• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Gary Pert on The Deebrief

Sir Why You Little

2 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

Soft interview. Lots of platitudes. And it left me even more unhappy.

Here are two things which I think are rubbish.

(I am trying to remember what Pert said, but these won't be verbatim)

1. No coach goes out to do anything less than his best

2. When we play at our best or near our best, we can beat the top sides.

ok, they sound all right, but for #1, SG doing his best isn't necessarily enough. We want THE best coach and Goodwin's best might be well short of that. 

And which team in the AFL when playing at their best or near best can't beat the top sides? We want to be so good that we win even when we're not at our best. Like Richmond and Geelong have recently done.

i sincerely hope Pert's real approach to our future is just being masked by the politically correct answers he has given. We want to be more ruthless, right? Maybe we start with the coach. 

2 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

So there you have it. Look at No 2.  When we play our best footy we can beat anyone. Well, apart from being factually untrue this statement now is not just something Goody has put into impressionable players heads but convinced the hierachy of as well. Sure on a given day if we are playing say, Port, the coach might say,  guys we are good enough to beat them today, Fine, but to tell a group of young men with lots of learnings required  as a Club supported statement is ridiculous and damaging as it is very likely to be taken the wrong way by some.Are you really saying that side of the past weeks can beat anyone?  It is a bit like telling a student you could  be  a A grade student. Some will strive to  achieve that what was said and other will rest on their laurels and that is an established fact of how young men behave.

3 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

Soft interview. Lots of platitudes. And it left me even more unhappy.

Here are two things which I think are rubbish.

(I am trying to remember what Pert said, but these won't be verbatim)

1. No coach goes out to do anything less than his best

2. When we play at our best or near our best, we can beat the top sides.

ok, they sound all right, but for #1, SG doing his best isn't necessarily enough. We want THE best coach and Goodwin's best might be well short of that. 

And which team in the AFL when playing at their best or near best can't beat the top sides? We want to be so good that we win even when we're not at our best. Like Richmond and Geelong have recently done.

i sincerely hope Pert's real approach to our future is just being masked by the politically correct answers he has given. We want to be more ruthless, right? Maybe we start with the coach. 

The more I think of all of this, not that expected Pert to say anything, he and Goodwin are totally spin masters and I’m less confident than ever. Pert lost me earlier on and Goodwin well before that. Supporters are being spun total rubbish to cover up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP: 'Very open and frank'.

Everyone else: 'Nothing revealed - straight bat/spin only'.

Anyway, apart from reiterating that we're set on finding a base somewhere close to the 'G, did he mention anything else of note?

Pert's never going to reveal anything major re: the Coach etc, but any tidbits about strategy etc? Doesn't sound like it's worth listening to the whole thing, so appreciate any info!

Edited by Rogue
  • Like 1

This isn't anything new, we keep hearing, when we at our best we can beat any side in the AFL.

In 2018 we played some good footy, however i would not call this at our best. The players had a sniff beating the hawks and cats, then getting smashed by the west coast. 

2019 was a lot of players were injured and the rest is history.

2020 we have had an almost full list of fit players, that are not even close to beating even the lower sides.

Yes we bet sides this year, but we seem stuck, not going to the next level. Sides that were below such the lions, saints and even the blues have shown way more improvement than we have, even after having high picks in past drafts.

Why does this keep happening to us? The players basic skills have gone, they mess up way to much for professional side.

Pert said we are looking for a home base close to the G, well that's all we have heard for years now, nothing gets done.

Where near the G? There is no land any more, so how the hell can this even happen, or is it even going to happen?

I love my club but sadly i am so sick and tired of nothing happening, are we there just make up the numbers for the AFL?

Because it sure feels we are going no where fast.

• Like 1

It wasn’t a soft interview imv. The boys had to tread a fine line between going too hard and risk never getting an interview with Pert again (and he wouldn’t answer the questions anyways) and going too soft in which case the whole thing becomes pointless.

There was plenty of corporate speak but that’s the norm for these type of interviews. Talk of frustration, passion, traits, qualities is fluff but these questions allowed Pert to get comfortable and rhyme off his responses.  The question about the final 2 games caught him off balance, he wasn’t expecting it and his answer spoke volumes.

My read is Goodwin is coaching for his job these last 2 games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Heard on the grapevine that a number of assistant coaches believe their contracts wont be renewed next year for what its worth.

No arguments from me. Wouldn't mind targeting Brad Scott in some capacity, we talk about being ruthless... he's the man for that. Had that North team over achieving for a long period of time. 

1 minute ago, RedFox said:

No arguments from me. Wouldn't mind targeting Brad Scott in some capacity, we talk about being ruthless... he's the man for that. Had that North team over achieving for a long period of time

when was that exactly?

Pert - well lets just be nice and say lots of bluff and puff but none of the real stuff (Success) - next !

Goodwin - I used to believe - but now sadly zero faith 

We have seen this cycle over and over with this club - they are the perennial tease

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

Heard on the grapevine that a number of assistant coaches believe their contracts wont be renewed next year for what its worth.

I hope they all go, but how many assistants has he had in four years? Also some of the best going around have sat next to him in Jennings, McCartney and Rawlings, then throw in the experience of Richardson who may not have made a senior coach but highly regarded assistant. This is a big problem, Goodwin has no idea and he doesn’t want to be told either imo 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, faultydet said:

We lost consecutive games to the 13th and 14th placed sides, with a guaranteed finals place on offer.

The season ended last round, and it was BAD

I agree, but Pert isn’t going to say a lot whilst he has to look after 400 people in a hub in Queensland 

If the team shows no fight in the last 2 Rounds Goodwin should be removed along with his Assistants 

49 minutes ago, Kent said:

I believe this is the way forward.

Goody won't be sacked due to his contract and we all know this.

What the club should do is:

1. Look for the very best assistants we can to come in with fresh ideas and to improve each line.

2. Look to replace Mahoney with an experienced football boss (Neil Balme ideal).

3. Make some hard decision on player personnel to fix the deficiencies - this may mean Viney and TMac are moved on as part of this.

This reminds me of the Tigers in 2016 after 3 straight finals exits and a mediocre season (finished 13th) the media were saying their window is closed and they should start the re-build. They then did a full restructure of the coaches and brought in some talent (think they traded Deledio as well) and fast forward four years they are going for a third flag.

I'm not saying we will do the exact same, but sometimes  sacking the coach isn't the answer and if internally the players like playing for Goody then there must be something else that needs fixing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

1. Look for the very best assistants we can to come in with fresh ideas and to improve each line.

2. Look to replace Mahoney with an experienced football boss (Neil Balme ideal).

3. Make some hard decision on player personnel to fix the deficiencies - this may mean Viney and TMac are moved on as part of this.

This reminds me of the Tigers in 2016 after 3 straight finals exits and a mediocre season (finished 13th) the media were saying their window is closed and they should start the re-build. They then did a full restructure of the coaches and brought in some talent (think they traded Deledio as well) and fast forward four years they are going for a third flag.

I'm not saying we will do the exact same, but sometimes  sacking the coach isn't the answer and if internally the players like playing for Goody then there must be something else that needs fixing.

Will paying him out be that much out of pocket? He’s not going to get a full pay out. Also he doesn’t listen to his assistant coaches imo and they end up leaving. If we are 1-4 next year, the club will be well on its way to folding. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

The trouble is Action it appears Goodwin is deaf to outside advice.

Low IQ and stubborn is not a good combination.

I fear even with the best assistants available this guy will not take advice

He should be sacked

BTW the assistant I referred to above was  Plapp

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kent said:

The trouble is Action it appears Goodwin is deaf to outside advice.

Low IQ and stubborn is not a good combination.

I fear even with the best assistants available this guy will not take advice

He should be sacked

BTW the assistant I referred to above was  Plapp

This is what worries me about next year. 
If he refused to learn from the 2018 Preliminary Final then he won’t change now. 
i wonder what Pert is really saying behind closed doors 

Pert spoke of living the dream of the Roos/Jackson model.

But the Roos/Jackson handover 4 years on has resulted in 12 wins 25 losses in 2019/20. 

The coach they handed the baton to has fumbled the baton. 

It's an industry of fine margins. Goodwin is only a few percent off whack, but that's all it takes to drop games. He's good guy, well liked, but underwhelms in identifying and nurturing player strengths and talent.

Time to analyze and assess the changes made since 2017.

- have we have brought in the right players (Jack Martin or Tomlinson??), (Lever or 2 first round picks??).

- have we have developed our players to their strengths? Is TMac really a power forward?? Or a swingman who finished off mid dominance pre 6,6,6? If we developed Tmac as a defender we would not have needed Lever and we'd have 2 gun picks up forward. I think it is time for fresh eyes across the list. Time for Melksham TMac and Hunt to go the backline where they belong!! And get Salem kicking inside 50. And get Bennell, Bedford and Kozzie in the forward line trapping it in.

Does Bennell need to be languishing? 5 devastating Bennell kicks could get us over the line against Swans and Freo. Like Walters showed.

Is Goody really inspiring the players to play a defined and confident role?

Results are results and his time is up. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pitchy said:

Pert spoke of living the dream of the Roos/Jackson model.

But the Roos/Jackson handover 4 years on has resulted in 12 wins 25 losses in 2019/20. 

The coach they handed the baton to has fumbled the baton. 

It's an industry of fine margins. Goodwin is only a few percent off whack, but that's all it takes to drop games. He's good guy, well liked, but underwhelms in identifying and nurturing player strengths and talent.

Time to analyze and assess the changes made since 2017.

- have we have brought in the right players (Jack Martin or Tomlinson??), (Lever or 2 first round picks??).

- have we have developed our players to their strengths? Is TMac really a power forward?? Or a swingman who finished off mid dominance pre 6,6,6? If we developed Tmac as a defender we would not have needed Lever and we'd have 2 gun picks up forward. I think it is time for fresh eyes across the list. Time for Melksham TMac and Hunt to go the backline where they belong!! And get Salem kicking inside 50. And get Bennell, Bedford and Kozzie in the forward line trapping it in.

Does Bennell need to be languishing? 5 devastating Bennell kicks could get us over the line against Swans and Freo. Like Walters showed.

Is Goody really inspiring the players to play a defined and confident role?

Results are results and his time is up. 

Excellent post true and so obvious 

IMO, it seems like the board is holding up its part of the bargain, not assisted allowing us to fund/ support the football dept

We made changes to the football dept and they "seem" happy with those changes.

IMO it feels as though they need to make fundamental changes to the programs within the coaching dept, even though we are looking at other clubs, for me, we are not doing what other clubs are doing.

what needs to change in the training structures?

what needs to change in the development program?

what needs to change in the individual payer program?

what changes need to be made in each part of the field?

what changes need to be made from the game plan/ style?

The players are not executing, so there are issues with the program, communication and style. The amount of shots and uncontested possessions that Freo had tells me that the forward half of the ground was not doing their job.

I believe that we have the playing group to challenge, minus some plodders and key position players.

I dont believe we have the right coaches around them to challenge. Pert says the players love Goody, but it doesnt look like it from the outside. in our case, perception is reality 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydee said:

when was that exactly?

Pert - well lets just be nice and say lots of bluff and puff but none of the real stuff (Success) - next !

Goodwin - I used to believe - but now sadly zero faith 

We have seen this cycle over and over with this club - they are the perennial tease

Made consecutive prelims and had a career W/L over 50%. Given I'm of the opinion that our current list is far superior talent wise to those teams he coached, that's a solid effort. 

2 hours ago, Kent said:

No Good having asssitant coaches if you dont listen to what they say.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RedFox said:

Made consecutive prelims and had a career W/L over 50%. Given I'm of the opinion that our current list is far superior talent wise to those teams he coached, that's a solid effort. 

Basic stats on disposal efficiency and efficiency from inside 50 entries (which is appalling) would suggest there isn't that much talent 

Sometimes it's hard to accept that our players just aren't much chop - apart from five to maybe eight of them I think the rest would struggle to get a game for the likes of WC or Geelong atm 

They include May, Petracca, Brayshaw, Max, Oliver, - you could mount a case for Viney, Lever and Langdon but the rest I doubt would be getting a run right now 

2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

You know your coach is bad when Brad Scott gets nominated as a replacement. 

The guy irritates the hell out of me, and is rivaled only by his twin brother in terms of most punchable heads in footy. But to be fair he had a winning record of over 50% and took a decidedly average list to 2 prelims. AFL seems to be the only sport where 'failed' head coaches don't generally get a second chance.

Prefer others, but I'd take him if the alternative was an untried rookie. Not the worst option out there IMO.

• Like 3