• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Exit interviews 2023

buck_nekkid

On 9/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

The only one of real note is probably Jordon. Will we try to keep him?

we'd have to, and potentially dunstan stays on if he doesn't?

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 1:33 PM, ElDiablo14 said:

On the topic of exit interviews, who do we think are tradeable players?

Salem, JJ, any other?

I don't always agree with you @ElDiablo14, but you might be spot on here. We might have to think seriously about giving something substantial up in order that we get something substantial in. I recon there are six blokes that are untouchable - the rest, for the right price, are dispensable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

I don't always agree with you @ElDiablo14, but you might be spot on here. We might have to think seriously about giving something substantial up in order that we get something substantial in. I recon there are six blokes that are untouchable - the rest, for the right price, are dispensable.

Just six? That's bit of a brutal take mate.

I think besides the obvious ones (Trac, Oliver, Gawn, Viney, May) some of our young guns are also important not only for the now but for the next generation (see JVR, McVee, Petty, Rivers).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I think besides the obvious ones (Trac, Oliver, Gawn, Viney, May) some of our young guns are also important not only for the now but for the next generation (see JVR, McVee, Petty, Rivers).

Let's say harry McKay is gettable - would you include McVee and Rivers in a trade?

• Facepalm 3
  • Angry 2

7 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

No love for Lever, Brayshaw?

• Like 1

If Toby Greene was on the table, I’d happily trade one of any of the above listed players.

If Oscar Allen was on the table, likewise.

If Tom Green was on the table, same.

If Nick Larkey was on the table, sign me up.

Other than that, yeh, they are untouchable. 

Edited by BW511
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

And if it's kicked to a 1v1 where Kozzy is the small on a tall interceptor, he should just let them intercept it in the air, uncontested?

Righto.

I think he was really implying pack marking attempts which seems to be Kossi 's speciality. 

And I mean attempts; I wonder if he holds them at training ,like the forwards slot goal after goal in the pre game warm up

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 9/17/2023 at 1:36 PM, BDA said:

just tell them all to practice their goal kicking

Its not practice ..they slot them in the pre game.

It's poise under the pressure of the game.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:38 AM, buck_nekkid said:

If you were doing the exit interviews, what would be a key message that you would want delivered to a particular player? Where would you want them to focus in the off season to improve?

Verall: More Fitness and marking, getting to contests to be improved

Jefferson: More muscle mass and hit more contests.

Howes:  More fitness and strength to challenge for a wing spot in 24

(etc)

Then there are ones like “enjoy your retirement” to BBB, TMAc, Hibbo, Melk, etc, and ‘enjoy the Harbour views, Grundy”

What messages would you give?

I would apologise to Hibbo  ..and possibly Grundy..except he's had  chilled year running back to form and fitness at a lower level on a good wage

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, poita said:

That's all well and good, but why was Salem playing every week? It's not as though there was no one available to fill his role.

As for suggestions he can play midfield, that's not going to happen. He has lost any speed he once had, and has spent two years avoiding heavy contact.

Salem is in our top ten listed players that's why.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

On 9/18/2023 at 12:32 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Petracca - absolutely star once again and should win the B&F. ️Great ballwinner and midfield bull who was pushed forward to create or kick goals. Tackling still an issue and his goalkicking confidence (28.36) needs a boost with set shots problem continuing 

Viney - had a great year and should be runner up in B&F.  ️Midfield bull.  Tackling a highlight. Contested ballwinner. Disposal still 50/50 and needs to work again on that  

Gawn - The best ruckman in the league. Huge heart. Injured early and then shared rucking.  Once he was no1 he was huge. An outstanding leader

Oliver - was a star again until injury and that 7 weeks out curtailed his year. Got back for the late year and finals to show his star power ️. He’s still probably the best Contested ball winner in the comp but his poor delivery and non effective handball let him down  

Brayshaw - strong year and regained more midfield time.  ️Definitely a huge loss in the finals. 
Hope he can continue but fully understand if he decides that is retirement for his future and his family

May - Excellent year. He’s still going strong.  

But Boring kick in to 50 metres out in left is so predictable in kick outs and opposition knows it every time.  Need to get better strategy. 

Rivers - again developed into a running defender and able to both use pace and run plus defend strongly.  ️Love his energy. Still a defender imv but can play attacking springboard role

Lever - another good year. He’s the backline captain. Played better as 3rd tall and spoiling/controlling areas  

McVee - impressed all year with his poise and skill. Still learning and developing but was a first year revelation

Hibberd - clearly his body let him down but whenever he played, he gave his all and destroyed many small forwards  ️ Retired with his head held high 👏👏✈️

Fritsch - he was very good in patches (38 goals) and then inconsistent with goalkicking. Overall needed more impact and desire for the footy. Good but we think he’s got more to give imv

Petty - had a great year either as KFB or KFF.️ Injuries again were disappointing and his season ending injury hurt our premiership chances 

van Rooyen - still raw but a great first year performance. ️ Love his marking and goalkicking.  Big future ahead and love to see Dees support him with more experienced forward coaches

Pickett - his good is very good but his poor days were disappointing. Love his excitement and energy if directed at the footy . ️Still a match winner with his pace and goal scoring (37.30) but his output dropped in too many games and discipline a problem

Bowey - skills very good and needs to use through corridor more; lost some 1-1s but overall had a good year. Still only 21  

Langdon - new look but didn’t regularly give us his usual output. Now sits in the boundary line and kicks down the line to a negative contest.  Ask him to step 15 metes inboard to firstly use the corridor and give himself better room to run. Still very import team member.

Hunter - brought in and given 100% wing role to compliment Lingers. Had good year overall but often too wide and too slow to move the footy. Needs to improve to keep the role.  

Neal-Bullen -  another consistent, but not outstanding year ️ More a defensive half forward who doesn’t hit the scoreboard (19 goals, 25 games) but he’s running and tackling is an asset. He’s a midfielder playing half fwd really  

Sparrow - was again on the edge of being very good. ️Consistent performance throughout the year as a fringe midfielder and occasionally half forward.  Big preseason ahead and can be better  

Melksham - out of the team but took his chances to be a key goalkicker️Cruel injury kept him out of finals. One more year imv 

J Smith - pushed himself into the team late in the year and showed he is versatile as a back and a forward. Not quite either but definitely very handy player

Spargo - with a lack of goals and ball winning eventually saw him dropped. (11 goals in 14 games) Got back for semi and showed more bounce but overall probably went backwards

Chandler - started well and was a reliable goalkicker. After cemented his place, he failed with inconsistency and lack of goals. Back on the margins now and not in best 22  

Salem - a disappointing year and seemed not to be 100% fit.  Lost his skill and reverted to high helicopter kicks.  Overall an average season

Laurie - given late chances and perhaps lucky he’s got contract for 2024. Midfielder or small forward? Not sure. Could help us with ball use if he gets chance  🙏🏽

Woewodin - got 4 games and definitely liked his run and decision making. Strangely omitted when I thought extra games were helping his development. Can push for more games in 2024 🙏🏽

D Turner - another year that showed promise but injury and selectors befuddled behavior cost him.  Was given games then immediately dropped.  Determination and marking power gives him a future imv. Hope MFC gives him games in 2024 🙏🏽

Schache -  low cost pickup who showed why didn’t make it at the Dogs.  Low intensity.  Low physical pressure or presence.  Got another year due to lack of our KPF options. Got limited opportunities but was poor overall  💩

Tomlinson - not a friend of the selectors, he got chances and played good games but was dropped or overlooked far too many times.  🤔Strong defender who did his job and had his moments. May look for more favourable opportunities elsewhere and who could blame him 🚀

Grundy - covered Gawn in rounds 2-6 then shared duties.  Once it was decided to go with Gawn 100%, Grundy was dropped and selectiors marked his card. Disappointing outcome but foreseen. Trade most likely  🚀

Harmes - we’ve enjoyed his passion but silly decisions and poor tackling and poor kicking and stupid fend off attempts wore down patience and he spent too much time at Casey.  Contracted but now unlikely to get back  🚀

Jordon - not given many opportunities but ultimately wasted chances when he got game time. As a UFA, offers might entice him to go. Imv he’s probably gone🚀

McDonald - Looked finished and then got injured and then returned to show he’s got nothing left. Surely must retire ✈️but he’s stubborn and contracted so might keep going   

Brown - looked good early with 8 goals in first two rounds but unfortunately his knee injury ruined his year.  Only played 4 more games and was clearly struggling. Huge loss really given we needed his accuracy and marking.   If knee injury is chronic, I think retirement is calling  ✈️

Others: 

Dunstan - starred in VFL again but uses wrong aftershave and couldn’t impress selectors. Injury killed his year twice. Unfortunately he’s likely to be delisted

Verrell - athletic young ruck and when given the chances, showed good ability and marking  Like to see him in another 12 months as next year he develops at Casey 🙏🏽

Blake Howes - another injury hit year which was really disappointing   Was hoping we might see him debut but will need to get himself fit and firing over the summer 🙏🏽

Jed Adams slow development in Casey. Has the height and smarts to give hope of future KPB 🙏🏽

Sestan - smart goalkicking youngster   Will benefit from a full preseason and has some talent   Not quite tall enough or quick enough perhaps so he’s still a punt 🙏🏽

Jefferson - will be told to get into the gym and take the protein shakes. Good signs especially with his marking ability but needs more determination.  🙏🏽

ANW - a good year at Casey and perhaps unlikely not to debut. Could be in contention again for games in 2024.  Maybe a debut in round 1 with Kozzzy missing.  Like his tackling and goalkicking😀.  🙏🏽

KFW - tall skinny raw ruck; limited opportunities at Casey and looked lost in some games; another year to see if he’s got anything to offer longer term 🙏🏽

Deakyn Smith - good in patches and like his delivery but undecided on whether he’s to stay on 🤯🤔🤯

Kye Turner - Injury hit year; undecided on whether he’s to stay on 🤯🤔🤯

Leaving Dees so far are Hibbo, D.Smith. Dunstan. Jordon. 

On 9/18/2023 at 7:41 AM, Dwight Schrute said:

Salem won't be traded, but in my view he should be moved into the midfield. we have all the grunt in the world but lack some class in there. people keep complaining about the bombing it long, but that's all Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Sparrow, Langdon. none of these guys are above average field kicks. 

If you look at the Pies, Pendles, Sidebottom, both Daicos boys, Crisp. they're all significantly better kicks than any of our mids. 

He is not healthy enough to play midfield at the moment Had a very ordinary year and perhaps should have been rested more

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 7:59 PM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Let's say harry McKay is gettable - would you include McVee and Rivers in a trade?

I don't rate McKay as highly as others do so not for him, but i'd trade either if it meant we got in Oscar Allen who's a legitimate star and future captain

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I don't rate McKay as highly as others do so not for him, but i'd trade either if it meant we got in Oscar Allen who's a legitimate star and future captain

Ooof! Even Rivers? 

• Like 1

Just now, Engorged Onion said:

Ooof! Even Rivers? 

For Oscar Allen? absolutely. wouldn't even need to think about it. 

He's a good young player, but Allen totally transforms out list overnight 

On 9/18/2023 at 9:29 AM, 3183 Dee said:

That’s a really interesting point - I hadn’t thought of it that way. Maybe explains why TMac was named, even though it was obvious in the Pies game, that he was done.

I heard, from a reliable source, that Grundy was far from a professional presence around the club after being axed earlier in the year. Late to training at times, missed strength sessions etc. Wasn’t a complete dummy spit but far from showing the coach he was desperate to be a team player.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

27 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I heard, from a reliable source, that Grundy was far from a professional presence around the club after being axed earlier in the year. Late to training at times, missed strength sessions etc. Wasn’t a complete dummy spit but far from showing the coach he was desperate to be a team player.

Clearly something was going on behind the scenes, for Goody to prefer Schache.

Last year we knew LJ was going, but we still played him.

• Thinking 1

54 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Grundy's had a bad run. An AA ruckman dropped by 2 clubs in consecutive years. i can understand why he has the [censored].

that said, a Gawn injury and he was straight back into a finals team so its a lack of professional not to maintain standards and be ready in case. 

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Clearly something was going on behind the scenes, for Goody to prefer Schache.

Last year we knew LJ was going, but we still played him.

In hindsight a completely wasted list space which no doubt hindered our chances, particularly in the back half and finals where he played mostly bruise free footy. 

Such a pitty we couldn't convince him to stay.  Reckon we make at least one more prelim with him at his best the last two seasons and who knows from there.

Silly decision on his part to go back so quickly when more silverware was on offer.