Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems pretty decent news. Gus & Petty seem the only ones a bit behind (as expected). Plus, a good sign they'll get into some actual footy work pretty early.  

This must be Vanders first pre-season in about 4 years not starting in the rehab group. Hopefully he and Nietschke will have uninterrupted pre-seasons this time around. 

There is spin and there is fact. The facts seem to be Petty, Hibberd and Gus are the only players to have missed a main session ignoring Vanders stuck in NSW.  Let’s compare these facts to facts on Ca


It’s always positive in January. It always amazes me how many injuries supposedly happen in the last weeks of pre season. It’s all about membership sales atm so I take it all these early reports w a large grain of salt. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think we'd miss Mitch Hannan but I have to admit it is strange to hear talk of pre-season rehab groups with no mention of Hannan.  I hope the dogs have a good medical dept!

  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This must be Vanders first pre-season in about 4 years not starting in the rehab group. Hopefully he and Nietschke will have uninterrupted pre-seasons this time around. 

Edited by Caligula's cohort
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

It’s always positive in January. It always amazes me how many injuries supposedly happen in the last weeks of pre season. It’s all about membership sales atm so I take it all these early reports w a large grain of salt. 

The spin is always positive. And there’s always injuries as they ramp up contact, match sim and practice games.

But this is January 23 2019:

“Gus (Angus Brayshaw) had a back-issue pre-Christmas which has been resolved.

“The shoulder guys that we had, Harmesy (James Harmes), Neville (Jetta), Jayden (Hunt) and Vanders (Aaron vandenBerg), all joined in training on Monday so they’re virtually full contact now.

“They’ll all do most of the sessions from here on in.”

Misson isn’t worried about too many of the players in a long-term capacity and believes the majority of the rehab group is now ready for full training.

“Billy (Stretch) did 80 percent of the session on Monday – he had that toe operated on last year,” Misson said.

“Oscar (McDonald) had a hip scope, so he’s been going really well in rehab. He’s back in full training now, as is Tim Smith who had an ankle scope, and Trac (Christian Petracca) who had a knee scope.

“There are no major concerns long-term.”

Eight players remain in the rehab group, so with the club set to head on its pre-season camp next week, Misson has provided an update on their individual progress.

Oskar Baker

“Oskar Baker is due to do some training on camp. He did a pretty bad hamstring injury towards the end of the VFL season. Because speed is his main weapon we’ve taken a fair bit of time with him and he’s now put together some really good fast running in rehab.”

Mitch Hannan

“He had a double knee scope so he’s going OK. He hasn’t started football stuff yet but he’s doing a bit of running.”

Nathan Jones

“He just had some back and hamstring issues before Christmas and over the Christmas period that’s been a little bit slow. Because he’s a bit older and it’s the first hamstring he’s done we’re taking it a little bit slower.”

Jake Lever

“Lever had a few issues pre-Christmas primarily with some nerve stuff but he’s definitely over the hump now. He’s starting to run fast, he’s doing agility and looking to start some one-on-one skill stuff next week. We’re confident now he’s over the little issue he had pre-Christmas and he’s starting to put in some really consistent training.”

Jake Melksham

“He’s another one who just had a little hamstring thing before Christmas which has been slow and it’s similar to an injury he had during the season last year. So we’re just taking a little bit more time with it.”

Clayton Oliver

“Clarry had both shoulders [operated on]. He actually joined in a drill on Monday, so he’ll be doing more and more with the group over the next couple of weeks. By the end of camp we expect he’s going to be in full training.”

Jack Viney

“Vines is going really well. He’s probably put together his most consistent training period. So he’ll do some training with the group on camp and then afterwards he’ll be back.”

Guy Walker

“Guy had an issue with his shoulder pre-Christmas just in a contact drill. He actually had a procedure during the Christmas break which is going to be a reasonably slow recovery.”

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DubDee said:

I didn't think we'd miss Mitch Hannan but I have to admit it is strange to hear talk of pre-season rehab groups with no mention of Hannan.  I hope the dogs have a good medical dept!

Could go either way with Hannan.

He might kick 35 goals for the Dogs this year and we'll regret not offering him higher coin.

Or he'll continue to be injured and/or float between AFL and VFL.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

The spin is always positive. And there’s always injuries as they ramp up contact, match sim and practice games.

But this is January 23 2019:

“Gus (Angus Brayshaw) had a back-issue pre-Christmas which has been resolved.

“The shoulder guys that we had, Harmesy (James Harmes), Neville (Jetta), Jayden (Hunt) and Vanders (Aaron vandenBerg), all joined in training on Monday so they’re virtually full contact now.

“They’ll all do most of the sessions from here on in.”

Misson isn’t worried about too many of the players in a long-term capacity and believes the majority of the rehab group is now ready for full training.

“Billy (Stretch) did 80 percent of the session on Monday – he had that toe operated on last year,” Misson said.

“Oscar (McDonald) had a hip scope, so he’s been going really well in rehab. He’s back in full training now, as is Tim Smith who had an ankle scope, and Trac (Christian Petracca) who had a knee scope.

“There are no major concerns long-term.”

Eight players remain in the rehab group, so with the club set to head on its pre-season camp next week, Misson has provided an update on their individual progress.

Oskar Baker

“Oskar Baker is due to do some training on camp. He did a pretty bad hamstring injury towards the end of the VFL season. Because speed is his main weapon we’ve taken a fair bit of time with him and he’s now put together some really good fast running in rehab.”

Mitch Hannan

“He had a double knee scope so he’s going OK. He hasn’t started football stuff yet but he’s doing a bit of running.”

Nathan Jones

“He just had some back and hamstring issues before Christmas and over the Christmas period that’s been a little bit slow. Because he’s a bit older and it’s the first hamstring he’s done we’re taking it a little bit slower.”

Jake Lever

“Lever had a few issues pre-Christmas primarily with some nerve stuff but he’s definitely over the hump now. He’s starting to run fast, he’s doing agility and looking to start some one-on-one skill stuff next week. We’re confident now he’s over the little issue he had pre-Christmas and he’s starting to put in some really consistent training.”

Jake Melksham

“He’s another one who just had a little hamstring thing before Christmas which has been slow and it’s similar to an injury he had during the season last year. So we’re just taking a little bit more time with it.”

Clayton Oliver

“Clarry had both shoulders [operated on]. He actually joined in a drill on Monday, so he’ll be doing more and more with the group over the next couple of weeks. By the end of camp we expect he’s going to be in full training.”

Jack Viney

“Vines is going really well. He’s probably put together his most consistent training period. So he’ll do some training with the group on camp and then afterwards he’ll be back.”

Guy Walker

“Guy had an issue with his shoulder pre-Christmas just in a contact drill. He actually had a procedure during the Christmas break which is going to be a reasonably slow recovery.”

Yep...point taken. That was the worst in living memory. Amazingly many  of us still walked into 2019 thinking we might win a flag. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly has been quiet on the Melbourne front with hardly an injuries and any training with almost a full list training is a good indication of a strong preseason .   Makes for  fighting for a spot in the starting line up interesting.

It gives us a chance to have a good start to the season proper with a minimum of fuss.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Demonland changed the title to 2021 Injury List
9 hours ago, DubDee said:

I didn't think we'd miss Mitch Hannan but I have to admit it is strange to hear talk of pre-season rehab groups with no mention of Hannan.  I hope the dogs have a good medical dept!

Pretty sure he's currently in the Dogs rehab group with Toby McLean and a  few others

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is spin and there is fact. The facts seem to be Petty, Hibberd and Gus are the only players to have missed a main session ignoring Vanders stuck in NSW.  Let’s compare these facts to facts on Carlton from the AFL website this week.. 

Docherty trained away from the main group. 

Curnow, Betts, Marchbank and Silvagni did not train. 

Newman, Mackay, Gibbons, Martin, DeKoning, Williamson and Kemp are on modified programs.

Who knows if they are running PBs, hitting targets or improved their game plan knowledge but I know which one is the preferred position particularly with a shortened preseason preparation.

 

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, Wells 11 said:

It’s always positive in January. It always amazes me how many injuries supposedly happen in the last weeks of pre season. It’s all about membership sales atm so I take it all these early reports w a large grain of salt. 

So Burgo is lieing about Our situation with a healthy list now?

Only there to give reports so positive fir membership purposes?

There is no point in mis truths now So I think we have to trust the Club. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 11:34 AM, Wells 11 said:

It’s always positive in January. It always amazes me how many injuries supposedly happen in the last weeks of pre season. It’s all about membership sales atm so I take it all these early reports w a large grain of salt. 

Having been to training on Friday I can say that Burgess's report was correct.  Only Petty, Brayshaw and Hibberd were in rehab.  The only players missing were Vandenberg who we now know is stranded in NSW and I think Hore.

Its early pre-season so it wouldn't surprise if injuries happen as training intensifies and match practice starts.  And some injuries seem quite innocuous - remember Petracca did his ACL coming down from a (I think uncontested) mark at training);  Salem got concussion at a training camp etc etc.  Injuries happen. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that since we moved to Casey we have had little comment in the Hun. Dogs and Saints seems to getting all the attention. Too far for reporters to travel and no reports on here for them to pinch. Not sure if that is good or bad!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, old dee said:

Interesting that since we moved to Casey we have had little comment in the Hun. Dogs and Saints seems to getting all the attention. Too far for reporters to travel and no reports on here for them to pinch. Not sure if that is good or bad!

don't you miss all those wonderful articles written in the 2019 preseason saying how good we were going to be.

Best midfield..best this and that and the list went on. I think every pundit had us in the eight and many had us as premiers.

Bathwater never tasted so good

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor guy, especially after missing all of last year. Mature age out of the VFL, no football in over 2 years by the time he is back, it’s going to make it very hard for him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bugger, poor guy. I was really looking forward to seeing him attack 2021 with some purpose. 

All the best to him with his recovery. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious, will this alter who the club rookie lists in the pre season draft thingie? Having Petty in rehab and now Hore out, doesn't bode well for our stocks.

If there were 2 spots for Deakyn and Kobe Farmer, would they now have their sights on inviting another defender to train in the next month or two and taking 1 of the other 2? Or is it too late ?

Edited by John Demonic
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I'm curious, will this alter who the club rookie lists in the pre season draft thingie? Having Petty in rehab and now Hore out, doesn't bode well for our stocks.

If there were 2 spots for Deakyn and Kobe Farmer, would they now have their sights on inviting another defender to train in the next month or two and taking 1 of the other 2? Or is it too late ?

It shouldn't affect them as Hore will be placed on long term injury list and his replacement will cover him, if we choose to.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have low injuries surely we only take someone short term if Deakyn or Kobe actually show significant development. Otherwise are we not best to sit and wait and see how players who missed drafting perform in feeders comps and load on two mid year rather than wait until next years draft.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    A WALK IN THE PAST by Whispering Jack

    On Monday night, the Melbourne Football Club handed out four life memberships. Two of those awards went to men who are long gone. Charles ‘Chubby’ Forrester and James ‘Jas’ Byrne played for the club in the 1870s, even before the Victorian Football Association was formed. The other two are current skipper Max Gawn and swingman Tom McDonald, who almost left the club at the end of the pandemic-affected 2020 season. Some fans might have raised their eyebrows and wondered whether the emphasis on hist

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUNDS OF SILENCE by Whispering Jack

    This was my first game for points involving the Demons in more than a year and a half and the long march to Carrara turned out to be worthwhile. The game was won in a single withering quarter that was dominated by Melbourne on the back of an outstanding display from Karen Paxman. The four-time All Australian picked up 13 touches for the stanza to set up a five goal to nothing second term after a lacklustre start in which the cleaner, sharper Gold Coast notched up the first two goals of the game

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 1920 when it finally petered out in April of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TASMANIAN TIGER by Whispering Jack

    I first saw Ben Brown on a cold Tuesday night in May, 2013 playing for the Werribee Tigers against Queanbeyan in a televised Foxtel Cup game before a sparse crowd at Etihad Stadium. His teammate and former Demon Jordan Gysberts was the star of the side’s 85-point belting of the hapless ACT club but the then 20 year old, 200cm Brown was also a stand out.  Earlier that year, the athletic big man had left his native Tasmania in an effort to make the grade after being overlooked in three drafts

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: The Cure It could be coincidental but since the AFL Free Agency and Trade Period began, the State of Victoria has recorded eight consecutive days of no new active cases and no deaths from Covid19. It might be a little early to announce that a cure for this dreaded virus has been discovered but one thing can be said with some certainty after following the ins and outs of the free agency and trading process — mankind is still a long way off finding a cure for boredom. That stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    CHANGES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: A very strange year Things might have been somewhat hairy when the 1919 football season opened up in the wake of the ending of a world war and in the middle of a pandemic that took millions of lives but it’s difficult to imagine a more unusual football season than the one that ended a week or so ago. For starters, the footy is supposed to finish on that one day in September on the MCG in mild spring weather; not deep into October at the Gabba amid warnings of tropical storms and h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...