• Podcast:     

Farewell Oscar McDonald

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oscar is an unassuming bloke, who probably underrates his football worth. He has his flaws (don't we all!), but he gave it everything and should be respected as a man and as a footballer who made it t

A sad announcement. I have been following the dees passionately for forty odd years (defined by regular attendance at games) and in all sincerity Omac is one of my all time favorite MFC players.

Any person who gets onto an AFL list and gets to play senior footy deserves respect - OMac included. He has achieved more than most. Good luck to him.

Posted Images

I know I'll get howled down for this, but with the right coaching and development I think OMac will become a handy backman. Only 24yo, would do much better at Rich or WCE. Rich turned Grimes into an AA. Not comparing the two, just illustrating that development is king

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 15
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I know I'll get howled down for this, but with the right coaching and development I think OMac will become a handy backman. Only 24yo, would do much better at Rich or WCE 

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s with us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

If this happens, step up J Smith - Demonland's #1 whipping boy!

He wouldn't be a whipping boy if he actually performed when given his opportunities 

He hasnt in my view but the coach obviously loves him.

Next........

• Like 2

Would we actually get anything useful for him? I'd rather keep him as depth. If we have May, Lever and Tomlinson playing as key defenders every game, then that only leaves Smith as defensive key depth, and he's hardly even a key defender. I'd rather Petty be allowed to develop up forward, and I don't want TMac's form to get even worse by swinging him between back and forward.

• Thanks 1

Like ANB, we'll shop him around, but if we don't get any interest or a worthwhile offer, his asking price goes down and we keep as depth. With the various players up for trade we might be looking for trade return or we might be looking to clear up cap space.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

I know I'll get howled down for this, but with the right coaching and development I think OMac will become a handy backman. Only 24yo, would do much better at Rich or WCE. Rich turned Grimes into an AA. Not comparing the two, just illustrating that development is king

It's always a possibility, but his form this year suggests it's not going to happen at Melbourne.

Not every player can succeed at any given club. If he does end up somewhere else and he does get better, so be it, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should retain him.

I'm not against keeping him as depth but having just re-signed Smith, I'm not sure we need to keep both of them, and I do not see OMac as a best 22 player for 2021.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Fine he can go. Put TMAC down back and Petty up forward. Hmmm well maybe not?

It seems clear neither McDonald will be on the list next year.

If we can get a pick for Oscar, we should do the deal.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

Curious that Port supporters over on Reddit seem the most interested in bringing in a tall KPD.  Just wait until Riewoldt and Lynch monster them!

#21 for #16-18

#46 for #52-54

AND YOU GET OMAC.

What a deal!

They'll probably find some one better.

Although I do agree that OMac could perform better in a new environment and don't subscribe to him being useless. He's only out because his contract is finished and Tomlinson has 3 more and can play his position. Similar scenario with Frost being overlooked for OMac last year. Not about ability but cap management.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Development is king - in some cases. Not here.

OMac has some traits that allowed him to have six seasons with us. Not a bad intercept marker, a good kick for his size. A good kid with his head screwed on by all reports.

But his lack of strength in the contest has always been a problem. His biggest deficiency by a mile though is his lack of pace. I've lost count the amount of times he would lumber in behind his opponent who'd take an easy chest mark, not to mention the amount of times the ball would sail/dribble past him for a goal when a faster player, heck any player, would have been able to get a hand on it. No development coach in the world can fix that.

I'm not suggesting he goes out there and doesn't try his best, but he doesn't have the intensity required for AFL footy. That game he played in Cairns was almost Tom Gillies like in its badness and thankfully Goody finally saw the light. 

I wish OMac all the best, but let's face it. In the past decade only one MFC player has actually gone to a new club and flourished (Jeremy Howe). We overrate our players big time, in most cases anyway. 

Edited by No Plan B
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

If this happens, step up J Smith - Demonland's #1 whipping boy!

Who SHOULD be played FORWARD. Until he is given a fair go up Forward.... lets reserve judgement re "Whipping Boy" just yet!

• Like 6

This is so dumb. You can't just trade out every depth player on your list and expect to be competitive. The first time Lever or May gets injured you are back to playing Hore and Smith in the key defensive roles and wondering why the backline is completely dysfunctional. The same goes for trading Preuss and expecting Gawn to play 22 games every year without any support.

And for what? He probably brings a third round pick that will get pushed back to about pick 60 and deliver nothing. Or Goodwin will go ga-ga for yet anothermid-sized forward who can spend the next two years wandering around at Casey.

I'd much rather keep Oscar, build his confidence and work on not allowing his weaknesses to be exposed so easily.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kallangurdemon said:

he is an absolute spud whose only sporting asset is his golf game

Sounds like he should be running a country; or captain of the side, at the very least.

OMac has a reasonably good record of holding highly regarded opponents to limited scoring opportunities. It isn’t always the stats that define a player. I immediately thought that the Hawks would go for him... but wherever he ends up, I wish him well.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, poita said:

This is so dumb. You can't just trade out every depth player on your list and expect to be competitive. The first time Lever or May gets injured you are back to playing Hore and Smith in the key defensive roles and wondering why the backline is completely dysfunctional. The same goes for trading Preuss and expecting Gawn to play 22 games every year without any support.

And for what? He probably brings a third round pick that will get pushed back to about pick 60 and deliver nothing. Or Goodwin will go ga-ga for yet anothermid-sized forward who can spend the next two years wandering around at Casey.

I'd much rather keep Oscar, build his confidence and work on not allowing his weaknesses to be exposed so easily.

You are just as likely to pot the club for keeping him when he puts in a bad performance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to Oscar McDonald Not Expected to be Traded