Trent Rivers Re-Signs until 2027

dazzledavey36

Amongst all the kozzie talk in regards to contract talk this one has probably slipped under the radar regarding Trent Rivers who also comes out of contract at years end.

Hoping we can get his extension soon as well.

Anyone know what this article says? It's behind paywall.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Demonland changed the title to Trent Rivers Contract Status

I will watch this space with much interest, Rivers , Picket and Jordon are high on my list of must keeps.!!!

• Like 9

given freo have recruited chapman, young and traded clark in the last 3 years id say we're safe from a freo raid and wce are so far behind that rivers would be unlikely to make that move for at least 2-3 years now but for sure theres a risk there long term, especially as he's already won the flag, and could be well paid esp by wce long term. but we clearly like him and trust him hence his increased role in the early stages of this season and exposure up the field on ball

• Thanks 2

interesting re JJ, on the fringes, already has a flag and we havent got any clear upcoming vacancies in the guts, woulda thought he'd be a low priority for us and would be happy to look elsewhere for opportunity and security

• Sad 1

Wasnt there some controversy about JJ being awarded a medallion. He wasnt in the 22 but was a medi sub who never stepped onto the ground.

He's going to feel uncomfortable at the  10  20 year reunions.

Whats your favourite footy moment in the 21 GF Jim,.....  errrrr   "celebrating with my teammates"

What else can he say,.... awkward.

Edited by Deebauched
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

I personally believe Rivers will stay, at least for another 3-4 years.

I'd like to see JJ given Harmes role, I think he's a much more consistent performer and you know exactly what you're going to get with him. Harmes maybe has a higher ceiling in regards to potential goals etc. but I'd prefer JJ.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Wasnt there some controversy about JJ being awarded a medallion. He wasnt in the 22 but was a medi sub who never stepped onto the ground.

Whats your favourite footy moment in the 21 GF Jim,.....  errrrr   "celebrating with my teammates"

Goodwin did what he thought was the right thing by not faking a sub. Of course Geelong had no such issues a year later and now the rule has changed. But JJ was a valued member of that side, he has nothing to worry about. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Deebauched said:

He played 25 games in 2021. He was a valuable member of the side that got us into the finals and to the Grand Final. Why would he feel "uncomfortable"?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Deebauched said:

Blame the AFL for that.

JJ was still a big part of the success.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, adonski said:

The RIV should be in the GUTs

I don't think he's got the tank. At least not yet. Could develop into an outside mid the way he plays but he's so so good under pressure down back in all facets.

Would be cool to see him in there tagging at some point this year (instead of harmes... please) but I think he's too crucial down back.

When Salem and maybe Hibberd return depending on matchups, Rivers with the rest make up the best backline in the comp hands down IMO.

Such an important player, our most underrated, only 21, no real weaknesses, potential future 250+ gamer.

Please sign

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Young Blood said:

I don't think he's got the tank. At least not yet. Could develop into an outside mid the way he plays but he's so so good under pressure down back in all facets.

Would be cool to see him in there tagging at some point this year (instead of harmes... please) but I think he's too crucial down back.

When Salem and maybe Hibberd return depending on matchups, Rivers with the rest make up the best backline in the comp hands down IMO.

Such an important player, our most underrated, only 21, no real weaknesses, potential future 250+ gamer.

Please sign

One question for you Young Blood: JJ or Rivers, who do you least want to lose?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, layzie said:

One question for you Young Blood: JJ or Rivers, who do you least want to lose?

It's a tough one. I think I'd have to choose Rivers for all the reasons I mentioned. Higher ceiling as a player and more damaging with his attack with the ball.

JJ is super solid the perfect supporting role player, tackling, pressure, tidy with the ball, decision making, a decent all rounder. But the difference between the two is the pace, evasiveness to break free from contests, and penetration on kicks. I think Rivers already has these traits and has demonstrated it early on this year and its where JJ is lacking.

JJ has been squeezed out by more suited wingers and even more so by Sparrow whose development has really gone up a notch his last two seasons.

All that being said can I give up Harmes' salary to re-sign JJ? 😜

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 3

Re JJ, for mine he's a borderline frindge player at the moment and by borderline, I think he's better than your average frindge player, but still not quite best 22 for us.

But a season is a long time.  Who knows what opportunities may present for JJ to get back into the team, step up to the next level and stamp himself as an undoubted best 22 player for the MFC.

I also wounder if list age profile is an important consideration for the MFC.  I personally think Harmes is currently a substantially better player than JJ as he's bigger, tougher, stronger and IMHO has much the same if not better footy attributes.  But Harmesy is also in an age bracket where I think we would have a glut of players.  If we are to avoid a Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong age bubble, I wounder if that could make it preferable to keep someone like JJ over Harmes?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Deebauched said:

Gee Debauched you put a strange attitude to situations, almost bizarre in fact. 

In 1956 or at least one of the famous 50's Grand Finals we won our 19th and 20th players did not come on the ground. 

Do you think those reserves on the bench who did not participate go to our reunions and not be proud or thankful or regarded as part of our premiership  team. 

Has society changed that much in 70 years that JJ would think like you posted. He after all played during the year and contributed. Or does society look at things in such a warped and selfish way ( like you obviously) that all team rules have gone out the window. Hate to be your son if that happened to me btw and you gave that attitude to him. 

Why is he going to feel uncomfortable at reunions? He is part of that famous 23 who got medals and Will for ever ( including  Jacko)  be heroes to all Demons fans ( except maybe you) that broke that drought. 

It's hard not being sort of personal in this post as I can't think of this situation like you have portrayed in any time nor place. 

Cricket flags are won by some players who have not batted or bowled in the match just fielded and there are 12th man involved. Want to take their reunion invite away as well? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Deebauched said:

Um . . . totally NOT awkward. The only thing that counts is what your team-mates think of you. I would suggest every one of them would want him at the 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 year reunions. And quite frankly, I'd suggest those who were not in the 23 would get an invite as well.

Suggest you talk to some players, past and present, who were/are fringe players and hear their experiences first hand @Deebauched

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

It's not apples for apples Re the salary cap situation etc, but our women's team reciently resigned pretty much the whole list bar Daisy (still irks me slightly she's now at Geelong, even though she's also MFC royalty and will be for life in my eyes) on the basis of continued success.  Really hoping we can lock in all of Riv, Kossie, JJ and Co in years to come to build a dynasty and decade or more of flags/ real success for the MGC - that's what's on offer to these guys and I don't think that would be lost on a guy like Rivers.

• Like 2

If we lost JJ and Rivers to free up $$ for Kossie then id be fine with them looking elsewhere.

Ideally i want to keep all of them, but Kossie is the only one that can't be replaced like for like.

I love Rivers but he is playing a position we have a plethora of players that can fill there, from a list management point of view we would be crazy to not look at any good offers for him! 

• Thinking 2
  • Shocked 1

I've been a massive fan of Harmes over the years. He is a very good player who has added alot of versatility to his game, brings alot of experience and is a true clubman. This said given the profile of our list I think its more important that we retaining Rivers and JJ who will be with us for the next 5+ years. I wouldn't be against the club facilitating a trade for Harmes to move to a club that could use his versatility and experience for the next few years, e.g. a Hawthorn, Essendon etc.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chookrat said:

I wouldn't be against the club facilitating a trade for Harmes to move to a club that could use his versatility and experience for the next few years, e.g. a Hawthorn, Essendon etc.

In the last trade period, the club gave Harmes the ok to look for another club.  He all but had a meeting lined up with Scott (Ess) who chose not to meet him.

He is contracted to 2024 so may look for another club this year.  Otherwise he is an Unrestricted FA next year so that may be the time he moves on.

Joining his childhood club as a rookie and winning a premiership with us would be all his dreams come true.  I doubt he would be on big $ so it would make sense to try and secure his future in both $ and years somewhere else. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

If we are struggling to fit Kossie wage into our cap then we may have to turnover a few players at the end of the season.
We already have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of a super draft. 
Bringing in young high end talent and letting some other fringe players go might make sense this year. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Um . . . totally NOT awkward. The only thing that counts is what your team-mates think of you. I would suggest every one of them would want him at the 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 year reunions. And quite frankly, I'd suggest those who were not in the 23 would get an invite as well.

Suggest you talk to some players, past and present, who were/are fringe players and hear their experiences first hand @Deebauched

And lot of people thought Jones was stiff not to get a medal. Sheesh imagine if JJ didn't.

• Love 2