• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

18 minutes ago, Macca said:

The May shove was right in front of me and it was a blatant push by May

Red & Blue goggles aside, if that free is even questioned, then we should never ever get any frees paid against us

May shoved Daniher out of the contest

Besides which, the umpiring overall was excellent so why is the officiating even being brought up?

The game was am excellent example of how good footy can be and also, the game was well umpired

The 'push' was something which happens a thousand times a game; had Daniher - he is known for vying for Academy Awards - not 'dropped' the call was 'Play On'. It was as bad an acting job as Merrett's for which he has just been fined. Maybe it's an Essendon gene pool thing...

Edited by Monbon
  • Like 5

Just now, Monbon said:

The 'push' was something which happens a thousand times a game; had Daniher - he is known for vying for Academy Awards - not 'dropped' the call was 'Play On'. It was as bad an acting job as Merrett's for which he has just been fined. Maybe it's an Essendon gene pool thing...

There's a lot of push-outs in the sport ... some are seen, some are missed, some are blatant, others not so blatant.  Some simply can't be seen easily

But the May shove was as blatant as I've seen and May did it right in front of the umpire (and right in front of where I was sitting/standing - Punt Rd end forward pocket)

But you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.  But you're talking to someone who is primarily on the side of the umpires

A rarely seen thing on this site.  Strange but true

Just an observation ... there are at least 30 prominent posters on this site who have never once complained about any umpiring decision

I notice them because they are like-minded

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I know Milk is getting a lot of hero status for his match winning goals.

But Vineys goal was probably the best. Shook of his opponent and then simply wrestled it off a huge player to kick a goal from inside the proverbial phone booth.

Shout out to Kozzie you kept his feet and beat two lions opponents for his third and most important goal. Vintage Kozzie. Hope that reignites his confidence.

Did anyone hear a commentator groan on kayo, ten seconds into our theme song?

Possible Bt moment.

I think BT was giving birth to a "steaming Brian"

55 minutes ago, Macca said:

The May shove was right in front of me and it was a blatant push by May

Red & Blue goggles aside, if that free is even questioned, then we should never ever get any frees paid against us

May shoved Daniher out of the contest

Besides which, the umpiring overall was excellent so why is the officiating even being brought up?

The game was am excellent example of how good footy can be and also, the game was well umpired

May shoved Daniher in the side and tried to turn him. Daniher dived for his life.

And if you think the umpiring was good go watch Petracca be molested by Starcevich every time there was a stoppage. Disgraceful

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

May shoved Daniher in the side and tried to turn him. Daniher dived for his life.

And if you think the umpiring was good go watch Petracca be molested by Starcevich every time there was a stoppage. Disgraceful

We do it too when we can get away with it.  Harmes & Viney have been known to scrag and harass when in tagging roles

Who was that Demon player who Brereton took to task because of the treatment that Platten was getting? Dean Chiron?  We're no angels

Was Brayshaw blocking Neale's run on Friday night?  Scragging?  Good luck to Angus if he got away with it

And May did not push Daniher in the side and even if he did (and he didn't) that's transgressing the rules anyway

You can't just shove another player out of the way especially when the ball isn't within 5 metres

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:26 PM, old55 said:

"12 goal loss"?

I was wrong...how many of you left at 3/4   time?

But can't you read  ? I also said 12 points  which until Melksham ( and Jack   ) stepped up was pretty close to the mark 

I still don't think they are top 4 and the flag is a nonsense. 

Jared and Salo are  both underrated and I have never criticised Melksham.  ...about the only player who understands a low targeted pass as opposed to uneccessary looping handballs to the feet of someone running past or lazy sky balls in the general direction of someone who isn't actually " free" is just lack of nouse and professionalism 

Read others  3/4   time posts again before you critique pre game guesswork....pal

I grew up with Ron Dicko and Bluey but never confused support with stupidity...PAL

Edited by IRW
  • Facepalm 1

Geeze, can David King have a bigger hard on for Collingwood? Made worse listening to him talking about the size of gap between us and them.

We did beat them a few weeks ago, right? It felt pretty real. Maybe I dreamt it.

Nope, I just checked the score. We definitely beat them.

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, P-man said:

Geeze, can David King have a bigger hard on for Collingwood? Made worse listening to him talking about the size of gap between us and them.

We did beat them a few weeks ago, right? It felt pretty real. Maybe I dreamt it.

And if we'd kicked straight against the Pies, the margin would have been comprehensive

What came out of that performance (that King conveniently forgets) is how we shut down Collingwood's offense

They couldn't get past our 3 or 4 lines of defence coupled with our defensive zones which seemed to confuse them

It was the way we beat them that sticks in the memory

Easily our best performance since the finals of 2021 ... our issue is that we've dropped games against a few lesser lights that we should have won

But against the top 3 ... 2 narrow losses and 2 narrow wins (one if which could have been comprehensive)

We're right in amongst it but we need Oliver & Fritsch back and 1 of our 2 KPF's to fire ... if 2 of our KPF'S fire we're winning it all!

Edited by Macca
  • Like 12

35 minutes ago, P-man said:

Fortunately for dees fans, his confident prediction a few weeks back that freo would take our spot in the top four is unlikely to prove accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Agreed although I wouldn't call Viney a lesser light. He is a gun.

Did you miss the word with?

Edited by loges
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:39 PM, Deeko2 said:

I feel I’m always sticking up for Melksham. I’m a fan when he has a role and playing on the edge and not getting too cosy in the team.

Harris Andrews took 10 grabs against us Rd 2 and smoked us. He’s so important to them and Jake played well on him tonight.

Plus, unlike Spargo and Chandler (who I’ve always thought he should be in front of), he can play tall and take a decent grab whilst still retaining some pace to chase the smalls.

Unfortunately, similar to TMac, Melksham has a recurring 3-4 week stint in the team where he peaks week 1, some nice things in week 2 then liability in weeks 3 - 4 then in the Magoos and so on and so forth. I love his good stuff. Not sure why he has petered off so quickly in he past. Hopefully the penny has dropped after 14 seasons. 

• Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I know Milk is getting a lot of hero status for his match winning goals.

But Vineys goal was probably the best. Shook of his opponent and then simply wrestled it off a huge player to kick a goal from inside the proverbial phone booth.

Shout out to Kozzie you kept his feet and beat two lions opponents for his third and most important goal. Vintage Kozzie. Hope that reignites his confidence.

Did anyone hear a commentator groan on kayo, ten seconds into our theme song?

Possible Bt moment.

Yes I have mentioned it earlier. He just cannot stand Melbourne. The groan was most audible. Choke on that BT.

5 hours ago, Macca said:

We do it too when we can get away with it.  Harmes & Viney have been known to scrag and harass when in tagging roles

Who was that Demon player who Brereton took to task because of the treatment that Platten was getting? Dean Chiron?  We're no angels

Was Brayshaw blocking Neale's run on Friday night?  Scragging?  Good luck to Angus if he got away with it

And May did not push Daniher in the side and even if he did (and he didn't) that's transgressing the rules anyway

You can't just shove another player out of the way especially when the ball isn't within 5 metres

Dean Chiron on Platten…geeeez you are going back in time Macca. Aaron Naughton puts his hands in his opponents back at every marking contest and is rarely paid against. May had a hand on Danihers stomach and one on his back, and Daniher sprung forward in a diving motion…it was simulation at its finest. You might appreciate the umpiring and all, but those are facts and if they keep paying them then more players will continue to to dive as soon as they feel any contact on their back. It’s a blight on the game

Edited by Kick_It_To_Pickett
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, layzie said:

Why on earth is the Hipwood non-mark being discussed as a controversial moment? It hit Lever in the chest and if he didn't think we could have marked it he would have gone the punch. 

In my view Lever marked it then Hipwood ripped it out, it was not even a 50-50 with Lever in front. Hipwood tried to con the umpire and it's understandable in that moment.

And let's not forget around the neck. Hipwood was always going to lose any appeal to the umpire. Very little on this point discussed by the media. Oh I forgot. They have their own agenda against Melbourne. Try Foxtel last night. Nothing about a great win but all about Gawn/Grundy. Media now suggesting Melbourne should move Grundy on to a third club. Ding bats. 

Edited by MT64
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Dean Chiron on Platten…geeeez you are going back in time Macca. Aaron Naughton puts his hands in his opponents back at every marking contest and is rarely paid against. May had a hand on Danihers stomach and one on his back, and Daniher sprung forward in a diving motion…it was simulation at its finest. You might appreciate the umpiring and all, but those are facts and if they keep paying them then more players will continue to to dive as soon as they feel any contact on their back. It’s a blight on the game

Here's the thing

People like you (and there are hundreds of 1000's like you) can choose to spend your entire lives whinging and moaning about how the game is umpired or you can choose not to

There's no cheating, that's never happened.  The umpires have an impossible task and you all should have realised that by now ... actually, past the age of 12 that realisation should have kicked in

I don't have an agenda either, I made my mind up over 5 decades ago

But most of the rest of you are so far gone there's no changing your mind

You're triggered by all the so-called injustice.  And all for what?  So you can have a whinge?

By and large, the game is umpired quite well

I've done this with mates so I'm going to do it here ... I'll give anyone here $10k if they can ever prove (real proof required) that the umpires have ever cheated against your football club

Cash!  In your hot little hands.  It's not a bet, I'll happily hand over the money

So hop to it, there's easy money to be made (supposedly)

Only quote me if you've got the proof (that the umpires cheat)

Trying to change my mind is a fruitless exercise.  As it's a fruitless exercise to change your minds

But I'm entitled to my opinion even if it does make your blood boil

I'm baffled that more people here haven't come to the same conclusion that I did all those years ago ... but what we've got is group thinking on a massive scale

"The umpires hate us, they really do.  They've always hated us, they are cheats, they really are.  Something has to be done!"

All nonsense based on caveman instincts - tribe related

Try watching the game for a month whilst at the same time ignoring all questionable decisions.  Do that and you'll be well on your way to accepting how things are

You'll feel liberated, I'll guarantee it

Afterwards, you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch a long time ago

Watch the game, not how the game is officiated.  Unless you do that, you're not actually watching the sport properly

In the meantime, there's $10k to be had ... hop to it

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

Here's the thing

People like you (and there are hundreds of 1000's like you) can choose to spend your entire lives whinging and moaning about how the game is umpired or you can choose not to

There's no cheating, that's never happened.  The umpires have an impossible task and you all should have realised that by now ... actually, past the age of 12 that realisation should have kicked in

You're triggered by all the so-called injustice.  And all for what?  So you can have a whinge?

I've done this with mates so I'm going to do it here ... I'll give anyone here $10k if they can ever prove (real proof required) that the umpires have ever cheated against your football club

Cash!  In your hot little hands.  It's not a bet, I'll happily hand over the money

Trying to change my mind is a fruitless exercise.  As it's a fruitless exercise to change your minds

I'm baffled that more people here haven't come to the same conclusion that I did all those years ago ... but what we've got is group thinking on a massive scale

"The umpires hate us, they really do.  They've always hated us, they are cheats, they really are.  Something has to be done!"

Try watching the game for a month whilst at the same time ignoring all questionable decisions.  Do that and you'll be well on your way to accepting how things are

Watch the game, not how the game is officiated.  Unless you do that, you're not actually watching the sport properly

I agree, AFL umpiring is very difficult and the umpires generally do a good job. They make some inevitable errors but much less than players do.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Macca said:

Here's the thing

I'll give it a go but of I'm not liberated, do know that I accept checks.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

I agree, AFL umpiring is very difficult and the umpires generally do a good job. They make some inevitable errors but much less than players do.

I just watched the replay of the May push and if that isn't a free kick to Daniher then pushing in the back will never be paid

It was so obvious and why is May complaining?  Probably caught up in the heat of the moment but nonetheless, he made an error

Not the crime of the century either, he just simply made an error and right in front of the umpire.  A brain fade but again, not a hanging offence

But we want our tribe to win and the officials (umpires) are seen as untrustworthy and on-the-take.  Of course, none if that is true but if a football fan reaches adulthood with a hatred of umpires, they are unlikely to ever change their minds

Why? Because they are surrounded by confirmation bias for their entire lives

People like me are dismissed out of hand and largely ignored.  I become the enemy haha

But the umpires are treated as the enemy far more so than opposition teams.  Which doesn't make sense if people think about about it and apply some logic

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I'll give it a go but of I'm not liberated, do know that I accept checks.

Ha ha!  Well I work with cash a bit so you'll have to accept the folding stuff deevs

But my wallet won't be seeing any action as you'll never be able to provide any proof that the umpires actually cheat haha

Anyway, just a bit of fun on a Monday morning!  Lighten up and accept the good with the bad I say

Games are decided by the 400 odd possessions that a skilled side can provide... along with top level coaching 

The umpiring decisions just reset the mind ...

'Ok, they've got it so what do we do now?  Or, we've got it so what do we do now?

I've always thought that the umpiring decisions (by and large) only play a small part in the sport. 

Good teams win, poor teams lose.  A boring evaluation? Maybe, but it's true

2 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

The umpiring isn’t some conspiracy against certain clubs, that’s absurd. The general standard is quite poor though. I think the AFL needs to invest heavily in umpiring but that seems unlikely. I find the inconsistencies across a season head scratching.

How about players' inconsistencies? Missing set shots from 25m out, dropped marks, fumbles, missed tackles?

Umpiring errors do happen but they can't be perfect either.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ha ha!  Well I work with cash a bit so you'll have to accept the folding stuff deevs

But my wallet won't be seeing any action as you'll never be able to provide any proof that the umpires actually cheat haha

Anyway, just a bit of fun on a Monday morning!  Lighten up and accept the good with the bad I say

Games are decided by the 400 odd possessions that a skilled side can provide... along with top level coaching 

The umpiring decisions just reset the mind ...

'Ok, they've got it so what do we do now?  Or, we've got it so what do we do now?

I've always thought that the umpiring decisions (by and large) only play a small part in the sport. 

Good teams win, poor teams lose.  A boring evaluation? Maybe, but it's true

Macca can you tell us why the push in the back to JVR wasn't paid. It's the inconsistency that gets to people.

17 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

The umpiring isn’t some conspiracy against certain clubs, that’s absurd. The general standard is quite poor though. I think the AFL needs to invest heavily in umpiring but that seems unlikely. I find the inconsistencies across a season head scratching.

I blame the game itself ... numerous grey areas and often a lot of congestion (not on Friday night though - an excellent game)

And ill-defined rules left, right & centre.  There's no other sport like it ... nothing comes close

Over the years we've made the game more and more difficult to officiate.  It's a harder game to umpire now than it ever was

But the umpires are the visible ones making the decisions ... we're not interested in delving into the why's and wherefore's.  Just the A-end of the problem

So what do we do?  We blame the umpires.  Which is largely an unintelligent thing to do

And I do not love umpires nor do I feel sorry for them ... but I do often wonder why anyone would want to do it

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2