• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY: Rd 18 vs Coburg

KC from Casey

3 hours ago, dice said:

image.png.bf98e97134a7d135587b9f442b65ed8a.png

What a joke we didn't get fixtured against the Bullants this year

I'm glad we didn't.

What help is that sort of game for development and/or plsyers pushing their case for senior selection 

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

51 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Mathew Jefferson will be a brilliant forward for us, BOOKMARK IT!🤩

Very good contested mark already and an accurate kick.

Another pre season and more muscle and he will be JVR’s key forward partner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Very good contested mark already and an accurate kick.

Another pre season and more muscle and he will be JVR’s key forward partner.

Was really surprised how good he is in contested situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched occasionally through the day but only around 1/2 of the overall match.  Observations: 

Jefferson showed good signs. Nice mark and agility.  Definitely build up his upper body strength and agree he will be a good partner for JVR.

Dunstan too good for VFL. Good inside to win the footy and drive it forward.

AMW. I like his agressive style and knows how to kick a goal. Definitely keep pursuing on the list.

Deakyn Smith is still improving. Good overlap run on 2-3 occasions.  Got caught once but needs to keep being aggressive on the rebound.  

Hibbo. The experience was obvious. Composed and impressed as he won a few good contested 1-1 battles. Welcome back next week (if we have any room)

Harmes. No. Some of his disposals and decision making were horrible.  🤯

Spargo did some nice little things but defensively didn’t see him lay a tackle and was beaten in a few 1-1 by his defender. No recall on that form. 😕

Grundy.  Excellent ruckman 👋but he’s a Novice forward.  He kicked the goal after a very short boundary throw in. Had other chances but goalkicking let him down.  🤔

One to watch. Tyler Edwards.  Noticed him in patches with good skills and entries inside 50.  Handy top up player to the squad. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Mathew Jefferson will be a brilliant forward for us, BOOKMARK IT!🤩

However,if so,will take a couple of years at least IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

Really good players have a way of surprising everyone, they improve quickly particularly when surrounded by a great support team and supportive team mates.!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jayceebee31 said:

post bye next year if he continues steadily is my guess

We do need another back up forward. Doubt it but Shache might just be it. I hope the MC is into his ear

Miracles can happen

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jayceebee31 said:

I think most of us would be happy to wait (though some no doubt will call him a dud and demand his delisting if he doesn't win the Coleman next year 🙄)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

DAY OF THE GIANTS by KC from Casey

The Casey team that ventured deep into the northern suburbs to Piranha Park on Saturday  to take on lowly Coburg who have yet to record a VFL win in 2023, was different to the one we normally see but the result was still as expected. The Demons were never troubled in compiling their comprehensive 42 point victory over the hapless Lions. 

Casey fielded a dozen Melbourne-listed players but there were a number of points of difference to the norm. This team included three giant ruckmen in All-Australian Brodie Grundy and rookies Will Verrall and Kyah Ferris-White while the team’s regular ruckman Jack Bell remains out injured. A number of other regulars were also out for one reason or another as the Demons shuffle some of their players between their two teams. 

If anything, the team might have been a little top heavy but irrespective, Casey was  on top from the get go and won every quarter. They held the Burgers goalless in the opening term but for all their dominance, they managed only three goals from nine scoring opportunities in blustery conditions. The accuracy improved in the second term to see them out to a lead of 35 points at half time and they coasted through the remainder of the game which never reached great heights as a spectacle.

Grundy’s well-documented move to the VFL to work on his forward craft could hardly be termed an unqualified success in his first official hitout but he had his moments finishing with one goal three behinds, 12 disposals, four marks, four tackles and 12 hit outs, mostly while stationed on the forward line. His goal came just before half time when he plucked the ball out of a ruck duel and he could easily have scored more given that he missed a few gettable shots at goal. 

Grundy’s presence up forward was also important for Casey’s attacking set up. The forwards all pitched in with Matt Jefferson, Josh Schache, Charlie Spargo chipping in with two goals each. Jefferson is developing nicely at this level although he’s probably twelve months away from an AFL berth. His marking is strong and he presents well in front of goal at ground level. Andy Moniz-Wakefield was lively and always looked dangerous. 

The standout player on the ground was Luke Dunstan who amassed more than forty disposals in a game for the second time this year. Along with James Harmes who was also prolific collecting 33 possessions, they controlled the midfield winning the clearances at stoppages and also gaining plenty of touches in general play. 

The Demons had the benefit of an outstanding defensive display from Michael Hibberd who is returning from injury. He amassed 30 touches and took nine marks in a role as the general of the Casey backline in a performance that should see his early return to AFL ranks. Hibberd worked well with young rookie Deakyn Smith who benefited from playing with someone of his experience and he played with great composure in a 21 disposal display, probably his best at the club. 

Jimmy Munro was as always, a tough customer and Casey listed youngsters Tyler Edwards, George Grey and Roan Steele were solid contributors. 

Grundy wasn’t the only All-Australian on the ground. Exciting draft hopeful, Gippsland Power’s Zane Duursma, gained that recognition coming out of the recent national under 18 carnival after a brilliance performance for Vic Country against Vic Metro last week and he showed why in a fine cameo performance in his second game for Casey. He is expected to be a top-10 pick in the upcoming AFL draft. (Matt Jefferson also gained All-Australian honours at last year’s carnival).

The Demons have three more games to play before the finals and sit in fifth place. Unfortunately, the situation near the top of the VFL competition is so tight that a win in each of them might not guarantee a berth in the all-important top four for the finals. Next week they take on fellow finals contenders Williamstown at Casey Fields.

CASEY DEMONS 3.6.24 8.9.57 11.13.79 13.17.95

COBURG 0.2.2 3.4.22 6.7.43 7.11.53

GOALS 

CASEY DEMONS Jefferson Schache Spargo 2 Dunstan Edwards Grey Grundy Moniz-Wakefield Munro  Sestan

COBURG Clarke 2 Mason Podhajski Simpson Sturgess Weightman

BEST 

CASEY DEMONS Dunstan Harmes Hibberd Moniz-Wakefield Edwards D Smith

COBURG Jepson Mason Nelson Podhajski Clarke Gentile

Statistics 

Jed Adams 3 kicks 3 handballs 6 disposals 3 marks 24 dream team points
Luke Dunstan 1 goal 1 behind 17 kicks 24 handballs 41 disposals 8 marks 5 tackles 141 dream team points
Zane Duursma 1 behind 6 kicks 4 handballs 10 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 42 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 1 goal 17 kicks 4 handballs 21 disposals 8 marks 1 tackle 94 dream team points
Kyah Farris-White 3 handballs 3 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 6 hit outs 19 dream team points
Tom Freeman 6 kicks 3 handballs 9 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 40 dream team points
George Grey 1 goal 5 kicks 6 handballs 11 disposals 4 marks 1 tackles 46 dream team points
Brodie Grundy 1 goal 3 behinds 7 kicks 5 handballs 12 disposals 4 marks 4 tackles 12 hit outs 72 dream team points
James Harmes 14 kicks 19 handballs 33 disposals 4 marks 4 tackles 105 dream team points
Michael Hibberd 20 kicks 10 handballs 30 disposals 9 marks 1 tackles 103 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 2 goals 3 behinds 8 kicks 1 handball 9 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 61 dream team points
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 1 goal 1 behind 10 kicks 10 handballs 20 disposals 7 marks 6 tackles 99 dream team points 
Ned Moodie 7 kicks 3 handballs 10 disposals 4 marks 1 tackles 43 dream team points
James Munro 1 goal 11 kicks 11 handballs 22 disposals 6 marks 2 tackles 84 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 5 kicks 2 handballs 7 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 35 dream team points 
Josh Schache 2 goals 2 behinds 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 8 marks 3 tackles 2 hit outs 81 dream team points 
Oliver Sestan 1 goal 4 kicks 4 handballs 8 disposals 3 marks 35 dream team points
Deaykin Smith 13 kicks 8 handballs 21 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 86 dream team points
Charlie Spargo 2 goals 13 kicks 6 handballs 19 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 78 dream team points
Roan Steele 11 kicks 6 handballs 17 disposals 7 marks 1 tackle 68 dream team points
Ryan Valentine 3 kicks 2 handballs 5 disposals 2 marks 16 dream team points
Will Verrall 6 kicks 6 handballs 12 disposals 2 tackles 13 hit outs 50 dream team points
Mitch White 9 kicks 8 handballs 17 disposals 1 marks 5 tackles 67 dream team pointsIMG_4043.jpeg

• Thanks 5
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Was really surprised how good he is in contested situations.

Agree. Those long spindly legs don't inspire confidence that he can hold ground or deal with a contest but he just keeps marking it

• Like 1

Despite the win, wins to other teams means only a quite narrow chance to make the 4. Top 6 looks reasonably safe but games against Williamstown and Brisbane will be a good challenge.

Strength of finals teams will partly depend on eligibility of listed players, plus availability of listed players which is affected by whether the firsts are playing that weekend and the order and location of games.

But the team seems to be in good form and improving.

Hold onto your hats.

• Like 1

Few good signs in this game.

Jefferson will be a good fwd, another couple of pre-seasons to get some bulk but more so i think he will become an elite running CHF, will team up well with JVR when it eventuates.  Will take time though.

AMW is only 19 and developing very well,  if he can continue playing games like that he will be in the AFL side very quickly.

Grundy had 4 shots on goal, thats a good return. and most importantly he structured them up well.  Good start to his mini training block.

Spargo played exactly how we have needed him in the seniors this season, few more weeks like that and he will get his spot back.

Harmes/Dunstan just did what they do, great back ups if we need them. i would be surprised if either are at the club next year. but good depth atm.  Same goes for Schacke, but he willl be at the club next yr.

Zane Duursma showed enough without being outstanding, id be more than happy for us to use pick 4 on him if we keep it.  Only his second game at the level, looks a good size and has good skills.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, jayceebee31 said:

Next year B Brown, TMc and Tommo are all out of contract. Its likely least 2 will not be renewed. The following 2025 preseason will be Jefferson's 3rd so he should be raring to go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, manny100 said:

Next year B Brown, TMc and Tommo are all out of contract. Its likely least 2 will not be renewed. The following 2025 preseason will be Jefferson's 3rd so he should be raring to go.

I think Tmac will be done at the end of this year. Tommo will leave i think, otherwise he will be 31 coming on 32 at the end of his contract.

BBB if managed correctly could go another couple of years.  which we will need someone like him to stick around and help develop the young Key fwds.

• Like 1

Was at yesterday's game. As most have said the Melbourne fringe players dominated and were a class above.

Grundy seemed okay, but not amazing. Spent the entire day forward except for five minutes in the ruck before half time. The positives were that he seemed to work well with the other forwards. He wasn't getting in anyone's way and made a few good leads to space, getting on the end of a couple. He looked his best when he crashed a pack once or twice and reacted well when the ball went to ground. One on one he lacked that initial burst of pace and didn't seem to get too much separation on his opponent. He's never going to be the number one forward but it depends on the role he is being asked to play at AFL.

My overall impression can be summed up with 'meh'. As others mentioned he easily could have had four goals and missed a few very gettable opportunities but all players struggled with accuracy. I think he worked well with Jefferson and Sache and if he is supposed to just play third tall for ten minutes a quarter, giving another option then yeah, okay, it could work. But Coburg is struggling this year so he could have looked better against poor opposition.

On Jefferson though, I was impressed. He was quiet to begin with, but worked his way into it. Took some good grabs and did a few things at ground level that made me sit up. A few people commented in the match day thread he looks like he's bulked up a bit and I got that impression in person. I don't think he will be making a debut this year but was enough to get me excited about a future JVR and Jefferson forward line.

Of the other Melbourne listed players AMW looked good as did Smith. Jed Adams didn't look too far off, but the ball was hardly in the Coburg forward line so didn't see heaps of him. Verral looked decent in the ruck. Sestan was quiet. I didn't see much from Kyah Farris-White but he's very young and skinny so best to wait a bit. Didn't notice Duursma too much but he took a couple of good grabs and looked okay.

One more observation of the day. Good work from Coburg lions and their fans. It's not easy being flogged every week but there was a really friendly atmosphere there and the fans seemed really positive about their team. Felt like a nice community. I overheard a few other Casey fans express similar sentiments.

Edited by Simmo0911
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Development of our younger players looks slow with fringe players dominating.

Need to consider JVR, McVee and Woewodin have developed to the point of being in the 22 of a top 4 side at the minute. Howes, Laurie and Disco Turner who are all are consistently impacting at VFL not playing makes the cupboard look barer as well.  

• Like 6

On 7/22/2023 at 4:55 PM, dice said:

image.png.bf98e97134a7d135587b9f442b65ed8a.png

What a joke we didn't get fixtured against the Bullants this year

I have absolutely no problem with Casey not playing Northern Bullants this season. Casey were Premiers and lost 1 game and should have been 1 of the 2 teams that didn't play them. More to the point is why was the 2nd team Casey didn't play Port Melbourne who finished 16th in 2022? That team should have been mid-table at worst. It also seems to me it should have been possible to play all other teams once. It would only have needed a reduction in the byes from 4 to 2 or from 4 to 3 with the season starting a week earlier.

23 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Agree Mo, it's a sad state of affairs. It's like the VFL is the plaything of the AFL. With the stroke of a pen, they'll mess with the clubs to suit their ever-shifting priorities. It's offensive that clubs with proud histories can just go by the wayside or be tossed about in an ever-changing competition. I'm not sure I'd want to play for a VFL side (aside from an obvious lack of talent). You either get thumped every week while scrounging for loose change from the AFL or make up the numbers for an AFL reserve side. Not my idea of a pathway to AFL or a recipe for building a strong community-based club.

Well, I'd  say it's more of a pathway to the AFL that a standalone VFA. There's 6 Victorian non-affiliated teams in the VFL and there's live video coverage of every VFL game played. Back in the good old days there was  interest in the VFA because they played Sundays and the VFL played Saturdays. There was one game a week on TV. I'm sure no-ones forcing the standalone clubs to play in the VFL. 

23 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Off topic but Living in Nsw I get jealous every state of origin game  Was our state of origin very good and as passionate or a gimmick?

23 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

League SoO is huge is here in Nsw. It's like three mini gfs. 

I can't remember ours being as big and wonder why it died out .

I did enjoy seeing Dees players in the side but it wasn't a parochial thing like Nsw and Qld.

In the early days it was State vs State and Victoria had huge wins because their side included nearly all the best SA & WA players (because they had moved to Melbourne to play VFL). Then it became State of Origin and was very popular because the teams were much more evenly-matched. I'd also say the Interstate teams were much more motivated than Victoria because it meant so much more to them and their fans. Basically, since the VFL went National and became the AFL there's really not the same demand for State of Origin. Where could they squeeze it into the schedule?

Yes, State of Origin is huge in NSW and is bigger than the NRL Grand Final, although frequently the 3rd game is a dead rubber. They tried to talk up the 3rd game this year but did anyone really care that NSW won as they had already lost the Series? What I hate about State of Origin is it really compromises the NRL Season because players generally can't play for their clubs prior to or after mid-week State of Origin games. This wouldn't be acceptable to AFL Clubs or fans and is another reason why State of Origin doesn't work as an AFL concept.

27 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I have absolutely no problem with Casey not playing Northern Bullants this season. Casey were Premiers and lost 1 game and should have been 1 of the 2 teams that didn't play them. More to the point is why was the 2nd team Casey didn't play Port Melbourne who finished 16th in 2022? That team should have been mid-table at worst. It also seems to me it should have been possible to play all other teams once. It would only have needed a reduction in the byes from 4 to 2 or from 4 to 3 with the season starting a week earlier.

Well, I'd  say it's more of a pathway to the AFL that a standalone VFA. There's 6 Victorian non-affiliated teams in the VFL and there's live video coverage of every VFL game played. Back in the good old days there was  interest in the VFA because they played Sundays and the VFL played Saturdays. There was one game a week on TV. I'm sure no-ones forcing the standalone clubs to play in the VFL. 

In the early days it was State vs State and Victoria had huge wins because their side included nearly all the best SA & WA players (because they had moved to Melbourne to play VFL). Then it became State of Origin and was very popular because the teams were much more evenly-matched. I'd also say the Interstate teams were much more motivated than Victoria because it meant so much more to them and their fans. Basically, since the VFL went National and became the AFL there's really not the same demand for State of Origin. Where could they squeeze it into the schedule?

Yes, State of Origin is huge in NSW and is bigger than the NRL Grand Final, although frequently the 3rd game is a dead rubber. They tried to talk up the 3rd game this year but did anyone really care that NSW won as they had already lost the Series? What I hate about State of Origin is it really compromises the NRL Season because players generally can't play for their clubs prior to or after mid-week State of Origin games. This wouldn't be acceptable to AFL Clubs or fans and is another reason why State of Origin doesn't work as an AFL concept.

Thanks Sd.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:15 AM, Big Col said:

I hate the way the VFL has been merged with the Reserves.

Tomorrow I get to watch the Demons Reserves (aka Casey) play a torpedo punt* from my home. But I'll feel like a goddamn traitor when my Coburg drinking buddies see me in red and blue. Any other week I support the Lions.

Coburg Lions are really struggling this year. It's hard to compete against AFL clubs and professional athletes. 

All Demon fans going to Coburg, please eat as many snags and chips as you can, and drink the Coburg Lager. Help keep the Lions viable. 

* I'm probably talking 5 x Malcolm Blight torps if I'm honest

On 7/22/2023 at 10:33 AM, Cranky Franky said:

I fully agree with u. If the AFL had any brains they would provide some $$ to these stand alone clubs & help to maintain a high standard for a local 2nd tier comp.

On 7/22/2023 at 11:37 AM, Old Bear said:

Played a few half time games there in under 13 during the the VFAs great days in the 60s

Even got on the TV once

I agree that a once great club is being reduced to a gap filler role in this stupid version of VFL

The VFA died the day that the VFL/AFL started to play Sunday footy...

There was no longer a point of difference.

The current VFL competition is a bit of a dogs breakfast but I guess at least some of the traditional VFA clubs are still able to hang in there.

The old VFA was done and dusted.... Local footy clubs were throwing the big $'s around and they couldn't compete. The competition had lost it's shine and it's revenue base.

The current VFL is probably the most cost efficient model at the moment being able to piggy back on local club infrastructure...

You can't compare WAFL & SANFL competitions as they kept their clubs, there is a strong bond.

Our big clubs formed the foundation of the AFL so we're left with what we have...

A dogs breakfast yep, but not sure of a what a better solution looks like...

Edited by rjay

14 hours ago, manny100 said:

I agree- 2/3 pre seasons is what’s required.But he has the ability .

I think Jefferson and JVR will make a sensational forward line  but it will take time .But, it would not hurt giving him a taste of AFL, maybe against North, to give him a taste of hard work required, to make it.He will.

Edited by jayceebee31
  • Thinking 1