CHANGES: Rd 19 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I do like the commentary on having the extra tall. Definitely agree with this as it takes load off Brown and Fritsch. 

Maybe Weid comes in for Melksham.?

JVR for mine.

Would have been an ideal entre game this week off the bench.  Opportunity lost.

• Like 1

Just now, Demon Dynasty said:

JVR for mine.

Would have been an ideal entre game this week off the bench.  Opportunity lost.

I've accepted that he won't even get a sniff this year.

Trust me, he'd be my first preference but Goody for some unknown reason is not willing to give the kids a go this year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Anyone else think Fristch should be dropped for his series of selfish play?

I’m worried about him being above our selfless culture

I’d say Fritta has been told that if he thinks he can make the shot then, take the shot. He has foofed up a couple of times and perhaps now isn’t taking the instinctive first option. Like many he isn’t at his best but is consistently our best forward and we would be crazy to drop him. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Our selfless culture has always involved 22 blokes pinging shots on goal. 

Go through the tapes since ‘21 and you’ll find so much T Mc, Brown, Harmes, Gawn, Pickett, Nibbler, having wild shots at goal. 

Fritsch adding a 3rd howler in 4 weeks isn’t good but I liked the general competitiveness of his game far better today. Think he saved himself by the way he bounced back after it. If they didn’t drop him last week why would they now?

I can only assume the coaches have been talking to him. And he is not listening. You can excuse 1 or 2 but that one today, there is no way he doesn’t see Spargo running into the goal square 

I agree, he played ok otherwise. But we need to stamp this out before finals. Maybe being dropped will get the message home?

Ins. Oliver and Petty 

outs.  Bedford and Tomlinson 

Tomlinson would be very unlucky but has to given backline structure 

Melksham might get another game purely because Bedford was woeful.  He got caught watching the opposition rather than instinctively going at the footy.  Two good passages don’t negate his overall absence.  Really disappointing because I wanted a Kozzy- Bedford combo

• Like 4

We are never dropping Fritta. Get on with it. 

Oliver and Petty automatic ins. 
Bedford wasn’t great again, so he’s a fairly easy out. 
Tomlinson however was good and deserves to stay in. So either Lever gets the week off and Petty comes in, or we play Petty forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Anyone else think Fristch should be dropped for his series of selfish play?

I’m worried about him being above our selfless culture

Had one moment but also had three goal assists and a whopping 10 score involvements. I don't think Goodwin would be at all worried.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, adonski said:

Preview of next week here it seems 

Petty can turn into a swing man but you’re setting him up for failure with the way we are haphazardly moving the footy. He would just be there for another long target on dump kicks at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

In: Oliver, Chandler/Bowey

Out: Bedford, Melksham. 

Tomlinson was exceptional today. Would be incredibly stiff to be dropped. But Petty has to come in somehow.

I wonder if sometimes I am watching a different game. I agree Tomlinson was really good today and yet some want him out. Played on a taller opponent in good form and basically dominated him.

Aside from one goal set up for him, I thought Melksham was horrible and unfortunately Bedford was unsighted.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Had one moment but also had three goal assists and a whopping 10 score involvements. I don't think Goodwin would be at all worried.

I hear you. Depends how much stock you put in team first ethos. Not just one, but three burns now. None of which he has scored

i hope they sort it out

3 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I hear you. Depends how much stock you put in team first ethos. Not just one, but three burns now. None of which he has scored

i hope they sort it out

I know where you are coming from but Petracca also has a number of 'moments' every game.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Trust me, he'd be my first preference but Goody for some unknown reason is not willing to give the kids a go this year.

I doubt a tall fwd in his first year is the answer. He has been good at times at Casey but hardly a consistent performer 

Put JVR up against AFL defenders and he’ll struggle. Let him build his game at casey 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, dee-tox said:

I know where you are coming from but Petracca also has a number of 'moments' every game.

Fair enough I’ll keep an eye out for that. No moments for Trac come to mind though. I find he leads the team first attitude. Layed several off today when he could have easily gone for goal

11 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I wonder if sometimes I am watching a different game. I agree Tomlinson was really good today and yet some want him out. Played on a taller opponent in good form and basically dominated him.

Aside from one goal set up for him, I thought Melksham was horrible and unfortunately Bedford was unsighted.

I agree with Tomlinson. It was like watching him play just before he did his knee last year. But who goes out for Petty?

Melksham was horrible. Let others on here fool you into thinking otherwise. He's an immediate out next week.

1 hour ago, BDA said:

I’m worried about Salem. Has been very out of sorts since returning from injury.

History would suggest that he's not going to get back to his near All-Australian self this year. Players who struggle after long injury lay-offs tend to keep struggling until the next pre-season, and he's had a few weeks back now with no sign of any improvement. Twice failing to clear the man on the mark shows how far off his radar is at the moment.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Unless you count Chandler (and don’t count Bedford) it’s really only Laurie and JVR who are remotely close to a game. 

I think it’s clear why Laurie doesn’t fit just yet, and even if that’s not the case he’s only starting to play consistent strong VFL footy.

I’m keen on JVR too, but he’s in the same boat of just starting to string together VFL games. Form which has coincided with a run in the ruck to get him involved in games. If he was a 3rd round pick would there be much interest in him getting a game? And if he does happen to be the messiah for our season maybe waiting until right before finals will prove to be an inspired move. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, deanox said:

We need another tall in the team, one way or another: with only one tall forward, we have no flexibility or cover across the ground at all.

I don't think Bedford is giving us enough right now, and a run in the 2s will help him apply what he has learnt and find form. 

I though Melksham did a pretty good job tbh: at his best, he plays across half forward and uses the ball well when he gets it. Today his defensive efforts were actually pretty good too, so I wouldn't be looking to rush him out.

Oliver is an obvious in.

I'd go:

In: Petty, Melksham

Out: Bedford, Oliver

I know that Goodwin has been loath to throw Petty forward, and I don't blame him: a settled back 7 is important. But the disruption has already occurred and Tomlinson performed well, so it's a good opportunity to try it out.

Edit: ok I tried laugh reacting myself here but couldn't. It's been a long day. I'll reply again without the obvious error.

I think it will go Oliver and Petty for Bedford and Melksham, the obvious selections. But what I meant to write, before the inexplicable post above was this:

In: Oliver, Petty,

Out: Bedford, Fritsch

My reasoning is that

1) I think Melksham brought a level of intensity and effort that we've been lacking (except for the Vineys) and coming into finals that should be rewarded. Leaving him in sets that example.

2) Constrastly, Fritsch isn't hitting scoreboards but not doing those things. The swap for Weid (probably one week only) is part of that example setting above.

3) Bedford is underperforming so is the easy out.

But this only works if the coaches are willing to throw Petty forward, so I think unlikely.

20 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Melksham won't be dropped.

Did enough to earn at least another week.

Yes he will and no he didn’t.

The 2 dropped handballs and poor kick to Fritta, out of his 4 possies to that point in the 3rd quarter, are the reason he can’t stay in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Melksham won't be dropped.

Did enough to earn at least another week.

One run down tackle and an over the back running toward goal scoring shot. Not sure that is enough to earn another game. Our forward set up is a real problem and I don’t think Melk is part of the solution. We got out of jail today thanks to a Kozzie master class. That won’t happen against top sides and in finals. What is the answer? I don’t know but I would have given one of Laurie, JVR, Weids a try today ahead of Melk or Bedford. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I agree with Tomlinson. It was like watching him play just before he did his knee last year. But who goes out for Petty?

Melksham was horrible. Let others on here fool you into thinking otherwise. He's an immediate out next week.

I think Melksham and Bedford go out and Lever might be a wait and see on his shoulder.

Laughable that people are suggesting Fritsch to be dropped. You don’t drop your leading goal kicker and a guy who has a good record against the Dogs.

Melksham won’t get dropped. He’s going to be a permanent fixture I think in this 2 tall set up. His tackling was great and he usually has good vision.

In: Oliver, Petty

Out: Bedford, Tomlinson (unless Lever is injured)

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 2