Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Whispering_Jack

CHANGES: Rd 02 vs Carlton

Recommended Posts

 

B:  Jetta May Hibberd

HB:  Salem O. Mac  Lever

😄 Langdon Oliver Tomlinson

HF:  Melksham Fritsch Petracca

Fwd:  Pickett  T. Mac  Weideman

Mid:  Gawn Brayshaw Viney

Harmes Hore Jones Lockhart (vanders if fit)

 

I think O. Mac is needed for lever to be at his intercepting best.   If the matchup isn't there then he misses out Hore goes in and then a Hunt or Baker comes into the 22 for speed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ben russell said:

I don’t agree that Bedford can’t be considered for selection. I hope he is named. He and Kozzy running around our forward line is a sight I would like to see regularly this season.

Bedford might be one for the future, but we're playing for the here and now.

We need 22 players that can make genuine contributions in order to get a win. If the selectors believe he'll make a meaningful contribution  in round 2 then play him, but I have my doubts.

I don't want to be like Gold Coast when they roll out half a dozen players each week that are nowhere near AFL standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Half forward flank said:

On what basis does Hibberd get a game. Time to shake the tree. 

 

What has happened to his kicking? Used to be an absolute strength of his.

Might be his last year of regular footy if he doesn't recapture his 2017/2018 form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Travy14 said:

 

....

 

I think O. Mac is needed for lever to be at his intercepting best.   If the matchup isn't there then he misses out Hore goes in and then a Hunt or Baker comes into the 22 for speed.  

I think I remember him. Doubt we'll see him this year unless the VFL cranks up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FB: Jetta - May - Hibberd

HB: Salem - Lever - Harmes

C: Tomlinson - Viney - Langdon

HF: Trac - Weid - Melksham

FF: Pickett - TMac - Fritsch

R: Gawn - Oliver - Brayshaw

I: Jones - Smith - Bedford - ANB

----

E: Hore - Brown - Lockhart 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spargo and Brown are outs. 

Salem and Jones are ins. But need the Weid back in as a key forward. 

So for team balance , I have Bedford as the unlucky out. 
 

Blues are missing tall forwards in Curnow and McKay so perhaps Hore could replace Omcd for balance 

 

Jetta may omcd (Hore)  

salem Lever Hibberd

Tomlinson  Viney Langdon 

Petracca Tmcd Melksham 

Fritsch Weid kozzzy

Gawn Brayshaw oliver

Lockhart jones Harmes Anb 

emerg - Bedford Hore Hunt 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Travy14 said:

 

B:  Jetta May Hibberd

HB:  Salem O. Mac  Lever

😄 Langdon Oliver Tomlinson

HF:  Melksham Fritsch Petracca

Fwd:  Pickett  T. Mac  Weideman

Mid:  Gawn Brayshaw Viney

Harmes Hore Jones Lockhart (vanders if fit)

 

I think O. Mac is needed for lever to be at his intercepting best.   If the matchup isn't there then he misses out Hore goes in and then a Hunt or Baker comes into the 22 for speed.  

Don't want to see Lever's game being that of filling in for OMac and thus, losing its rebound advantage from his intercepts and freeing up (unmanning) another two opposition forwards when the ball is in that vicinity. This is what happened to Hibberd, Jetta and Salem in the past, week in, week out - leaving OMac to be 15 metres behind the play running into empty space (slow as a tortoise). Lever needs to work with May, not on behalf of OMac.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jetta May omcd 

Salem Lever Harmes

Tomlinson  Viney Langdon 

Petracca Jackson Melksham 

Fritsch Tom kozzy

Gawn Brayshaw oliver

Lockhart Jones Weid Anb 

emerg - Bedford Hore Hunt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B: Jetta, May, Lever

HB: Salem, Omac, Hibberd

C: Langdon, Oliver, Tomlinson

HF: Melksham, Tmac, Jones

F: Pickett, Weideman, Fritsch

R: Gawn, Viney, Petracca

I: Harmes, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Hannan

 

Would have AVB or Bennell in for Hannan if fit. Harmes rotates in the backline. I think Salem and Jones were two big outs as they are just about our two best kicks in the team. I'm tipping Jones to have a big year across half forward like we saw in the pre season, he will significantly improve our forward entries as well as finishing goals. I'd tip us to win all those games from rounds 2-5. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Don't want to see Lever's game being that of filling in for OMac and thus, losing its rebound advantage from his intercepts and freeing up (unmanning) another two opposition forwards when the ball is in that vicinity. This is what happened to Hibberd, Jetta and Salem in the past, week in, week out - leaving OMac to be 15 metres behind the play running into empty space (slow as a tortoise). Lever needs to work with May, not on behalf of OMac.

Dee 56 not sure your logic is correct.

Omac does  not  fill in for Lever!

Omac takes a key possie and plays totally on that player ie WC Darling or Kennedy and Lever plays his own game intercepting

What  does  happen Sometime is that our defence pushes up and Omac is left minding the oppositions nearest  goal forward on his own with no teammate nearby to help (each other) 

Hore is not a bad player BUT he is not strong enough for the monsters or quick enough for the speedsters. He in fact is an interceptor like Lever and I don't think we can carry two of that style in defence.

Also neither Hibbo or Nev really did anything to suggest they are back to their best ( or even near)  in Round1. 

I believe Rivers and Lockhart should be not far away from getting their real chances to shine and stay in the team.

Lets see but plenty of room for improvement.

May Lockhart and Oscar were easily our 3 best in Round1. Harmed was lost mostly get him on the ball or forward or maybe a wing.

I also believe Tomlinson May end up being our third tall some  times As I am still not convinced ring is his best position fir us.

Go Dees 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

If you go by R1 performances O Mac definitely warrants selection. The problem was up the other end of the field. The only way O Mac misses selection depends on the match ups. Looking at Carlton’s injuries on another thread I can’t tell you which other tall forwards they have available apart from Casboult.

Rd 1 is irrelevant really.

Oscar isn't best 22 so it will be determined on our injuries or match up whether he gets a game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 58er said:

Dee 56 not sure your logic is correct.

Omac does  not  fill in for Lever!

Omac takes a key possie and plays totally on that player ie WC Darling or Kennedy and Lever plays his own game intercepting

What  does  happen Sometime is that our defence pushes up and Omac is left minding the oppositions nearest  goal forward on his own with no teammate nearby to help (each other) 

Hore is not a bad player BUT he is not strong enough for the monsters or quick enough for the speedsters. He in fact is an interceptor like Lever and I don't think we can carry two of that style in defence.

Also neither Hibbo or Nev really did anything to suggest they are back to their best ( or even near)  in Round1. 

I believe Rivers and Lockhart should be not far away from getting their real chances to shine and stay in the team.

Lets see but plenty of room for improvement.

May Lockhart and Oscar were easily our 3 best in Round1. Harmed was lost mostly get him on the ball or forward or maybe a wing.

I also believe Tomlinson May end up being our third tall some  times As I am still not convinced ring is his best position fir us.

Go Dees 

Opposition teams actually try to get this match up. Its a gift for them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Opposition teams actually try to get this match up. Its a gift for them

On last years form both None if our defenders except Lever and May in a few games were much good.

Defence must play as a team and assist each other

Oscar was good vs WC and I think he us our best bet fir 3rd tall if needed by match ups.

Very rarely he gets a total bag on him and should try to mark more and be more attacking than just punching out and tap ons in some circs.0

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Bedford might be one for the future, but we're playing for the here and now.

We need 22 players that can make genuine contributions in order to get a win. If the selectors believe he'll make a meaningful contribution  in round 2 then play him, but I have my doubts.

I don't want to be like Gold Coast when they roll out half a dozen players each week that are nowhere near AFL standard.

You have contradicted yourself there, if Bedord is the future, how does he get game experience here and now

Also I suggest you look at WCE small fwd stats before you use slaughtered in reference to Jetta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

You have contradicted yourself there, if Bedord is the future, how does he get game experience here and now

Also I suggest you look at WCE small fwd stats before you use slaughtered in reference to Jetta

It's a balancing act with Bedford. Yes he could be part of the future, but wins are high stakes for Goodwin this year and he needs players that are going to contribute more than 2 kicks in a game of footy. If he's not ready, he's not ready.

Mind you, who else do we have in the small forward depth chart beside Wagner and Bennell who you can't be relied upon? So he might keep his spot regardless.

I can only assume Jetta - our premier small defender was on Liam Ryan - their premier small forward. Unfortunately Ryan kicked 3.3 and was in everything. Furthermore, Ah Chee who hasn't been able to cement a spot for years kicked 2. If he was on neither of those blokes, then I apologise.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

It's a balancing act with Bedford. Yes he could be part of the future, but wins are high stakes for Goodwin this year and he needs players that are going to contribute more than 2 kicks in a game of footy. If he's not ready, he's not ready.

Mind you, who else do we have in the small forward depth chart beside Wagner and Bennell who you can't be relied upon? So he might keep his spot regardless.

I can only assume Jetta - our premier small defender was on Liam Ryan - their premier small forward. Unfortunately Ryan kicked 3.3 and was in everything. Furthermore, Ah Chee who hasn't been able to cement a spot for years kicked 2. If he was on neither of those blokes, then I apologise.

 

What about Jonesy he will kick 2 a game at least if left to play guests A big plus he and Salem also. 
Bedford May miss out because of Jonesy but would really like him to be given a run at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Demon Dude said:

i reckon a marking target like Weideman or Petty will come in at the expense of Brown.

one of Hore or Smith could come in for OMac if the Blues don't go too tall forward.

the experienced Jones and Salem come in for youngsters Spargo and Bedford.

 

Are there 2 Weidemans on our list?  Weed has regressed to double grabbing even uncontested marks and really needs to turn things around quickly. Finding a reasonable amount of the ball would be a great start.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Are there 2 Weidemans on our list?  Weed has regressed to double grabbing even uncontested marks and really needs to turn things around quickly. Finding a reasonable amount of the ball would be a great start.

Weideman has one chance against Carlton IMO and then it's give Jackson a go. Lose the first two of the next four and the season is over

Playing him in the ruck in the practice game is now looking like  a major error as it denied him an opportunity to get his forward play working.

With 16 minute quarters I am tempted to try Bennell earlier rather than later on the assumption that his game time is limited to 50-60% for the first few games. The rest of the team will just have to cover.

TBH I cannot see us getting our act together in the first few games but one never knows...the other teams may be just as bad. I do know that if we had played Richmond GWS and the Pies in our next three matches we would be 0-4.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Are there 2 Weidemans on our list?  Weed has regressed to double grabbing even uncontested marks and really needs to turn things around quickly. Finding a reasonable amount of the ball would be a great start.

well I actually said Weideman or Petty, but who else do we really have? Brown? give me a spell. he might be an ok replacement option if Melksham or Fritsch or Hannan are all out injured, but he's definitely not a key forward. Jackson doesn't have the body strength or craft to play as a key forward yet either. 

and Goodwin could help his tall forwards out a lot more by letting them have equal numbers forward as the opposition. it might help their confidence if they can actually get a 1 on 1 with also a decent kick to their advantage. something that rarely happens for them.

Edited by Demon Dude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

It's a balancing act with Bedford. Yes he could be part of the future, but wins are high stakes for Goodwin this year and he needs players that are going to contribute more than 2 kicks in a game of footy. If he's not ready, he's not ready.

Mind you, who else do we have in the small forward depth chart beside Wagner and Bennell who you can't be relied upon? So he might keep his spot regardless.

I can only assume Jetta - our premier small defender was on Liam Ryan - their premier small forward. Unfortunately Ryan kicked 3.3 and was in everything. Furthermore, Ah Chee who hasn't been able to cement a spot for years kicked 2. If he was on neither of those blokes, then I apologise.

 

I don't remember who was on him when he got his first, but I think from memory Ah Chee might have got his second goal straight after his first in about 10 seconds flat when Melksham was moved to him for the very next centre bounce. Melksham ran off into the centre square leaving Ah Chee all alone at the top of the 50m mark, meanwhile the bounce went straight to Nicnat who then threw it on the boot forward straight to a 3 on 2 with Melksham caught in no mans land and doing his best impression of an Olympic walker on his way back to help out. shocking football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The Weed has to be picked to play as he was hard done by the selectors in the 1st round. The preseason game played in the ruck and held his own with close to 20 touches  . A very useful game it was.  Remember that at the time we had injuries to Gawn and Preuss .

He  deserves  a chance to prove himself early in the season and should have been given first crack as a key forward in round 1..

Edited by nosoupforme
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

What has happened to his kicking? Used to be an absolute strength of his.

Might be his last year of regular footy if he doesn't recapture his 2017/2018 form.

Trying too hard to do the difficult pinpoint passes rather than the team orientated kicks to a set position. Seems to be caught between doing the team thing and taking the team on. ANd his skills have deserted him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Playing him in the ruck in the practice game is now looking like  a major error as it denied him an opportunity to get his forward play working.

A major error 'Jim', agree with you there.

29 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Trying too hard to do the difficult pinpoint passes rather than the team orientated kicks to a set position. Seems to be caught between doing the team thing and taking the team on. ANd his skills have deserted him

Not sure about the pinpoint passes, he's often bombing to no one, nowhere...a team disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Rd 1 is irrelevant really.

Oscar isn't best 22 so it will be determined on our injuries or match up whether he gets a game.

Footy is back.  And so is some of the the same nonsense here on DL

Round one is irrelevant?

After a full preseason and every single key defender available (bar petty who has been ear marked as forward) who does Goodwin select to play against arguably the best forward line, with two of the best 5 key forwards? 

Omac.

On that evidence Goodwin clearly considers him best 22.

Omac plays round one and keeps his direct opponent goalless and he barely takes mark. With May, our best defender on the day. 

We don't play a game between that game and our second game. So apart from training drills and some match sims (which also took place preseason and resulted in Omac being selected in round one) Goodwin has no other game to base selection on.

Yet round one is irrelevant.  

Really?

Omac will be selected.

Whilst round one is obviously not irrelevant where i do think it might have an asterix in terms of selection decisions is with players who were really poor in that game, not the ones who played well like Omac.  

The asterix might mean Hibberd gets game. If he does he will be very lucky as he was flat out terrible in that game. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rjay said:

Not sure about the pinpoint passes, he's often bombing to no one, nowhere...a team disease.

I would love it if he actually tried to pinpoint a pass rather than kick helicopters 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    QUARRANTINO by Whispering Jack

    At a little after 4.00pm last Saturday, the MCG ceased to be the centre of the AFL universe. That was when the AFL’s el supremo Gil McLaughlin announced that the Bombers’ Conor McKenna had returned a COVID-19 positive result and declared that the game set for the following day between Essendon and Melbourne was postponed.  What followed was truly the stuff of a pulp fiction novel. We witnessed a suitcase load of mental gymnastics and spin calculated to let McKenna (and the Essendon Football

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHADDA WE SING? by Whispering Jack

    When the Melbourne team sang “The Grand Old Flag” last Saturday at Marvel Stadium in the absence of skipper Max Gawn, Ed Langford and Adam Tomlinson who were first time winners at their new club and Jayden Hunt, the leading goal kicker of the day it was passed off as an honest mistake. Taken in isolation, it most probably was accidental but the problem is that little accidents have been happening far too often in the club’s recent history and, in this case, it was symptomatic not only of a day t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A POINT OF DIFFERENCE by George on the Outer

    It was Melbourne v Carlton at the comics stadium; a game between 16 and 17 in 2019. How could anyone pick a winner?  There had to be a point of difference, and so it would prove to be as the Demons literally fell over the line at the end, by a solitary point. In an almost complete replica of the Richmond v Collingwood game two nights previously, one of the sides (Melbourne in this case) rushed out to a five goal lead in the first quarter, while the Blues failed to bother the goal umpir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EXPOSED FORM by The Oracle

    Carlton fancies itself to beat Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Saturday and, based on exposed form, why not? The Blues took it right up to the reigning premiers in their last up start and the Demons were simply horrible against the Eagles at Optus Stadium. That opening game of the season revived all of the nightmares of 2019 for a team that went inside the 50 metre arc 45 times, an advantage of 10 times over the home side and yet lost by almost five goals. Such statistics sum it up for a gam

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...