• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Adelaide

Demonland

Went out to dinner this evening and was told by one of the others in attendance that Melbourne is lucky to be in its current place because it should/could have easily have lost the last two games which it won by narrow margins (leaving aside the fact that previously it had also lost some games by narrow margins). The same person is in awe of Collingwood’s fantastic ability to win the close ones which is what “makes them such a great team”. 

Remarkable!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 10
  • Clap 1
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Lot of commentary during the game that Brown was impacting the game without hitting the scoreboard. A lot of posters citing he’s cooked and Smith should come in.

This was what I heard too, so I went into the replay later on focused on what BBB offered and couldn’t disagree at all.

Keep making leads, was our exit target outside 50 (successfully and unsuccessfully) on a number of occasions, kept impacting the ball in the air and bringing to ground, and forward of centre was minded by two opponents in his own and what I assume was a float spare (i.e the Lever type role) without being beaten in the air - but not having the support there to stop the turnover once it hit the ground. 

Was a bit surprised by the DL opinion on his game - I’m hoping he keeps getting a game and gets some more reward like his start to the 2023 season. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, layzie said:

According to a lot of people here Collingwood are no good and do nothing for 3 quarters but our win today was great because that same Collingwood only beat Adelaide by small margins as well. 

Just admit Collingwood are alright and we good!

The media keep building the Wobbles up this season. We are seen as maybe, and fly under the radar, though haven't heard the snow mentioned yet.

I did hear they have a hand on it already. What kind of joke is that.

Even when they are down the media will continue to make stories about them. Must be because of their large number of supporters, and the media is about the bucks, and they roll towards higher bids.

Don't buy into it, Demonlander's.

The finals are, as they say, a new season. I also don't see the top 4 as the only one's capable of winning the cup. 

Be great to have them not mentioned, unless they are opponents. Again, it is only my opinion, and others must float their boats on something, just wish it was more about MFC, and not the media's darlings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Yes.

But agree, he was huge today and is a genuine a grader. And is a big out going forward

I really rate the Crows. I think they and the cats are the only teams outside the top 4 with any chance of winning the flag. 

I just think Port will struggle to come up after last week, a game they would have targeted.

And the showdown will be a target game for the crows.

That said one less day won't help their cause.

Agree totally re Rankine. He is an absolute gun and a good example of how tough the half forward role. 

For such a skilful player he has a Clanger every 4.5 disposals.  For all the flak that ANB cops, he has a Clanger every 5.4 disposals. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, kev martin said:

The media keep building the Wobbles up this season. We are seen as maybe, and fly under the radar, though haven't heard the snow mentioned yet.

Even when they are down the media will continue to make stories about them. Must be because of their large number of supporters, and the media is about the bucks, and they roll towards higher bids.

The finals are, as they say, a new season. I also don't see the top 4 as the only one's capable of winning the cup. 

Be great to have them not mentioned, unless they are opponents. Again, it is only my opinion, and others must float their boats on something, just wish it was more about MFC, and not the media's darlings. 

It's all about the clicks @kev martin they've got to keep their jobs don’t they?

• Clap 2

So over here in Nairobi, Kenya, you have @Nairobi_Demon and DeeFence (having never met before) who met up to watch the game! Very happy with the result. 

Crows played a brilliant game, happy with the win, absorbed the pressure. 

We are a greater team than the sum of our parts, demonstrated yet again. Thanks coach. 

Viney just a wrecking ball, Pickett's intense energy on display. Our HB line giving great run, Salem/Rivers/McVee with Hibbo in the pocket is gold dust. 

Chandler came back with endeavour, Woey didn't do much but did it well, ANB some lovely touches a few weeks in a row. Captain doing Captain things. 

May was off no doubt, but that came off his epic game last week, not worried as he is moving with speed still. Also a few had a chance to kill the game and kicked points. Leaving Adelaide a chance, wasn't just May stuffing it up. 

Also Umps missed some flagrant holding the balls that ended with Crows scoring and why is Lever 1/10 second late a 50, but Gawn can be cannoned into by a bum to the head after the balls is 5m away... 

20230723_163531.jpg

• Like 26
  • Love 6
  • Clap 1

Let's all hope and pray Ben brown has played his last game for mfc..

Bloke is soft as butter and useless in the air.

Leave Smith up forward, and tomlinson back and bring in Harmes as sub.

• Facepalm 8
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 2

10 hours ago, Dee-monic said:

If the Crows are as good as some posters are suggesting, I wonder why they have lost 10 of their 18 matches this season. Their overall record suggests they are an average mid-table outfit at best.

They also have the 7th best percentage, only 0.2% worse than the team in 2nd. So they are a plucky young side. And we DID beat them...

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Coll aren't 4th and haven't lost to Freo, GWS and Essendon 

The context and comparison aren't the same. False equivalence 

That's the difference 

That wasn’t your argument. You’re changing the story to suit a flawed position.

Also, the dynastic teams like the Hawks and Tigers win flags even when they don’t finish top. Tigers won all their flags from 3rd. It’s extremely hard, and not essential btw, to finish top every year. We’re right in the thick of it.

Edited by Radar Detector
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The Crows were without Laird, Doedee, Rachele and we put a lead on them 3 different times on our home deck, with an 8 day break and 3 times let them come back in to it.

We couldn’t consistently stop their run and we had large period making really dumb unforced mistakes.

Thats not what good teams do.

There’s less and less evidence that Fritsch - unless cherry ripe - actually makes us better than a Melk/Petracca combination. He can’t contest like Melk so would have to be added, which means Tracc on ball which is good, but not if it’s the turnover and lazy defensive running midfield Tracc.

Oliver certainly does make us better but the contested ball and drive he gives the midfield has to come with at least not terrible kicking. Too many of his games this year were incredibly wasteful.

There’s still no solution to:
- Tall forwards
- Half forwards with genuine pace, skill, ability to halve a contest
- Midfield and wing run and skill 
- Getting consistent run and carry out of a backline that the default setting is slow and safe and the change up setting is whatever May did today.

No team is ever perfect but this Melbourne side look short on polish and confidence to stick to the right tempo required.

Welcome to to Danger Zone.

26 minutes ago, Tracca said:

Let's all hope and pray Ben brown has played his last game for mfc..

Bloke is soft as butter and useless in the air.

Leave Smith up forward, and tomlinson back and bring in Harmes as sub.

Brown is still our best key forward option as he consistently provides a target and leads up at the ball.

It’s not his fault his knee seems cooked.

What he needs is more key position forwards around him to take some pressure off him.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

7 hours ago, kev martin said:

The thing with Collingwood is they are perennial choke artists. They can do what they want in h&a but they still need to overcome the Colliwobbles in September.

• Clap 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The thing with Collingwood is they are perennial choke artists. They can do what they want in h&a but they still need to overcome the Colliwobbles in September.

I'd rather they cough up in finals than now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DEE fence said:

So over here in Nairobi, Kenya, you have @Nairobi_Demon and DeeFence (having never met before) who met up to watch the game! Very happy with the result. 

Crows played a brilliant game, happy with the win, absorbed the pressure. 

We are a greater team than the sum of our parts, demonstrated yet again. Thanks coach. 

Viney just a wrecking ball, Pickett's intense energy on display. Our HB line giving great run, Salem/Rivers/McVee with Hibbo in the pocket is gold dust. 

Chandler came back with endeavour, Woey didn't do much but did it well, ANB some lovely touches a few weeks in a row. Captain doing Captain things. 

May was off no doubt, but that came off his epic game last week, not worried as he is moving with speed still. Also a few had a chance to kill the game and kicked points. Leaving Adelaide a chance, wasn't just May stuffing it up. 

Also Umps missed some flagrant holding the balls that ended with Crows scoring and why is Lever 1/10 second late a 50, but Gawn can be cannoned into by a bum to the head after the balls is 5m away... 

20230723_163531.jpg

Great post guys. Ah Aussie rules .....rules overseas as well. A great testament to the game and Aussie mateship.

• Like 4

Viney’s efforts are just unbelievable at times but Gussy yesterday was just as desperate. Gus showed tremendous leadership on the ground, could often be heard directing his teammates.
He had a lot of score involvements also, good to see him recognised in the votes here. He was in the top 3 on the ground for me. 

• Like 13

Lets be honest, the season is tight and Crows were always going to throw everything at us. But given their inaccurate kicking, we dodged a bullet in this one. Still a midfielder short even with Oliver and a tall fwd. Maybe two.

11 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The Crows were without Laird, Doedee, Rachele and we put a lead on them 3 different times on our home deck, with an 8 day break and 3 times let them come back in to it.

We couldn’t consistently stop their run and we had large period making really dumb unforced mistakes.

Thats not what good teams do.

There’s less and less evidence that Fritsch - unless cherry ripe - actually makes us better than a Melk/Petracca combination. He can’t contest like Melk so would have to be added, which means Tracc on ball which is good, but not if it’s the turnover and lazy defensive running midfield Tracc.

Oliver certainly does make us better but the contested ball and drive he gives the midfield has to come with at least not terrible kicking. Too many of his games this year were incredibly wasteful.

There’s still no solution to:
- Tall forwards
- Half forwards with genuine pace, skill, ability to halve a contest
- Midfield and wing run and skill 
- Getting consistent run and carry out of a backline that the default setting is slow and safe and the change up setting is whatever May did today.

No team is ever perfect but this Melbourne side look short on polish and confidence to stick to the right tempo required.

Just trying to work out why you supposedly support the MFC

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kev martin said:

Sure, but the Pies play bazball,its exciting and  two games clear on the basis of fearless commited " dare" ( quote Dasisy Pearce) besides winning close ones.

The close ones  M F C have recently won are the ones they nearly lost because they couldn't close the door ,which is exciting but the antithesis of the Pies.

If MFC ' s" bang bang bang "variants went with blow out wins leaving the opposition mids looking at the scoreboard as they trudged back to the next bounce then there would be a deal more respect around.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Just trying to work out why you supposedly support the MFC

I suggest it's because he supports MFC and hopes for them to win another flag by improving their game.He seems to have an opinion on the basis of watching the matches with a degree of maturity

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Sure, LOL.

Why do you think the win the close ones?

Some clown on here said MFC must be hard to coach against!

Of the notional contenders they are far and away the easiest to play against;opposition teams go in knowing that they are always a chance because MFC rarely play 4 quarters at their best ( as good as it is) and are vulnerable to being ground down by failing to capitalise on the leads the establish

Edited by IRW

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Brown is still our best key forward option as he consistently provides a target and leads up at the ball.

It’s not his fault his knee seems cooked.

What he needs is more key position forwards around him to take some pressure off him.

no one is blaming him for his knee. he is cooked and cannot contest in the air. We have better more competitive options that proved themselves within 1 minute of the game than what Ben could offer us in 3 quarters. Hes not up to it any more.

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, IRW said:

Why do you think the win the close ones?

Some clown on here said MFC must be hard to coach against!

Of the notional contenders they are far and away the easiest to play against;opposition teams go in knowing that they are always a chance because MFC rarely play 4 quarters at their best ( as good as it is) and are vulnerable to being ground down by failing to capitalise on the leads they establish.

And that's without the observation that the coach is unimaginative and fails to adjust his plans when neccesary

2 minutes ago, Tracca said:

no one is blaming him for his knee. he is cooked and cannot contest in the air. We have better more competitive options that proved themselves within 1 minute of the game than what Ben could offer us in 3 quarters. Hes not up to it any more.

Honouring his leads might be worth a try but otherwise you seem to be correct.

However as Candice Warner said " who is better?"

• Like 1