Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 24 vs Sydney

Demonland

With Tmac, it's fair to say they want a senior body next JVR.

Can't be expecting a 20 old CHF to take the brunt of our forward line come September. 

If he's taking the best defender then it does release JVR to some degree.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Given the ins, I'd like Turner to get a go for Tomlinson, but I can't see a way that happens. So TMac in, Laurie to sub, if no TMac, then Turner to CHB and Fritta and Smith to rotate between Laurie's high half forward position and playing deeper. 

I think this is what I'll go with.

McVee May Bowey

Salem Smith Lever

Langdon Oliver Hunter

Petracca TMac Fritta

Kozzy JVR ANB

Gawn Viney Gus

Rivers Sparrow Chandler Melksham

Laurie

Tend to agree re Tomlinson simply because I don't see him playing against the Pies. If and when we play Brisbane... maybe

Interesting that you have slotted in Smith in place of Turner. You are probably right but they may want to try Turner out pre finals

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I find the selections fascinating. So many questions:

• Can we play with JVR as the only true tall forward (with mediums of Fritsch, Smith and Melk)?
  • What version of TMac do we have?  At his best he has been an incredible forward but if he doesn't have speed / agility then he could be a liability.
  • Is Turner a possibility (I assume in lieu of Tommo)?  I like Tommo but do fear his speed / agility and whether he has the flexibility to cover different types of forwards.  But why now?

My hunch is they like to have Smith as a sub - he can impact at either end and gives us flexibility.

I think they also like having a few players that can go forward and back (maybe TMac will be in)

Laurie wasn't terrible last week but I don't think he has the confidence at the level (yet) to want him in the team that is likely to play finals.  Similar for Woey though he didn't do much wrong at senior level.

So I'm guessing:

Bench of: TMac, Fritsch, Sparrow and Turner

Sub: Fritsch

VFL: Tomlinson, Woey, Laurie

Main reason is they want to see if TMac and Turner can do it.  They could even sub Turner halfway, send Tmac back and bring Smith forward.  I think they are concerned about the mix if Tomlinson is in the team and doesn't have a suitable matchup.  Who is the third defender - is it Smith (May doesn't like him back there?), Is it Tmac (who's just come back from injury), or Turner (who's been consistent at VFL but not got many opportunities at senior level).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Tend to agree re Tomlinson simply because I don't see him playing against the Pies. If and when we play Brisbane... maybe

Interesting that you have slotted in Smith in place of Turner. You are probably right but they may want to try Turner out pre finals

They may well go with Turner at CHB and Smith to sub.

• Like 2

Very interesting selections in this team for Sydney.

The 22 are pretty much what is to be expected but the 8 man IC that needs to be trimmed to 4 and a sub provide a lot of options that we can only guess at. The same goes for Sydney. They will be looking at what is the possible biggest threat.

My IC would include Tomlinson as I think that the defence looks so much more settled and secure with either Tomlinson or Petty playing back there beside May and Lever. I would also have Fristch and TMac there as we need to see how they are with fitness. As long as they will qualify to play at Casey the following weekend if they need to run. 4th on the bench would be a choice between Sparrow, Woewodin and Laurie with Smith as sub. 

Yeah but..... wadda I know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I don’t think you understood my point. 

I’m all for giving Tmac and Fritta a run this week. Even if underdone it helps with cohesion in a game we don’t need to win. 

My bad Jaded.

Do you think Tmac will get a run?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

So I'm guessing:

Bench of: TMac, Fritsch, Sparrow and Turner

Sub: Fritsch

VFL: Tomlinson, Woey, Laurie

I know we've missed him and it's good to know the Club has been busy cloning him while in rehab.

Edited by dworship
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

George on the Outer absolutely spot on with his ins on the podcast (Catching up now) -  Although I don't think we'll "beat Sydney regardless" because they're on a pretty big winning streak and we would actually have play at our best to get over the line, AND it could be a bruising affair like last years QF. If 2nd is on the line then we'll go for it.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, dworship said:

I know we've missed him and it's good to know the Club has been busy cloning him while in rehab.

His young brother Darcy kicked 20 at Coldstream didn't he? Could be a useful sub if TMAC has a quiet one :laugh:

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

My bad Jaded.

Do you think Tmac will get a run?

I reckon he will. Goody sounded happy when he talked about him. To me it’s our best option given we’ve lost Petty. It allows us to play Tommo down back and make Smith the sub who can then cover forward or back. Also means Tmac can take the forward ruck contest which leaves JVR open deep. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

why would Tomo be dropped?

defence is solid

Maybe, just maybe they want a look at Disco, who has I think only had 2 senior games, one concussed and one unbelievably mismatched.  Then injured.  

38 minutes ago, CHF said:

Very interesting selections in this team for Sydney.

The 22 are pretty much what is to be expected but the 8 man IC that needs to be trimmed to 4 and a sub provide a lot of options that we can only guess at. The same goes for Sydney. They will be looking at what is the possible biggest threat.

My IC would include Tomlinson as I think that the defence looks so much more settled and secure with either Tomlinson or Petty playing back there beside May and Lever. I would also have Fristch and TMac there as we need to see how they are with fitness. As long as they will qualify to play at Casey the following weekend if they need to run. 4th on the bench would be a choice between Sparrow, Woewodin and Laurie with Smith as sub. 

Yeah but..... wadda I know?

or Disco - see above

21 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I reckon he will. Goody sounded happy when he talked about him. To me it’s our best option given we’ve lost Petty. It allows us to play Tommo down back and make Smith the sub who can then cover forward or back. Also means Tmac can take the forward ruck contest which leaves JVR open deep. 

JVR has always been so much more of a threat when there is another genuine tall, to date usually Petty, with him.  Hopefully Mac can be this assistant.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Don’t mean to cause any unnecessary concern but Steven May just posted a photo on social of him currently dining at a steak restaurant with a teammate 😬

Steak frittes?   (and I don't mean #31). Maybe at a French restaurant in Prahran? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I'd be surprised if he was but don't know why Turner was named.

My inclination was if they decide they want to rest May, who looks like he’s carried lower back pain all season. Just a guess though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

Given the ins, I'd like Turner to get a go for Tomlinson, but I can't see a way that happens. So TMac in, Laurie to sub, if no TMac, then Turner to CHB and Fritta and Smith to rotate between Laurie's high half forward position and playing deeper. 

I think this is what I'll go with.

McVee May Bowey

Salem Smith Lever

Langdon Oliver Hunter

Petracca TMac Fritta

Kozzy JVR ANB

Gawn Viney Gus

Rivers Sparrow Chandler Melksham

Laurie

I must say I see very little that Laurie (or Jordon or Spargo for that matter) offers as a sub.  Very one dimensional.  Can replace a small; that is all.

Smith IMO is the ideal sub.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Hey @binman are Sydney favourites in this game because the punters think we are going to try and lose to stay in 4th?

Not try to lose. 

Not maximize the chance of winning (eg having maxy on the bench for longer than we would normally).

And not having anything to play for (other than pride) might mean we are not as manic as we might otherwise be. 

That and the Swans have a very big incentive to win - a home final.

But i think a bit will depend on our final side ie which four from the extended bench come in (i wouldn't be discounting late outs either)

And if Port and Lions both win i think we will be equal favs or even outright as we stay 4th even if we win in that scenario.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, binman said:

Not try to lose. 

Not maximize the chance of winning (eg having maxy on the bench for longer than we would normally).

And not having anything to play for (other than pride) might mean we are not as manic as we might otherwise be. 

That and the Swans have a very big incentive to win - a home final.

But i think a bit will depend on our final side ie which four from the extended bench come in (i wouldn't be discounting late outs either)

And if Port and Lions both win i think we will be equal favs or even outright as we stay 4th even if we win in that scenario.

Weather forecast may have a bit to do with it too.

I suspect if top 4 were riding on this game we'd be favourites though.

• Like 2