald, Lual

C: Steele, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Sestan, Schache, Tholstrup

F: Spargo, Jefferson, Moniz-Wakefield

FOLL: Farris-White, White, Szybkowski

IC: Peters, Shipp, LaPlanche, Valentine, Freeman

Edited by WERRIDEE
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Kent said:

This list was on the Demonland home page  I presumed it had some official provenance.

But all players listed as TBC tells nothing.

Unless Andy puts list under his Demonland heading it’s most likely an opinion only. Too many Demonlanders depend upon posts from us which are a mash of info of no real substance.

I am staggered at the random Team selections by our members some going straight to Round1 completely ignoring Opening Round as if it doesn’t exist. And until the club publishes an update for the practice match all bets on players availability are off IMO. Then after Wef night we are then talking seriously on the real team for Sydney IMO. 

BTW not one D/L has praised our MFC website with the Angus retirement posts and videos. I think they have been good and hit the mark. Credit where credit is due. A couple of AFL site Footy Feed ( other than Darcy Moore delivering a credit on Maynard’s behalf trying to support his pathetic attempts of sincerity to Angus. It resembles a car crash perpetrator or his family trying to apologise to his victims after the event. Generally silence is golden in this situation of course due to legality issues. But the CFC and Pies army cannot gain any cred with us we clearly and correctly identify that blood is all over their hands ( and mouths). 

Well done Dees Media. 

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I’m being serious but whatever.

I think it makes sense to move it (apparently now a fait accompli). Looking at the Melbourne forecast for 10:30am to 12:30pm, they would be playing in temps starting at 28c and topping out around 30c… I don’t think that will handicap each team too much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Max said Clarrie will play in the VFL game on Wednesday. What do we think?

I think Clarrie will play Round 0, accumulate 35 disp with 2 goals. If not he'll do it Round 1 🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 58er said:

But all players listed as TBC tells nothing.

Unless Andy puts list under his Demonland heading it’s most likely an opinion only. Too many Demonlanders depend upon posts from us which are a mash of info of no real substance.

I am staggered at the random Team selections by our members some going straight to Round1 completely ignoring Opening Round as if it doesn’t exist. And until the club publishes an update for the practice match all bets on players availability are off IMO. Then after Wef night we are then talking seriously on the real team for Sydney IMO. 

BTW not one D/L has praised our MFC website with the Angus retirement posts and videos. I think they have been good and hit the mark. Credit where credit is due. A couple of AFL site Footy Feed ( other than Darcy Moore delivering a credit on Maynard’s behalf trying to support his pathetic attempts of sincerity to Angus. It resembles a car crash perpetrator or his family trying to apologise to his victims after the event. Generally silence is golden in this situation of course due to legality issues. But the CFC and Pies army cannot gain any cred with us we clearly and correctly identify that blood is all over their hands ( and mouths). 

Well done Dees Media. 

Err That was my point TBC!!!!V There is no clear info on injuries missing players or time frames

No wonder there is speculation around here 

Not well done MFC Media

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hardtack said:

I think it makes sense to move it (apparently now a fait accompli). Looking at the Melbourne forecast for 10:30am to 12:30pm, they would be playing in temps starting at 28c and topping out around 30c… I don’t think that will handicap each team too much.

Is there any direct coverage of this game? TV, radio, other media? Please advise if known. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Is there any direct coverage of this game? TV, radio, other media? Please advise if known. 

Kayo/Foxtel 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Is there any direct coverage of this game? TV, radio, other media? Please advise if known. 

It's on Kayo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Kayo/Foxtel 

Damn you beat me.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 525

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

    VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

    POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 486

    GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 959

    MELBOURNE BUSINESS by The Oracle

    In days of old, this week’s Thursday night AFL match up between the Demons and the Blues would be framed on the basis of the need to redress the fact that Carlton “stole” last year’s semi final away from Melbourne and with it, their hopes for the premiership.  A hot gospelling coach might point out to his charges that they were the better team on the night in all facets and that poor kicking for goal and a couple of lapses at the death cost them what was rightfully theirs. Moreover, now was

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 1
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...