PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

11 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Swap it for a 'Decent' android and you will never have to ask about such things again!

Oh boy, someone get a can opener for these worms! 😄

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Brodie up against his old side this week…

Lachie Hunter, BBB, Tomlinson, Maysie, Ricky Lever and Langers all won their first game against their former side.

Just sayin’ 

edit: Langers comes with a question mark. Going by memory alone. 

edit: I forgot Hibbo and Melksy!

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

12 hours ago, Redleg said:

1. My DL writing on iPhone has gone small.

2. How do I get it back to what it was?

1. Shrinkage? - it's not that cold.....

2. An age old question - I'm sure your customised ads are now promoting enhancment pumps and salves

• Haha 2

Selection will be interesting assuming Oliver and Hibberd come in.

I think there's two alternatives 

Retain Tomlinson as one of 3 tall backs. Hibberd replaces Bowey. Oliver pushes out Chandler or Spargo. Petracca and Sparrow play more forward time.

Hibberd replaces Tomlinson. Brayshaw goes back to replace Bowey. Oliver replaces Brayshaw in the middle.

I prefer the first but I suspect it will be the second.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

16 hours ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Oliver definite if fit, and probably Hibberd, even though without Bowey our backs will be slower.

People should not expect Kossie to be everywhere.

There could be a surprise in for us if weather fine. Maybe even in the middle.

Like some others, not too fazed about this game, and i would not be surprised to see different styles of delivery into the forward line, quite early in the piece..

I don’t think people are expecting him to be everywhere. Just hoping for somewhere, rather than frequently nowhere. I do have a feeling he’s gonna lift on Monday though. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Oh boy, someone get a can opener for these worms! 😄

Yep thought about that afterwards.... potential thread destroyer

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Yep thought about that afterwards.... potential thread destroyer

DD, if allusions to enhancers and salves and shrinkage haven’t killed this thread, nothing will. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

17 hours ago, DubDee said:

Agree. sounds like the most likely scenario.

Can't see Tomlinson going out if there isn't another tall to bring in, Petty really the only option. 
Our backline looked the most inpenetrable it has in weeks with the three tall defenders. We gave up 44 points to a team with 2 Coleman medallists and Lever took 12 intercept marks 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WalkingCivilWar said:

DD, if allusions to enhancers and salves and shrinkage haven’t killed this thread, nothing will. 😁

Clearly i have not being paying much attention to much of this thread then WC and missed a number of uhhh ... highlights & maybe a few lowish ones!   Not unusual for me though :wacko:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JJR said:

Stay in WA.

I plan to. 

Spargos game on Friday was infuriating imo. I'm usually a fan but last couple of weeks have been sub-spargo. 

• Like 1

I think the number of talls we play in our backline for any given game depends on the style of forward entries we suspect our opponents will use.  Most teams have been preferring to prioritizse getting the ball to ground to negate our intercept marking, so more often than not this year we have only played 2 tall backs (typically May and Lever when both available). 

Carlton, with Curnow and McKay, were always going to try the aerial route which is why we went with 3 talls.  I suspect Collingwood will be more inclined to be happy with messy entries and getting them to ground, so I think it will be back to just May and Lever.  So for mine it will Tomlinson going out, replaced by Hibberd and with Gus and Rivers playing more minutes back than they have been recently to cover for Bowey.  Our backline will contain 7 (May, Lever, Hibbo, Gus, Rivers, Salem and McVee) which is back to our premiership backline size.

In:  Oliver, Hibbo

Out: Bowey, Tomlinson

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Interesting discussion about Tommo. He's obviously not a great player, but I think he should stay at least until Petty comes back. I agree with the comments made by others that with him in the side, it frees up Lever to do his best work. Lever shouldn't play on Mihocek or Cox (when forward). He can play on a small.

I think that Hibbert should line up on Elliott.

So, it's Oliver/Hibbert in. And Bowey out. So, the second out? Either Chandler/ANB/Spargo. The FD won't drop ANB ... my thought is Spargo ... he seems to be doing odd things ... running round in circles. I wouldn't drop Kozzy, although his form has been poor he is a potential match winner. I'd give him the occasional run on the ball to get him into the match. 

I'm a bit concerned about Gus' form. His disposal has been quite a bit off. 

• Like 2

In relation to Gus, he, like a lot of others are not being protected around the head, and it is showing that they are frustrated by inept decisions, in pack and stoppage situations, that always get paid to others.

In other words they do not pose for frees because they are not going to get one anyway.

I’ve been contemplating the talls and Moore conundrum. I think we stick with Smith, play him low minutes with high energy to hopefully sit on some heads and provide some pressure.

Ask for a big effort from JVR, Gawn and Grundy to up their minutes.

But if we were to go a different route there’s 2 options:

1. Schache, and, controversially have him match ruck minutes with Cox. Allow Gawn to play almost full time forward and get in a rhythm in that role. He’s our only hope of countering Moore directly.

2. Go small, use Sparrow and Petracca at times as extra medium forwards. Bring in our next best mid/forward with some pace and commit to running/switching footy that avoids the long bomb as much as possible. The player best suited to come in for that role to me is Woewodin.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

48 minutes ago, Vipercrunch said:

I think the number of talls we play in our backline for any given game depends on the style of forward entries we suspect our opponents will use.  Most teams have been preferring to prioritizse getting the ball to ground to negate our intercept marking, so more often than not this year we have only played 2 tall backs (typically May and Lever when both available). 

Carlton, with Curnow and McKay, were always going to try the aerial route which is why we went with 3 talls.  I suspect Collingwood will be more inclined to be happy with messy entries and getting them to ground, so I think it will be back to just May and Lever.  So for mine it will Tomlinson going out, replaced by Hibberd and with Gus and Rivers playing more minutes back than they have been recently to cover for Bowey.  Our backline will contain 7 (May, Lever, Hibbo, Gus, Rivers, Salem and McVee) which is back to our premiership backline size.

In:  Oliver, Hibbo

Out: Bowey, Tomlinson

Agree with all you’ve written there and we should structure up differently depending on opponent, ant least trying it throughout the year as we learn a bit more leading up to finals. Our premiership backline had an extra tall though; Petty in place of one of the smalls. That structure works best for us as it helps free Lever to intercept, and our game is based around scoring for defensive turnovers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

Interesting discussion about Tommo. He's obviously not a great player, but I think he should stay at least until Petty comes back. I agree with the comments made by others that with him in the side, it frees up Lever to do his best work. Lever shouldn't play on Mihocek or Cox (when forward). He can play on a small.

I think that Hibbert should line up on Elliott.

So, it's Oliver/Hibbert in. And Bowey out. So, the second out? Either Chandler/ANB/Spargo. The FD won't drop ANB ... my thought is Spargo ... he seems to be doing odd things ... running round in circles. I wouldn't drop Kozzy, although his form has been poor he is a potential match winner. I'd give him the occasional run on the ball to get him into the match. 

I'm a bit concerned about Gus' form. His disposal has been quite a bit off. 

I wonder if given his tank, Goody gives ANB first shot at run-with all over the ground on N.Daicos. He must be made accountable and bumped/pushed etc at evry opportunity. he's not going to outrun Nibbler?

• Like 7
  • Thinking 1

It's possible Collingwood select Mihocek, McStay, Cameron and Cox. Plus Elliott. They all played when fit earlier in the season (before McStay, Cameron and Cox went out with their various injuries).

They could have three talls at any given time.

If we drop Tomlinson for Hibberd, both Hibberd and May will have to play tall and Elliott will have to be taken by...who?

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

Just now, titan_uranus said:

It's possible Collingwood select Mihocek, McStay, Cameron and Cox. Plus Elliott. They all played when fit earlier in the season (before McStay, Cameron and Cox went out with their various injuries).

If we drop Tomlinson for Hibberd, both Hibberd and May will have to play tall and Elliott will have to be taken by...who?

McVee maybe with some handover to Rivers will be on Elliott regardless.

Hibbo isn’t up for chasing the smalls these days.

If McStay comes in then I’m tipping Ash Johnson comes out. 4 tall forwards is unlikely. 

I’d still rather play Hibberd on McStay or Mihocek than give that job to Tomlinson. Better to give away height than to give away mobility. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I hope Elliot doesn't play. 

• Like 2