Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

1 minute ago, deelusions from afar said:

I seem to be a bit of an outlier from the way most people saw the game... but Grundy turned the game in the 3rd and 4th quarters when he went into the ruck.

• 3rd Quarter clock had 13:15 left, Grundy comes on with scores 6.6. 42 to 4.4.28 Carlton's way.  When Gawn comes back on it 6.6.42 to 6.4.40 Carlton's way.  No more goals in the quarter (we got two more points)
  • 4th Quarter, Max is rucking at the start when  we give up 3 quick goals resulting from 2 centre clearances (Oliver wasn't in the centre either) and another starting from a throw in.  Grundy comes on at 9.6.60 to 6.6.42 Carlton's way with 15:42 on the clock.  We kicked two goals in the next 4min period and then Max was back on.  We didn't kick any more goals from then on (though as we all know we had decent opportunities to)

Maybe Max had an injury - but the TDK / Pittonet combination seemed to trouble him.  Having Brodie in the side made a big difference.  Brodie didn't do a lot up forward but I'm not sure if Petty (or anyone else) would have made a huge difference - the game style was quite different to other weeks.  I think it's worth persisting with (maybe keep Smith forward).

Also think there's plenty of ways they can manage this better - as others have pointed out, when we're kicking in Brodie shouldn't be in the same vicinity as Max (it means he's got to mark against both their men).  Brodie also looks a bit lost when we have to defend and he's in the ruck - it just doesn't feel like they're currently maximising their strengths.  I don't think TMac is the answer - so hopefully they can get this to click the next few weeks.

On kick in’s have gawn or Grundy on the flank and the other at chb. Split their talls up a bit and have a threat for a kick up the guts

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

No room for Grundy in the team

I was thrilled to get him, but the dynamism just ain't there

Play Smith forward and allow Gawn to ruck for 95% of the time - JVR for cameo chop outs

Pretty sure this is the way it will go.

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

No room for Grundy in the team

I was thrilled to get him, but the dynamism just ain't there

Play Smith forward and allow Gawn to ruck for 95% of the time - JVR for cameo chop outs

Who takes centre bounces if Max is on the bench. If it’s JVR who is the second tall forward?

Not sure what the footy department has lined up for Grundy this year.  Time will tell.

Looking ahead, I am really keen to see how he goes next year after having two full preseasons with us. Mustn’t forget he was pretty banged up with the Pies a year prior 

Fingers crossed 

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Not sure what the footy department has lined up for Grundy this year.  Time will tell.

Looking ahead, I am really keen to see how he goes next year after having two full preseasons with us. Mustn’t forget he was pretty banged up with the Pies a year prior 

Fingers crossed 

Excellent point - he might not suit our needs right now, but will he hang around??

4 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I seem to be a bit of an outlier from the way most people saw the game... but Grundy turned the game in the 3rd and 4th quarters when he went into the ruck.

• 3rd Quarter clock had 13:15 left, Grundy comes on with scores 6.6. 42 to 4.4.28 Carlton's way.  When Gawn comes back on it 6.6.42 to 6.4.40 Carlton's way.  No more goals in the quarter (we got two more points)
  • 4th Quarter, Max is rucking at the start when  we give up 3 quick goals resulting from 2 centre clearances (Oliver wasn't in the centre either) and another starting from a throw in.  Grundy comes on at 9.6.60 to 6.6.42 Carlton's way with 15:42 on the clock.  We kicked two goals in the next 4min period and then Max was back on.  We didn't kick any more goals from then on (though as we all know we had decent opportunities to)

Maybe Max had an injury - but the TDK / Pittonet combination seemed to trouble him.  Having Brodie in the side made a big difference.  Brodie didn't do a lot up forward but I'm not sure if Petty (or anyone else) would have made a huge difference - the game style was quite different to other weeks.  I think it's worth persisting with (maybe keep Smith forward).

Also think there's plenty of ways they can manage this better - as others have pointed out, when we're kicking in Brodie shouldn't be in the same vicinity as Max (it means he's got to mark against both their men).  Brodie also looks a bit lost when we have to defend and he's in the ruck - it just doesn't feel like they're currently maximising their strengths.  I don't think TMac is the answer - so hopefully they can get this to click the next few weeks.

you stop that right now with yr logical thought and statistical data and evidence that makes me doubt myself!

i for one still think having two genuine ruckman throws out our structure but perhaps they'll give it another go this week

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Fingers crossed 

It may well become moot...but it's always ( to me )  been more about what the FD has/had planned for NEXT year etc.

This year ...imo...was always about some sort if transition. 

Agree...time will tell

Edited by beelzebub

10 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It’s no coincidence that JVR looked most lively when he didn’t have to ruck.

Id rather Roo just played a fwd role. 

I think this is all up to Max.

Again, if he has to ruck for 100 mins to be effective - he will be taking a lap of the G in the back of a Toyota before l the 2025 GF.

Can you be effective on 70 mins ruck? Can you stop talking about how much you want to make it work and just do it? Just be in each moment and positively impact it?

I would not have done this trade and I would try to get out of it but I can see the logic - there’s just one man standing in the way…

• Like 3

8 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I feel I also view the whole Grundy situation differently. Like many I thought the idea was to extend Max into the season and his career. But, I thought it was to allow Max to play more forward and Impact in the ruck when required. We know Max can produce match winning games in the ruck, but for a full season as the years get on will become much  more difficult.

I get that this requires both players to contribute in the forward line. I feel that it was decided that we were not getting enough from the combination forward and so Grundy was sent to freshen up and concentrate on some forward instructions. However, it isn't just Grundy's forward work that is the issue, but also Max. I think for the duo to work, Max needs to take more responsibility in the forward line, not Grundy becoming a forward. He needs to contribute when it's his turn but the main onus needs to be on Max's presence. Max needs to be better forward while Grundy is rucking. Then Max can be fresher for bursts and impact through the centre. 

This is as much on Max as it is on Grundy, and some great solo ruck games shouldn't hide that fact. We knew Max was great like that but it's a long season and he needs help. He won't last long shouldering the full load.

• Like 7

Anyone else watch On the Couch? Pretty much showed that Grundy barely played any minutes forward in the second half and our plan B was Smith. Basically surmised that the coaching department had given up on the Grundy plan (plan A) and went to plan B in the second half. Grundy was also targeted 0 times on Saturday night.

3 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Anyone else watch On the Couch? Pretty much showed that Grundy barely played any minutes forward in the second half and our plan B was Smith. Basically surmised that the coaching department had given up on the Grundy plan (plan A) and went to plan B in the second half. Grundy was also targeted 0 times on Saturday night.

It’s quite damning. 

52 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

image.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Eesus. Melksham as our main target? That’d be why we lost the match.

While I don’t disagree with the sentiment, the main reason I think he gets the most targets is he is the smartest forward we have atm taller than 5’9 and on slow plays - he draws the eye and the footy.

I totally understand it’s not as simple as this but I would preferred we lost on sat night moving the ball with dare and lost by 5 goals trying to fashion a forward line that can kick a winning score. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

Thankyou. 
brodie didn’t kick goals or take Hangers in the Forward Line, i get that. But he still played a very solid game. So many people have not noticed what he did. 
I would love him to kick a few goals, but he is taking load off Max very effectively. 
That can still be an asset 

i hope the Club keep persevering with number 6

• Like 9

2 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Don't disagree with the analysis, but to be fair, someone had to go forward when Hibberd was subbed on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I have no words.