Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs GWS

Demonland

6 minutes ago, The Stewster said:

Did you see his between the legs pick up tonight? Right in front of me. It was Brilliant.

Sure did.
Amazing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

I was thinking during that game sparrow may need a rest but then he did that beautiful assist & played well.

Sick of reading on social media the Melbourne supporters didn't show up, there undefeated, the reigning premiers & typical Melbourne of there supporters. I'm putting it down to Easter, school holidays, people can now travel, people still hate the fact you just can't rock up & buy a ticket, the comedy festival was on, storm were playing & not everyone wants to come to a night game especially if you are relying on public transport to go home.

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also have you noticed the stories about Goodwin and his bullying antics have suddenly stopped?

Nick Riewoldt had to have a go at this on the post game, saying we must have all been at the snow or in Portsea. It is insulting. Crowds are down across the league. The ridiculous pre-booking tickets and the MCC marking this as a Category 2 game, is keeping people away, particularly neutrals who would rock up and just sit with mates. It is probably true that a lot of fans were away on Easter vacations. I don’t blame them. It’s GWS on a Saturday night. The night fixtures are great for TV. Many prefer the convenience of staying home. If this was a game later in the year on the eve of finals, you’d have had more there. 

In saying all that, the club should be stronger on encouraging fans to turn up. You can’t just expect that because we are Premiers tht people will just show up. Pump it up during the week a little more. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, BoBo said:

Was paying attention to the GWS connections across the ground tonight at the game.

We make sure there is a contest and and support at a rate that I don’t think I’ve seen before or rarely. We make sure there is a contest and support like 90% of the time outside of our own forward 50.

It’s unreal to watch. Our backline acts in almost complete unison. Every player knows what the other is going to do. 

I went with my father who’s been a dees supporter since the 60’s, he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

Moments I’ll treasure is watching the way we play live and just giving each other a wry smile. No words needed.

We are incredible. 

I'm with you @bobo. There was something about tonight's match that just felt like I was watching a team I'd waited my whole life to barrack for. It's was truly wonderful.

The flag was fantastic but to watch us just kick into that gear again this season made it feel like the start of an incredible era I'll tell my grand kids about. This team is just something else.

The gut running goals of Pickett and Sparrow. The second efforts and defensive pressure when the game was already iced were amazing.

The depth we have and pressure for spots seems to be turning everyone into beasts.

Petty was hard as nails.

Spargo played one of his best games.

Pickett and the way he moves through traffic is like no other football player I've ever seen but it's hard running and second efforts that just put him above most other champion small forwards that have played the game. Eddie Betts would be one of them but he never ran as hard as this kid does.

As others have mentioned, our field kicking is just so good now.

• Like 7

Had some friends over last night to watch the game. Really enjoyed it. A bit slow to start, but really solid in the later part. Petty was really good in the first quarter. Petracca was a return to form. Gawn, Harmes, Bowey, Kozzie all great.

One thing that did bother me, was that umpire. She seems to have no clue how the games played and likes to hear the sound of her own voice. I think she’s the worst one out there, and yes, I’m female myself, before you call me a sexist 

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Great post on goodwin.

Ross lyon stated before gf last year that goodys boundary line coaching could cosy us a win.

And he would know?????? Haha

7 hours ago, whitito said:

Sparrow is just a ripper. The tap back to Frisch was pure team. 

Awesome to watch.

People won't remember who kicked the goal only the tap back. Sparrow's work got all the players congrats.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

I could watch that on a loop all day and half of tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Hopeful Demon said:

Love supporting this club at the moment.

Spargo is an absolute gem. Amazing how people wanted him desisted a year and a half ago.

I have loved supporting MY team all my life during the good and bad (and that's a bit of time).  The good times are back. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Beetle said:

Weren’t on the Hurstbridge or Mernda line by chance were you? Absolute bloody nightmare coming in from Eltham this arvo.

Geeezzz I wonder why less people are coming to the footy, public transport is terrible around night games along with the long weekend and people have been desperate to get out of Melbs. 
Love the “ it to derail the thread” comments followed by a derail haha.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, binman said:

The first sentence is not true.

i mean of course sometimes they did.

Just as we did tonight - we won by 10 plus goals tonight after all (and in the back end of last season).

But plenty of scrappy wins too

The last dominant team was the 2017 to 2020 tigers.

Dominant in the sense that there was a big gap back to the chasing pack.

They had tones of low margin victories in that period. Rarely thrashed teams. 

Ironically their most consistent big wins came in 2018, when they were as far ahead of the next best as we are now. 19-3 I think.

And they got knocked out in the prelim by big cox.

The hawks were the previous dominant team.

They probably had more big victories in their dominant period, but still plenty of 'professional' 4-5 goal wins pulling up.

The previous dominant team was the lions - and they did hammer plenty of teams.

But that is a generation ago in footy terms. A different game now.

And I disagree we are happy to cruise.

We look to dominate. 

Despite the trio of flags, I don't consider Richmond one of those recent dominant teams. I don't think there was ever a big gap to the chasing teams, and the Tigers never seemed unbeatable. They ascended when the quality of opposition was ordinary, in my opinion. It may still be. That's why I find it hard to place us. Hawthorn, Geelong, and Brisbane in their glory periods - they asserted themselves (but mostly always had at least one dominant rival too). You may be right that that should be considered a generation ago, and I'm just getting old. 

Our defence is utterly dominant and soul-destroying, but we're just suffocating for the win rather than looking to crush. Compare our finals series last year to the way we've played in both regular seasons. Our best wins last year - Richmond, the Dogs and Port spring to mind - were when we had a real challenge. I think we're cruising. If Ross Lyon was our coach people would be talking about it. That an originally totally offensive-minded Goody has reshaped this team into a dour defensive juggernaut is remarkable. It feels like we're up there - but the subjectivity makes it hard to compare. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

5 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Nick Riewoldt had to have a go at this on the post game, saying we must have all been at the snow or in Portsea. It is insulting. Crowds are down across the league. The ridiculous pre-booking tickets and the MCC marking this as a Category 2 game, is keeping people away, particularly neutrals who would rock up and just sit with mates. It is probably true that a lot of fans were away on Easter vacations. I don’t blame them. It’s GWS on a Saturday night. The night fixtures are great for TV. Many prefer the convenience of staying home. If this was a game later in the year on the eve of finals, you’d have had more there. 

In saying all that, the club should be stronger on encouraging fans to turn up. You can’t just expect that because we are Premiers tht people will just show up. Pump it up during the week a little more. 

Outrageous by Riewoldt, doesn’t he know some of us are also down at Rye and couldn’t get to the game!

Seriously though, I think the ticketing is causing more issues than people realize, found out last night my father in law canceled 5 reserved seat bulldogs memberships this year because the seats he’s been guaranteed since forever he can’t have anymore due to the new system. He used to pay his memberships and could decide on the morning if he wanted to go to the game and use his seats, or just not go. With the new system on his current level of membership he would have to had book each week online if he wanted to go . So he said,  stuff it I’ll just get kayo for the season and save well over a $1000 on memberships. He’s got troubling knees so really only knows one the day if he’s up to the walking or not.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Razor said:

Was it a coincidence that after the ridiculous 50m penalty against Clayton in the 3rd the boys fired up and slammed on the goals?

No.

7 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Completely agree. I don’t want this thread to be detailed, but 20,000 people was a pathetic attendance on a perfect weather night while we are 4-0. We can’t demand prime time slots and then have 20k turn up. It’s not profitable for anyone. Really disappointing. 

What is not disappointing is the poetry in motion that is our team. When they flick a switch they are a joy. 

Easter Saturday night might be prime time for TV but it is the one weekend of the year with lots of family stuff and even, for some, religious observations.  Especially when such family special times have been disrupted for two years. Just an observation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CYB said:

And let’s not forget the pandemic and school holidays. probably everyone’s last chance to enjoy some warm weather and get away before winter sets in.

Warm weather this weekend will definitely be a factor, I would have gone but down at rye with my wife and 3 kids and have spent most of the day enjoying the beaches of the peninsular 

• Like 1

One of my favourite moments was when Steven may had two spoils in a row in front the mcc stand. When he got the first one nearly every single player jumped with excitement, fist pumped and ran over to him like he kicked a goal. We are still hungry as and I love it. Also, So many second efforts - kozzy, sparrow so on. Bring on Richmond!

• Love 2

9 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Amazingly relaxing to watch.

I didn’t feel stressed for one minute tonight. 

I would have liked us to have surpassed our Festival of Hate©️winning margin, but I’ll take it.

We’ve always had silky skilled players in our team but never have I seen a Melbourne team where all on the pitch can be trusted to execute by foot like this team. Choco Williams should be preserved Walt Disney style upon his passing for the job he’s done with cleaning up our field kicking. The pure accuracy extended that first quarter lead beyond where it should have been under normal circumstances as GWS’ endeavor was top notch.

That felt like a Melbourne win where all the players who should be playing well did. Tracc, Gawn and Clarry were all amazing. I’ll give my BOG however to Steven May. The bloke was a dead set miser and rarely wasted a possession when he got his hands on it. 

My mind is now made up on the two tall setup: it’s Tomald and Brown unless Van Rooyen produces the type of footy in the Magoos that demands a senior call up. Unless Weed miraculously learns to bust open packs, keep his feet upon spillage or to sprint when making a second effort rather than casually jog, I can’t keep him in the team.

We now face a Richmond side next week keen to stay among the pack so we’ll need to keep our wits about us. 

Thank god someone here sees how it is with the key forwards. Don't credit someone as creating a spillage when all they've done is drop a mark they should have taken

Trac seems to be able to do what ever he wants, even with 3 or 4 blokes hanging off him. 
The confidence in each other is sky high and they just take the game on and know they can pile on the goals at any stage of the game.

Brilliant football  by our boys despite the putrid umpiring performance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I’m sure some will point out our wins have been against sides all currently sitting outside the 8

One of the reasons they're outside the 8 is because we beat them.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cassiew said:

One thing that did bother me, was that umpire. She seems to have no clue how the games played and likes to hear the sound of her own voice. I think she’s the worst one out there, and yes, I’m female myself, before you call me a sexist 

LOL.  I was tempted to mention that Umpy, too.  Was the one who disallowed Trac's great goal.  To avoid the sexist tag, I was gonna simply refer to "the umpy with the high voice..."  Made several terrible calls against us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1