• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harrison Petty

Demonland

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Maybe I'm the only one that can actually see where Cornes is coming from?

All he's saying is that that now would be the perfect opportunity to cash in with the Crows instead of end of 2025 when they will be deep in finals contention and not have the luxury of having the early first round picks as they do now.

At the end of the day it only works if Petty advises Melbourne that he wants to go home and the Dees think that the Crows early picks are a suitable trade. That hasn't happened and the club has stated that Petty won't be traded, so all good.

It's amazing how some just see the name Kane Cornes and get triggered so easily.. 😅

I don't think it is realistic though.

Unless Petty does a Grundy, he's in the red and blue next year. The MFC have no obligation to let him go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

That's pretty complicated then it looks

Port have the right to potentially ask for more. I mean Butters is a genuine superstar in my opinion and I'd absolutely love him. I'd happily do that deal but I think Port would want more.

Well yeah.. that's why I said he hasn't stated to the footy club that he wants to leave....

He is worth more, however not when he requests a trade back home to a Victorian club. 

If Oliver was only worth 10 + 14 and McAdam, then Butters for 11 and Petty is pretty close in trade value. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

He is worth more, however not when he requests a trade back home to a Victorian club. 

If Oliver was only worth 10 + 14 and McAdam, then Butters for 11 and Petty is pretty close in trade value. 

Oliver 10 an 14 and Mc Adam????? Not a snowflakes chance in hell. He is worth MUCH More than that! Try Pick 1 , 2 and also another player!

• Like 3

I think it boils down to how Pettys meeting with Goody went. The club will have to put a new contract in front of him on a fair bit more coin. Big incentive  to sign it as I’d assume he could be half a mil better of over the next two years.

If the club is confident he will re-sign then Crows can bugger off. If he has said he won’t resign a massive offer would have to be considered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

But the deal is NOT in Melbourne’s favour that’s the point

We can’t win a flag next year without Petty unless we replace him with another ready made forward. So why then would we do this deal when Petty has not asked for a trade and has two years left on his contract?

Every chance he’s worth more next year and we don’t have a top 6 pick in hand. 

Mate no one is saying do the deal if Petty hasn't asked for a trade.. you're missing the point.

You're only doing the deal if Petty does go to the club and advises he wants to officially return home and the footy club see the Crows pick 10 and 14 as a good net return.

You're then potentially packaging up some of those picks for pick 1 to get Harley Reid who at least is destined for a 12-15 year career at the Dees. With a pick still in the teens you then go for someone like Nate Caddy who is probably the best key forward in the draft behind Jed Walter.

The club has come out and said that he won't be traded at all and that's where it sits. Petty won't leave at all unless he has a huge change of heart.

There's no harm in people discussing the hypotheticals and that's all Cornes was doing.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

But the deal is NOT in Melbourne’s favour that’s the point

We can’t win a flag next year without Petty unless we replace him with another ready made forward. So why then would we do this deal when Petty has not asked for a trade and has two years left on his contract?

Every chance he’s worth more next year and we don’t have a top 6 pick in hand. 

Not in Melbournes favour is your opinion not Melbournes thinking I have not cast him off but if it's a business and clubs treat it that way now more and likely he will stay.

15 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Oliver 10 an 14 and Mc Adam????? Not a snowflakes chance in hell. He is worth MUCH More than that! Try Pick 1 , 2 and also another player!

I agree - but that is what Adelaide offered us and the broad media was accepting of that. 

This is all just one hypothetical I hope that some nugget from the media picks it up and does a Tom Morris special and reports it as fact. I’d love it just to watch Korn squirm.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Butters value would be higher than Clarry, every day of the week.

Butters will command huge offers next year

Edited by BW511
  • Like 3
  • Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Mate no one is saying do the deal if Petty hasn't asked for a trade.. you're missing the point.

You're only doing the deal if Petty does go to the club and advises he wants to officially return home and the footy club see the Crows pick 10 and 14 as a good net return.

You're then potentially packaging up some of those picks for pick 1 to get Harley Reid who at least is destined for a 12-15 year career at the Dees. With a pick still in the teens you then go for someone like Nate Caddy who is probably the best key forward in the draft behind Jed Walter.

The club has come out and said that he won't be traded at all and that's where it sits. Petty won't leave at all unless he has a huge change of heart.

There's no harm in people discussing the hypotheticals and that's all Cornes was doing.

IF Petty asks for a trade then picks 10 and 14 don't help us get a flag next year.

Reid and Caddy might be sensational footballers, but the chances of them helping fill the key forward gap we will be left with in 2024 are close to 0.

Our window is wide open while Gawn and May are still going. Petty is out of contract in 2025, which is also when Gawn and May will likely retire.

If we don't go all out next year for a flag, and we say to Petty ok you want out we will trade with Adelaide, we are conceding that our chances of winning a flag in 2024 are slim.

I would rather back us in, hold Petty to his contract regardless, go  all out to win a flag and then worry about his desire to return home later.

We can get the Reid deal done without trading Petty, and if we can't, we are still going to be in flag contention. Reid in and Petty out doesn't get us closer to a flag IMO.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Not in Melbournes favour is your opinion not Melbournes thinking I have not cast him off but if it's a business and clubs treat it that way now more and likely he will stay.

Clearly it is in Melbourne's opinion, which is why they have said he is not getting traded.

If Adelaide came to the table with 10 and a tall forward, we probably would do the deal. But they haven't, so they can take a hike.

I agree with Corn on this one, except there is no Key Forward around to replace Petty with 

But he is right on one thing. Petty will never have this draft worth again. 
But we need him in 2024, even if he leaves next year 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

Cornes' analysis falls down badly at one point. He says Gunston is a better forward than Petty. Wrong. Gunston's days of kicking six goals in a game are long gone.

Funnily enough, he kicked a bag of 6 last season.

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Why not? 

He's 23. If he proves next year that he can be a power forward, as well as a proven key position defender, then why would his value be any lower? 

Are Adelaide or Port magically finding another 24 year old key forward/defender elsewhere who wants to relocate to SA? 

Port will be just as keen and will have better picks than they have this year. Could have a bidding war, plus give us 12 months to find a replacement. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

It is not beyond the realms that Petty will not play a game until well into the second half of next season. So if we intend to trade him next season two things will happen imo. He comes back strong and leads us to a GF or he struggles with the injury and his value drops significantly. Let's hope for the first and we can ask for the earth in return. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I agree with Corn on this one, except there is no Key Forward around to replace Petty with 

But we need him in 2024, even if he leaves next year 

Why not? If he smashes it next year and signs, say, a two year extension to his current contract, his draft worth will be through the roof. 

I see what Cornes is saying, but his argument is flawed - especially when he suggests going after Gunston, as a replacement. Makes no sense - Petty is an emerging talent, Gunston is in the last year or two of his career and dropped himself last season due to poor form.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Why not? 

He's 23. If he proves next year that he can be a power forward, as well as a proven key position defender, then why would his value be any lower? 

Are Adelaide or Port magically finding another 24 year old key forward/defender elsewhere who wants to relocate to SA? 

Port will be just as keen and will have better picks than they have this year. Could have a bidding war, plus give us 12 months to find a replacement. 

They are offering $ Mill a year.
That is huge for a player, with injury history and 2-3 serious games up forward 

I love Petty, he is a Premiership Player, but the contract the Croms are offering is ridiculous, and it is worth considering, if we can milk Adelaide for return picks

But there are no serious Forwards available this year. That is where Cornes theory falls to the ground 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

IF Petty asks for a trade then picks 10 and 14 don't help us get a flag next year.

Reid and Caddy might be sensational footballers, but the chances of them helping fill the key forward gap we will be left with in 2024 are close to 0.

Our window is wide open while Gawn and May are still going. Petty is out of contract in 2025, which is also when Gawn and May will likely retire.

If we don't go all out next year for a flag, and we say to Petty ok you want out we will trade with Adelaide, we are conceding that our chances of winning a flag in 2024 are slim.

I would rather back us in, hold Petty to his contract regardless, go  all out to win a flag and then worry about his desire to return home later.

We can get the Reid deal done without trading Petty, and if we can't, we are still going to be in flag contention. Reid in and Petty out doesn't get us closer to a flag IMO.

No but it keeps us in the hunt for sustained success. Even with Petty in the side there is no guarantee that he'll be fully fit going into next. He's going to start pre season behind the 8 ball and won't be able to fully train until well into the new year.

One player alone doesn't isn't the difference between winning the flag or not. We were literally one defensive spoil away from playing off in the preliminary final.

Losing Brayshaw in my opinion was a far bigger loss then losing Petty. We planned and structured around the Petty loss where as Brayshaw missing just completely unbalanced our midfield set up.

I agree that he won't be traded, but there is a positive net gain if he decided to change his mind over the next few days.

Losing him wouldn't be the difference to us not winning the flag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Maybe I'm the only one that can actually see where Cornes is coming from?

It's amazing how some just see the name Kane Cornes and get triggered so easily.. 😅

I agree Kane makes a lot of sense, if Petty does actually want to leave. if he does want to leave the Dunkley comparison is a relevant one. 

Kane has some out there opinions but it doesn’t mean he’s always wrong. 

A lot of demonlanders are triggered by Kane and Morris. I don’t get it as not many of their claims are outright wrong. They’re just doing their jobs and we all click on the articles!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BW511 said:

Butters value would be higher than Clarry, every day of the week.

Butters will command huge offers next year

i agree

he's younger, his kicking is superior, and there's none of this off-field malarkey

for the same reason errol gulden - who is also out of contract next year - is likely to have a higher 'value' than clayton

but if terms of trade value, butters is probably 'worth more' than the bont as well

• Like 1

Petty will have a higher trade value in SA next year. Both SA clubs will be in a position to trade for him, PA will have the picks from Butters leaving at a minimum, the Crows, despite the hype will still have decent draft picks. No Doodee, No Petty, very few good backs, a decent but not outstanding midfield, Walker a year older, they’re finishing 7-12. 
The revisionism here is incredible, Petty had an injury interrupted year THIS year, he’s 23, he’s not getting worse in future. He missed 5 games with a foot THIS YEAR in the middle of the season, came back and then missed the final 6 games again. His form was patchy, he played back, then forward, then back again and then finally forward where he struck form, for two and a half games. After a full preseason in one position, next to an older, stronger JVR, Petty will rip it up next year. He won’t miss “all of preseason” he’ll be back doing light running when we return and doing modified training after Xmas, fitness wise he’ll have a great chance to build a good base.

The “Petty’s value will never be higher” argument is coming from Adelaide, it’s the only reason MFC would CONSIDER moving him on. It’s malarkey.

8 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

Petty will have a higher trade value in SA next year. Both SA clubs will be in a position to trade for him, PA will have the picks from Butters leaving at a minimum, the Crows, despite the hype will still have decent draft picks. No Doodee, No Petty, very few good backs, a decent but not outstanding midfield, Walker a year older, they’re finishing 7-12. 
The revisionism here is incredible, Petty had an injury interrupted year THIS year, he’s 23, he’s not getting worse in future. He missed 5 games with a foot THIS YEAR in the middle of the season, came back and then missed the final 6 games again. His form was patchy, he played back, then forward, then back again and then finally forward where he struck form, for two and a half games. After a full preseason in one position, next to an older, stronger JVR, Petty will rip it up next year. He won’t miss “all of preseason” he’ll be back doing light running when we return and doing modified training after Xmas, fitness wise he’ll have a great chance to build a good base.

The “Petty’s value will never be higher” argument is coming from Adelaide, it’s the only reason MFC would CONSIDER moving him on. It’s malarkey.

Yep 2 serious foot injuries in one year

That is a concern.