Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2023 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

On 8/1/2023 at 2:03 PM, deelusions from afar said:

I remember people saying the same about us when we at our lowest ebb.  As we know, more high draft picks doesn't work on its own and understandably 

I think the AFL should be open to other options that would do more to get them moving the right direction e.g:

• Greater soft cap allocation (for a few years) for teams that have finished in the bottom 4 (for example) 3 years running.  As we know, you can have all the top picks but it doesn't matter if you don't develop them.
  • Greater salary cap (eg veterans list) (also for a finite period of time) to enable the bottom clubs to chase experienced culture building type players in the twilight of their careers.
  • Extra draft pick at start of second and third round.
  • Larger list / rookie list for teams that are stuck at the bottom of the ladder.

This is certainly something that will make a more significant and immediate impact. Perhaps its 1 or 2 players / coaches with 20-30% salary cap concessions over the life of their contract. Allows Norf to offer someone coming out of contract big $ to sign with them. Mature, seasoned veterans will do more in the short term to course correct the club, set standards and provide leadership on field than another 2 first round picks. 

• Like 1

Whether we go in with one, two or three picks there is some super talent in this pool that will help keep us in that all important window.!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RyanD said:

I find the 'player comparison' embarrassingly cringy. Half of them are based on their looks, nothing to do with how they play. E.g. if Jake Rogers were white, you can bet your life they wouldn't compare him to Touk Miller. 

I was talking about this exact thing with a fellow demons supporting mate about a week back and remembered the comparisons of:

Scully = Judd
Trengove = Bartel
Tapscott = Chapman
Strauss = Gilbee
Morton = Goddard
Watts = Riewoldt

We had a good laugh.... then we cried.  Standard.

I don't mind the idea of the comparison however to give you a bit of an idea at how the player goes.

Not sure I'd love being compared to former/current greats though.  To compare someone to Dusty and then have some crazed supporters hope this 18 year old is going to bring you 3 flags, 3 Norm Smiths and a Brownlow is asking a bit.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Vic Metro leads the way as Draft Combine list announced -

2023 AFL Draft Combine list announced

Curiously, Kynan Brown is not listed at either the national or state combine. 

Orlando Turner is attending one of the state combines.

Riak Andrew not invited to either combine which is probably not a surprise given he's only recently come back from an ACL.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Vic Metro leads the way as Draft Combine list announced - https://www.afl.com.au/news/993132

Curiously, Kynan Brown is not listed at either the national or state combine. 

Orlando Turner is attending one of the state combines.

Riak Andrew not invited to either combine which is probably not a surprise given he's only recently come back from an ACL.

Suggests that Brown won't be attracting any sort of early bid, even though he'll be coming to us (if we want him!) other clubs do take take the combine's to look as to how earlier to place their bids. So my guess is he'll sit well outside the top 40, and we might even be able to rookie him. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Suggests that Brown won't be attracting any sort of early bid, even though he'll be coming to us (if we want him!) other clubs do take take the combine's to look as to how earlier to place their bids. So my guess is he'll sit well outside the top 40, and we might even be able to rookie him. 

I don't really like us rookieing Father-Sons. ideally we take him with our last draft pick like we did with Taj Woewodin. Of course this might depend on whether we have a spare position on the main list which will of course further depend on what happens re delistings, retirements & trades. 

• Like 1

Today’s media is enraptured with Carlton forward Charlie Curnow and rightly so after his recent goal kicking feats. He was highly touted as a potential high draft pick during his draft year (2015) but a story came out just before the draft about an alleged (I stress “alleged”) indiscretion involving driving and alcohol which caused him to slide down the ranks. He was eventually picked at 12 by Carlton where his brother Ed was already a senior list player. He was the Blues’ third pick in that draft behind Jacob Weitering (#1) and Harry McKay (#10). Curnow was considered a bit of a “slider” as many pundits had him well inside their top ten.

Melbourne had two top ten picks in that year and struck it rich with their pick four in Clayton Oliver who was a bit of a “bolter” having been well outside the early top ten boards. The Demons chose Sam Weideman at #9 so our recruiters considered him better than two ultimate Coleman Medalists. 

We weren’t the only club that would be ruing the fact that they allowed Curnow to slide in his draft year - the Lions selected current Demon Josh Schache at pick 2 in the same draft.

So, when we mull over the pros and cons of trading up our multiple high draft picks, it might be worthwhile considering that not all that glitters is gold and that there can be bargains gained in looking at draft sliders and understanding why they might have fallen out of favour.

These are Rookie Me Central’s top 5 draft sliders for 2023 and they include a player who impressed when he trained with the club as one of two AFL Academy work experience trainees in the pre season. 

Bargain Hunting: The 2023 AFL Draft sliders

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

These are Rookie Me Central’s top 5 draft sliders for 2023 and they include a player who impressed when he trained with the club as one of two AFL Academy work experience trainees in the pre season. 

That would be Cooper Simpson. I was wondering what happened to him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

They are saying he will be around the 60s probably our last pick like Woey

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Today’s media is enraptured with Carlton forward Charlie Curnow and rightly so after his recent goal kicking feats. He was highly touted as a potential high draft pick during his draft year (2015) but a story came out just before the draft about an alleged (I stress “alleged”) indiscretion involving driving and alcohol which caused him to slide down the ranks. He was eventually picked at 12 by Carlton where his brother Ed was already a senior list player. He was the Blues’ third pick in that draft behind Jacob Weitering (#1) and Harry McKay (#10). Curnow was considered a bit of a “slider” as many pundits had him well inside their top ten.

Melbourne had two top ten picks in that year and struck it rich with their pick four in Clayton Oliver who was a bit of a “bolter” having been well outside the early top ten boards. The Demons chose Sam Weideman at #9 so our recruiters considered him better than two ultimate Coleman Medalists. 

We weren’t the only club that would be ruing the fact that they allowed Curnow to slide in his draft year - the Lions selected current Demon Josh Schache at pick 2 in the same draft.

So, when we mull over the pros and cons of trading up our multiple high draft picks, it might be worthwhile considering that not all that glitters is gold and that there can be bargains gained in looking at draft sliders and understanding why they might have fallen out of favour.

Both Curnow and Mackay have that mongral and want to crash packs and a touch of swagger , attitude that alot of the best forwards have. JVR has it. Weid,schace do not. Jefferson I have yet to see it ( early days). Petty has it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bates Mate said:

Both Curnow and Mackay have that mongral and want to crash packs and a touch of swagger , attitude that alot of the best forwards have. JVR has it. Weid,schace do not. Jefferson I have yet to see it ( early days). Petty has it

McKay has mongrel? Don’t think so. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Strange article on bargain hunting.  All these players will get drafted. Some have dropped due to their championships or by injury.  

Archer Reid as a ruck/forward will be in demand without doubt. Definitely Top 15 pick for me and showed bursts of ruck craft around the ground plus a role as a key forward mark and goalkicking. Bombers are most likely suitor imv   

Moir. Huge talent. Like others before him, he had shown such talent and his goalkicking is elite.  Drifted out of top 10 thoughts but he will be picked in top 25.  Crows would be his biggest fans. 

I absolutely like Philactides because he has elite skills, runs the line and makes smart decisions.  Can easily see him on an AFL list and should be top 25-30.  It’s strange he hadn’t been ranked by Twomey.  

Lorenz drifted as he was played across half back more than wing/midfield.  Still in likely top 30 picks imv outside of academy inclusions. His left foot skill is a huge plus for recruiters although his engine needs the afl preseason.  

Simpson’s injury means his out of sight but I reckon JT would have him on the list.  Good clean ballwinner, tough and likes to distribute out to runners. Could be in our frame for a pick in the 20s if it lasts.  

• Thanks 1

SVR was good today for Claremont colts, without impacting the scoreboard as he could have his workrate around the ground and contested marking was excellent 

Koen Sanchez for East Freo was good, clean at ground level, excellent decision making and inside 50 disposal/score involvements very good

Dan Curtin was outstanding in his senior debut played down back, where he’s a natural and showed why he’s so sought after. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Love 1

Reid’s game has been covered off in the Harley Reid thread, but quite a few prospects delivered today. Dan Curtin played well for Claremont’s senior team, picking up 21 touches in a loss to East Freo.

Zane Duursma continued his good form bagging 6 for Gippy in the Talent League, with Archer Reid jagging 3. Nate Caddy got himself 4 goals in a loss to GWV, who had George Stevens amongst the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Reid’s game has been covered off in the Harley Reid thread, but quite a few prospects delivered today. Dan Curtin played well for Claremont’s senior team, picking up 21 touches in a loss to East Freo. Zane Duursma continued his good form bagging 6 for Gippy in the Talent League, with Archer Reid jagging 3. Nate Caddy got himself 4 goals in a loss to GWV, who had George Stevens amongst the best. 

Claremont threw Curtin forward in the 4th when the game was in the balance, I’m biased but he’s the one I’m taking if he’s there. It’s Pavlich I’m seeing 24 years later

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

I would be looking to take replacements this draft

4     Curtin   Big tough CHF  we dont have one

15   O Sullivan or Murphy or McCabe    Replacement for May

23  Reid or Green    Replacement for Max / Grundy

35 Best outside mid available

Next year go for mids and mids

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:16 PM, ChaserJ said:

Reid’s game has been covered off in the Harley Reid thread, but quite a few prospects delivered today. Dan Curtin played well for Claremont’s senior team, picking up 21 touches in a loss to East Freo.

Zane Duursma continued his good form bagging 6 for Gippy in the Talent League, with Archer Reid jagging 3. Nate Caddy got himself 4 goals in a loss to GWV, who had George Stevens amongst the best. 

Kynan Brown had 30 touches and kicked a goal for the Oakleigh Chargers. He’s still going under the radar - why? Is it his disposal and decision-making?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Elwood 3184 said:

Kynan Brown had 30 touches and kicked a goal for the Oakleigh Chargers. He’s still going under the radar - why? Is it his disposal and decision-making?

Size and scope I think. He doesn't have any specific weapons, he is just a neat, solid player.

Probably a good thing though as it will likely cost us a very late pick and he looks like the type of kid who will get every ounce of talent out of himself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lots of talent and Dees are well placed to pickup 3-4 youngsters to top up our talent pool. Whether we either upgrade by dealing to grab Reid or hold at #4 (and get access to any of Mckercher, Sanders, Duursma or Curtin), it’s going to be a good result.  My update on rankings: 

1-10. Harley Reid, Jed Walter (suns academy) , Daniel Curtin, Coby Mckercher, Ryley Sanders, Zane Duursma, Nick Watson, Ethan Read (suns academy), Connor O’Sullivan , Darcy Wilson

11-20 Archer Reid, Mitchell Edwards (Freo nga) , Joel Freijah , Logan Morris, Ashton Moir , Jake Rogers (suns academy) , George Stevens, Nathan Philactides, Ollie Murphy, Riley Hardeman 

21-30 Koen Sanchez, Nate Caddy, Koltyn Tholstrup, Harvey Johnston, Jordan Croft (bulldogs f/son) , Cooper Simpson, Archie Roberts, Will Dawson, Harry Demattia, Caiden Cleary (swans academy) ,

31-40. Clay Hall, Will McCabe (hawks F/son), Will Graham (Suns academy)  , Jack Delean, Will Lorenz, Kade DelaRue, Angus Hastie, Alex Holt, Luamon Luai, Michael Rudd.  

41-50.  Will Patton, Jack Callinan, Koby Shipp, Caleb Windsor, Rye Penny, Billy Wilson, Aiden Odriscoll, Harvey Thomas (giants academy), Charlie Harrop, Heath Ollington. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Lots of talent and Dees are well placed to pickup 3-4 youngsters to top up our talent pool. Whether we either upgrade by dealing to grab Reid or hold at #4 (and get access to any of Mckercher, Sanders, Duursma or Curtin), it’s going to be a good result.  My update on rankings: 

1-10. Harley Reid, Jed Walter (suns academy) , Daniel Curtin, Coby Mckercher, Ryley Sanders, Zane Duursma, Nick Watson, Ethan Read (suns academy), Connor O’Sullivan , Darcy Wilson

11-20 Archer Reid, Mitchell Edwards (Freo nga) , Joel Freijah , Logan Morris, Ashton Moir , Jake Rogers (suns academy) , George Stevens, Nathan Philactides, Ollie Murphy, Riley Hardeman 

21-30 Koen Sanchez, Nate Caddy, Koltyn Tholstrup, Harvey Johnston, Jordan Croft (bulldogs f/son) , Cooper Simpson, Archie Roberts, Will Dawson, Harry Demattia, Caiden Cleary (swans academy) ,

31-40. Clay Hall, Will McCabe (hawks F/son), Will Graham (Suns academy)  , Jack Delean, Will Lorenz, Kade DelaRue, Angus Hastie, Alex Holt, Luamon Luai, Michael Rudd.  

41-50.  Will Patton, Jack Callinan, Koby Shipp, Caleb Windsor, Rye Penny, Billy Wilson, Aiden Odriscoll, Harvey Thomas (giants academy), Charlie Harrop, Heath Ollington. 

Nice work SONS. Couple of questions for you. 
You have Moir higher than most of the other rankings, has hit hit a bit of form?

Also have you seen much of Will Dawson and if so what your thoughts on him? I thought he looked pretty good in the two games he played in defence for Vic country. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colm said:

Nice work SONS. Couple of questions for you. 
You have Moir higher than most of the other rankings, has hit hit a bit of form?

Also have you seen much of Will Dawson and if so what your thoughts on him? I thought he looked pretty good in the two games he played in defence for Vic country. 

Moir is a super talent.   Simply - he takes marks. Contested marks. High marks. He kicks goals. That’s worth a lot in todays game. He’s 2022 form was too good to ignore.  He kicks goals from anywhere in the forward 50. His championships were not great due to a hip injury but he’ll be managed in my view over the rest of 2023. I still think he sits in the 14-18 pick range in my view. Of course interviews and draft combine are still to come. 

• Thanks 2

I would klike to see us trade for GC's 1st rounder. Our Freo pick before being pushed back should be pick 4/5. GC's 1st rounder will then likely be 5/6.

GC are stacked with later picks and with a 20% points discount will not need to many extra points. So it may IMO be worth offering our 2024 1st rounder and our Freo 2023 2nd rounder and/or our 2023 2nd rounder.

I note that Kynan Brown has a great last game with the Chargers. He has been a late developer showing some good traits as a mid in the Championships. Late developers are often preferred by recruiters. It may mean that we know a good mid is already a certainty. So that will give us an advantage come the draft.

With the above we could have our usual 1st rounder say 16/17/18 plus picks 4/5 or picks 5/6. Plus Kynan to come in for a later pick.

If Simon and his team get it right with the above picks with some elite kids we could be set for another 10 plus years at the top. Then add White junior in a couple of years.

Knowing our drafting and list management team we will be plotting something for sure.

There is loads of talent in this draft.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

it we don't trade up for harley reid - which is my preference - then it would be quite funny if we picked wa lad curtin with flagmantle's pick, and then nominated their academy player with our own selection

if he gets nominated inside 40 they lose access to him, i believe?

what style of ruckman do you see mitchell edwards developing into, @spirit of norm smith?

what's his forward 'craft' like?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

it we don't trade up for harley reid - which is my preference - then it would be quite funny if we picked wa lad curtin with flagmantle's pick, and then nominated their academy player with our own selection

if he gets nominated inside 40 they lose access to him, i believe?

what style of ruckman do you see mitchell edwards developing into, @spirit of norm smith?

what's his forward 'craft' like?

Edwards is a Tim English clone, but more advanced (due to Colts and senior exposure) than English was when he was drafted

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Clap 1