PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

9 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Finishing 3rd would have been much better in hindsight. A free hit at the Lions at the GABBA while they have all the pressure on them. Then if we had lost, an MCG home final against probably the Giants where we would have had the 19th man

The Carlton GWS Freo and Port losses - many of them replete with bad kicking at goal - start to become somewhat irksome, no?

We need to focus on poise, composure and getting good looks. Also elite decision making and kicking. 

9 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Finishing 3rd would have been much better in hindsight. A free hit at the Lions at the GABBA while they have all the pressure on them. Then if we had lost, an MCG home final against probably the Giants where we would have had the 19th man

I said this prior to the ladder being set and I was ridiculed. We are on the toughest path to the GF now. 

5 minutes ago, praha said:

If we lose Friday we'll be the first team ever to go out in straight sets in consecutive years. Hawthorn went out in straight sets in 2016 and 2018 but missed finals in 2017.

How refreshing! Another record to add to our list that is unlikely to be beaten for…..ever

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BDA said:

Find this very hard to believe. If you can't be bothered to turn up to a final because of low morale then you're not a supporter to begin with.

What?

After reading what the Pies fans were like, and seeing the first 1/4 effort , and what happened to Gus, people are deflated. 

You might not like it or agree with it but it doesn’t mean they’re not real supporters. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, binman said:

I 100% agree.

We wanted to keep bedford and i wish we did.

Leaving aside role. Bedford offers something we sorely lack - pure leg speed, both from standing start and over say 150 metres.

He has serious wheels - faster than nibbler, Koz and Chin

Bedford is the real deal, Melbourne really stuffed that one, Wowoedin must replace Laurie, Grundy in for JVR, who has been given last 6-7 games because form wise he should have been dropped weeks ago. Grundy should never have been dropped, Gawn should play full forward and become a Paul Salmon type player, Gawn could play till he’s 38 if he’s put in as full forward. Charlie Spargo in Kyle Chandler out, should have been dropped weeks ago, Shack in JVR out. Woewodin replace an inept Laurie out, having Laurie as sub prob cost us game.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

We need to up the pressure early - come out like rabid dogs and make them hesitate.

If they get a run on early like the Pies and then we cant convert late it wont be good.

Just cant see why - at this stage with no viable tall forwards we cant just try Tommo - he can take a mark including contested ones and if it doesnt work, just move him down the back to lockdown and let Lever loose. Its a no brainer yet i bet it doesnt happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave1711 said:

Bedford is the real deal, Melbourne really stuffed that one, Wowoedin must replace Laurie, Grundy in for JVR, who has been given last 6-7 games because form wise he should have been dropped weeks ago. Grundy should never have been dropped, Gawn should play full forward and become a Paul Salmon type player, Gawn could play till he’s 38 if he’s put in as full forward. Charlie Spargo in Kyle Chandler out, should have been dropped weeks ago, Shack in JVR out. Woewodin replace an inept Laurie out, having Laurie as sub prob cost us game.

Oh Dave

• Love 1

Just now, Roost it far said:

Oh Dave

Oh what, I know it was a shambles but thought got message across. You’ll have to excuse my mental state, worked nightshift last night, my mind has been totally focused on Thursday game and angry about an inept forward line, angry about putting Laurie in as sub as he will never play 25 games, shouldn’t play another game for us, Grundy in JVR out, Spargo in Chandler out, Schache in TMac out, Woewodin in Laurie out

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, praha said:

If we lose Friday we'll be the first team ever to go out in straight sets in consecutive years. Hawthorn went out in straight sets in 2016 and 2018 but missed finals in 2017.

21 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Thanks for that, really helps my mood

If you want to help your mood, why would you come onto Demonland.

I don’t think you’d find a bigger collection of wrist slashers on any other page

• Haha 9

Just now, Pennant St Dee said:

If you want to help your mood, why would you come onto Demonland.

I don’t think you’d find a bigger collection of wrist slashers on any other page

I just like quirky stats lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

What?

After reading what the Pies fans were like, and seeing the first 1/4 effort , and what happened to Gus, people are deflated. 

You might not like it or agree with it but it doesn’t mean they’re not real supporters. 

If there are threats of violence fair enough, if you would rather not subject the kids to it fair enough.

If your constitution can’t handle feral pies fans being feral then you’re soft as. We need all our supporters there to get behind the team and give them as much support as we can not sitting at home whinging about how feral the ferals are  (and they are the worse supporter base out there, I hate them as much as anyone) 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, praha said:

I said this prior to the ladder being set and I was ridiculed. We are on the toughest path to the GF now. 

100%. People had stars in their eyes imagining a glorious rout of the Pies, but it wasn't to be and we've got a hard row to hoe now as a result. In reality this list should have finished 2nd this year and it would have been a home final vs Brisbane instead.

It's all moot though anyway as we are where we are.

So Carlton with the same winning margin as our losing margin. We played a much better team on a ground that doesn’t advantage one side over the other (unlike Carlton playing the G versus an interstate club). 
Like the Pies, Carlton got lucky that the Swans butchered multiple shots at goal late. 

I think Carlton play very good high quality football. Are they better than Collingwood tho? No they aren’t. They don’t have the experience nor the foot skills or speed of the Pies. 

The only thing that will stop us from winning is us. We need to find a way to score at least 12 goals to win. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Chook said:

100%. People had stars in their eyes imagining a glorious rout of the Pies, but it wasn't to be and we've got a hard row to hoe now as a result. In reality this list should have finished 2nd this year and it would have been a home final vs Brisbane instead.

It's all moot though anyway as we are where we are.

As our the injuries to Petty and Melksham. It’s time to dig in and kick some butt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

So Carlton with the same winning margin as our losing margin. We played a much better team on a ground that doesn’t advantage one side over the other (unlike Carlton playing the G versus an interstate club). 
Like the Pies, Carlton got lucky that the Swans butchered multiple shots at goal late. 

I think Carlton play very good high quality football. Are they better than Collingwood tho? No they aren’t. They don’t have the experience nor the foot skills or speed of the Pies. 

The only thing that will stop us from winning is us. We need to find a way to score at least 12 goals to win. 

Love the optimism Jaded. Finally - where has this Jaded No More been?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave1711 said:

Oh what, I know it was a shambles but thought got message across. You’ll have to excuse my mental state, worked nightshift last night, my mind has been totally focused on Thursday game and angry about an inept forward line, angry about putting Laurie in as sub as he will never play 25 games, shouldn’t play another game for us, Grundy in JVR out, Spargo in Chandler out, Schache in TMac out, Woewodin in Laurie out

Schache is a soft version of Weid 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chook said:

Love the optimism Jaded. Finally - where has this Jaded No More been?

Listen when you lose to Collingwood it takes 48 hours to recover 

I am still very worried about our forwardline. Roo out and no Gus (so Trac has to play more midfield) and it makes us even less potent. 
I am not sure where we get our goals from. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

The Carlton GWS Freo and Port losses - many of them replete with bad kicking at goal - start to become somewhat irksome, no?

We need to focus on poise, composure and getting good looks. Also elite decision making and kicking. 

Can there be a worse loss that the ones to essendrug? 

26 minutes ago, BDA said:

If there are threats of violence fair enough, if you would rather not subject the kids to it fair enough.

If your constitution can’t handle feral pies fans being feral then you’re soft as. We need all our supporters there to get behind the team and give them as much support as we can not sitting at home whinging about how feral the ferals are  (and they are the worse supporter base out there, I hate them as much as anyone) 

glad we cleared that up, and I note the point has additional specificity which wasn’t the original point. 

Some people don’t wish to be around the sort of nonsense we read about. That doesn’t make them soft. 

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

You do realise 2 were taken directly out of the ruck and another was a handball receive from centre clearance.

Max is not a forward he’s still the best ruck in the comp and you don’t stray from that

Score sheet from the night has Gawn 5 goals. It was a remarkable performance from a 2.08 m ruckman. 

One goal was due to a handball receive from the centre bounce. 

One goal after Max marked within the 50 metre arc played on and kicked it around the corner from CHF.

One goal when Max received a free kick from about 20 metres in front of goal.

One goal from deep in the forward pocket where Max took the ball from a boundary throw in.

One goal from a mark close to goal.

It was the best performance l can recall from a ruckman in the forward line. 

Amongst a decreasing number of options up forward l’d expect this scenario to be considered by the FD.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 2