PREGAME: Rd 21 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

4 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Unfortunately Casey have (yet) another bye next weekend so whoever's not playing for Melbourne won't be playing for Casey. I assume they'll play another scratch match against one of the other Clubs who also have VFL Byes.

That's getting beyond thr joke now with the VFL fixture.

AFL need to sort this mess out by next year.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

Clarko will be back and have something special, so we shouldn’t take anything for granted. 

But at the same time we do have to consider the work loads of Gawn, Viney, Melksham, if we should or shouldn’t play Clarry and probably the most vital - a possible rest for Salem who’s looked off the pace the last few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Explain Facebook Live GIF

3 sub 20 touch games and a half step behind chasing quick opponents, particularly in the Brisbane game but at times today too. Just hasn’t looked like his best after a strong patch of form before then. 

• Thanks 1

Giving gawn a week off means his 200th will be against the swans at the scg (not hawks at the mcg)...

Having said that it is the smart play.

Hibberd will be close to dislodging mcvee, oliver and sparrow return for harmes and jordon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

Full credit to the radio commentator on 'AFL Nation' for making West Coast v North sound like an epic contest setting the clouds on fire.

It's a shame they didn't set the crowds on fire.

We are hitting form. Nobody is getting rested unless they’re injured. I expect Viney and Gawn to have far fewer TOG minutes during this game and Trac will play forward for longer, especially if Sparrow is back. 

Do not flirt with form. Port rested 9 players for their game against Carlton, and haven’t won a game since. 

• Like 14

Out: Max (rest), Viney (rest), Woey (omitted), Harmes (omitted), JJ (omitted)

In: Grundy, Dunstan, Sparrow, Hibberd, Spargo

If Grundy isn't a suitable enough replacement for Gawn then no one is.

Dunstan deserves a shot as much as Viney deserves a rest.

Remaining three dropped on form and replaced with more than capable premiership players.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 minutes ago, JTR said:

Out: Max (rest), Viney (rest), Woey (omitted), Harmes (omitted), JJ (omitted)

In: Grundy, Dunstan, Sparrow, Hibberd, Spargo

If Grundy isn't a suitable enough replacement for Gawn then no one is.

Dunstan deserves a shot as much as Viney deserves a rest.

Remaining three dropped on form and replaced with more than capable premiership players.

I will give you a million dollars if this happens 

5 unforced changes 4 weeks out from finals after we just won 4 in a row. Yeah, nah

• Like 2

The only person that I could see being rested is Viney purely because he copped another hit to that shoulder which he's already had a few hits over the past few weeks.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, layzie said:

Another game in the magoos for Grundy.

I'd bring Grundy in to give Max an easier game. North have Goldstein and Xerri. We'd have to go with one less small in the rotation, probably Woey. Harmes (74%), Jordon (69%) to play more gametime.

• Like 5

Yet another bye coming up for Casey. The VFL fixturing this season has been crazy, which makes life difficult for all AFL fringe players.

Edited by Dee-monic
  • Like 1
  • Vomit 1

I don't agree with resting Gawn. He played far less taxing game time in the games Grundy played alongside him. He's in prime form. Resting him and then forcing him to find touch against Carlton the following week is IMO dangerous. Let him build his form. 

Whether someone like Viney or May needs a rest is a different question but even then, I'm cautious about resting too many players. I like that we're building form. I like that we're seeing key player starting to stand up. I want that build to continue, and I also want to see us see if we are going to tighten the defence just a touch. We have a chance for top 2 and that's not happening if we drop a few games from here. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I will give you a million dollars if this happens 

5 unforced changes 4 weeks out from finals after we just won 4 in a row. Yeah, nah

Deal  😁

I don't disagree with you re flirting with form, but we are playing an opponent who definitely won't want to win now that pick #1 is back on the table, so think it'd be safe enough to give guys who deserve the rest a break (Max/Viney).

Grundy needs to keep the km in the legs which he isn't getting at Casey and if we don't have a look at Dunstan now, it'll be too late to do it at all.

As for the omissions (Woey/JJ/Harmes), at least two of them aren't going to be playing finals if Oliver/Fritsch get back and I'd argue Sparrow & Hibberd should be in side ahead of a couple of them anyway.

1 minute ago, JTR said:

Deal  😁

I don't disagree with you re flirting with form, but we are playing an opponent who definitely won't want to win now that pick #1 is back on the table, so think it'd be safe enough to give guys who deserve the rest a break (Max/Viney).

Grundy needs to keep the km in the legs which he isn't getting at Casey and if we don't have a look at Dunstan now, it'll be too late to do it at all.

As for the omissions (Woey/JJ/Harmes), at least two of them aren't going to be playing finals if Oliver/Fritsch get back and I'd argue Sparrow & Hibberd should be in side ahead of a couple of them anyway.

You can manage players without resting them. 
I think one of Woey, Harmes or JJ come out for Sparrow this week if he’s ok to play. 
I don’t think they’ll risk Oliver. 

I think next week is a great time to play Kosi and Rivers through the middle a bit more and give Viney a lot less time on the ball. 
The only thing I would consider is bringing Grundy in to give Gawn a chop out, but I don’t know who you drop for him. 

It is also entirely possible that Tomlinson is dropped and Smith plays down back for the full game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

We are hitting form. Nobody is getting rested unless they’re injured. I expect Viney and Gawn to have far fewer TOG minutes during this game and Trac will play forward for longer, especially if Sparrow is back. 

Do not flirt with form. Port rested 9 players for their game against Carlton, and haven’t won a game since. 

Continuity is underrated.

• Like 3

Everyone saying Harmes should be dropped I thought he was good. Clarry won't play. If Sparrow plays he replaces either Jordon or Woewodin take your pick. Tomlinson out. Smith In and Hibbo the sub

• Like 1