• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2024 MFC Season Preview

Demonland

Melbourne 2024 preview: How added X-factor, hunger will help Demons rebound after consecutive finals losses

The Demons’ post-season has had more drama than a Taylor Swift break-up album, following a second consecutive straight-sets exit. LAUREN WOOD examines their prospects for 2024.

A second consecutive straight-sets exit and more post-season drama than a Taylor Swift break-up album has the spotlight firmly on the Demons in 2024. There’s been questions about culture, star midfielder Clayton Oliver under the microscope, cheeky swipes from Steven May at the B & F and more boardroom battles, but on-field is where they will be looking to exorcise their finals demons.

The Brodie Grundy experiment might have failed but having the endless talk about his future removed will be handy, while draftee Koltyn Tholstrup comes in with big wraps.

MELBOURNE

Coach: Simon Goodwin

Captain: Max Gawn

What happened in 2023?

It really was a season of missed opportunities for the Demons, who made the finals despite plenty not going their way.

They built a bank of early victories and were evenly split for results in close games as they tinkered with their forward setup in the absence of a key target.

Oliver was missing for large chunks due to injury, while the Gawn-Grundy ruck experiment was dead in the water by the second half of the season.

The team finished fourth on the ladder with a 16-7 record but crashed out of the finals in unspectacular fashion, leaving the Demons without a finals victory since their 2021 triumph.

Need to rectify things when the pressure reaches fever pitch.

Where do they finish in 2024?

While there’s been a few chops and changes in the trade period and additions in the draft, the spine of the team remains and it’s hard to see them dropping too far away.

Not sure they would have “smoked” Collingwood – as May put it so bluntly – in the grand final, but they’re definitely capable of more than consecutive straight-sets finals exits.

The spotlight will follow Clayton Oliver after his off-season issues, along with coach Simon Goodwin who was forced to go on the defence in a lengthy radio interview after the season had ended, defending the club’s culture and handling of a positive drug test for forward Joel Smith.

They were dominant in defence with May and Jake Lever absolute pillars, but need to sharpen offensively to gain that edge.

Delivered figures of 16.28 in front of goal in their last two outings – the Dees need to flip that script urgently.

Biggest improver in 2024?

Jacob Van Rooyen broke out and should only improve again to be a vital tall alongside a hopefully-fit Harrison Petty.

Draftee Koltyn Tholstrup will be a very close watch as is considered by those in the know to have been performing strongly to begin his first AFL pre-season.

Expect Judd McVee to take the next step after a full season at the level, with his body and game nous to only build next year.

MELBOURNE'S BEST 23

FB T. Rivers, S. May, A. Tomlinson
HB J. McVee, J. Lever, C. Salem
C L. Hunter, C. Oliver, E. Langdon
HF C. Spargo, B. Fritsch, A. Neal-Bullen
F J. Van Rooyen, H. Petty, S. McAdam
Foll M. Gawn, C. Petracca, J. Viney
Inter J. Bowey, T. Sparrow, A. Brayshaw, K. Chandler, J. Billings (sub)

X-factor

Shane McAdam should slot straight in after moving from Adelaide during the trade period, and is already mentoring draftee Tholstrup as they both settle into their respective lives as Demons.

If McAdam can find consistency and the team’s forwards stay fit, it could go a long way to unlocking the team’s offensive problems it has faced over recent months.

Clayton Oliver is one of the most electric players in the competition and if he can get things sorted, will be a more than handy addition for coach Simon Goodwin. Talk about an understatement.

Coach status

Simon Goodwin signed a two-year deal on the eve of the finals that sees him at the club until the end of 2026.

The new deal came amid more conjecture about the club’s culture and reported behavioural issues that had been said to have been raised at board level, but the Demons’ faith has seemingly unwavered in their man.

Who is in last year of contract?

Adam Tomlinson, Andy Moniz-Wakefield, Bailey Laurie, Ben Brown, Daniel Turner, Ed Langdon, Jake Bowey, Jake Melksham, Jed Adams, Joel Smith, Josh Schache, Kyah Farris-White, Kynan Brown, Lachie Hunter, Marty Hore, Oliver Sestan, Tom McDonald, Tom Sparrow, Will Verrall

Outs for 2024

More Coverage

Luke Dunstan (retired), Brodie Grundy (trade, Sydney), James Harmes (trade, Western Bulldogs), Michael Hibberd (retired), James Jordon (free agent, Sydney), Deakyn Smith (delisted), Kye Turner (delisted)

Ins for 2024

Jack Billings (trade, St Kilda), Kynan Brown (Rookie Draft, father-son), Tom Fullarton (trade, Brisbane), Marty Hore (SSP, Williamstown VFL), Shane McAdam (trade, Adelaide), Koltyn Tholstrup (No. 13 draft pick), Caleb Windsor (No. 7 draft pick)

Melbourne's first six games

Rd 1 Western Bulldogs @ MCG (W)
Rd 2 Hawthorn @ MCG (W)
Rd 3 Port Adelaide @ AO (L)
Rd 4 Adelaide @ AO (W)
Rd 5 Brisbane @ MCG (L)
Rd 6 BYE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Melbourne's first six games

Rd 1 Western Bulldogs @ MCG (W)
Rd 2 Hawthorn @ MCG (W)
Rd 3 Port Adelaide @ AO (L)
Rd 4 Adelaide @ AO (W)
Rd 5 Brisbane @ MCG (L)
Rd 6 BYE

Opening Round doesn’t count?

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

Kozzie doesn’t make the best 23……

“Not happy, Jan!”

— Werridee 

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

22 hours ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

Kozzie doesn’t make the best 23……

21 hours ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

I am assuming its meant to be a round 1 side hence Kozzie not available through suspension. It is very much a no depth puff piece highlighted by no mention of round 0 v Swans. 

Says best 23...but I'm guessing you are right or it's a huge oversight.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

I am assuming its meant to be a round 1 side hence Kozzie not available through suspension. It is very much a no depth puff piece highlighted by no mention of round 0 v Swans. 

Yet she has Petty and Oliver. Poor research. 

• Like 2

On 26/12/2023 at 10:25, Clintosaurus said:

Lauren Wood is a Bummers fan so no surprise it is so poorly researched.

She’s right about one thing… the Juddster will be one of the ‘big improvers’ of 2024. I reckon we’ve hitched our wagon to a star with Knuckles. ️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from McVee spending more time up the ground (I've been on this bandwagon since R2 last year so still hoping), the player I'm most excited about is McAdam. I think he will be one of the recruits of the year. 

He brings a different skill set to our f50 and his marking ability is going to surprise a few.  Already on pre season snippets you can see him leading into small pockets of space and finding gaps. We've been desperately needing another forward who leads up at the ball, reads the flight and can beat his opponent one on one. Generally speaking we were too short up forward last year. I say he'll kick 40 goals with a few bags of 4 or 5. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

As much as I hate to day it... I can see us having a slide this year. It doesn't take much to fall behind the pack & I get the sense our off field issues will start to unravel... Wouldn't be surprised at all if we miss the 8 entirely.

Edited by JV7
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JV7 said:

As much as I hate to day it... I can see us having a slide this year. It doesn't take much to fall behind the pack & I get the sense our off field issues will start to unravel... Wouldn't be surprised at all if we miss the 8 entirely.

You predicting one all mighty new years eve brawl between half the playing list? 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, JV7 said:

I have the same sinking feeling 

I do hope not

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/12/2023 at 10:05, WalkingCivilWar said:

Opening Round doesn’t count?

Not does grammar.

"There's been questions..."/"There's been a few chops and changes.."

Once, it's an innocent mistake. Twice, as a writer she does not know her stuff.

Agree, missing Koz makes two deadly sins in one preview.

BTW at the cricket yesterday I saw the Hun had a big Dees article but as I don't read the trash rag (and couldn't pilfer it from its owner) can someone post it here please?

Edited by pitmaster
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JV7 said:

And if that occurs, the place will need a huge cleanout, starting at the top!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pitmaster said:

Not does grammar.

"There's been questions..."/"There's been a few chops and changes.."

Once, it's an innocent mistake. Twice, as a writer she does not know her stuff.

Agree, missing Koz makes two deadly sins in one preview.

BTW at the cricket yesterday I saw the Hun had a big Dees article but as I don't read the trash rag (and couldn't pilfer it from its owner) can someone post it here please?

Far be it from me to voluntarily defend an Essendon supporter, but in this case the author isn’t guilty of a grammatical error. “There’s” is a contraction. It represents “There is” but it also represents “There has” (as is the case in your quote above). What she is guilty of is slapping together an ill-researched article and, worse still, barracking for that vomitous team. 🤢 

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

I just hope Clayton Oliver can sort himself out.

With respect BDA, mental ill-health isn’t something that’s dealt with by someone “sorting themselves out.” Were it so simple 😢

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, JV7 said:

I would say the same thing except that these straight set years are really good on the legs - really good planning by the club. Ready to peak next year with a season that goes into an extra week or two…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

With respect BDA, mental ill-health isn’t something that’s dealt with by someone “sorting themselves out.” Were it so simple 😢

I have some doubts if he will play again anytime soon!🤯

Edited by picket fence
  • Sad 1

If we slide it will not be far.

The group will get a bit of fizz and bubble from the new recruits plus our draftees. Nothing like bringing a few fresh talented faces to training and game day.

The pre season was all about freshening up the list which was done superbly.

• Like 3