2022 GRAND FINAL

Demonland

2022 GRAND FINAL  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

2. 2. Who do you want to win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/22 at 04:30

52 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I suggest a lifetime ban for anyone who chooses Geelong as their preferred winner. 

C'mon Geelong!!

Couldn't stand the Swans getting a flag with all the handouts they get - priority "academy" picks Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden, Campbell, poaching Buddy using their additional COLA Salary Cap, who knows what other "ambassador" payments they get to make outside the cap? 

Plus my wife is a Cats supporter 😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

C'mon Geelong!!

Couldn't stand the Swans getting a flag with all the handouts they get - priority "academy" picks Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden, Campbell, poaching Buddy using their additional COLA Salary Cap, who knows what other "ambassador" payments they get to make outside the cap? 

Plus my wife is a Cats supporter 😜

And Geelong get no advantages of course 😂

I understand that for the sake of your marriage you must pretend like you want Geelong to win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I suggest a lifetime ban for anyone who chooses Geelong as their preferred winner. 

I did spot one in the wild last night on DL. Poor bugger thinks its 1992 and state of origin is still a thing and therefore they are legally required to support the Big-V-ictorian team. They could get a gig commentating on channel 7 with that attitude!

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 1

so many storylines, its going to be a cracking game. genuinely torn on who to go for. who bows out postgame and does it depend on the outcome? its going to be such a great week. 

Who else opened this thread with an empty hole inside. It’s like watching your ex girlfriend getting together w a new guy and your friends chatting about whether they are a good match . 

In spite of that I’m compelled to comment. perhaps to ease the wound lol. A cpl of painful  points about the cats … who I, sadly, think will win by 10 goals plus. They rested selwood and danger during the season. Danger did a mini pre season mid season. Given how he looked Fri eve and how we looked as a group in September you’d have to think that Burgess’s 21 model officially needs a redo. Thank you and all that for 21 but now we have to upgrade. 

As has been said ad infinitum they also have, very skilfully, rebuilt a game style over a summer without a blink. I sincerely hope yze ( if he’s around) and goody plus others can update and not get caught in holding on to 21. Scott did that fr too many years, I hope we’re smart enough to not do the same.  

Not about the cats but a note on the pies. They were prob the only team that could have beaten the cats this year. And that includes us. Corridor attack became the new black and runners not ruckman were pivotal. 2022 could see more teams doing it and different defensive set ups to counter it. Pause for thought as we recruit Grundy. plus just a wtaf moment,  Pies were also so much fitter than the rest of the comp. That was OUR mantle.. How? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So after much reflection, I have very little interest in this GF.

If I was to think about what is the best thing for the MFC I would say Geelong winning is.

This is a team we owned last year and they went away, licked their wounds recruited smartly and changed their game plan from the boring predictable, easy to set up against game plan they had last year. It got them close but they were found out.

Sound familiar?

We blooded 1 new young player this year for 1 game. I know that we had 9 players 22 or under to win last years GF but there was no renewal with personnel and no change whatsoever to our game plan. Boring predictable and taxing.

1. Any mystique about our much vaunted midfield was countered by many teams and is perhaps gone forever

2. Fast ball movement against us saw teams break through our impenetrable defence and avoid the intercept marking our game was built on

3. relentless pressure against us as the no 1 team saw us crumble in second halves

4. Our scoring from the back half dried up

5. Our fwd 'connection' was a disaster and nothing was done to fix it. Except moving a banged up Gawn to the fwd line which didn't work.

6. We learned nothing from our 8 defeats that were in essence identical. IN 7 of them we were ahead by at least 23 points.

7. Goodwin's mantra of not crushing teams but managing leads was a disaster once we became the worst 4th qtr team in the league bar NM and WCE.

So. A Geelong win shows what can be done by making large changes to game plan, recruiting wisely and as importantly managing workloads (which we dismally failed to do against lower sides)

And aside from that Sydney are so freaking smug, in players faces with 'toughness', pushing and shoving etc They deserve to be smacked down.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

So after much reflection, I have very little interest in this GF.

If I was to think about what is the best thing for the MFC I would say Geelong winning is.

This is a team we owned last year and they went away, licked their wounds recruited smartly and changed their game plan from the boring predictable, easy to set up against game plan they had last year. It got them close but they were found out.

Sound familiar?

We blooded 1 new young player this year for 1 game. I know that we had 9 players 22 or under to win last years GF but there was no renewal with personnel and no change whatsoever to our game plan. Boring predictable and taxing.

1. Any mystique about our much vaunted midfield was countered by many teams and is perhaps gone forever

2. Fast ball movement against us saw teams break through our impenetrable defence and avoid the intercept marking our game was built on

3. relentless pressure against us as the no 1 team saw us crumble in second halves

4. Our scoring from the back half dried up

5. Our fwd 'connection' was a disaster and nothing was done to fix it. Except moving a banged up Gawn to the fwd line which didn't work.

6. We learned nothing from our 8 defeats that were in essence identical. IN 7 of them we were ahead by at least 23 points.

7. Goodwin's mantra of not crushing teams but managing leads was a disaster once we became the worst 4th qtr team in the league bar NM and WCE.

So. A Geelong win shows what can be done by making large changes to game plan, recruiting wisely and as importantly managing workloads (which we dismally failed to do against lower sides)

And aside from that Sydney are so freaking smug, in players faces with 'toughness', pushing and shoving etc They deserve to be smacked down.

The irony is Geelong and Sydney became us and we became them!

They had two of the more controlling, tempo and defensive game plans and we were the daring and 'chaos' team (along with Richmond). 

Now Scott and Longmire take the game on and do anything to take territory.  We have gone all defensive.

But, we haven't lost the dare and attack style of the GF as it was replicated in round 23 at the Gabba.  Round 23 is what gives me hope (and confidence) that we will come back a better version of our 2021 selves.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1