• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

2 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Because it’s news about the club. What are we so afraid of? If it’s [censored] it’s [censored], but we have a highly prized recruit playing VFL 6 weeks out from finals to build ‘forward craft’. It is going to generate stories like the one Andy has linked to.

These articles...( being generous)are absolute tripe.   I understand your stance and your query but these "writings" , scribblings are pure beat up. They're the type of rubbish the sporting globe used to produce.... sensationalised bs..   no wonder that rag got torn up and spiked on a nail in outside dunnies on building sites.

Strangely....Grundy might have been able to do his craftwork earlier....except some bloke got injured.

I know you have little time for the 'experiment '... but it was never meant to produce a fwd star in an instant.  You do understand it's about transition and elongation of Maxs time ?

To be honest repuplishing this durge is no better than the original clickbaiting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

These articles...( being generous)are absolute tripe.   I understand your stance and your query but these "writings" , scribblings are pure beat up. They're the type of rubbish the sporting globe used to produce.... sensationalised bs..   no wonder that rag got torn up and spiked on a nail in outside dunnies on building sites.

Strangely....Grundy might have been able to do his craftwork earlier....except some bloke got injured.

I know you have little time for the 'experiment '... but it was never meant to produce a fwd star in an instant.  You do understand it's about transition and elongation of Maxs time ?

To be honest repuplishing this durge is no better than the original clickbaiting.

I am aware of what they were trying to do by recruiting Grundy; they were trying to make him ruck for 60% of the game and turn Gawn into something that he may never be; a ruck with an idea how to play in the forward line.

I am content with what the next few makes will hold for BG and for Melbourne. I am just not going to live in the fairyland that is thinking there is ‘nothing’ there or that this ‘was always the plan’ or that, laughably, it’s just a ruse to get him a couple of weeks off.

We are providing the content at this stage. Don’t see a point in getting upset about it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rpfc said:

Because it’s news about the club. What are we so afraid of? If it’s [censored] it’s [censored], but we have a highly prized recruit playing VFL 6 weeks out from finals to build ‘forward craft’. It is going to generate stories like the one Andy has linked to.

Thanks rpfc.

I am genuinely perplexed with some of the reactions on here, to the point where it's like they've taken it personal?

It's generating stories purely because;

1. The move in itself was controversial with the way it was handled by one of the biggest clubs in the land in Collingwood. Grundy was their heart and sole layer and spiritual leader you could say. He didn't want to go, but the club (Collingwood) made a decision based on what they thought would be beneficial for their salary cap. It's paid off them and they look like winners out of it which is fine imo. You then take into consideration with his contract situation and the money he's on and how much we were still willing to pay a quarter of it also. It created clicks at the time and is still doing so now.

2. The argument around at the time was why Melbourne? We already had one top dog in Gawn and you're genuinely bringing in pretty much the same player. I was totally against this move right from the very start because like me and a few others, I couldn't see how this could simply work. The talk was Gawn was going was to spend more time forward, but he's never shown any good forward craft in his career. We've now found ourselves in a situation where the club has identified that it simply hasn't worked yet, doesn't mean it won't ever. 

The move in itself is legit Brayden Pruess all over again. Bringing in another genuine ruckman and thinking that you'll fit them both in by playing either up forward who both don't have the forward craft ability.  I think we should at least learnt from this which unfortunately we haven't.

My last thought in all of this and have said it a few times, the move is bold by Goodwin.

He knew this was going to create a headline and could mount a case that yeah, maybe it is a distraction, but he's made a decision based on what's best for the footy club moving forward and I actually love it. 

Based on the evidence Friday night, it could turn out to be a decision that goes a long way in becoming the difference to moving us one step forward to winning the flag?

• Like 9

Brodie seems like a nice guy and good Ruck but it wouldn’t bother me if he wants to be traded in the off season. Rucks are a bit like goalkeepers in round ball football, if you are stuck behind a great player you have to move clubs to play in your preferred position.

Grundy could be AA if he played for another club. 

we can trade in a back up for Gawn 

• Like 3

Brodie is good enough to be a No 1 ruck somewhere else. The plan/experiment as sold to him doesn't appear to be working out. It might yet. There are still 6 H&A games and a finals series to go. He may decide that he is ok playing second fiddle to Max for a couple of seasons.

I think all parties entered into this arrangement with the best of intentions. If its not working nobody would blame Brodie for asking for a trade. As a club we have a proven track record of treating players fairly. I reckon we would accommodate his request. We'll come up with an alternative plan for Maxy's successor.

2024 isn’t 2023. The fact remains that Max needs to make a decision- he can swallow his pride and play FF for the next 4 years and progressively build up to 70% forward and Grundy has a place at the MFC and Max extends his career by a couple years….

Or he can continue to look lost, overbearing, out of position, and not make a fist of being a forward.

That may need to coincide with handing over the captaincy to CP5 but if he wants this to work he is going to have to be comfortable going missing for a quarter here and there because that is what playing forward means sometimes - you see it twice in 20 mins and the best plays are the ones you create with your own movement away from where the ball goes. Natural mids and rucks really struggle to get their head around that.

• Like 1

This whole “he was sold a pup” thing is ridiculous IMO. 

He’s not stupid. He knew what he was signing up for. He wasn’t forced to come here. Sure, we laid out a plan, but he’s more then smart enough to have thought “this might not work”. The risk of it not working was a risk he knew about and signed up for.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

He’s not stupid. He knew what he was signing up for. He wasn’t forced to come here. Sure, we laid out a plan, but he’s more then smart enough to have thought “this might not work”. The risk of it not working was a risk he knew about and signed up for.

The carry on is quite amazing

32 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

The carry on is quite amazing

Agreed.  Anyone would think we want him to be a KPF like Jeremy Cameron.

I'd say learning the 'forward craft' Richardson referred to is related to a specific role where he needs a few forward skills to compliment our other forwards and to not compete with them.   

To me it seems like we have identified a gap in our fwd structure/system and are looking to Grundy to fill it. 

So all this talk about Grundy not being a fwd is shallow thinking by the commentators.  Of course he isn't and won't be but he can play a role which may not be kicking heaps of goals.

And as for being traded.  A key reason he chose us was because he likes the city lifestyle and didn't want to go back to SA. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

Brodie seems like a nice guy and good Ruck but it wouldn’t bother me if he wants to be traded in the off season. Rucks are a bit like goalkeepers in round ball football, if you are stuck behind a great player you have to move clubs to play in your preferred position.

Grundy could be AA if he played for another club. 

we can trade in a back up for Gawn 

The report from Ch 7 that the Collingwood salary subsidy was only payable if he played for MFC is worrying if true.

Substantially reduces the benefit and viability of a trade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@dazzledavey36

Wasn't Preuss brought in as pure back-up? ... he only played 10 games over 2 seasons

In the end, I recall that we got pick 31 from GWS for Preuss

Later on we traded for Ben Brown with a pick around the same mark (we got pick 28 from North and North got picks 26 & 33 ... plus a swap of 4th rounders

I call that some shrewd trading

As for Grundy, he's not going anywhere as he'll eventually be the main ruckman with Gawn being retired (all things being equal)

In other words, if Grundy is somehow traded out we're going to have to trade in or develop another ruckman anyway

Why do all that when he's our player?

All we have to do is hold to the contract

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

24 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Agreed.  Anyone would think we want him to be a KPF like Jeremy Cameron.

I'd say learning the 'forward craft' Richardson referred to is related to a specific role where he needs a few forward skills to compliment our other forwards and to not compete with them.   

To me it seems like we have identified a gap in our fwd structure/system and are looking to Grundy to fill it. 

So all this talk about Grundy not being a fwd is shallow thinking by the commentators.  Of course he isn't and won't be but he can play a role which may not be kicking heaps of goals.

And as for being traded.  A key reason he chose us was because he likes the city lifestyle and didn't want to go back to SA. 

I'd like to see the club come out and say 'Grundy is in our plans both this season and into the future and we will not be entertaining any trades' just to get the media to stfu.

I genuienly despise the AFL media these days, it has become an absolute cesspool.

Edited by DistrACTION Jackson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

But given what Max has been saying, it sounds like some agreement was made. I do think that Brodie would have known nothing in footy is guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The report from Ch 7 that the Collingwood salary subsidy was only payable if he played for MFC is worrying if true.

That doesn't matter as he won't be traded, maybe just stop worrying about every bit of garbage that the media conjures up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Macca said:

@dazzledavey36

Wasn't Preuss brought in as pure back-up? ... he only played 10 games over 2 seasons

In the end, I recall that we got pick 31 from GWS for Preuss

Later on we traded for Ben Brown with a pick around the same mark (we got pick 28 from North and North got picks 26 & 33 ... plus a swap of 4th rounders

I call that some shrewd trading

As for Grundy, he's not going anywhere as he'll eventually be the main ruckman with Gawn being retired (all things being equal)

In other words, if Grundy is somehow traded out we're going to have to trade in or develop another ruckman anyway

Why do all that when he's our player?

All we have to do is hold to the contract

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.triplem.com.au/story/braydon-preuss-has-explained-why-he-went-to-melbourne-118673

"I met him at the end of the season and we got along pretty well.

"He was all for playing the two ruckmen approach.

"I wanted his thoughts on it because that was probably the most important one and he's all for it."

From the esteemed idiots at the HUN

"Brodie Grundy would be open to a move to a new club to play ruck if he cannot get back into the Melbourne side playing a combination of ruck and forward."

Beggars belief at the incredulity at their being able to fathom exactly what it is he IS at Melbourne to do.....ffs

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.triplem.com.au/story/braydon-preuss-has-explained-why-he-went-to-melbourne-118673

"I met him at the end of the season and we got along pretty well.

"He was all for playing the two ruckmen approach.

"I wanted his thoughts on it because that was probably the most important one and he's all for it."

Reality was different ... promises are never locked in as a player still has to perform

I only ever saw Preuss as a back up regardless of what was said ... with Grundy, it's a completely different conversation

Edited by Macca

18 hours ago, rpfc said:

They said this week, the comment in the post from Katrina was that ‘it was always expected BG would need VFL time’ and it just isn’t the case.

The fact remains that BG had famous issues with being effective forward and here we are asking for something we might not get.

Pretty sure Richo said it end of last year when Grundy was traded

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The discourse from On the Couch the other night was outright despicable.  After that cesspool of BS, I take what was said by Channel 7 with a grain of salt.  

Mind you, your line of "Substantially reduces the benefit and viability of a trade" - why do you want to trade him?  All that shows me is that you're buying the media BS.

• Like 1

They've barely played a dozen games together.

The idea that any of Grundy, Gawn or the club have made up their minds on the experiment at this stage is pretty hard to believe.

Grundy is more cerebral than most players, and would have come into this situation with his eyes wide open about the risks and rewards.

Let the media chase their tails with their silly stories - the real yarn is watching how it all unfolds over the coming months, at the selection table and on the field. 

• Like 10
  • Clap 1

22 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Mind you, your line of "Substantially reduces the benefit and viability of a trade" - why do you want to trade him?  All that shows me is that you're buying the media BS.

Law of marginal returns

A good key forward rewards more than a $700k second ruck who has limited ability in another position

If Max was retiring end 2024 it might be different but he's contracted until end 2025

2023/24/25 is our window

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, beelzebub said:

If i may ask... why are you peddling this [censored] ??

This is a forum discussing all things to do with the MFC and it's players. I have always posted and will continue to post anything that relates to the MFC and it's players for discussion. You can choose to agree or disagree or ignore anything that is posted.

My posting of something isn't an endorsement of that material posted. These articles are out there.

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

From the esteemed idiots at the HUN

"Brodie Grundy would be open to a move to a new club to play ruck if he cannot get back into the Melbourne side playing a combination of ruck and forward."

Beggars belief at the incredulity at their being able to fathom exactly what it is he IS at Melbourne to do.....ffs

Its not Max's last year , is it?

I don't know, do you?