• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2023 GRAND FINAL

Demonland

14 minutes ago, Demongirl35 said:

I loved loved loved us winning in 2021 but god I feel robbed at being able to celebrate :( come on dees! 2024 please! 

Absolutely.

Melbourne supporters (who didn’t illegally cross the border) missed out on the best month of their footballing supporters lives. 

Imagine beating Brisbane by 6 goals, Geelong by 80 and Dogs by 70, all at the MCG.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Absolutely.

Melbourne supporters (who didn’t illegally cross the border) missed out on the best month of their footballing supporters lives. 

Imagine beating Brisbane by 6 goals, Geelong by 80 and Dogs by 70, all at the MCG.

Definitely.

I hate that I feel so ungrateful for our club winning but I feel like a part of my footy supporting life will always be missing until we get it done at the G.

I want to celebrate with you all!

• Like 7

I actually don't know how to feel. I like *something* about Collingwood but I don't know what. They are just superbly coached. McRae is a very special get for them. Everyone here bangs on about our forward line but you cannot convince me they have more talent up forward than we do. It is 100% strategic. They set themselves up to succeed deep and quickly. We win long in defense and hope going to the well enough times will suffice.

Never has a team been both so uninspiring yet so inspiring at the same time. 

They are either gifted wins through the opposition's own choking/incompetence, or they just *find a way*. 

They are undoubtedly the best in a very tight core of 4-5 teams that encompasses Melbourne, Brisbane, Carlton, Sydney and GWS. 

I am just shocked that they have won and won the way they did. Just truly shocked.

Some here probably don't realise it bit we have absolutely thrown away a premiership this year with our choke in the QF. 

Good on Collingwood. Once they beat us they absolutely knew it was right there for them.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

Yeah, something happened there.
Disrespected Grundy bigtime.

Good luck trying to bring the next free agent to the club if that's how we're gonna treat 'em.

Yep, exactly. I suspect an element of selfishness and 'me me me' has crept into our game over the last few years. In 2021, we did all the 1%ers. We did the little things we needed to do as a team. We were team-orientated.

The examples that illustrate this were all for us to see in our two finals losses, and which totally cost us both games - particularly the Carlton game in the end. 

I am only speculating here, but I suspect Gawn turned around and told Goodwin he was sick of this combo situation (even though he signed up to it and agreed to it), Grundy was on the outer straight away because he wasn't part of the inner sanction power-base playing group (which Gawn rules), he expressed his displeasure, and his cards were basically marked not to play again because of his so-called attitude to the situation. Even after the 'stolen' Carlton game, Goodwin (who's the most robotic coach i've ever heard talk) basically admitted it was a mistake playing Grundy. In a round-about way, he knocked Grundy a few times - I've never heard him knock any of our other players ever (except for words about Jack Watts when he was traded saying, essentially, Watts was not prepared to push to the standards he expected). Total laughing stock situation.

I get that Gawn has been arguably our best ever ruckman and will go down as one of our best players in modern history. At the same time, he is captain of the club, and his leadership in the Carlton loss was severely lacking, not only through the two easy misses and ridiculous touching of Oliver's kick at goal, but by the facade in the last 90 seconds of that game. If you want to run the place and dominate the situation, stand up and lead us to the promised land.

Edited by Great Northern Summer
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, praha said:

I actually don't know how to feel. I like *something* about Collingwood but I don't know what. They are just superbly coached. McRae is a very special get for them. Everyone here bangs on about our forward line but you cannot convince me they have more talent up forward than we do. It is 100% strategic. They set themselves up to succeed deep and quickly. We win long in defense and hope going to the well enough times will suffice.

They are either gifted wins through the opposition's own choking/incompetence, or they just *find a way*. 

They are undoubtedly the best in a very tight core of 4-5 teams that encompasses Melbourne, Brisbane, Carlton, Sydney and GWS. 

I am just shocked that they have won and won the way they did. Just truly shocked.

Some here probably don't realise it bit we have absolutely thrown away a premiership this year with our choke in the QF. 

Good on Collingwood. Once they beat us they absolutely knew it was right there for them.

Agree with most of that, but Collingwood beat us fair and square in the QF. 

They kicked our butts when the heat was on in the first quarter to gain a 20 point qtr time lead, and then kicked the key goals in the third.

We threw away the semi final, but Collingwood were the deserved winners in the Qf.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, praha said:

Spot on - mostly.

I wouldn't say it's surprising they won - they are one team that finds a way to win games, regardless of the situation of the game and the opposition.

They beat us despite 32 inside 50s less - that never happens. Why? They kept their structure and discipline, despite the fact they were being outplayed. That enabled them to hang on - and our terrible goal kicking.

Likewise against GWS and the Lions. GWS really should have beaten them. They just kept their structure and it got them through. Same today.

Because their structure is so discipline and good, teams are not willing to take the game on and take risks against them. The Lions are generally a free-flowing team. They move the ball rapidly. Today, they couldn't get any of this going because they were too risk adverse. Teams get too risk adverse playing Collingwood, and it plays into Collingwood's hands.

The one positive about Collingwood winning this year - yes, there really isn't a position, but there is one thing - Collingwood will officially be the hunted like any previous premier and coaches will implement full game plans to beat their system. It will involve taking the game on.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, praha said:

completely agree. we win our first final, we win a flag. i hope we are meaner next time. knock people out. obviously what the AFL endorse

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Agree with most of that, but Collingwood beat us fair and square in the QF. 

They kicked our butts when the heat was on in the first quarter to gain a 20 point qtr time lead, and then kicked the key goals in the third.

We threw away the semi final, but Collingwood were the deserved winners in the Qf.

Completely disagree. If we kick the goals we should have kicked, we win that game. We dominated most of the final 3 quarters. They kicked goals against the run of play. Perfect example - the third quarter when we dominated the first 10 mins, couldn't convert, they get the ball to the other end for the first time (I think) that quarter and they kick a goal.

A team with 32 less inside 50s is never a deserved winner - they're winners by default.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Yes that was my real point (not playing Grundy). It is still a sore point with me and I am blaming the head coach! It could have cost us a Premiership shot. 

… without knowing the facts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Yes that was my real point (not playing Grundy). It is still a sore point with me and I am blaming the head coach! It could have cost us a Premiership shot. 

As I've posted numerous times over the last month or so, how many games did Gawn and Grundy play together where it was dry?

Fact is both should never have played in the same team in wet conditions, so I leave those games out when I properly consider whether the combo worked? On my count (not including the first Lions game given Gawn only lasted 10 minutes), it was 10 games - 4-5 of those games were in the wet.

So we gave it 5-6 games - in the dry - to see if this combo worked. How many times do things click after 5-6 games?

It's mind boggling the more you think about it.

Edited by Great Northern Summer
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, praha said:

Unpopular but well said. Macrae has shown he is an elite coach already and a cut above.  Very astute strategically and has them playing with freedom.  On abc radio today there was a segment on their psychologist Jacqui Louder and the impact she has had.  And she sits on the bench all game every game to talk to the players.  It’s the 1%ers like this that no-one sees, but maybe that’s why they perform when the game is on the line.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

… without knowing the facts.

Ummm well no I don’t know the facts but he is the main man, the big kahuna, the big cheese, the guy who had the ultimate responsibility to make the big and controversial decision to bring in Grundy, work for the Club. He failed to make it work for whatever reason and I believe it cost us dearly in a final series where games were decided by a straight kick. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

What’s the general opinion about the quality of the game itself? I found it lacking some big moments, and the 3rd quarter was very dull. News media talking about it being one of the greats, but I certainly don’t feel that way. It was close, but a touch devoid of some magic? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1