Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Top Five trips to the football.


bush demon

Recommended Posts

Sometimes the (mundane) trip to the football was just as memorable as the game itself.

1. I think about 1971 Melbourne thrashed North by over 100 points. Because we had never been to this ground we were over 5 minutes late. At that stage Melbourne already had 7 goals on the board.

2. My brother and i walked from Springvale to VFL park waverley in the early 70s and we sat near the fence on the wing getting drenched and frozen. Covered ourselves in soaking newspapers. Couldn't take it any more so walked home at half-time only to discover we had gone down in a low-scoring thriller.

3. 1976, last round and we would have been a very worthy finalist. Dominated the pies at Victoria park but other games didn't go our way. Stood on the wing, elevated on cans.

4. In the mid 70s we journeyed again to the park, this time in Ray's immaculate black P76. Unfortunately Ray drove through a red light at Jell's road and put a big dint in that beautiful car.

5. This is a generic mash-up of many games: Ray and I would head straight from our Springvale under 12s game and catch a blue or red train to Richmond. Phil Rhoden would be kicking drop kicks from full back in the twos. At the ground would consume a jar of koolmints and on the way home a bag of hot donuts. At Springvale would buy 20 cents chips, a piece of flake (possibly potato cakes @5 cents each). Then wash down with can of RC cola 18 cents. Usually Melbourne lost. One highlight would be screaming loudly during the 2nd term as Dillon or Parke  performed heroics. Usually someone like Royce Hart would then take over in the 3rd quarter and we would be smashed.

 

Edited by bush demon
Sp.
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, bush demon said:

Usually someone like Royce Hart would then take over in the 3rd quarter and we would be smashed.

Did you go to that game too?  I used to dread the last quarter against the Tigers, Rolls Royce would kill us.

I have lots of memories of the strange, quirky and down right unpleasant events that happened outside of the playing of the game.

1.  My nanna had a friend (extended irish catholic family) who worked as a Corps of Commissioner on the gate at the MCC.  My nanna, 3 of her cronies and 5 grand children would gain entry using 2 ladies tickets.

2. Early in the first quarter Uncle Graeme threw his record down into the aisle in disgust, whereupon a young kid grabbed it and ran off.

3.  It was so wet at Artic Park that I watched the game through a moth hole in my beanie.

4.  As a young kid, at a packed out game, I stood up in an exciting moment for a better view. When I went to sit back down someone else was sitting in my seat.  (weird sensation that)

5.  Hot donuts - who doesnt have a story about them.  After the game I purchased 6 hot jam donuts, placed them in my coat pocket with some effort, and headed to Richmond station.  On the train (blue harris?) I pulled one out, took a bite, whereupon half a gallon of scalding jam shot out over my face and chin and down my hands.  I stood there whimpering, covered in jam, trying to reach my hanky which was under the bag of donuts.

Losing the car at Artic park, losing Father in the car park after a night game at the MCG, what DID happen to Aunty Jess and the very drunk blind man will have to wait for another day.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The round 20 2005 and round 12 2015 road trips to Geelong.

In the 2005 game we had lost 7 in a row after being in the top 2 mid season. We were heading towards one of our worst collapses in history, and were expected to lose this one in hostile territory. Being 6 goals down half way through the game didn’t help matters. However we played a scintillating third quarter and Robbo played the game of his life with 7 goals. we survived a Matt Egan shot after the siren to win an epic by 1 point.

The following week Jeff White nailed a set shot with 10 seconds left to beat the Dogs and then in the last round Travis Johnstone kicked the sealer to beat Essendon by 10 points and sneak into the finals. We lost badly to Geelong in the elim final.

The 2015 was just an unbelievable win and the making of M Gawn. I went down to this game purely in hope that we wouldn’t embarrass ourselves and we basically stood no chance as we were in just year 2 of the Roos rebuild against the all conquering Geelong. We’d also come off a Leigh Montagna goal with 5 seconds left to lose a heartbreaker the week before at Marvel.

The win was just unbelievable considering it was Enright’s 300th and we had a fair few maligned and/or VFL standard players such as Dawes, Toumpas, Matt Jones, Spencer and Aidan Riley in the side.

The round 23 2021 game would’ve topped the other two but ofcourse we couldn’t attend.

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. 88 Preliminary Final when we rolled The Blues at VFL Park. 

2. 2000 Preliminary Final when we rolled The Kangaroos at The G

3. 1990 Qualifying Final when we rolled The Eagles at VFL Park.

4. 2021 Anzac Eve v The Tigers 

5. 2004 (I think) Semi Final V The Crows (We Lost) The most amazing see - sawing final Iv’e ever been too. 40 points down at 1/4 time then something like 27 points up at 3/4 only to lose. Pretty sure Simon Goodwin was playing that night too. 

Edited by Old Man Rivers
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5. 2004 (I think) Semi Final V The Crows (We Lost) The most amazing see - sawing final Iv’e ever been too. 40 points down at 1/4 time then something like 27 points up at 3/4 only to lose. Pretty sure Simon Goodwin was playing that night too. 

fantastic game   should never have lost, needed to move a couple of players so it was not stale going into the last, but they stayed in the same spots  pizzzed me off badly but it was a great game

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Old Man Rivers said:

5. 2004 (I think) Semi Final V The Crows (We Lost) The most amazing see - sawing final Iv’e ever been too. 40 points down at 1/4 time then something like 27 points up at 3/4 only to lose. Pretty sure Simon Goodwin was playing that night too. 

2002. We were completely gassed at 3/4 time. The only reason the game was played at the G was because there was a stipulation at the time that at least 1 game each week of the finals needed to be played at the MCG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

R.7 2008. vs Fremantle (& Jeff Farmer)

We were last on the ladder with no wins. We were 51 pts down in the 2nd quarter.  Davey and Green started to fire and we reduced the deficit by 3/4 time but still more than 5 goals down and then........ Robbie and Austin Wonaeamirri went berserk. I remember Jim Stynes going into the Demon Army watching the last minutes with Ozzie's Dad as we kicked 9 in the last quarter.  Magic day in a [censored] year.

Speaking of 9 goals - Queens Birthday 2000. Jeff Farmer kicking 9 (should have been 10) in 40 minutes was the greatest individual piece of brilliance I've ever witnessed live.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Palace Dees said:

R.7 2008. vs Fremantle (& Jeff Farmer)

We were last on the ladder with no wins. We were 51 pts down in the 2nd quarter. 

Remember that game well, the Bronx cheers when Junior kicked it long out of the centre was deafening. Down by 50 odd at half time, dad turned to me and asked if we should take the early train home. Being a Sunday, I told him that I had nowhere better to be……………..sure glad we stayed for the second half!!!

It was Bails’ first win as coach too.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Remember that game well, the Bronx cheers when Junior kicked it long out of the centre was deafening. Down by 50 odd at half time, dad turned to me and asked if we should take the early train home. Being a Sunday, I told him that I had nowhere better to be……………..sure glad we stayed for the second half!!!

It was Bails’ first win as coach too.

Yeah I had no-where better to be that day either! I'd grown up with the mindset that going to Melb games even when we were terrible was still better than dealing with trouble at home. Wona's celebration is burned right into the old memory bank!

Farmer's 9 at the G against the Filth was just magic and the 2000 QF against Carlton will probably always take the cake as far as memories at that ground. Being right up the back at the Punt Rd end and seeing all those goals go through, will never forget it.

Couple of others coming to mind, Rd 6 in 2006 Fri night at the G against the Cats. It was a wet and freezing night and it really looked like they had us on toast. Enter two kids Lyndenn Dunn and Matty Bate who kicked valuable goals to pull us back into it, then in that 4th quater Josh Hunt marks to have a shot to seal it and taunted at one of our guys (can't remember who) and fluffed the kick. We come back and hold on for a great win to go 3-3 after starting 0-3. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. 1964 grand final

2. 1987 qual final against NM 118 point smashing after missing finals for 23 years.

3. 1998 v lolly blues when Ox kicked 5 goals in a quarter in comeback from 3 knee recos.

4. 2008 v freo comeback and Aussie's celebration

5. Any game with Robbie.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1     1987   Qual final against North. Walked into the rooms before the game and you could feel what was about to happen. 

2     2018   Final against Geelong. Massive crowd massive win for the club

3     2018   Final against the Hawks backing with another massive crowd

4     2000   P F against North. Big win and we started to dream we just might beat the Bombers. 

5     2006   Against The saints we looked in trouble but not as much trouble at the next ten year brought us. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jontee said:

Did you go to that game too?  I used to dread the last quarter against the Tigers, Rolls Royce would kill us.

I have lots of memories of the strange, quirky and down right unpleasant events that happened outside of the playing of the game.

1.  My nanna had a friend (extended irish catholic family) who worked as a Corps of Commissioner on the gate at the MCC.  My nanna, 3 of her cronies and 5 grand children would gain entry using 2 ladies tickets.

2. Early in the first quarter Uncle Graeme threw his record down into the aisle in disgust, whereupon a young kid grabbed it and ran off.

3.  It was so wet at Artic Park that I watched the game through a moth hole in my beanie.

4.  As a young kid, at a packed out game, I stood up in an exciting moment for a better view. When I went to sit back down someone else was sitting in my seat.  (weird sensation that)

5.  Hot donuts - who doesnt have a story about them.  After the game I purchased 6 hot jam donuts, placed them in my coat pocket with some effort, and headed to Richmond station.  On the train (blue harris?) I pulled one out, took a bite, whereupon half a gallon of scalding jam shot out over my face and chin and down my hands.  I stood there whimpering, covered in jam, trying to reach my hanky which was under the bag of donuts.

Losing the car at Artic park, losing Father in the car park after a night game at the MCG, what DID happen to Aunty Jess and the very drunk blind man will have to wait for another day.

The jam donuts .Mate of mine and i always bought them for our wives on way home via connells tavern in elizabeth st.Two very drunk blokes in charge of donuts is not a good look but it was the thought that counted.First game one year we meet at the tavern my mate only wore his fav jacket to the footy,puts his hand in the pocket ,yep the jam donuts were still there from the last game the previous year

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, forever demons said:

The jam donuts .Mate of mine and i always bought them for our wives on way home via connells tavern in elizabeth st.Two very drunk blokes in charge of donuts is not a good look but it was the thought that counted.First game one year we meet at the tavern my mate only wore his fav jacket to the footy,puts his hand in the pocket ,yep the jam donuts were still there from the last game the previous year

On a similar vein, best mate grabs his footy travel bag for a spruce up the day before round 1.  Inside was a paper bag containing 2 dim sims.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 3:03 PM, bush demon said:

Sometimes the (mundane) trip to the football was just as memorable as the game itself.

1. I think about 1971 Melbourne thrashed North by over 100 points. Because we had never been to this ground we were over 5 minutes late. At that stage Melbourne already had 7 goals on the board.

2. My brother and i walked from Springvale to VFL park waverley in the early 70s and we sat near the fence on the wing getting drenched and frozen. Covered ourselves in soaking newspapers. Couldn't take it any more so walked home at half-time only to discover we had gone down in a low-scoring thriller.

3. 1976, last round and we would have been a very worthy finalist. Dominated the pies at Victoria park but other games didn't go our way. Stood on the wing, elevated on cans.

4. In the mid 70s we journeyed again to the park, this time in Ray's immaculate black P76. Unfortunately Ray drove through a red light at Jell's road and put a big dint in that beautiful car.

5. This is a generic mash-up of many games: Ray and I would head straight from our Springvale under 12s game and catch a blue or red train to Richmond. Phil Rhoden would be kicking drop kicks from full back in the twos. At the ground would consume a jar of koolmints and on the way home a bag of hot donuts. At Springvale would buy 20 cents chips, a piece of flake (possibly potato cakes @5 cents each). Then wash down with can of RC cola 18 cents. Usually Melbourne lost. One highlight would be screaming loudly during the 2nd term as Dillon or Parke  performed heroics. Usually someone like Royce Hart would then take over in the 3rd quarter and we would be smashed.

 

I wish things would still be that cheap now, bag of hot chips is $6 now, can of cola now $3.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

2018 EF against the Cats gets a special mention from me. Never have I seen so many Dees fans at a game, the G was basically a sea of red & blue. Of the 90k that attended 60,000 would’ve been Dees supporters.

11 years of being absolutely shizenhouse will do that, it was a memorable night.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/1/2022 at 3:03 PM, bush demon said:

Sometimes the (mundane) trip to the football was just as memorable as the game itself.

1. I think about 1971 Melbourne thrashed North by over 100 points. Because we had never been to this ground we were over 5 minutes late. At that stage Melbourne already had 7 goals on the board.

2. My brother and i walked from Springvale to VFL park waverley in the early 70s and we sat near the fence on the wing getting drenched and frozen. Covered ourselves in soaking newspapers. Couldn't take it any more so walked home at half-time only to discover we had gone down in a low-scoring thriller.

3. 1976, last round and we would have been a very worthy finalist. Dominated the pies at Victoria park but other games didn't go our way. Stood on the wing, elevated on cans.

4. In the mid 70s we journeyed again to the park, this time in Ray's immaculate black P76. Unfortunately Ray drove through a red light at Jell's road and put a big dint in that beautiful car.

5. This is a generic mash-up of many games: Ray and I would head straight from our Springvale under 12s game and catch a blue or red train to Richmond. Phil Rhoden would be kicking drop kicks from full back in the twos. At the ground would consume a jar of koolmints and on the way home a bag of hot donuts. At Springvale would buy 20 cents chips, a piece of flake (possibly potato cakes @5 cents each). Then wash down with can of RC cola 18 cents. Usually Melbourne lost. One highlight would be screaming loudly during the 2nd term as Dillon or Parke  performed heroics. Usually someone like Royce Hart would then take over in the 3rd quarter and we would be smashed.

 

Lovely story. We all must have memories similar to these. For me, it was the Southern Stand, first deck at the front. A pie, maybe a hot dog later, a small hip flask of Dad's best rum stowed in a hidden spot under the duffel coat, and if lucky, a cheese and gherkin sandwich or two from Mum. Dillon, Parke, Alves, Tassy J, all absolute heroes! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

11 years of being absolutely shizenhouse will do that its was a memorable night.

Of 2 games I was never more sure of the result, it was the 2018 EF & SF. We were never going to lose those games.

Hannan’s run and goal down the wing when the entire Members side stood up and encouraged him home, Chunk’s goal, Melksham breaking the shackles and the Dorks run-on, the Weid playing out of his skin for 2 games. Giving the Weagles a cushy PF so they had the legs to comeback against the filth and Dom Sheed turning around to stick it up their fans.

Ahhh memories 🥳, 2018 really was a great year

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. 2021 GF v WB Hands Down Greatest Ever Footballing experience. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang." After 57 years of pain, its coming home."

2. 2021 EF v Brisbane- Dominated from the first bounce absolutely smashed them, our complete control of this game flattered them. Coaches and players absolutely blown away with the support in Adelaide.

3. 2018 EF v Geelong-  First final I've ever attended Electric atmosphere. 93k in attendance the G was rocking.

4. 2006 EF v St.Kilda- First Final I've ever attended and it didn't disappoint, St.Kilda and Grant Thomas sent packing. Also remembered Peter Brock passing away that day.

5. 2017 R8 v Crows The night Tmac and the Dees went bezerk, Clarry kicked a check sider in the Betts pocket won by 40. Silenced alot of crows fans that night and got some back for all the torment over the the years.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Old Man Rivers said:

1. 88 Preliminary Final when we rolled The Blues at VFL Park. 

2. 2000 Preliminary Final when we rolled The Kangaroos at The G

3. 1990 Qualifying Final when we rolled The Eagles at VFL Park.

4. 2021 Anzac Eve v The Tigers 

5. 2004 (I think) Semi Final V The Crows (We Lost) The most amazing see - sawing final Iv’e ever been too. 40 points down at 1/4 time then something like 27 points up at 3/4 only to lose. Pretty sure Simon Goodwin was playing that night too. 

I’m afraid your memory is playing tricks with you. We lost to the Eagles in 1990. I still believe it was because the draw, which delayed our match for a week, left us very flat. Even in the warmup, it was plain that we weren’t switched on. I believe that we should have won the premiership that year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

I’m afraid your memory is playing tricks with you. We lost to the Eagles in 1990. I still believe it was because the draw, which delayed our match for a week, left us very flat. Even in the warmup, it was plain that we weren’t switched on. I believe that we should have won the premiership that year.

Flat, I remember running down to the boundary line and yelling 'oi, the game actually started 15 minutes ago'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 199

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...