Would you take Jeremy Howe back?

Northern Summer

To paraphrase Dr Evil...……..  " Howe about noooooooooooooooooooo ??? !!!!!!!!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Northern Summer said:

A hypothetical.... Let's just say we continue along the path we are currently on and win the flag or come bloody close. Collingwood decide to trade out players with currency wherever they can for their rebuild. Collingwood are open to trading out Howe. Would you take him back?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

The way Howe left always left a bad taste.  He was a sook who didn't want to play in the backline of a rubbish side and then was a jerk about a club that had given him a chance.  Think of all the smashings someone like Colin Garland put up with, he had the fortitude to keep going.   

Of those who left in that era - Frawley, Rivers etc - I was wishing them well.  But Howe acted like a clown.  

• Like 2

We wouldn't trade for him because we don't need him now but it's a myth he left for money.  He wanted to stay at MFC with his mates but we didn't want him.  That may or may not have been justified but the decision was ours, he didn't walk out.

Secondly anyone who thinks he's not a really good player is building a rhetoric to lessen the disappointment of him leaving.  He is a fantastic player and had he not suffered injury would probably have been AA.  He's one of my favourite players to watch outside MFC.  Skill, poise and plays the game in the way it should be played.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, McQueen said:

No GIF

You're looking pretty banged up there, Steve. How'd the lockdown treat you?

As for Howe, his comments around empty stadiums because he played at Melbourne should always render him a dog in our eyes. 

Culturally, you can't have someone publicly [censored] on the club, let alone leave when the going got tough,  and then take him back.

Besides, we couldn't fit him in our current backline. His intercepting attributes are covered by Lever and May.

1 hour ago, Jontee said:

Only if the Pies pay his salary.

Hmmm, throws up an interesting 'revenge served cold' scenario; trade-in and then de-list.

Edited by TRIGON
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

He was a reason to go to the footy when we weren’t winning to see another mark of the year contender. 
He also said some nice words ahead of Chunk’s 300th last week, so I’m not sure he’s a complete dh.
But now we’re winning. He won’t make us a better team, nor does he have the pressure attributes IMO. Absolutely a no from me.

What did he say concerning Chunk?

always interesting what ex players say about their Captain 

I'd take him back. He is one of the best defenders in the game. Just because May and Lever are ahead of him on current form doesn't mean that he isn't a great player.  All of this talk saying that he is past his prime etc. is way too harsh considering his injuries. Maybe he isn't the greatest bloke off the field, but to me he interviews well and doesn't seem like a tool. Using the phone incident as an example is barely a hanging offence. I think people are just too proud to admit that they would have him back. 

Edited by Dr.D
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

How to put this delicately.

[censored]. No.

Let him rot at the Pies for the remainder of his ****ty, undecorated career.

Oh my mistake. He’s in the Collingwood leadership group. Well done Jezza. A fine achievement. Maybe they can print you out a certificate.

Offer him a 3 year godfather deal, wait until he burns bridges at Collingwood telling them so long suckers I’m going to play in a successful team, then rip it up before he signs with a ‘just kidding’.

But seriously no. We are past being a retirement home. And he has what he wants - big crowds that can boo his increasingly dysfunctional club each week

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

We wouldn't trade for him because we don't need him now but it's a myth he left for money.  He wanted to stay at MFC with his mates but we didn't want him.  That may or may not have been justified but the decision was ours, he didn't walk out.

Secondly anyone who thinks he's not a really good player is building a rhetoric to lessen the disappointment of him leaving.  He is a fantastic player and had he not suffered injury would probably have been AA.  He's one of my favourite players to watch outside MFC.  Skill, poise and plays the game in the way it should be played.

Surely the forward line factor played a big role. He seemed convinced he was a forward. I thought it was a failing from the club that they didn’t convince him he was a defender and reward his attacking style of defending. He really left us at the exact moment his role became super valuable. 

Otherwise I agree with you and I wouldn’t get overly worked up about anything he’s said. Just as I’d hope he’d let the past be the past too.

I’m not at all saying Howe should come back but I think of Croad to the Hawks, Tarrant to the Pies and even Gaz Jnr to the Cats. Good clubs are always open to reunions. 

About to turn 31yo. A player like him will get plenty of soft tissue injuries from now, you'd imagine

In fact, if the Pies rebuild as they should, he might only have one more season left in him.