PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

14 hours ago, monoccular said:

WWS - JVR isn’t JW. 

No M hes definitely not but i bet they target him. Its their modus operandi.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 1

On 6/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, At the break of Gawn said:

I’m not a big fan of a continuous revolving doors forward set up, but Schache has had two pretty good weeks in a row in the VFL, while Smith didn’t do a whole lot on Friday. I understand the need for role players, but you can’t just rely on Fritsch to kick a bag when you’ve got JvR averaging 1 a game and Pickett the same. 

With Moore and Frampton both being >200cm then surely Goodwin brings in Schache to help with our height down there with Grundy/Gawn. You’d think then that Murphy takes JVR, Maynard on Fritsch, and Quaynor on Pickett.

Ins: Schache, Hibberd, Jordon (sub)

Outs: Smith, Bowey, Harmes.

No Oliver?

1 hour ago, layzie said:

We need to get in the face of that big American. I'm sick of him getting a free run at our guys it's about time we made him a bit uncomfortable. 

It doesn't take much for him to get stirred up as well. I think we should be highlighting his treatment of Max ie knees in the back, belting the back of his head and bombarding media with talking ooints so that some of it has to get passed the umpiring fraternity. Maybe just maybe we can get some equal treatment for Max from the umpires.

Just of JVR, he has a short fuse (only because he hasn't learnt to deal with the attention he is now attracting) so other players need to be aware that they have to be close to him if and when he is set upon and get him out of any situation where he might retaliate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, At the break of Gawn said:

I’m not a big fan of a continuous revolving doors forward set up, but Schache has had two pretty good weeks in a row in the VFL, while Smith didn’t do a whole lot on Friday. I understand the need for role players, but you can’t just rely on Fritsch to kick a bag when you’ve got JvR averaging 1 a game and Pickett the same. 

With Moore and Frampton both being >200cm then surely Goodwin brings in Schache to help with our height down there with Grundy/Gawn. You’d think then that Murphy takes JVR, Maynard on Fritsch, and Quaynor on Pickett.

Ins: Schache, Hibberd, Jordon (sub)

Outs: Smith, Bowey, Harmes.

No way they drop Smith. Goodwin is primed for Collingwood and bringing Smith in as a defensive fwd on Moore is what will happen. It's the same role he has used Petty for previously.

And they won't let Daicos take the kick ins and run and receive the hand off either.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Are we letting Lingers near a microphone this week? I would 😂

He is banned for life after his comments on both Freo and Collingwood.

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

He is banned for life after his comments on both Freo and Collingwood.

Coz we all know how a cheeky little comment from one player can determine the outcome of a game.

Give him his own pre-match presser, I say!!!

• Love 2
  • Haha 4
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Simply cannot let Cox run and jump at the ball. Must get body on him.

Cox is chest weak ...  aim low, below the clavicles (collar bones) and hit with a shoulder, square-on with foot movements away from the target, rather quickly. Keep the head down - don't stop to help him up. Give it 4-5 seconds then ask '...are you ok?' One might not be enough. Someone else can give him one, just to finish the job. He's also pyss weak below the knees, and has a poor centre of gravity; thus, a timely yet firm hip clash will interrupt his centre of gravity - outside the base of support (feet) - and he will topple. Worth a practice at the training run. 

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Liking the comments 

will have two changes I think Oliver and Hibberd. No others 

I like Tomlinson down back with Salem playing better. McVee as well.  It’s settled.

up forward Smith did OK created and moved. Bit like Tmac used to do,  it’s pretty much settled. 

hope the mids kick it in front of them. 

if you remember it was only one maybe two very wrong umpiring decisions in the last 5 minutes that helped us lose. Tmac still has a sore head….

and port are in red hot form . We are their equal.   Good enough to beat the pies .

wish I could watch   Only listen ABC on the way home.    Go Dees make the replay one to watch 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Cox is chest weak ...  aim low, below the clavicles (collar bones) and hit with a shoulder, square-on with foot movements away from the target, rather quickly. Keep the head down - don't stop to help him up. Give it 4-5 seconds then ask '...are you ok?' One might not be enough. Someone else can give him one, just to finish the job. He's also pyss weak below the knees, and has a poor centre of gravity; thus, a timely yet firm hip clash will interrupt his centre of gravity - outside the base of support (feet) - and he will topple. Worth a practice at the training run. 

Need to also some how stop him from using the knee in ruck contests. Has a habit of leading with the knee then may look at the ball. Trust the Umps keep a close eye on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, layzie said:

We're not letting Lingers near a barbershop let alone a microphone. 

Reckon they'll boo him a year later? 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Pickett stopped Saad do this exact thing. 

pickett's game on Friday is underrated for this reason. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, praha said:

pickett's game on Friday is underrated for this reason. 

Picket to make "friends" with Daicos ?? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

As my old coach used to say..........

22 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Smith was playing a decoy role. All he needs to do is keep Moore away from the contest as much as possible to stop him from intercepting the ball. 
Being that he spent many seasons in defense, I would hope he could do that to some degree. 

While he didn’t impact the scoreboard, Weitering also didn’t have a dominant game so it was a win. 

Moore is no dummy. If Smith is playing decoy he will recognise that in seconds and peel off to create out numbers. Will only work if Smith runs hard to make space, in dangerous positions and we actually kick the ball to him. 

Melksham would be a risk but he may actually be a better option as a decoy because he knows where to run and can bullet the ball 55m. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, loges said:

You would think Collingwood's style would be very susceptible to turnover if the opposition can apply enough pressure.

100% agree and i think this is perhaps their biggest vulnerability.  

In some ways this is similar to the dog's vulnerability in 2021 and 2022 (i think they have addressed it better this year) where they relied on handball chains out from the contest and then in transition. Each handball is link in the chain that is at risk of breaking under pressure.

The pies also use handballs to chain out from contests. The difference is they are more looking to get it to one of their elite kicks in space than keeping the handball chains going (which they'll still do if necessary).

And then their elite kick takes on high risk, high reward kicks that, when they come off, set up gilt edged scoring opportunities.

That kick is a critical part of their method, but even for the best kick super intense pressure make them much harder to make.

And for all the, justifiable, talk of the pies' brilliant last quarters, skill and exciting method, the fact remains they went two losses, one win in last year's finals, losing to the Cats and Swans in high pressure games - and turning the ball over in key moments in both games. 

Sidebottom out is huge i think because he is one of their four truly elite kicks (Daicos x 2, Sidebottom and Pendles).

De Goey is huge out because of his power, ability to tun the game and his brilliance at stoppages and in the contest.

But he is also an excellent field kick, so that's two better than average kicks out of their side, which will make their high-risk kicking game all the more susceptible to pressure. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

As is ours.....

Really, I don't think we commit to as many players running forward with the ball carrier as they do.