Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor   

Farewell Oscar McDonald



Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, binman said:

 

Take Mitch Brown. A key position player, taken at pick 15 by Geelong and delisted by them at the same age as Omac is now (24). Went to the VFL for a season before being drafted by the bombers. Being a big Vivaldi fan, he played four seasons with Essendon, before they too delisted him. And then ironically we drafted him - and have just extended his contract for another season. The classic journeyman.

I reckon Omac was pretty stiff to come out of contract when he did and unlucky to be delisted by us.  

Obviously Lever and May being recruited made things tough (though it is fair to say their recruitment was related to the fact omac is a serviceable player not a star), but I actually think recruiting Ben Brown was a big factor.

With Brown in, we suddenly have a surfeit of forwards - Brown x 2, TMac, Jackson and Weeds. Which means that our best player not to play last season, Petty will almost certainly go back (which will be terrific for us - huge potential as player, an excellent mark, good one on one and will slot into the true full back role perfectly.).

Add in Tomlinson, who is too slow for the position we recruited him for (what's that about?) and the possibility Tmac might also go back (ye gads) and we suddenly also have a surfeit of key defenders.

In order of my ratings, contenders next season for key big defensive positions are: May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson and Tmac (who remarkably we couldn't trade, almost wins a Coleman in 2018 and can't find a suitor two years later).  No need for a sixth key defender.  So goodbye Omac. That's footy. Particularly at the bottom end of the pay grade. 

It would be remiss of me if I let that one pass without acknowledgement.  Well done.

Edited by Jontee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oscar is an unassuming bloke, who probably underrates his football worth. He has his flaws (don't we all!), but he gave it everything and should be respected as a man and as a footballer who made it t

A sad announcement. I have been following the dees passionately for forty odd years (defined by regular attendance at games) and in all sincerity Omac is one of my all time favorite MFC players.

Must remember not to ask you to speak at a funeral.

Posted Images


59 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not a good look  Saints would rather Frawley than Tmac or Omac as a KPB back up

Puts their value into perspective

So sad

Has a comparison being made by the saints of Frawley vs the Mac bros?  I doubt it.

They will get Frawley for 'chips', excuse the pun. 

That comparison of the saints view of 'value' seems a bit of a cheap shot.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d also say that Frawley adds leadership and experience to their backline, a way of being a mentor. I’m not as critical of Oscar as some here but I’d still probably be taking Chip over him even with Frawley definitely being at the end of his career. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kent said:

Not a good look  Saints would rather Frawley than Tmac or Omac as a KPB back up

Puts their value into perspective

So sad

it would also be a sentimental thing, obviously he was kinda forced to retire he didnt announce it till 3 weeks after the season and the only club he would come out of retirement for would be the one his late uncle was famous for. i guess he's thinking this is my way of honouring him and pulling on the colours in his memory

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2020 at 7:02 PM, drdrake said:

I reckon Omac will be at North next season

 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, Elegt said:

no chance. omac will not play afl again. 

You could both be right of course. Getting in a list is only half the battle. However, if Oscar does make it onto another list, I suspect he is more likely to play than not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one regret I have about Oscar is he never got a consistent stretch at Casey with a mature body to show he can dominate VFL games.

Could he have played like Steve May does for the AFL side down at Casey - 20 touches, 10 marks, shut down an opponent? And what would that have done for his confidence at AFL level? 

I doubt it would’ve mattered but he became a regular in the AFL side at a young age on the back of a few decent Casey games. And any time he was dropped over the last two years he didn’t get that chance to really re-establish his credentials. Last year they sent him for a mini preseason, this year it was the hubs and scratch matches. 
 

Im at least mildly interested to see how he goes if given a long stretch in the VFL. Does he become an intercept marker and more aggressive participant in games?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The one regret I have about Oscar is he never got a consistent stretch at Casey with a mature body to show he can dominate VFL games.

Could he have played like Steve May does for the AFL side down at Casey - 20 touches, 10 marks, shut down an opponent? And what would that have done for his confidence at AFL level? 

I doubt it would’ve mattered but he became a regular in the AFL side at a young age on the back of a few decent Casey games. And any time he was dropped over the last two years he didn’t get that chance to really re-establish his credentials. Last year they sent him for a mini preseason, this year it was the hubs and scratch matches. 
 

Im at least mildly interested to see how he goes if given a long stretch in the VFL. Does he become an intercept marker and more aggressive participant in games?

I'd be very concerned if our grand plan was to send Omac to Casey so he can dominate and get his confidence up. I'm sure he is even good enough to do that. 

Genuine AFL players dont need that after 6 seasons. 

Cut our losses, all the best Omac. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smokey said:

I'd be very concerned if our grand plan was to send Omac to Casey so he can dominate and get his confidence up. I'm sure he is even good enough to do that. 

Genuine AFL players dont need that after 6 seasons. 

Cut our losses, all the best Omac. 

I agree with that, I'm just saying it's a shame he never had that development stage. He was pretty much a starting member of the side from age 20 and then when things really started to stall over the last two years he didn't get that confidence boost and to establish that he's too good for VFL level. 

It's not the perfect metaphor but if Oscar was a cricket batsmen he might've had a couple of 50's and a century in year 2 and was then promoted to the test side. And once he was dropped he didn't get that summer making 1000 runs to show he's ready to come back in.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I agree with that, I'm just saying it's a shame he never had that development stage. He was pretty much a starting member of the side from age 20 and then when things really started to stall over the last two years he didn't get that confidence boost and to establish that he's too good for VFL level. 

It's not the perfect metaphor but if Oscar was a cricket batsmen he might've had a couple of 50's and a century in year 2 and was then promoted to the test side. And once he was dropped he didn't get that summer making 1000 runs to show he's ready to come back in.

Yeah once he was dropped, he basically ran the drinks as 12th man. He may not have made it back but it definitely made it hard to find form or confidence.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Will train with Carlton in the hope of getting picked up

I have heard he is speaking to 3 clubs.He definitely is worthwhile and don’t forget we kept him over Frost last year.

  • Like 4
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Will train with Carlton in the hope of getting picked up

If he plays for Carlton, some of our less optimistic fans would suggest he is more likely to play in a grand final than if he had stayed with us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

I humbly admit I was wrong. 

For 47 years I thought Melbourne supporters were different to those of other clubs. Although we have been, in the main, inept for those years, I thought we had the capacity to show some dignity, respect and, for most of us at least, unconditional love for the institution and by implication, its players.

But I was in denial and delusional. 

What I have learnt from this thread is that many are just as egotistical, righteous, ignorant, envious and insecure bully(boys) as other clubs' supporters and those in the broader community. Oscar is not the enemy, just the mirror. It would serve some to cease projecting their own inner demons (pun not intended) on a soul who gave his best and take a deep look inside their hearts and take stock of their own defects of character. The MFC would be better served, and by implication, the broader society, if we appreciated people like Oscar who's been nothing but a demonstration of grace, decency and commitment.

Best post ever

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

O Mac seems like the ultimate confidence player.

When his confidence is sky high, he’s leading a defence that concedes just 6 goals in an elimination final win over Geelong.

When his confidence is rock bottom he’s sent down to full forward just to stay out of the way in a dismal Sydney Swans loss in Cairns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, Queanbeyan Demon said:

I humbly admit I was wrong. 

For 47 years I thought Melbourne supporters were different to those of other clubs. Although we have been, in the main, inept for those years, I thought we had the capacity to show some dignity, respect and, for most of us at least, unconditional love for the institution and by implication, its players.

But I was in denial and delusional. 

What I have learnt from this thread is that many are just as egotistical, righteous, ignorant, envious and insecure bully(boys) as other clubs' supporters and those in the broader community. Oscar is not the enemy, just the mirror. It would serve some to cease projecting their own inner demons (pun not intended) on a soul who gave his best and take a deep look inside their hearts and take stock of their own defects of character. The MFC would be better served, and by implication, the broader society, if we appreciated people like Oscar who's been nothing but a demonstration of grace, decency and commitment.

Absolute claptrap QD Yes you are delusional

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, maximum bob said:

He's appreciated but not up to it. Name me a top six side that would have him in the starting 22.

I doubt many people are arguing with the decision to move him on, but just because a top 6 wouldn’t have him doesn’t mean he isn’t of value to another club in the AFL. 

I think he’s a chance of getting another go, even if it’s just as depth/coverage to a team that doesn’t have a lot of defensive options. If he gets that chance can only wish him the best of luck. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    A WALK IN THE PAST by Whispering Jack

    On Monday night, the Melbourne Football Club handed out four life memberships. Two of those awards went to men who are long gone. Charles ‘Chubby’ Forrester and James ‘Jas’ Byrne played for the club in the 1870s, even before the Victorian Football Association was formed. The other two are current skipper Max Gawn and swingman Tom McDonald, who almost left the club at the end of the pandemic-affected 2020 season. Some fans might have raised their eyebrows and wondered whether the emphasis on hist

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUNDS OF SILENCE by Whispering Jack

    This was my first game for points involving the Demons in more than a year and a half and the long march to Carrara turned out to be worthwhile. The game was won in a single withering quarter that was dominated by Melbourne on the back of an outstanding display from Karen Paxman. The four-time All Australian picked up 13 touches for the stanza to set up a five goal to nothing second term after a lacklustre start in which the cleaner, sharper Gold Coast notched up the first two goals of the game

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BRIDESMAIDS AGAIN by Whispering Jack

    Historians of the future will have little difficulty in finding words to define the year 2020. “Covid-19”, “pandemic” and “plague” come readily to mind. The Covid-19 pandemic dominated the year in every aspect of life and it certainly didn’t spare AFL football or the Melbourne Football Club. In the circumstances however, it didn’t treat it as badly as the Spanish Flu epidemic which raged a century earlier from February 1918, through 1919 and into 1920 when it finally petered out in April of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TASMANIAN TIGER by Whispering Jack

    I first saw Ben Brown on a cold Tuesday night in May, 2013 playing for the Werribee Tigers against Queanbeyan in a televised Foxtel Cup game before a sparse crowd at Etihad Stadium. His teammate and former Demon Jordan Gysberts was the star of the side’s 85-point belting of the hapless ACT club but the then 20 year old, 200cm Brown was also a stand out.  Earlier that year, the athletic big man had left his native Tasmania in an effort to make the grade after being overlooked in three drafts

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: The Cure It could be coincidental but since the AFL Free Agency and Trade Period began, the State of Victoria has recorded eight consecutive days of no new active cases and no deaths from Covid19. It might be a little early to announce that a cure for this dreaded virus has been discovered but one thing can be said with some certainty after following the ins and outs of the free agency and trading process — mankind is still a long way off finding a cure for boredom. That stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    CHANGES 2020 by The Oracle

    Part One: A very strange year Things might have been somewhat hairy when the 1919 football season opened up in the wake of the ending of a world war and in the middle of a pandemic that took millions of lives but it’s difficult to imagine a more unusual football season than the one that ended a week or so ago. For starters, the footy is supposed to finish on that one day in September on the MCG in mild spring weather; not deep into October at the Gabba amid warnings of tropical storms and h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...