• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems pretty decent news. Gus & Petty seem the only ones a bit behind (as expected). Plus, a good sign they'll get into some actual footy work pretty early.  

This must be Vanders first pre-season in about 4 years not starting in the rehab group. Hopefully he and Nietschke will have uninterrupted pre-seasons this time around. 

Two years ago things were reversed and Melbourne was up at the top of the list with by far the highest number. Nobody gave a toss about us or demonstrated any sympathy for our plight. So yeah, bi

Posted Images

It’s always positive in January. It always amazes me how many injuries supposedly happen in the last weeks of pre season. It’s all about membership sales atm so I take it all these early reports w a large grain of salt. 

• Like 4

I didn't think we'd miss Mitch Hannan but I have to admit it is strange to hear talk of pre-season rehab groups with no mention of Hannan.  I hope the dogs have a good medical dept!

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

This must be Vanders first pre-season in about 4 years not starting in the rehab group. Hopefully he and Nietschke will have uninterrupted pre-seasons this time around. 

Edited by Caligula's cohort
  • Like 9

41 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

It’s always positive in January. It always amazes me how many injuries supposedly happen in the last weeks of pre season. It’s all about membership sales atm so I take it all these early reports w a large grain of salt. 

The spin is always positive. And there’s always injuries as they ramp up contact, match sim and practice games.

But this is January 23 2019:

“Gus (Angus Brayshaw) had a back-issue pre-Christmas which has been resolved.

“The shoulder guys that we had, Harmesy (James Harmes), Neville (Jetta), Jayden (Hunt) and Vanders (Aaron vandenBerg), all joined in training on Monday so they’re virtually full contact now.

“They’ll all do most of the sessions from here on in.”

Misson isn’t worried about too many of the players in a long-term capacity and believes the majority of the rehab group is now ready for full training.

“Billy (Stretch) did 80 percent of the session on Monday – he had that toe operated on last year,” Misson said.

“Oscar (McDonald) had a hip scope, so he’s been going really well in rehab. He’s back in full training now, as is Tim Smith who had an ankle scope, and Trac (Christian Petracca) who had a knee scope.

“There are no major concerns long-term.”

Eight players remain in the rehab group, so with the club set to head on its pre-season camp next week, Misson has provided an update on their individual progress.

Oskar Baker

“Oskar Baker is due to do some training on camp. He did a pretty bad hamstring injury towards the end of the VFL season. Because speed is his main weapon we’ve taken a fair bit of time with him and he’s now put together some really good fast running in rehab.”

Mitch Hannan

“He had a double knee scope so he’s going OK. He hasn’t started football stuff yet but he’s doing a bit of running.”

Nathan Jones

“He just had some back and hamstring issues before Christmas and over the Christmas period that’s been a little bit slow. Because he’s a bit older and it’s the first hamstring he’s done we’re taking it a little bit slower.”

Jake Lever

“Lever had a few issues pre-Christmas primarily with some nerve stuff but he’s definitely over the hump now. He’s starting to run fast, he’s doing agility and looking to start some one-on-one skill stuff next week. We’re confident now he’s over the little issue he had pre-Christmas and he’s starting to put in some really consistent training.”

Jake Melksham

“He’s another one who just had a little hamstring thing before Christmas which has been slow and it’s similar to an injury he had during the season last year. So we’re just taking a little bit more time with it.”

Clayton Oliver

“Clarry had both shoulders [operated on]. He actually joined in a drill on Monday, so he’ll be doing more and more with the group over the next couple of weeks. By the end of camp we expect he’s going to be in full training.”

Jack Viney

“Vines is going really well. He’s probably put together his most consistent training period. So he’ll do some training with the group on camp and then afterwards he’ll be back.”

Guy Walker

“Guy had an issue with his shoulder pre-Christmas just in a contact drill. He actually had a procedure during the Christmas break which is going to be a reasonably slow recovery.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, DubDee said:

I didn't think we'd miss Mitch Hannan but I have to admit it is strange to hear talk of pre-season rehab groups with no mention of Hannan.  I hope the dogs have a good medical dept!

Could go either way with Hannan.

He might kick 35 goals for the Dogs this year and we'll regret not offering him higher coin.

Or he'll continue to be injured and/or float between AFL and VFL.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

The spin is always positive. And there’s always injuries as they ramp up contact, match sim and practice games.

But this is January 23 2019:

“Gus (Angus Brayshaw) had a back-issue pre-Christmas which has been resolved.

“The shoulder guys that we had, Harmesy (James Harmes), Neville (Jetta), Jayden (Hunt) and Vanders (Aaron vandenBerg), all joined in training on Monday so they’re virtually full contact now.

“They’ll all do most of the sessions from here on in.”

Misson isn’t worried about too many of the players in a long-term capacity and believes the majority of the rehab group is now ready for full training.

“Billy (Stretch) did 80 percent of the session on Monday – he had that toe operated on last year,” Misson said.

“Oscar (McDonald) had a hip scope, so he’s been going really well in rehab. He’s back in full training now, as is Tim Smith who had an ankle scope, and Trac (Christian Petracca) who had a knee scope.

“There are no major concerns long-term.”

Eight players remain in the rehab group, so with the club set to head on its pre-season camp next week, Misson has provided an update on their individual progress.

Oskar Baker

“Oskar Baker is due to do some training on camp. He did a pretty bad hamstring injury towards the end of the VFL season. Because speed is his main weapon we’ve taken a fair bit of time with him and he’s now put together some really good fast running in rehab.”

Mitch Hannan

“He had a double knee scope so he’s going OK. He hasn’t started football stuff yet but he’s doing a bit of running.”

Nathan Jones

“He just had some back and hamstring issues before Christmas and over the Christmas period that’s been a little bit slow. Because he’s a bit older and it’s the first hamstring he’s done we’re taking it a little bit slower.”

Jake Lever

“Lever had a few issues pre-Christmas primarily with some nerve stuff but he’s definitely over the hump now. He’s starting to run fast, he’s doing agility and looking to start some one-on-one skill stuff next week. We’re confident now he’s over the little issue he had pre-Christmas and he’s starting to put in some really consistent training.”

Jake Melksham

“He’s another one who just had a little hamstring thing before Christmas which has been slow and it’s similar to an injury he had during the season last year. So we’re just taking a little bit more time with it.”

Clayton Oliver

“Clarry had both shoulders [operated on]. He actually joined in a drill on Monday, so he’ll be doing more and more with the group over the next couple of weeks. By the end of camp we expect he’s going to be in full training.”

Jack Viney

“Vines is going really well. He’s probably put together his most consistent training period. So he’ll do some training with the group on camp and then afterwards he’ll be back.”

Guy Walker

“Guy had an issue with his shoulder pre-Christmas just in a contact drill. He actually had a procedure during the Christmas break which is going to be a reasonably slow recovery.”

Yep...point taken. That was the worst in living memory. Amazingly many  of us still walked into 2019 thinking we might win a flag. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It certainly has been quiet on the Melbourne front with hardly an injuries and any training with almost a full list training is a good indication of a strong preseason .   Makes for  fighting for a spot in the starting line up interesting.

It gives us a chance to have a good start to the season proper with a minimum of fuss.

• Like 3
  • Demonland changed the title to 2021 Injury List
9 hours ago, DubDee said:

Pretty sure he's currently in the Dogs rehab group with Toby McLean and a  few others

• Like 1

There is spin and there is fact. The facts seem to be Petty, Hibberd and Gus are the only players to have missed a main session ignoring Vanders stuck in NSW.  Let’s compare these facts to facts on Carlton from the AFL website this week.. 

Docherty trained away from the main group. 

Curnow, Betts, Marchbank and Silvagni did not train. 

Newman, Mackay, Gibbons, Martin, DeKoning, Williamson and Kemp are on modified programs.

Who knows if they are running PBs, hitting targets or improved their game plan knowledge but I know which one is the preferred position particularly with a shortened preseason preparation.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 7
On 1/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, Wells 11 said:

So Burgo is lieing about Our situation with a healthy list now?

Only there to give reports so positive fir membership purposes?

There is no point in mis truths now So I think we have to trust the Club. 

• Like 2
On 1/15/2021 at 11:34 AM, Wells 11 said:

Having been to training on Friday I can say that Burgess's report was correct.  Only Petty, Brayshaw and Hibberd were in rehab.  The only players missing were Vandenberg who we now know is stranded in NSW and I think Hore.

Its early pre-season so it wouldn't surprise if injuries happen as training intensifies and match practice starts.  And some injuries seem quite innocuous - remember Petracca did his ACL coming down from a (I think uncontested) mark at training);  Salem got concussion at a training camp etc etc.  Injuries happen. 

• Like 3

Interesting that since we moved to Casey we have had little comment in the Hun. Dogs and Saints seems to getting all the attention. Too far for reporters to travel and no reports on here for them to pinch. Not sure if that is good or bad!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, old dee said:

Interesting that since we moved to Casey we have had little comment in the Hun. Dogs and Saints seems to getting all the attention. Too far for reporters to travel and no reports on here for them to pinch. Not sure if that is good or bad!

don't you miss all those wonderful articles written in the 2019 preseason saying how good we were going to be.

Best midfield..best this and that and the list went on. I think every pundit had us in the eight and many had us as premiers.

Bathwater never tasted so good

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Poor guy, especially after missing all of last year. Mature age out of the VFL, no football in over 2 years by the time he is back, it’s going to make it very hard for him.

• Like 2

Bugger, poor guy. I was really looking forward to seeing him attack 2021 with some purpose. 

All the best to him with his recovery. 

• Like 2

I'm curious, will this alter who the club rookie lists in the pre season draft thingie? Having Petty in rehab and now Hore out, doesn't bode well for our stocks.

If there were 2 spots for Deakyn and Kobe Farmer, would they now have their sights on inviting another defender to train in the next month or two and taking 1 of the other 2? Or is it too late ?

Edited by John Demonic

5 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I'm curious, will this alter who the club rookie lists in the pre season draft thingie? Having Petty in rehab and now Hore out, doesn't bode well for our stocks.

If there were 2 spots for Deakyn and Kobe Farmer, would they now have their sights on inviting another defender to train in the next month or two and taking 1 of the other 2? Or is it too late ?

It shouldn't affect them as Hore will be placed on long term injury list and his replacement will cover him, if we choose to.

• Like 1

If we have low injuries surely we only take someone short term if Deakyn or Kobe actually show significant development. Otherwise are we not best to sit and wait and see how players who missed drafting perform in feeders comps and load on two mid year rather than wait until next years draft.  

• Like 3

• Demonland changed the title to Sam Weideman Out for 12 Weeks
  • Demonland changed the title to Jack Viney’s foot injury