Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Maynard must get at least four weeks

leave it to deever

1 hour ago, bandicoot said:

So you mean to tell me it’s acceptable to jump at full pace at a defenceless kicker, knock them out and say it’s just a ‘football act’? 
laughable 

Exactly.

Attempting to smother is football act.

Since when is it a football act to turn a smother into a head high bump?

If that was 'a football act'. then logic says there would be many such incidents and examples. Football acts happen all the time. 

When was the last time a player was seriously injured in a smother attempt, let alone being knocked out cold with a head shot.

And besides a bump is a football act, one that happens hundreds of times every round. It is still reportable conduct if you make a mistake and hit an opponent in the head with your shoulder when you have other options.

• Like 17
  • Clap 4

43 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

This kozzie vision is not helpful and you should stop sharing it. He's running at a 45 degree angle towards WHE and so of course misses him on the way down...it's entirely different to the angle Maynard was approaching from 

I wasn’t sharing it, I was quoting a poster, but I don’t understand your point. I went back and watched it after your reply, and Kozzie is approaching on his exact line? That is to say, he had much the same opportunity to inflict damage on Hoskin-Elliot as Maynard did on Brayshaw.

Either way, it’s far more helpful than those comparisons posted by journalists and past players attempting to downplay the significance of Maynard’s hit.

Edited by wisedog
  • Like 4

What I hate most from the commentators and media was them all saying that Maynard couldn’t delete himself when in the air. It’s pretty simple - don’t jump. The moment you jump you lose all ability to manoeuvre and that is why his action was careless.

Tackling, bumping, spoiling are all footy actions. But the moment you jump and forgo any control of the situation or outcome, you’re being careless.

Careless is after all defined as: “not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors”.

Lastly, about duty of care… watch the replay, Brayshaw had his head down to kick and the ball had started dropping before Maynard jumped…

3F2FC4A6-F6C8-42F6-9474-6EE4B3C2DB49.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, binman said:

For for me its clear, Maynard had an option other than hitting him shoulder to head. He could have continued chest on, but he instead chose to turn his body and hit him flush in the head, at great velocity, with his shoulder.

That decision is on him.

Positive thoughts and much love Gus. 

Sorry Binman but in not sure you can effectively ask players not to protect themselves in unavoidable contact or someone falling to the ground not to tuck their shoulders.

The turning of the body by Maynard might have been a biomechanical process that just happened naturally because he jumped off a certain foot. He didnt turn that much just a little. The contact and body turn may have been unavoidable. Brayshaw also came at Maynard from an angle after kicking the ball with his right foot (again a biomechanical issue and not his fault). Had he not kicked or kicked with his left he would have probably missed Maynard. There was no decision after the smother attempt, It could be a case of just bad luck for Gus.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 3

12 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

...Had he not kicked or kicked with his left he would have probably missed Maynard. There was no decision after the smother attempt, It could be a case of just bad luck for Gus.

So it's Gus' fault for daring to kick a ball with the wrong foot. FMD. 

Explain why players don't frequently get cleaned up like that in front-on spoil attempts. The answer is: because almost all the time their aim is to smother, not annihilate.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

7 hours ago, loges said:

Light? Was Mcstay even hurt?

I don’t think it did his acting career much good....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Sorry Binman but in not sure you can effectively ask players not to protect themselves in unavoidable contact or someone falling to the ground not to tuck their shoulders.

The turning of the body by Maynard might have been a biomechanical process that just happened naturally because he jumped off a certain foot. He didnt turn that much just a little. The contact and body turn may have been unavoidable. 

Well that will be the Pies argument. And maybe it will be a winning argument. 

I would argue he had other choices to protect himself (and gus) - Kozzie spinning in the air to avoid hitting Hoskin Elliot is once such example. And as i said how would have Maynard be hurt if he hit gus chest on (his chest would have hit Gus's head) with arms spread wide? 

And since when do you instinctively turn your shoulder when falling to the ground to protect yourself from the impact of hitting the ground?

Instinct is you put your hands and arms out to brace a fall and protect yourself from being hurt not turn your body and slam into the ground shoulder first.

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, binman said:

Exactly.

Attempting to smother is football act.

Since when is it a football act to turn a smother into a head high bump?

If that was 'a football act'. then logic says there would be many such incidents and examples. Football acts happen all the time. 

When was the last time a player was seriously injured in a smother attempt, let alone being knocked out cold with a head shot.

And besides a bump is a football act, one that happens hundreds of times every round. It is still reportable conduct if you make a mistake and hit an opponent in the head with your shoulder when you have other options.

The last smother that ended in a career ending injury was Whelan on Brown. That was a pure accident and a legitimate freak accident. 

We see attempted smothers 100 times a week. Never does a player end up knocked out as a result. 
As shown in this thread, Kosi did the same thing against WHE in the same game and yet WHE is still standing. Funny that. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

I didn't know who Laura Kane was an hour ago but all of a sudden i like her.

Seems part of her responsibilities include overseeing mental health and well being.

Bye Bye Maynard

Laura Kane has done more in her *11 days in the job than Brad Scott did in his however many years as her predecessor.

*11 days officially. She’d been  acting in the role for months. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I suspect this finals season has been the tipping point for a lot of people and their relationship with AFL broadcasting. I love going to the footy, but I can’t stand it on the TV.

For me Thursday nights TV was the pinnacle. Angus Brayshaw lay motionless in the middle of the MCG for an off the ball incident that will control the AFL media landscape for the next 2 weeks - but the broadcaster was showing us De Goey limping because he rolled his ankle.

Their pandering isn’t helping anyone, and least of all the game. If Kayo had the option to just watch the game with crowd noise I’m guessing 80% of the audience would watch it.

I rarely listen to the commentary. Adds very little to the experience and normally just gets on my nerves

• Like 2

I can’t believe some poster carrying on saying it was a football act blah blah blah

Brayshaw was in the motion of kicking the ball ‘a real football act’ and that thug ran at him like an missile with no hesitation of the consequences 

Gus with his history of concussion may not play again, we don’t know

The Collingwood fans didn’t care about Gus, they started that moronic chant and started booing Viney for sticking up for his mate

Maynard will probably get off by trial by media which is disgusting in itself but hey Van Rooyen has already got a week.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

22 minutes ago, forever demons said:

I wish big Carl was still playing for us maynard wouldnt be playing for awhile anyway evan grinter or neita would do the job

I hear ya but let’s not fight fire with fire. 

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I suspect this finals season has been the tipping point for a lot of people and their relationship with AFL broadcasting. I love going to the footy, but I can’t stand it on the TV.

For me Thursday nights TV was the pinnacle. Angus Brayshaw lay motionless in the middle of the MCG for an off the ball incident that will control the AFL media landscape for the next 2 weeks - but the broadcaster was showing us De Goey limping because he rolled his ankle.

Their pandering isn’t helping anyone, and least of all the game. If Kayo had the option to just watch the game with crowd noise I’m guessing 80% of the audience would watch it.

I will watch games today...mute when BT comes on. Second worst commentator in the game. His commentary in the pies v melb game was beyond moronic.

Oh, Kellie Underwood my worst. That voice...intolerable.....it must be an act...like Julia Gillard. Melbourne law and spoke like a wharfie...apologies to wharfies.

• Like 2

This frame is even more damning.

Ball has left the foot and the thug has only started his jumping motion. 3m away from Gus.

Had his only intention been smothering that ball,how do you explain him leaping forward?

He may have not planned to concuss Gus, but clearly he wanted to be physical. Just be accountable thug!

Screenshot_20230909-115821.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Billy said:

The Collingwood fans didn’t care about Gus, they started that moronic chant and started booing Viney for sticking up for his mate

Not to mention actively cheering and clapping Maynard every time he went near the ball.

Lauding a dirty thug who’s just knocked a player out cold, a player with a history of concussion issues and who was wearing a helmet as a consequence of such. Classy, classy team. 🤮

• Like 4

I think a suspension is fair (but wouldn't be surprised if JVR spoiling the Gold Coast bloke into oblivion is used as a precedent to let him off) but carrying on like he's the devil is a bit rich. If Brayshaw had KOed Maynard in the same circumstances this board would be full of Zapruder footage style analysis of why it wasn't his fault.

He horribly mistimed something, it had serious consequences but not going to hold a lifetime grudge against him over it.

• Like 2
  • Vomit 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

This is yet another grey area the AFL could have predicted and mitigated by making the rule clear - for example:

'in the scenario a player jumps to smother and contact is unavoidable (for example spinning out of the way is not possible) it is that players duty to take due care to avoid hitting the player with the ball in the head, for example by continuing chest on and arms stretched wide. If they exercise such care and contact is made to the head it will be deemed accidental they will not be reported. However if they choose to turn their body or brace in such a way that increases the likelihood and force of head contact and head contact is made they will be reported' 

For for me its clear, Maynard had an option other than hitting him shoulder to head. He could have continued chest on, but he instead chose to turn his body and hit him flush in the head, at great velocity, with his shoulder.

I am all for ensuring rules are as clear as possible to ensure the players and umpires know where they stand, and I like the spirit of your post. There will always be some grey, however. The Maynard case though is unusual because, while the media has jumped on this being a 'football action', his 'smother attempt' was so far away from what any typical smother attempt looks like. Even if you remove Maynard's actions once in the air in terms of whether he turned the shoulder or not, the very fact that he launched forward into the air at high speed towards a player who had disposed of/was disposing of the ball and would inevitably result in late contact is problematic. If we allow players to do that so long as they make some sort of attempt to avoid shoulder to head contact such as having arms stretched wide as in your example, it would still be quite foreseeable that you could concuss the player who has disposed of the ball by knocking them heavily to the ground and having their head hit the ground hard. Yes, ramming his shoulder into Brayshaw's head was a terrible action. But jumping forward at high speed into an opponent to inevitably cause contact at high force where you are coming down on them is dangerous regardless of what part of your body you hit them with and can result in injury including concussion. I am not sure we really need to make the rule clearer, because if the Tribunal does its job they will find that Maynard's actions were careless and therefore outside the rules.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Supermercado said:

I think a suspension is fair (but wouldn't be surprised if JVR spoiling the Gold Coast bloke into oblivion is used as a precedent to let him off) but carrying on like he's the devil is a bit rich. If Brayshaw had KOed Maynard in the same circumstances this board would be full of Zapruder footage style analysis of why it wasn't his fault.

He horribly mistimed something, it had serious consequences but not going to hold a lifetime grudge against him over it.

Gus doesn’t have a history of thuggish behavior 

If Kosi did that to Maynard the media would want him banned for life 

• Like 3