Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Farewell James Harmes


dazzledavey36

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, poita said:

Given that Dunstan is our only genuine midfielder at Casey, losing Harmes would have a significant impact on our midfield depth.

I'm yet to be convinced that Laurie is going to be a long term AFL player, and neither Howes or Woewodin is beating down the door, but none of these are onballers anyway.

We need to be heavily investing in the midfield in this year's draft. 

There is still approx 12 games plus any Finals and as usual some D/Lers are ( as is their rite but it's a painful read of speculation and predictions to judge many times). We have seen JJ and Harmes take the slow way and alternatively Bowser and Judd McVee the fast track to AFL pedigree. 

Jury still out on Howes Taj Deakyn Laurie etc. who can grab the gap to AFL team with 5/6 good games and come in for an injury maybe and voila so we can't discard some who are still on the journey and indeed keep some here in the 24 to 30 category for real and authentic depth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

It’s not just my view.

But… last week I was taken to task on the subject of what one of our players had said on a particular subject. It wasn’t pleasant, therefore I’m loath to go into anything in any sort of detail, suffice to say Harmesy’s personal issues have nothing to do with him getting or not getting a game. 

Sounds a bit murky.  I'm not sure whether you mean taken to task on here or elsewhere but nvm.  All good WC thanks for the feedback.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JTR said:

 

5 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Must be a slow news day for the media. 

Let's look at a few things. 

He is contracted until the end of next year
He is a premiership player
He grew up a Melbourne Supporter
He has many close friends at the club
He got snubbed by Brad Scott at the end of last year.

Nothing to see here, move along people. 

Right? Some journo has only a single brain synapsis firing, needs to meet a publication deadline, has donuts story-wise so phones this old chestnut in. Why now? What’s changed? Answer: a grand total of NOTHING. Nothing’s changed. This thread is reminiscent of the Rival Clubs Circling Weids thread. And as was the case with that thread, we’re slowly starting to see the insincere, patronising (and premature) plaudits that are customarily bestowed on much-maligned players when it appears their time as a Demon is nearing the end. Moreover, you can bet these posts will come from the very people who bagged him all along. 

*returns to the puppy thread to remember all that’s good in the world*

  • Like 3
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Sounds a bit murky.  I'm not sure whether you mean taken to task on here or elsewhere but nvm.  All good WC thanks for the feedback.

It was on here. I was made to feel like I was making [censored] up. I snapped back at the implication and was told to calm down. All good, it’s character-building I guess. 
🤷‍♀️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gee whiz 

Appears you can't have a decent footy related discussion on here without the same usuals coming on here beating their chest telling you what you should or shouldn't write on a footy related discussions. 😅

 

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

That's where he and James Jordan will be playing in 24 i suspect. maybe Tommo as well. 

You can make a case that a few clubs could use Tommo as an experienced depth and would certainly play more senior games elsewhere. 

Essendon, WB and Hawthorn are 3 that come to mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Please watch more VFL.
Laurie has shown plenty at that level and Woey is developing nicely. 

Have watched plenty. Laurie is not AFL standard. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would be surprised if Harmes left or we wanted him to. I am going to say he will sign a new contract. Just a feeling!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You don't get it do you?

You actually just named a good player in Jackson leaving our club for bigger coin and family. That's a good player right there leaving after success.

Harmes literally said yes to meeting to meeting up with Essendon last year.

That's pretty much him saying he was up for a change of scenery purely because he wanted more senior opportunities playing as a full time midfielder and he could foresee that his opportunities playing midfield at Melbourne was drying up.. which it has now.

The only reason his not in Essendon colours this year is because Scott didn't bother to turn up to the meeting that Josh Mahoney organised with Harmes.

Believe it or not some players actually don't want to be the 24th player at the club when they know they'd be best 22 at another club. Funny that huh?

I noted Jackson and Bedford because they were both players we wanted to keep. 
Yes Harmes said yes to a meeting. Players say yes to meetings all the time, doesn't mean they are going to leave.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

How is Jed Adams tracking.

Have heard nothing about him He is Out of contract next year Second round pick wasn't he?

Played his best game for Casey.

Looks to be developing nicely.

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd think there is something to this story. He sounds like he's been having a rough trot lately. Whatever the issues he’s been dealing with have been.

I love Harmsey and I’d love nothing more than him to force his way back into the team, I do feel he’s worth having on the list and would like to hang on to him but I can see the other side. He’s found himself in a position where he doesn’t quite offer enough in terms of what our system requires. 

He still has time but I wouldn’t begrudge him exploring his options at season’s end. Will always be a key member of our success and much loved. 
 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You can make a case that a few clubs could use Tommo as an experienced depth and would certainly play more senior games elsewhere. 

Essendon, WB and Hawthorn are 3 that come to mind.

Sydney

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'd think there is something to this story. He sounds like he's been having a rough trot lately. Whatever the issues he’s been dealing with have been.

I love Harmsey and I’d love nothing more than him to force his way back into the team, I do feel he’s worth having on the list and would like to hang on to him but I can see the other side. He’s found himself in a position where he doesn’t quite offer enough in terms of what our system requires. 

He still has time but I wouldn’t begrudge him exploring his options at season’s end. Will always be a key member of our success and much loved. 
 

I don't think anyone would begrudge him leaving and most certainly will go down a premiership hero. 

But he'll be 28 next year and he has every right to look after his own backyard regardless whether people think being a Melbourne supporter will be his saving grace.

If he can squeeze another 3 years of playing good senior footballer elsewhere then it's a win for Harmesy career!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

It was on here. I was made to feel like I was making [censored] up. I snapped back at the implication and was told to calm down. All good, it’s character-building I guess. 
🤷‍♀️

Disagreements occur on this site all the time. It's what makes things interesting.  The parry and thrust can be quite stimulating and educational. There are quite a few posters who have some wonderful insights and knowledge of the game and share it in generous ways. There are also others who simply lact tact and basic manners. In effect Demonland is a of course like all social media platforms a microcosm .

Some posters can argue with you or correct you in a polite and somtimes jovial manner ( just normal life skills)and of course there are those who through pride, anger or ar5olitis ( as my dad used to so succinctly call it), just cant and for some reason feel good in putting others down.

They're not exclusive to this sight. We deal with them as the bullying boss, the surly sister, bothersome brother, narcissistic neighbour and of course the road rager.

Demonland in its foresight and wisdom has provided us with the wonderful gift of the IGNORE option.

I wish I could use it in everyday life.

For what is worth WCW, your posts are always honest, fun, informative , polite and upbeat.

I thank you for them and all the work you do for the club which is probably more than anyone else posting here.

Cheers.

  • Like 7
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Disagreements occur on this site all the time. It's what makes things interesting.  The parry and thrust can be quite stimulating and educational. There are quite a few posters who have some wonderful insights and knowledge of the game and share it in generous ways. There are also others who simply lact tact and basic manners. In effect Demonland is a of course like all social media platforms a microcosm .

Some posters can argue with you or correct you in a polite and somtimes jovial manner ( just normal life skills)and of course there are those who through pride, anger or ar5olitis ( as my dad used to so succinctly call it), just cant and for some reason feel good in putting others down.

They're not exclusive to this sight. We deal with them as the bullying boss, the surly sister, bothersome brother, narcissistic neighbour and of course the road rager.

Demonland in its foresight and wisdom has provided us with the wonderful gift of the IGNORE option.

I wish I could use it in everyday life.

For what is worth WCW, your posts are always honest, fun, informative , polite and upbeat.

I thank you for them and all the work you do for the club which is probably more than anyone else posting here.

Cheers.

You're absolutely right Deever, it is something that has been a challenge for me personally but it's the disagreements that make this place the thinking forum that it is and not the slander and hogwash you see on social media.

It can be a challenge disagreeing in text, you just miss so many important aspects of a face to face discussion. You can take the most polite responses in text as an attack if you have the wrong mindset. It's all about having the right one.

  • Like 4
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

You're absolutely right Deever, it is something that has been a challenge for me personally but it's the disagreements that make this place the thinking forum that it is and not the slander and hogwash you see on social media.

It can be a challenge disagreeing in text, you just miss so many important aspects of a face to face discussion. You can take the most polite responses in text as an attack if you have the wrong mindset. It's all about having the right one.

I resent that😀

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, layzie said:

I agree 100% but you're wrong! 😛

You’re both wrong. Only I’m right. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'd think there is something to this story. He sounds like he's been having a rough trot lately. Whatever the issues he’s been dealing with have been.

I love Harmsey and I’d love nothing more than him to force his way back into the team, I do feel he’s worth having on the list and would like to hang on to him but I can see the other side. He’s found himself in a position where he doesn’t quite offer enough in terms of what our system requires. 

He still has time but I wouldn’t begrudge him exploring his options at season’s end. Will always be a key member of our success and much loved. 
 

Won a flag with the club he supported as a boy, most don't get a fairytale like that.

Worth having on the list but guess it all depends on what how he's ranked internally, list composition, salary cap issues and simultaneously if he can prolong his career at another club. Additionally if he wants more senior minutes due to his age. 

Not sure where he stands in the midfield pecking order now, especially as Pickett and Rivers have gone through the middle a few times AND we need to fit Salem back in this team somehow. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Won a flag with the club he supported as a boy, most don't get a fairytale like that.

Worth having on the list but guess it all depends on what how he's ranked internally, list composition, salary cap issues and simultaneously if he can prolong his career at another club. Additionally if he wants more senior minutes due to his age. 

Not sure where he stands in the midfield pecking order now, especially as Pickett and Rivers have gone through the middle a few times AND we need to fit Salem back in this team somehow. 

 

It's just a state of where the club is right now in terms of the number of players who can fill his spot. I will say as a sheer tagger he's probably our best but as a mid, it's tough out there. He will always be remembered for that sweet, sweet moment on the boundary line where that helped Fritta kick that goal that sparked our comeback to win the flag. May seem a small act and a weird way to define him but boy was I grateful at the time. I hope he stays but I think it would be detrimental to his career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite happy to have Harmsey stay, I think he adds depth. 
Also quite happy for Harmsey to sign a fat final contract with a rival club, if we get good value out of it, and thank you for your service.

That GF pick-up, baulk and pass to Fritta will stick with me forever. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 33

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...