NON MFC: Rd 09 2021

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

We're better than Geelong and way better than the saints.

Dermie commented that it was a privilege to watch this match at half time. i think its a rubbish game.

i would say surely being ironic but then i remembered what a moron he is and nothing surprises me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Salems Lot said:

Geelong get everything from the Umps.....EVERYTHING!

Well except for vs Sydney in the final 30 seconds ?.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know commentary is one of the regular bug bears on this site but can I just point out one of the most patronising/condescending lines that the usual suspects trot out.

"[Insert lower team] has been so brave tonight". It's actually insulting to the team that they're referring to, in this case St Kilda by Brayshaw. They haven't been brave, they've been better than the cats and quite clearly. They just haven't taken their shots on goal with their forwards having an absolute mare of a night in the fumbles department as well.

Makes me sick that the Cats are likely winning this, they are a lucky team and the Sydney match was one of very few that went against them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pates said:

Well except for vs Sydney in the final 30 seconds ?.

That was the karma bus. 

But tonight Saints really blew their chances 100% in the first quarter.  What a bloody waste.  

• Like 2

Wow King. ?

Edited by Pates

1 minute ago, Pates said:

Wow King. ?

1 goal 5 behinds. He's the match loser.

• Like 5

Max King will be a ripper if he can tidy up his set shots. Does everything else right and generates a heap of opportunity. Very promising youngster!

Match had been poorly skilled tonight. Glad we beat both these teams already this year.

Ordinary match ... mistake riddled

Saints aren't much chop and if Geelong play like they have tonight against a good team they'll struggle

They (Cats) were excellent against the Tigers last week but that standard may not be easily repeated

2 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Max King will be a ripper if he can tidy up his set shots. Does everything else right and generates a heap of opportunity. Very promising youngster!

Match had been poorly skilled tonight. Glad we beat both these teams already this year.

According to the Saints forum (I was curious to see how they were reacting) he has kicked 5.14 in his last 5 weeks. There are two ways of looking at it. Firstly you can see the positive that he gets plenty of looks at goal for such a young player and his contested marking is already looking good. Or you can say his misses are costing them wins, 5.14 at ANY LEVEL is not good enough. 

He seems to be rushing himself, there's no clear routine. You look at Hawkins (who dobbed his shot from 40m on an angle almost straight afterwards) and he has a set routine. King just ran back an started his run up with plenty of time on the umpire's whistle, go too close to the man on the mark.

• Like 2

Gee Saints did some coach killing stuff tonight. Under 15 errors at times, 20m passes missing their target and as we know if you don’t nail multiple set shots from inside 30m you ain’t going to win anything. Geelong gets another 4 points to add to the other 8 pts they should not have. 

• Like 3

Cats

Swans

Hawks 

Lions

Tigers 

Port

Bombers

Dees 

Eagles

Im taking Tigers v Giants and Bombers v Freo each way in my multis. Was thinking this could be Norths chance to get a win but looking at the teams for that game I’m not so sure. 

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ordinary match ... mistake riddled

Saints aren't much chop and if Geelong play like they have tonight against a good team they'll struggle

They (Cats) were excellent against the Tigers last week but that standard may not be easily repeated

Not much different from our game against North after we played the tigers.

Understandably flat but did enough to get the 4 points.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 2

The biggest missed opportunity tonight? That’d be in the first quarter, Jack Sinclair on the bench, Saints doc hovering over him holding a pair of scissors yet Sinclair still has that mullet intact. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Gee Saints did some coach killing stuff tonight. Under 15 errors at times, 20m passes missing their target and as we know if you don’t nail multiple set shots from inside 30m you ain’t going to win anything. Geelong gets another 4 points to add to the other 8 pts they should not have. 

As I said earlier in the thread, they are a lucky team. They have been for a last few years. Don't get me wrong I recognise they have a load of quality players, but they have managed to fluke some wins that in no way did they deserve that have elevated their perceived position. What I saw of the second half told me that blow for blow the Saints were better on the night, but they had a young forward that got some of the worst yips I've seen, coupled with coach-killing basic errors. 

The end result was simply down to Geelong having the composure to take the chances handed to them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Chip Frawley. Should have stayed in retirement. Gives nothing.

Did he play ? Watched the whole game and can't remember him.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Harsh but true unfortunately

Most of those 5 behinds weren't hard at that level

The images of him on the bench tells everyone that he knows it as well, and as talent goes he's got it there. The coaches can tell him everything he needs to know, but I think this is something he has to figure out himself. I see no point for the Saints to drop him because 6 looks at goal are still things that he created, it sounds a little [censored]-ish but I think he needs to look at mindfulness techniques to turn this around. As you say, a lot of the chances weren't hard at ANY adult level.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, monoccular said:

The last two Demons I remember doing that were Lynden Dunn and Sam Frost.

Both were delisted shortly thereafter, though Sam’s one in the final was as I recall a game turner. 

You probbaly meant this tongue in cheek, but if not Sam's was 5 minutes into the first 1/4. But either way your'e spot on as it lifted the stadium and set the scene.

8 hours ago, Pates said:

The images of him on the bench tells everyone that he knows it as well, and as talent goes he's got it there. The coaches can tell him everything he needs to know, but I think this is something he has to figure out himself. I see no point for the Saints to drop him because 6 looks at goal are still things that he created, it sounds a little [censored]-ish but I think he needs to look at mindfulness techniques to turn this around. As you say, a lot of the chances weren't hard at ANY adult level.

Johnathon Brown said on The Couch that Leigh Mattehws told his Brisbane teams that the one stat that really mattered in winning games was front of goal accuracy which he placed most  importance on above others.