• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

Sorry but Mars bars are from the Mars confectionary company, cherry ripes are cadbury.

Double take originally MacRobertson’s and uniquely Australian. Gone like Speedo’s to the imperialist multinational entity.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

The tricky thing is, its not so much the noise that's the distraction, its the internal experience that shows up when the noise is there... that's the thing to focus on....

Time to get my nerd on...

Experiential avoidance, from an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) perspective, refers to the tendency to avoid or suppress uncomfortable thoughts, emotions, sensations, or experiences. It involves efforts to escape, minimize, or control distressing internal experiences, leading individuals to engage in behaviors that may provide short-term relief but often interfere with long-term well-being and life goals.

In the context of an AFL footballer and exposure therapy with crowd noise, experiential avoidance may manifest as an athlete's attempts to avoid or suppress anxiety, fear, or performance-related thoughts and emotions associated with playing in front of a large and noisy crowd. This avoidance can lead to various unhelpful behaviors such as distraction, negative self-talk, excessive focus on performance outcomes, or even avoidance of situations that trigger anxiety, such as actively seeking to avoid playing in stadiums with boisterous crowds.

The primary goal of exposure therapy is to gradually and systematically expose individuals to anxiety-provoking situations or stimuli while preventing avoidance behaviors, allowing them to develop new responses and beliefs about those situations.

For an AFL footballer struggling with crowd noise, exposure therapy might involve a step-by-step process that gradually exposes the athlete to increasingly challenging crowd noise situations. Here's a possible progression:

1. Education and psychoeducation: The athlete would be educated about the role of experiential avoidance and how it can hinder performance and well-being. They would learn about the principles of exposure therapy and how it can be helpful in managing anxiety.

2. Creating a fear hierarchy: The athlete and their therapist would work together to create a list of crowd-related situations that provoke anxiety, starting from the least anxiety-provoking to the most challenging. For example, the hierarchy could include situations like practicing in front of a small group of people, participating in intra-club matches, or gradually playing in stadiums with increasing crowd sizes.

3. Systematic exposure: The athlete would begin with the least anxiety-provoking situation, such as practicing in front of a small group. They would intentionally expose themselves to the crowd noise while practicing specific skills, with the therapist helping them stay present and engaged in the moment rather than avoiding or suppressing their anxiety. Over time, they would progress to more challenging situations in the fear hierarchy, gradually building resilience and tolerance to crowd noise.

4. Mindfulness and acceptance: Alongside exposure, the athlete would be encouraged to cultivate mindfulness skills and acceptance of their internal experiences. This involves observing their thoughts and emotions without judgment, allowing them to come and go without trying to suppress or control them. Mindfulness can help the athlete stay present in the moment and avoid getting caught up in unhelpful thoughts or attempts to avoid discomfort.

5. Values-based action: Throughout the process, the athlete would be guided to connect with their core values and commit to actions aligned with those values. This helps them develop a broader perspective on their experiences and motivates them to engage in the behaviors necessary for growth and performance, despite the discomfort associated with crowd noise.

That'd be an invoice of $125,000 thanks. 😆

Nicely posited but Golly, I could see these approaches being very useful with many Dees players since '64; in fact, these tenets possibly could have made Gysberts a run-away champion! Sadly, he didn't get very far past  'run-away'.

1 hour ago, forever demons said:

Just on kicking for goal.The around the corner kick used so often today was not invented by todays players or of recent times.There was a bloke from Richmond who came to MFC who did, name Blair Campbell 1960s i think?Good cricketer for vic as well

I think Blair Campbell is credited with inventing the "banana kick" (aka, "checkside"). I don't know who invented the round the corner kick, but Steve Johnson from Geelong appears to be getting a lot of credit for it. Whether that's for inventing it, perfecting it, or for growing its popularity amongst modern players I'm not sure. 

• Like 2

Just now, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think Blair Campbel

A lovely man, passed away a couple of years ago. Revered within the Richmond FC community - tenuous link through hanging out with one of his sons and drinking far too much with him...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

JJ or Taj?

Head says JJ is the safe choice, but we need zip and energy around the ball.

I'd reckon that JJ's positioning would considerably reduce an over-reliance on 'zip and energy around the ball' provided our midfielders can spot him - or do intend to spot him. He is a very good island in midstream flows and has great disposal when mobile.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

banana kick" (aka, "checkside").

also, that's all about experiential avoidance... just to keep the nerd vibe going. Going with what's comfortable won't solve the discomfort at the pointy end of the season when [censored] really matters to you and you dont want to [censored] up a set shot.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Does this mean 5 or 6 Pies players will charge up to the dees coaches box and clobber Goodwin instead of Langdon?  Anything is possible.

No, but their supporters might!  😀

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think Blair Campbell is credited with inventing the "banana kick" (aka, "checkside"). I don't know who invented the round the corner kick, but Steve Johnson from Geelong appears to be getting a lot of credit for it. Whether that's for inventing it, perfecting it, or for growing its popularity amongst modern players I'm not sure. 

Blair used to teach me how to do 'the banana' kick at Central Park (Malvern) when I was a little fella. He'd train/run there a couple of times per week. It added a whole new string to my bow - I used to drop kick for distance, stab pass for accuracy and only had a weak mongrel punt prior to that contact. 

10 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i don't like this as it means we ARE treating the game differently to any other

You would be mad not to. There will be 90000 people there. The noise will be a major factor.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 8:27 PM, Redleg said:

You wonder how De Goey gets 3, for concussing his victim, putting him out of that game and the next and Kozzie gets 2 for no injury at all to his victim and he jumps up smiling and pats Kozzie on the bum.

How is it only one more for De Goey in those circumstances?

Surely it’s only 1 for Kozzie, or 4 at least for De Goey.

No wonder the system is a farcical disaster.

Surely you forget who Christian the Unbiased played for?  I know, it was not his penalty - this time. But it was for Kozzie   

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I’m realistic. 
They are in much better form than us.

They've won more games than us.

But i'm sorry jaded, suggesting they are I'm much better form than us is not being realistic.

It may be your opinion, but objectively it is simply not true.

One assumes you wouldn’t have said that after we demolished the hawks. 

So by much better form, I assuming you mean the last three games.

Have you watched their last 3 games?

They were scrappy against the blues, lucky to win and the 3 goal margin flattered them with the blues kicking a wasteful 7.15.

They were scrappy against the roos,who put six goals past them in the last quarter to go down by 35 points.

And as I noted above, they were very average against the Eagles who were two down on the bench, and still outscored them in third and won cp and the inside 50 count.

• Like 8

The Collingwood chant recording is Adelaide Crows camp areas. It’s out in the media. Will just rev up the filth more.

I’d love to see a small fwd out for more midfield depth in Jordan seeing Joel smith is a tall that can actually provide some pressure. 

7 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

The Collingwood chant recording is Adelaide Crows camp areas.

Yes totally comparable to a weekend long camp that traumatised Indigenous players and attacked players who had lost family members. Totally comparable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

This just went from a possible loss to a probable loss

No Clarry and no Petty for the most important H&A game of the season. Typical rubbish Melbourne luck.

No Smiling Assassin, no Petracca Gone Wrong and no Howe Didn't I Win The Car even the ledger up.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, old55 said:

No Smiling Assassin, no Petracca Gone Wrong and no Howe Didn't I Win The Car even the ledger up.

Kmart Petracca likely on his way to Aldi Santorini by now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, binman said:

They've won more games than us.

But i'm sorry jaded, suggesting they are I'm much better form than us is not being realistic.

It may be your opinion, but objectively it is simply not true.

One assumes you wouldn’t have said that after we demolished the hawks. 

So by much better form, I assuming you mean the last three games.

Have you watched their last 3 games?

They were scrappy against the blues, lucky to win and the 3 goal margin flattered them with the blues kicking a wasteful 7.15.

They were scrappy against the roos,who put six goals past them in the last quarter to go down by 35 points.

And as I noted above, they were very average against the Eagles who were two down on the bench, and still outscored them in third and won cp and the inside 50 count.

The 3rd quarter against West Coast was their worst quarter across all those games mentioned. They looked like pee-wee racers, they got it together in the last but by then the Eagles had fired their shot and were running on fumes. 

They're a good side for sure, but they're far from the best 11-1 side I've seen. If it bleeds we can kill it.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

wrong.Did the round corner from the pocket.stuff steve j

Sorry @forever demons but I think you'll find that @La Dee-vina Comedia is on the money here.

Blair Maesmore Campbell (20 August 1946 – 3 November 2020)[1] was an Australian rules footballer and cricketer.

Campbell played first-class cricket for Victoria and Tasmania as a slow left-arm wrist-spin bowler and right-handed batsman. He also played in Victorian Football League for both Richmond and Melbourne Football Clubs during the 1960s.

Campbell is considered one of the earliest exponents of the banana kick.[2][3]

• Like 1

Unfortunate Clarry can't play but them's the breaks. We'll just have to go with Plan B. Pies aren't in great form so no reason to think we can't win it without him. Trac will lead the way again just like he did against Carlton.

20 point win coming up. go Dees.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Sorry @forever demons but I think you'll find that @La Dee-vina Comedia is on the money here.

Blair Maesmore Campbell (20 August 1946 – 3 November 2020)[1] was an Australian rules footballer and cricketer.

Campbell played first-class cricket for Victoria and Tasmania as a slow left-arm wrist-spin bowler and right-handed batsman. He also played in Victorian Football League for both Richmond and Melbourne Football Clubs during the 1960s.

Campbell is considered one of the earliest exponents of the banana kick.[2][3]

AII of that is true but i am also correct