• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2023 Draft and Trade Targets Thread

Whispering_Jack

52 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Classy forward mid with some medium size is something we could really do with. Tracc’s our only forward/mid, there’s no great option to change him with.

Can’t really see us paying a fortune to get him when he’s contracted though. 

I don't think we'd interested. Even if the price was right. But who knows. I don't see a lot of class with him, certainly not enough to beeal into our side, but he is young.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Salem, D.Turner, Rivers

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, Petty, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Bowey, Sparrow, J.Smith, Chandler

SUB: Laurie

Casey

B: D.Smith, Adams, Draft pick

HB: Howes, Draft pick, Draft pick

C: Woewodin, Laurie, Draft pick

HF: Moniz-Wakefield, McDonald, Sestan

F: Jefferson, Schache, Spargo

FOLL: Verrall, Draft pick, Draft pick

IC: Farris-White, Melksham, Draft pick, Draft pick 

I wonder if we can rookie Melksham hopefully he'll have a Tomlinson like recovery and play half way through the year.

Harmes will be looking for a new club as will Grundy, Hiberd will retire. Tomlinson will be looking for a new club as will Jordon. Dunstan will be delisted as will K.Turner and Brown will retire.

Will probably lose a few midfielders so I think we should draft for midfielders and trade for talls, Lycett, Chol and Georgiades come to mind.

There would be interest in Grundy (PA), Harmes&/Jordon  (Ess),Tomlinson??? Grundy and Tomlinson will get us trade picks, Jordon gets us AFL compo maybe in the 45-60 range

Dunstan gets delisted harsh, but not dissimilar to what the Dogs did to What's his name.

D.Turner gets upgraded to senior list so a rookie vacancy is opened up maybe offer to Melks/Hibberd/young draftee

Also rookie D.Smith gets delisted because he's been on the list for 3 years (otherwise he must be upgraded and he hasn't done a McVee).

Brown retires and is paid out So potentially we have 4 spots less D.Turner makes 3. I think we put all our current picks (no including trade windfall) to land Reid or 2 picks in top 10 plus Doggie Brown's son Kynan either as a senior pick or a rookie if there's no interest from rival clubs.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I definitely think we should try and get either Josh Sinn or Miles Bergman (both of them are Victorian lads) from Port Adelaide.

Either of them would be a fantastic replacement for Michael Hibberd who is probably in the twilight of his career.

no way bergman will be going anywhere - recently signed a new deal with the pear

very good player

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Heard a wild trade rumour, Lynch to request a trade to Melbourne. From SEN on Thursday.

Would we really entertain that?

How old is Lynch? Is it even possible?

Would suit us perfectly I would have thought pending he passes a fitness test. Fills in that missing established key forward role that we have been searching for this year in T-Mac, BB and Petty.

Should play high level footy until 33 paired with JvR which will give Jefferson plenty of time to develop and in theory be ready to take over best 22 responsibilities when he's hitting 22/23yrs.

Does Richmond actually want to get rid of him though?

And I'm fairly certain his contract was back ended so could be coming with a $1mil + price tag.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Heard a wild trade rumour, Lynch to request a trade to Melbourne. From SEN on Thursday.

Huge upgrade on McDonald and Brown.

I would.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Caligula's cohort said:

Lynch is on $900k+ at the Tiges... no way we go near him on that amount for a 30+ year old. 

He's exactly what we need however.  We're in the window and I'm all for getting the best available and right now, I don't think there is any decent KPFs out there who are on the market.

And they need access to picks for a mini rebuild.

I'd have a look if the Tiges were happy to cover some of his contract.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Tom Lynch will play all next year at 31yo. If his foot is OK he should be able to play at least 2 more years. He's a very good player.

Lynch has 2 years to run on his contract at Richmond, he's not going to play in their next flag. Their first pick last year was 49 and they have 25, 44, 62, 80 this year.  They may be looking to improve their draft hand and Lynch would be valuable collateral along with Dusty.

I'd definitely be interested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deeko2 said:

He's exactly what we need however.  We're in the window and I'm all for getting the best available and right now, I don't think there is any decent KPFs out there who are on the market.

And they need access to picks for a mini rebuild.

I'd have a look ONLY if the Tiges were happy to cover A LOT of his contract.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, old55 said:

Tom Lynch will play all next year at 31yo. If his foot is OK he should be able to play at least 2 more years. He's a very good player.

Lynch has 2 years to run on his contract at Richmond, he's not going to play in their next flag. Their first pick last year was 49 and they have 25, 44, 62, 80 this year.  They may be looking to improve their draft hand and Lynch would be valuable collateral along with Dusty.

I'd definitely be interested.

Would they be interested in a Collingwood/Grundy type deal and pay some of the salary.

Probably more interested in picks but can't see us wanting to give more than what we get for Grundy.

2nd rounder?

Not sure how it gets done but would be a good get if fit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rjay said:

Would they be interested in a Collingwood/Grundy type deal and pay some of the salary.

Probably more interested in picks but can't see us wanting to give more than what we get for Grundy.

2nd rounder?

Not sure how it gets done but would be a good get if fit.

I reckon we'll have the cap space to pay it if necessary. Few guys will leave this year or go on lower money, and maybe Lynch takes a haircut as well...?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Any link to a source on this one ElDiablo?

If it was true - I’d be all for it. We’d have the cap space to pay for his contract for two more years (after the inevitable departing of a few players this year) and the key forward market has been bare for a few years now, so you’ve got to jump when one is available 

My only concern would be how much of our draft hand we would have to give up - as good as Lynch would be for us while we try to capitalise on our list over the next few years, I wouldn’t want to be giving up much if it meant we were not bringing in elite younger talent either through the draft of potentially FA 

If we were talking about an Aaron Naughton or Oscar Allan type it’s a different story as they’d have 10 years of footy ahead of them, but Lynch would likely have 3-4 at most 

Anyway, all hypothetical - will be very curious if there is any truth to it though! 

Edited by demoncat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

That puts him on the Full Forward Richmond to Melbourne production line.  Mark Jackson and then Tom Lynch!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Any link to a source on this one ElDiablo?

If it was true - I’d be all for it. We’d have the cap space to pay for his contract for two more years (after the inevitable departing of a few players this year) and the key forward market has been bare for a few years now, so you’ve got to jump when one is available 

My only concern would be how much of our draft hand we would have to give up - as good as Lynch would be for us while we try to capitalise on our list over the next few years, I wouldn’t want to be giving up much if it meant we were not bringing in elite younger talent either through the draft of potentially FA 

If we were talking about an Aaron Naughton or Oscar Allan type it’s a different story as they’d have 10 years of footy ahead of them, but Lynch would likely have 3-4 at most 

Anyway, all hypothetical - will be very curious is there is any truth to it though! 

SEN morning show, Gerard Whateley.

He did say it was far fetched but still he dropped the bomb last Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I reckon we'll have the cap space to pay it if necessary. Few guys will leave this year or go on lower money, and maybe Lynch takes a haircut as well...?

Many of the guys who might be leaving are either contracted requiring pay outs or paying a good chunk or salary or injured requiring injury match payments. Probably marginal savings a lot of which is taken up by young players getting pay rises.

The big one is Grundy’s contract, which was Jackson’s contract, which could/should become a key forwards contract. 

Richmond might follow the Hawks model (especially if they appoint Chris Newman which I believe they will) and see the success of moving Mitchell and O’Meara. 

The difference is they don’t have key forwards to come in the way the Hawks had mids in Newcombe, Worpel and Day. 

It might take a first rounder to get them to do it, which is a lot for a 31 year old. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 3