• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cool light of day

pitmaster

I think we actually gave it a good shake given the circumstances. Healthy teams win finals and premierships. In the lead up to the finals we lost Petty and Melksham who was in career best forward form.

The we lost Brayshaw in the opening minutes of the game against Collingwood which forced Petracca to play more mid further knackering our forward line.

Still we had the better of the magpies for the last 3 quarters.

JVR lost it and copped a week suspension further knackering our chances against Carlton where we kicked ourselves out of a win.

We have to hope Petty comes back ok and is not injury prone.

We need to go full on to get GCs 1st rounder this year and pick elite kids who will be playing top footy in 2 or 3 seasons. Pick up a free agent at season 2024 end and draft Kalani White in 2025. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

He gets it..  Nailed it.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I do hope he also had some words to the leadership group, they were not goog enough on Friday.

And I do hope he had some stern words to himself for such a poor performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Gee the roar has posted some good articles of late. This one nails it again.

Bulldogs V2

Goodwin is looking very Beveridge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Good article. 😎👍

The pressure on the Melbourne Football Club next season in 2024 will be intense.

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Agree with a lot of what he says. Comes off like a bit of a prat though (is our playing group smug any more or less than any other team?) But hey, it’s The Roar. Hobby journalists. 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, WalkingCivilWar said:

Who cares what Goody says in his pressers, or how he says it. He’s not obliged to tell anyone anything, our supporters included. It’s what’s said behind closed doors that matters, and we aren’t privy to that. On that subject though, I’ve been told by a reliable source that Goody unleashed a scathing verbal attack on the whole team straight after Friday’s match. He didn’t hold back, it was brutal, he ripped right through them, even singling players out, Kozzie being one such player. And it seems the players were told there’d be no Mad Monday for them, and that Goody is gonna get them “out on the track harder and earlier” this off-season. 

Not surprising. Before the game Goodwin looked mentally exhausted and during the week he slurred his words during the press conference and looked genuinely cooked. I imagine the result just led to him snapping given the way they lost. He's only human. 

Also, seems Mad Monday wasn't cancelled, just delayed. As players on Instagram yesterday posted about it.

On 9/19/2023 at 5:33 PM, Demon Dynasty said:

Absolutely.  That could've been Dunstan for the Norf game.

Team selection and player Thrashing  was appalling all year  Cooked again for finals

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Team selection and player Thrashing  was appalling all year  Cooked again for finals

I reckon he (and the FD...it's a big experienced team we're talking about here) managed the first half ok but then botched the 2nd with Clarry out for so long.

That put a stack of pressure on Tracc & Viney to lift their output to cover off.  Plus a bit of JJ and Harmes coming in to assist.

But for mine the Harmes option (on a couple of occasions) was the wrong one.

Goody was probably deceived somewhat by some ok to good performances at VFL level and probably still had recent strong flashbacks of his 21/22 efforts and figuring he may get back to somewhere near that.  Fair enough.

Unfortunately for Goody and all of us, Harmes was nowhere near his 21/22 and after the first recall should never have gotten the next call up.

For mine it was Dunstan in for at least a few matches while Clarry was out.  Even ahead of JJ.  But especially ahead of Harmes.

Why do i say that?  Dunstan like for like was about as close as we had to Viney in terms of extracting and distributing the pill.

The physicality required in this position must be immense week in week out.  At that point Dunstan was the most likely bull to switch in for a week or two.  Harmes not a regular extractor anyway and wouldn't have provided the relief required to Viney regardless of form imho.

Even a couple of Dunstan assists,  spread out spasmodically over about 6 to 8 weeks, may have been better.  Especially as we knew Clarry was a long term fix.

Imv Viney was the bull, the extractor....the ball getter we needed to protect as much as possible in order to keep him as fresh as possible coming in to finals.

We live and die by his performances much of the time, just as the Doggies do with Libba's form/abscence.

The game against Hawks, Libba missed the second half from concussion.  They lose by 3 points.  The week after they lose to the lowly Eagles by 7 points.  Came back the week after and vavoom they beat the cats at the Cattery by 4 goals.

That little window of his abscence sees them miss the finals by two premiership points.  One more win and they're in instead of the Swans.  A coincidence?  I think not.

In the QF against the Pies, Viney was a massive 55% off his H&A Season rating.

Recovered well against the Blues, posting a rating 20% higher than his H&A rating, but by then we were pushing up hill in terms of missing our chance at the weeks rest via the Prelim and going in to our 2nd consecutive final without the likes of JVR and Gus.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

31 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

I reckon he (and the FD...it's a big experienced team we're talking about here) managed the first half ok but then botched the 2nd with Clarry out for so long.

That put a stack of pressure on Tracc & Viney to lift their output to cover off.  Plus a bit of JJ and Harmes coming in to assist.

Goody was probably deceived somewhat by some ok to good performances at VFL level and probably still had recent strong flashbacks of his 21/22 efforts and figuring he may get back to somewhere near that.  Fair enough.

Unfortunately for Goody and all of us, Harmes was nowhere near his 21/22 and after the first recall should never have gotten the next call up.

For mine it was Dunstan in for at least a few matches while Clarry was out.  Even ahead of JJ.  But especially ahead of Harmes.

Why do i say that?  Dunstan like for like was about as close as we had to Viney in terms of extracting and distributing the pill.

The physicality required in this position must be immense week in week out.  At that point Dunstan was the most likely bull to switch in for a week or two.  Harmes not a regular extractor anyway and wouldn't have provided the relief required to Viney regardless of form imho.

Even a couple of Dunstan assists,  spread out spasmodically over about 6 to 8 weeks, may have been better.  Especially as we knew Clarry was a long term fix.

Imv Viney was the bull, the extractor....the ball getter we needed to protect as much as possible in order to keep him as fresh as possible coming in to finals.

We live and die by his performances much of the time, just as the Doggies do with Libba's form/abscence.

The game against Hawks, Libba missed the second half from concussion.  They lose by 3 points.  The week after they lose to the lowly Eagles by 7 points.  Came back the week after and vavoom they beat the cats at the Cattery by 4 goals.

That little window of his abscence sees them miss the finals by two premiership points.  One more win and they're in instead of the Swans.  A coincidence?  I think not.

Recovered well against the Blues, posting a rating 20% higher than his H&A rating, but by then we were pushing up hill in terms of missing our chance at the weeks rest via the Prelim and going in to our 2nd consecutive final without the likes of JVR and Gus.

The fact that Dunstan didn't get one game in that period baffles me. People were talking all year about how the recruitment of Grundy at least helped to keep Max fresh all year yet we totally rode Viney into the ground. What would we have done if he got injured god forbid?

The smaller details count and they add up to the bigger picture. If I really wanted to conspiracy theory it I’d say that the cumulative workload he had over that period of time resulted in the fatigue that muffed his last kick in 2023, obviously I’m not going to reach that far but he got battered around this year. 

42 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

very good points made well

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

Does anyone know if we're conducting a review?

yes it will be run by Goodwin and Max no need for any other input Great year, many many  learnings move on to 2024

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

Run by Goodwin?  One thing we need to review is the coaching.  You can't review yourself.  I would of thought Pert would run it.

I think Kent is taking the Mickey !!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, greenwaves said:

It mght be obvious to you, but I didn't know they did them every year 

Every position is reviewed, from top to bottom along with players, game plan, strategies, list structure, salary cap. You name it. There probably isnt an organisation in the country that has more scrutiny than an AFL club. 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:26 PM, Superunknown said:

Interesting and confronting to read that article. I had forgotten that Grundy was traded in with the idea that Max plays forward predominantly & Grundy takes up the major portion of the ruck duties. We know that didn’t work Grundy & Max weren’t kicking goals and they were OK in the ruck, but the output of 2 rucks at best equaled just one. OK it’s not working but in the second half of the season we have Goodwin announcing that Grundy is headed back to the VFL to learn forward craft! And that was about it for Grundy.

If I read between the lines I find it highly likely our likeable “Alpha Male” Max has cracked it big time and made it clear to the coaches he has to be numero uno in the ruck. I suspect from there Grundy has fallen out with the Coaching staff and this has led to his non selection no matter who is injured and then the unforgivable Schache sub fiasco. And to be harsh although Max played his heart out in the finals he also cost us with his very selfish play, missed goals, kicking when he should be handballing to a midfielder and that truly bizarre spoil on our own goal line. Not all his fault by any means but he is the spiritual, on field leader. And does that explain some of the similar, rushed, selfish play, (ignoring handball options, leads, players in a better position)  in our forward half by so many others? 

An absolute train wreck at season end. I didn’t think we could win it once we lost Petty, then Melksham and then Brayshaw but then I watched us squander 2 very winnable finals.

Ultimately the consequences of failure sit with the Coach and his staff. 

Would love to know the full explanation for our failures but we will never get the full story. But let’s hope we can learn from them.  

Edited by Earl Hood
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Interesting and confronting to read that article. I had forgotten that Grundy was traded in with the idea that Max plays forward predominantly & Grundy takes up the major portion of the ruck duties. We know that didn’t work Grundy & Max weren’t kicking goals and they were OK in the ruck, but the output of 2 rucks at best equaled just one. OK it’s not working but in the second half of the season we have Goodwin announcing that Grundy is headed back to the VFL to learn forward craft! And that was about it for Grundy.

If I read between the lines I find it highly likely our likeable “Alpha Male” Max has cracked it big time and made it clear to the coaches he has to be numero uno in the ruck. I suspect from there Grundy has fallen out with the Coaching staff and this has led to his non selection no matter who is injured and then the unforgivable Schache sub fiasco. And to be harsh although Max played his heart out in the finals he also cost us with his very selfish play, missed goals, kicking when he should be handballing to a midfielder and that truly bizarre spoil on our own goal line. Not all his fault by any means but he is the spiritual, on field leader. And does that explain some of the similar, rushed, selfish play, (ignoring handball options, leads, players in a better position)  in our forward half by so many others? 

An absolute train wreck at season end. I didn’t think we could win it once we lost Petty, then Melksham and then Brayshaw but then I watched us squander 2 very winnable finals.

Would love to know the full explanation for our failures but we will never get the full story. But let’s hope we learn from them.  

Totally agree with your theory on the Grundy fall out. That's what I suspect also.

We applaud Max for the good things he does. Unfortunately it goes both ways and he was responsible for a numbers of poor efforts that cost us the game against Carlton - the two missed shots at goal, and the touch on the line. We need our best players, particularly our leaders, to be better.