PF: Melbourne vs Geelong

Demonland

16 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Smith strained his hammy reported by Tom Morris. Hibberd set to return.

Unfortunately Smith's body is not up to playing sustained AFL footy, I feel for the bloke. From a team perspective it is no damage done. I was actually wanting this change before the injury. Hibberd is a smart defender, Smith while athletic is a bit lost defensively at times.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Mickey said:

My only concern is it means Hibbo has to play on Rohan, and petty on Cameron. Smith was a good match up for Cameron, and Rohan is good in the air.

I agree.  Smiths size and speed was defintiely good for Rohan , and Smith is arguably a better player anyway than Rohan. Hibberd probably has better defensive nous but is he fit enough. 

Could have been worse news.

• Like 1

While I don’t think Smith is a match winner, with Ratogulia in, he actually was needed for height. 
Hibbo is a good solid choice, but I worry about height match ups now. 
I also want Hunt in but understand Hibbo is a better pure defensive option. 

Sad for Joel. His body keeps blowing up but better  in training than early in a game! He’s young and has plenty of time ahead of him. Hibbo doesn’t. I’m happy for him as it might be his last chance. 

• Like 1

I think Hunt should be considered as the sub, this isn’t a charity gig or anything like that, if Hibberd is coming in for Smith as reported Hunt is a player that could provided the flexibility required should there be an injury across the ground. 

He’s played forward, back, and midfield so for me he makes logical sense as a player to be the sub. 

I had a feeling we would be seeing Hibberd in the finals. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jaded said:

While I don’t think Smith is a match winner, with Ratogulia in, he actually was needed for height. 
Hibbo is a good solid choice, but I worry about height match ups now. 
I also want Hunt in but understand Hibbo is a better pure defensive option. 

Sad for Joel. His body keeps blowing up but better  in training than early in a game! He’s young and has plenty of time ahead of him. Hibbo doesn’t. I’m happy for him as it might be his last chance. 

Smith is only 191cm only 3cm more than Hibberd, personally I don’t think smith is tall enough or strong enough to play on a kpp and he lacks the footy smarts to play on the mid and smaller fwds as we saw with Cameron the other week. I shudder to think how he would go vs Danger if he got isolated, I’d much prefer Hibberd even if he has lost a yard we only need to look back to his job on Martin earlier this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Smith is only 191cm only 3cm more than Hibberd, personally I don’t think smith is tall enough or strong enough to play on a kpp and he lacks the footy smarts to play on the mid and smaller fwds as we saw with Cameron the other week. I shudder to think how he would go vs Danger if he got isolated, I’d much prefer Hibberd even if he has lost a yard we only need to look back to his job on Martin earlier this year.

He played on danger at times against the cats in round 23. And held his own.

Also took Cameron and Rohan.

And held his own onthem too.

• Like 2

Strange messaging from Geelong.

Scott claims Optus oval helps their game style?   Hmmm. Trying to convince the players?

Isaac Smith says Lever and May made them look like fools in round 23they-made-us-look-like-fools-cats

Guthrie doesn't quite agree:  "They are pretty strong comments. I'm surprised Isaac does feel that way. In the end it was a quarter of footy that cost us," Guthrie said.  "Personally for me reflecting on the game, those kind of comments, I don't know if I necessarily agree with.  "They're quality players and they're going to give us a tough night.  

Not sure that 'team' are all on the same page.

Whereas our messaging is really in sync be it about Jones' opportunity, our readiness, respect for opps etc.

Has anyone at Geelong even once spoken of respect for their Ops.  I may have missed it.  I just see arrogance and smugness from the coach and captain and just about anyone else from there that gets air time.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 11

12 hours ago, adonski said:

I don't know who Cara (sp?) is but hope her spirits have been lifted this week. We all will be cheering with you and more importantly for you.

Shows the character of our team to do this. And to Jack, glad to see you now have a little red and blue. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

And instantly my MFCSS is gone. 

I know Smith is a great kid, huge potential but throwing him into the side this late in the season really unsettled the backline. 
He has done some nice things but was coming over the top and spoiling other teammates and bringing a bit more chaos than necessary.
Really keen to see him back in the side from round 1 2022

I now have no doubt in my mind that we win on Friday.

• Like 2
  • Vomit 1

10 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

I remember an accidental contact that broke Mays eye socket. With the amount of scrutiny that is on any physical contact these days, it would be foolhardy for anyone to go outside the rules in a prelim and potentially cost themselves a grand final berth. As I said, this ain’t the 80’s.

Hope you are right. I reckon if so we are all over the cats, dogs and Port. Just a matter of picking our players who will match up.

we have good depth for any injuries.

59 minutes ago, binman said:

He played on danger at times against the cats in round 23. And held his own.

Also took Cameron and Rohan.

And held his own onthem too.

Cameron gave him a bath. What were you watching? 

Smith has potential and an athletic profile that you'd kill for. 

But that's it. His defensive positioning and football IQ is not there. That was evident against Cameron on multiple occasions. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of people gave forgotten how good Hibberd has been this year.

Yea , had a bit of a dip in form his last few games but when he came in this year somewhat late ....smashed it and was instrumental in quite a few wins.

I think this is actually a good thing having him replace Smith.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I think a lot of people gave forgotten how good Hibberd has been this year.

Yea , had a bit of a dip in form his last few games but when he came in this year somewhat late ....smashed it and was instrumental in quite a few wins.

I think this is actually a good thing having him replace Smith.

i recall more recently him fumbling and double grabbing at every ground ball.   Was great earlier in the year though.   If Hunt is fit i would be taking him over Hibberd myself.

• Like 2